Start by marking “Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)” as Want to Read:
Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)

Almost Dead (San Francisco #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  9,106 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
A Woman Who Wants To Get Even . . .

The first victim is pushed to her death. The second suffers a fatal overdose. The third takes a bullet to the heart. Three down, more to go. They're people who deserve to die. People who are in the way. And when she's finished, there will be no one left. . .

Will Do Whatever It Takes For Revenge. . .

Cissy Cahill's world is unraveling fa
Published August 1st 2007 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

Win a Copy of This Book

Almost Dead
    Release date: Jan 30, 2018
    ENTER FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A COPY OF ALMOST DEAD BY LISA JACKSON!

A Woman Who Wants To Get Even . . .
    The first victim is pushed to her death. The se

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 1194 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 07 - Dec 25, 2017

Countries available: US and CA

• Friend Reviews

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
    MY Faves!
    383 books — 185 voters
    Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutMagic America by C.E. MedfordStarlet's Web by Carla J. HannaThe Help by Kathryn StockettGRIT The Banter and Brutality of the Late-Night Cab by Karl Wiggins
    Winners
    117 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine Kirchoff
    Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
    I read this awhile ago but I never rated it on here. Great book!
    Vin9
    Feb 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
    I am so annoyed by these so called "thriller writers" who disguise the book cover and plot on back cover to make the novel seem a first rate thriller whereas the novel is a harlequin romance duplicate with a few pathetic "suspense moments" thrown in.

A few dreadful things about this book-

* Heroine Cissy is a spoilt narcissistic bitch who thinks she is superior to everybody and is clearly rude to all her family members who even care to give her a time of the day.

* For the whiny heroine the only th
    Juanita
    Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
    Review: 1CAlmost Dead 1D by Lisa Jackson. This is a great book. I recommend it to all lovers of suspense, muders, mystery, thriller and most of all REVENGE. It was a book I had a hard time putting down. The story was amazing and keep me on guard. I would think one way the story was going and it just kept changing. It was an intriguing and an exciting book to read.

The story was about a well known three generation Family. In that family there was one secret and that secret was about to be exposed.
    Sheila
    Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Pretty involved murder mystery involving the rich and privileged in San Francisco. When the matriarch of the wealthy Cahill family is murdered in her mansion the suspicion falls on her daughter in law who recently escaped from prison. Several murders follow and things aren't always what they appear. Good story.
    Susan
    Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
    I have read many Lisa Jackson books and have liked them all. I found this book to be very long and boring. There seemed to be no plot at all and the ending was predictable. This was one book that I considered not finishing. I was glad when I finally got to the last page.
    Anita
    Personal biases aside, this was actually not as bad as I had been expecting, though not as great as I'd hoped for either.  While the beginning was kind of slow to get into, and the characters were hard to really relate with or like, this was overall pretty entertaining with a plot twist that was actually quite startling, in a good way.

Still, lots of plot holes, and try as I might, I couldn't really get myself to like any of the characters.  Even the sometimes adorable toddler got annoying at tim
    Steffanie
    Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
    Another good book, I thought I had it figured out pretty early on but there were quite a few twists & turns I hadn't thought of. A good read, quite a few times I found myself not able to put it down.
    Paula Brandon
    Oct 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
    This features - hands down - the most horrid main character I've ever had to endure in a book. Ever! I HATED Cissy. HATED!!!! I wanted the killer to finish her off. She was HORRIBLE.

Did I mention how much I hated Cissy?!? Oh my God, she was awful. Stuck-up, snotty, entitled, belligerent, irrational....you name it!
    Rebecca
    Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: crime-thrillers
    I'm not sure I will be reading anymore Lisa Jackson books as I've found the more I read them, the weaker I find them. I felt this one especially was really, really repetitive. Cissy would tell Jack to leave, he would stay, she would accept it. The next morning she would 'come to her senses', he would leave - then return the same day, and she would make weak protests and accept it. Meanwhile her family members are getting bumped off so a bit of the chapter would be about that and how Cissy was pa ...more
    Teena in Toronto
    Jul 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
    This was a big book ... there were a lot of pages. Which was fine but it didn't have to be. It could have been cut down a lot.

The writing style was okay. The story was so-so ... kind of convoluted. I didn't buy the ending ... the "whodunnit". At the end, I said "whatever". If I say too much, I'll give it away so I'll leave it at that. And I didn't really care about any of the characters except for Coco, the dog.

Would I recommend it? No.
    Mahareni Sukadi
    Berjam2 stlh bc buku ini,perut msh jg terasa melilit.Ntah krn blm ilang tegangnya,ntah krn emosi tlh diaduk2 tnpa ampun...I dont know.
    Mrs. Jackson sukses mnggiring persepsi pmbaca k arah kiri,sdg d akhir crita trkuak klo prsepsi pmbca hrsnya k arah knan.Bnr2 sukses bkin gw trkecoh bangeeet,smp was2.
    Stlh bc endingnya...legaaaa.Meski gw msh agak bngung dg motif trjadinya all that crime,tetep deh gw ksih 5.
    Mirella Grace
    Ceritanya tidak seseru buku pertama tentang Marla Cahill. Tapi terus terang saja, cerita tentang Jack Holt bener bener bikin saya penasaran. Seganteng apa sih doi...

