Start by marking “My Shadow Is Pink” as Want to Read:
My Shadow Is Pink

My Shadow Is Pink

My Shadow Is Pink is a beautifully written rhyming story that touches on the subjects of gender identity, self acceptance, equality and diversity. Inspired by the author’s own little boy,  the main character likes princesses, fairies and things "not for boys." He soon learns (through the support of his dad) that everyone has a shadow that they sometimes feel they need to h ...more
Published April 1st 2021 by Larrikin House

To ask other readers questions about My Shadow Is Pink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Shadow Is Pink

Start your review of My Shadow Is Pink
COLLEEN CROCKER
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought a new book for the boys and I agreed to read it twice tonight tearing up both times. I love how different my boys are, I've loved every phase and every quirk. This book celebrated everything different about them and made it beautiful. My biggest wish is for my boys to never doubt the love and acceptance at home, and my hope is that they will not be hurt by those who are afraid of their own shadow. If you need a good, beautiful book to read to your kids or grandkids I'd highly recommend ...more
Caitlin
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot tell you how much I loved this book!!! Everything about it made me so happy and I think kids would love it as well. It handles emotions and feelings so honestly. Beautiful. The illustrations are lovely, too. Perfect fit!
Anastasia
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
So beautiful! I teared up.
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
One of my five year old sons favourite books. He received it as a gift for his birthday and I’m so glad he did, because it’s a beautiful way of exploring a child’s feelings though the medium of words and pictures.

The lead character, though we never know his name, has a pink shadow. His dad has a blue shadow, and he worries about his little boy. The story shows them coming together and bonding over their differences. This is a truly enlightening book about accepting individuality and a must have
Nancy White
I thought this was a lovely, child-friendly exploration of gender identity and self-acceptance. Not sure I like the pink/blue dichotomy, because it did feel like it was reinforcing the gender binary and thus undermining the central thesis of the text. But nevertheless, quite a sweet read.
Valerie Doherty
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Pink Day on Days of the Year Calendar. I must read something about the topic today! This is an inspirational book written by a father to his son, after the child experienced bullying in school. Highly recommend if this has happened to you or someone you know. Books are a perfect way to introduce tough topics when someone might think they are the only one that has experienced a specific problem. ...more
Sars
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my son tonight and I had to stop every few pages to compose myself because I was crying so much. What an amazing, beautiful book this is. Fantastic for any parent who wants to support their child, or just teach them that every one is different and those differences are what makes you special.
Ed.Mowgli.Rei.Riley.River.Crow.Jelly.Cheddar.Remus.Becky.Whatever.RJ.Edward.Edwin.Edmund
Adorable, I love it! Every person should read this.
Anna Hayman
Thank you to @ssarahreads on tiktok for reading this out loud to me :)
Julie
May 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not me crying at a children book narrated on tiktok
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
A longer version of this review was published on Lost in a Good Book

There is so much to love about this story. The fear of liking things “not for boys” is explored so well and there are so many different interpretations of what this could apply to. Stuart doesn’t specify but instead explores how whatever the reason, a pink shadow is ok and a boy with a pink shadow is not something to worry about.

The narrative is told through rhyme which has a lovely flow and it fits in and around the illustrati
Nicole Johnstone
It's a shame Goodreads only allows 5 stars because I would give this book 100 if I could. The book is one big beautiful message about being who you are meant to be and unconditional love.

It's the perfect story to introduce gender identity and diversity to children. My children loved the story and when we were finished my 6 year old said "Do you know what I think happened next? I think he found more friends with pink shadows too".

