Start by marking “Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)” as Want to Read:
Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)

Almost Dead (San Francisco #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  8,903 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
A Woman Who Wants To Get Even . . .

The first victim is pushed to her death. The second suffers a fatal overdose. The third takes a bullet to the heart. Three down, more to go. They're people who deserve to die. People who are in the way. And when she's finished, there will be no one left. . .

Will Do Whatever It Takes For Revenge. . .

Cissy Cahill's world is unraveling fa
Published August 1st 2007 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
MY Faves!
305 books — 183 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutMagic America by C.E. MedfordStarlet's Web by Carla J. HannaThe Help by Kathryn StockettGRIT The Banter and Brutality of the Late-Night Cab by Karl Wiggins
Winners
112 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine Kirchoff
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this awhile ago but I never rated it on here. Great book!
Vin9
Feb 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I am so annoyed by these so called "thriller writers" who disguise the book cover and plot on back cover to make the novel seem a first rate thriller whereas the novel is a harlequin romance duplicate with a few pathetic "suspense moments" thrown in.

A few dreadful things about this book-

* Heroine Cissy is a spoilt narcissistic bitch who thinks she is superior to everybody and is clearly rude to all her family members who even care to give her a time of the day.

* For the whiny heroine the only th
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review: 1CAlmost Dead 1D by Lisa Jackson. This is a great book. I recommend it to all lovers of suspense, muders, mystery, thriller and most of all REVENGE. It was a book I had a hard time putting down. The story was amazing and keep me on guard. I would think one way the story was going and it just kept changing. It was an intriguing and an exciting book to read.

The story was about a well known three generation Family. In that family there was one secret and that secret was about to be exposed.
Sheila
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty involved murder mystery involving the rich and privileged in San Francisco. When the matriarch of the wealthy Cahill family is murdered in her mansion the suspicion falls on her daughter in law who recently escaped from prison. Several murders follow and things aren't always what they appear. Good story.
Susan
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
I have read many Lisa Jackson books and have liked them all. I found this book to be very long and boring. There seemed to be no plot at all and the ending was predictable. This was one book that I considered not finishing. I was glad when I finally got to the last page.
Anita
Personal biases aside, this was actually not as bad as I had been expecting, though not as great as I'd hoped for either.  While the beginning was kind of slow to get into, and the characters were hard to really relate with or like, this was overall pretty entertaining with a plot twist that was actually quite startling, in a good way.

Still, lots of plot holes, and try as I might, I couldn't really get myself to like any of the characters.  Even the sometimes adorable toddler got annoying at tim
Steffanie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good book, I thought I had it figured out pretty early on but there were quite a few twists & turns I hadn't thought of. A good read, quite a few times I found myself not able to put it down.
Rebecca
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
I'm not sure I will be reading anymore Lisa Jackson books as I've found the more I read them, the weaker I find them. I felt this one especially was really, really repetitive. Cissy would tell Jack to leave, he would stay, she would accept it. The next morning she would 'come to her senses', he would leave - then return the same day, and she would make weak protests and accept it. Meanwhile her family members are getting bumped off so a bit of the chapter would be about that and how Cissy was pa ...more
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a big book ... there were a lot of pages. Which was fine but it didn't have to be. It could have been cut down a lot.

The writing style was okay. The story was so-so ... kind of convoluted. I didn't buy the ending ... the "whodunnit". At the end, I said "whatever". If I say too much, I'll give it away so I'll leave it at that. And I didn't really care about any of the characters except for Coco, the dog.

Would I recommend it? No.
Mahareni Sukadi
Berjam2 stlh bc buku ini,perut msh jg terasa melilit.Ntah krn blm ilang tegangnya,ntah krn emosi tlh diaduk2 tnpa ampun...I dont know.
Mrs. Jackson sukses mnggiring persepsi pmbaca k arah kiri,sdg d akhir crita trkuak klo prsepsi pmbca hrsnya k arah knan.Bnr2 sukses bkin gw trkecoh bangeeet,smp was2.
Stlh bc endingnya...legaaaa.Meski gw msh agak bngung dg motif trjadinya all that crime,tetep deh gw ksih 5.
Paula Brandon
Oct 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
This features - hands down - the most horrid main character I've ever had to endure in a book. Ever! I HATED Cissy. HATED!!!! I wanted the killer to finish her off. She was HORRIBLE.