Anyway anyhow, another good book from Lisa Jackson. jadi nyadar juga kalo di luar sono mungkin aja ada orang yang psycho seperti Deidre Lawson...
    Alexis
    Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    WOW. this book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Literally until the Epilogue. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a book. Just when you think you have bits and pieces figured out it throws you for a loop & then you're like "oh for sure I understand it all now..." NOPE. Definitely recommend if you enjoy Murder Mysteries. Cannot wait to start my next book by this author.
    Adreanna
    Jun 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
    I couldn't even finish this book, sadly. I love Lisa Jackson but this book was so dull. it seemed like the only thing going on was one character complaining about her ex husband. then another character complaining about never leaving the house. someone dies and there is MORE complaining. couldn't finish it
    Judy Churchill
    Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
    The plot was complicated and well executed, but character development was somewhat lacking. It was a story so filled with bad people doing bad things that it made me a little nauseated. This book is marketed as a suspenseful book and that is definitely what it is.
    Dani love
    May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    This book was very good, it caught my attention at the very beginning. I was very confused because of the little parts of the girl in the hospital. At first I didn't know who she was, And when I realized who she was. I was shocked to the bone.
    Larry
    Nov 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
    Just about fifty pages in, here's my review: insipid, dull, insulting.
    Joan
    Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Late for her weekly visit with her grandmother, Cissy Holt reaches Eugenia’s Cahill’s home, pizza in one hand, young son in the other . . . and finds her grandmother dead, apparently from a fall down the stairs.
    A second death follows shortly after Eugenia’s and Cissy realizes that someone [perhaps her escaped from prison mother?] is killing off Cahill family members. Will Cissy be next? Or can she solve the mystery of who is murdering her family . . . and why?

This intense narrative, although a
    Dale Safford
    Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I wasn't liking this book early on because I couldn't find anything likable about the main character, and she was divorcing her husband who was a perfectly good man. Then it got better as she and her husband reconciled and worked together to give their little guy a good life and combat the bad things going on around them.

Cissy Cahill's prisoner mother Marla has escaped, and now her wealthy grandmother Eugenia Cahill is murdered in her own home. The family fortune is going entirely to Cissy, and
    Jodi
    Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
    Shelves: kindle, 2017-read
    I'm glad I read this rather than listened to it. This book is a somewhat sequel to If Only She Knew only this we are following Cissy Cahill, who is all grown up with a child of her own. Her mother has just escaped from prison and family members are dying right and left starting with Cahill family matriarch and it is clear that Cissy is on the list. At first, suspicion is on Marla but it just doesn't seem likely. Marla was an indifferent mother. While she might have murdered others, Cissy would n ...more
    Dan Quigley
    Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
    I can recommend this book for young thriller readers that like action and don't demand a lot else from their story. I am not one of these. I liked that there was a tight plot for this novel and it provided some suspense, but I had problems with it too. For me the situations were handled in overly melodramatic fashion. Also, I like surprises, but those surprises are when one was given every opportunity to see that a situation was one way, but it turned out to be another. In this book, the author ...more
    Cassidy Ostergren
    Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
    Although Lisa Jackson is a decent writer, I feel as though half of her novels are nothing more than the characters' back-and-forth thoughts. This book could have easily been cut down in size if all the "telling" rather than "showing", repetitive internal monologues, and unnecessary dialogue between the H/H was reduced or removed. It certainly would have helped move the plot along. I could feel the Zzzzs coming on.
    Mary Katherine
    Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
    I liked this book a lot. I've never read anything by Lisa Jackson until now. I doubt I would've ever found this book if someone hadn't given it to me. It's a really good murder/crime thriller that held my attention. This book is the second of two that have the same characters. I haven't read the first one and I was fine reading this one (although I may read the first to get some more background).
    Arlingtontexican
    Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
    Personally, I shy away form stories of revenge that take a lifetime to set up. A gripe about this particular story, way, way too much time focused on the seperation between the two main characters...we have murder after murder going on and all the main character can think of is being pissed at her ex. I have a sister in law been carrying a grudge so maybe it's genetic, attached to the X chromosome.
    Jessica Young
    Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
    I would give this 2.5 stars but not three because it didn’t grab me first thing like other books I’ve read from Lisa Jackson. I wasn’t into the story until over half way done and that was when it grabbed my attention and I wanted to finish to find out what was going on. I’m glad I didn’t give up on the book because the ending did have a good twist.
    Kirsten Switzer
    Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
    The most poorly written and painful books to read. The only reason I finished it was out of obligation (I passed my 75 page rule), I read it over 5 months, reading multiple books in between. Choppy storyline, poorly developed characters. I would have soon re-read Mutiny On The Bounty from Grade 8 Language Arts 32 years ago!
    Chris Birdy
    Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
    Total surprise. I expected a variation on the cop theme from her previous books, but what I got was a romantic suspense. There was lots of action as family members were killed one by one. The story had shades of Sandra Brown - sort of Sandra Brown does San Francisco. It was a good, entertaining read.
    Conni Harness
    Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    And this series ends...really good read if you like psychological thrillers. Twists, turns, abound. Wow this Author, is the best at writing in a way that you just cannot see through until she wants you to. Seriously! Keep it up, love this Author!!!
    Sandra Crane
    Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
    Another great read from this author. A lot of twists and turns that kept me guessing til the end. I had read the first book- If She Only Knew, so I was excited to continue the Cahill family story. I was not disappointed! I wish there more!
    Anita Hargreaves
    Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    One of my favourite authors, keeps you guessing to the end.
    • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
    • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
    • And Then You Die
    • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
    • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
    • Kiss Her Goodbye
    • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
    • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian, #1; The Malones, #2)
    • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

More about Lisa Jackson...

San Francisco (2 books)
    • If She Only Knew (San Francisco #1)