Such a beautiful story. I will be reading this to my children for
James Layton
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an important and timely book. The shadow concept is a genius metaphor.
Paul Decker
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book as an eARC from Larrikin House via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

his picture book has great art with a wonderful rhyming story all done with great intention and with a heartfelt message. Every person has shadows that match their inner desires and things that society often shames people for doing/liking based on preconceived ideas and norms. The protagonist has a pink shadow that likes to dance
J.M. Northup
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*What a wonderful story of empowerment and unconditional love!*

I learned about this book from my daughter. She asked me to purchase it for my granddaughters, telling me she read it and loved it. Then, when she received it, I read it... and loved it. It is a marvelous tale about being true to who you are and of being loved as you are. That is such an important message for ALL our children - for adults, too!
I really like that it doesn't make it about any particular anything. It talks about people
Heather Gallagher
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I thought this was such a clever exploration of gender identity in a way that small kids will understand. A little boy grapples with his pink shadow when most of those around him, especially the Dad he adores, have blue shadows. There were some really moving stanzas about acceptance - eg. 'Some they will love you...and some they will not. But those that do love you they'll love you a lot.' My absolute favourite spread was when the Dad appears in a dress. It would be nice to think we didn't need ...more
April Gray
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-in-2021
What a sweet book! It has such a relatable tone for kids, about feeling different and being torn between wanting to be like others and fitting in, or being honest about who you are, being your true self. I love how supportive the father is, sitting down with his son, showing him family photos of others in their family who had something different about them, and letting his son know it's okay to be different- some people might not like you because of it, but some people will love you for who you ...more
Holly Matthews
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give more than 5 stars, this book is AMAZING. This is exactly the kind of book that should be getting published in 2020. It shares with young children that it is okay to be different than what you think it "normal". The main character in this is most likely transgender, and it is something that should get introduced at a younger age, and should also be considered "normal". I hope there are more children's books that include the LGBTQ / Trans community to come out in the near futur ...more
Mel Rowsell
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My Shadow is Pink by Scott Stuart, is quite easily the most beautiful children’s picture book I have read in a long time. Simple illustrations and rhyming verse tell the story of a boy who struggles to fit in, because his shadow is not blue like those of his brothers and father and friends, his is pink!

This is a gorgeous story of finding the courage to be yourself and find your place in a world that may not understand your differences. My Shadow is Pink is truly a book a courage and acceptance.
lili
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Words cannot explain how much I love this book! Beautiful story about acceptance and being yourself! The illustrations were simple and still eye catching.

The only reason this didn't get a 5 star review is because the shadows on the other characters were a little confusing. In some scenes, some girls had blue shadows and some boys had pink. And at one point the main character was the only one with a pink shadow.

But this is definitely a book I'll read to my class again! Absolutely loved it!
Szymon
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit, 2020
Your shadow is pink, I see now it's true. It's not just your shadow, it's your innermost you.
Cute little kids book with beautiful art that is great to introduce your child to gender expression. Sure, associating pink with feminine and blue with masculine presenting people is a bit old-fashioned but for what this book tries to achieve, using the colours works fine.
Chloe Callow
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a sweet and endearing story about a young boy who likes to do things his own way. It has a great message about being yourself and accepting others. I would love to keep this book in my future classroom so that my students know that I will accept them no matter how they choose to represent themselves and their personalities.
Deisy Vargas
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book teaches students how to be accepting of their own person. Although book does follow some stere types (blue for boys and pink for girls) the author does a really good job at portraying the characters and how he's felling. ...more
Kirstie Mckeown hanrahan
Beautiful story showing that being different is OK. It made me cry the first time I read it. I used to work in a nursery and I wish this book was out then so I could read it to the toddlers as we had quite a few boys who liked wearing dresses.
Bruna De
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly the type of books we need in children's category. Beautiful way to educate the little ones about how gender is not black and white, to accept that everyone is different and that stereotypes are not an accurate representation of the reality. ...more
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Bibliovixen
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book on being authentic and for the parents/caregivers who support children being who they are.
Madelyn Chandler
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book and very age appropriate for younger children. This book is a perfect way to introduce younger children what LGBTQ is and shows a great representation.
Alexandra Guest
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an incredibly beautifully written and illustrated story. I teared up at the end! Its messaging is just spot on, for everyone.
Karen Hendriks
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quirky and original and on trend with such a strong voice.
2019 Roe Reading ...: My Shadow is Pink 1 2 Oct 03, 2020 07:00AM

• What We'll Build: Plans for Our Together Future
  • So Much
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • LOVE
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • Eat Your Peas: A Daisy Book
  • Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
  • Under the Same Sky