Did I mention how much I hated Cissy?!? Oh my God, she was awful. Stuck-up, snotty, entitled, belligerent, irrational....you name it!
Mirella Grace
Ceritanya tidak seseru buku pertama tentang Marla Cahill. Tapi terus terang saja, cerita tentang Jack Holt bener bener bikin saya penasaran. Seganteng apa sih doi...

Anyway anyhow, another good book from Lisa Jackson. jadi nyadar juga kalo di luar sono mungkin aja ada orang yang psycho seperti Deidre Lawson...
Alexis
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW. this book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Literally until the Epilogue. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a book. Just when you think you have bits and pieces figured out it throws you for a loop & then you're like "oh for sure I understand it all now..." NOPE. Definitely recommend if you enjoy Murder Mysteries. Cannot wait to start my next book by this author.
Adreanna
Jun 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
I couldn't even finish this book, sadly. I love Lisa Jackson but this book was so dull. it seemed like the only thing going on was one character complaining about her ex husband. then another character complaining about never leaving the house. someone dies and there is MORE complaining. couldn't finish it
Judy Churchill
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The plot was complicated and well executed, but character development was somewhat lacking. It was a story so filled with bad people doing bad things that it made me a little nauseated. This book is marketed as a suspenseful book and that is definitely what it is.
Dani love
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was very good, it caught my attention at the very beginning. I was very confused because of the little parts of the girl in the hospital. At first I didn't know who she was, And when I realized who she was. I was shocked to the bone.
Larry
Nov 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Just about fifty pages in, here's my review: insipid, dull, insulting.
Joan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Late for her weekly visit with her grandmother, Cissy Holt reaches Eugenia’s Cahill’s home, pizza in one hand, young son in the other . . . and finds her grandmother dead, apparently from a fall down the stairs.
A second death follows shortly after Eugenia’s and Cissy realizes that someone [perhaps her escaped from prison mother?] is killing off Cahill family members. Will Cissy be next? Or can she solve the mystery of who is murdering her family . . . and why?

This intense narrative, although a
Jodi
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2017-read
I'm glad I read this rather than listened to it. This book is a somewhat sequel to If Only She Knew only this we are following Cissy Cahill, who is all grown up with a child of her own. Her mother has just escaped from prison and family members are dying right and left starting with Cahill family matriarch and it is clear that Cissy is on the list. At first, suspicion is on Marla but it just doesn't seem likely. Marla was an indifferent mother. While she might have murdered others, Cissy would n ...more
Cassidy Ostergren
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Although Lisa Jackson is a decent writer, I feel as though half of her novels are nothing more than the characters' back-and-forth thoughts. This book could have easily been cut down in size if all the "telling" rather than "showing", repetitive internal monologues, and unnecessary dialogue between the H/H was reduced or removed. It certainly would have helped move the plot along. I could feel the Zzzzs coming on.
Mary Katherine
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot. I've never read anything by Lisa Jackson until now. I doubt I would've ever found this book if someone hadn't given it to me. It's a really good murder/crime thriller that held my attention. This book is the second of two that have the same characters. I haven't read the first one and I was fine reading this one (although I may read the first to get some more background).
Chris Birdy
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Total surprise. I expected a variation on the cop theme from her previous books, but what I got was a romantic suspense. There was lots of action as family members were killed one by one. The story had shades of Sandra Brown - sort of Sandra Brown does San Francisco. It was a good, entertaining read.
Conni Harness
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And this series ends...really good read if you like psychological thrillers. Twists, turns, abound. Wow this Author, is the best at writing in a way that you just cannot see through until she wants you to. Seriously! Keep it up, love this Author!!!
Anita Hargreaves
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite authors, keeps you guessing to the end.
Judy Hottman
One of her best books
Lyn
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read! Wow!
Raquel Fitzgerald
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great plot. Very mysterious and provocative.
Amy Cox
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was pretty good. Fast. The characters had grown up since the last book. Did not expect the ending.
Cassandra
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
sooooooo suspenseful. gripping every page to the very end!
Kanella
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not a fan, I didn t know it was a book 2. I felt in the dark. I never found out what Marla was in prison for.
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • And Then You Die
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian, #1; The Malones, #2)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

More about Lisa Jackson...

San Francisco (2 books)
  • If She Only Knew (San Francisco #1)