Start by marking “Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius, #1)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius, #1)

Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  3,894 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
In a time when the Industrial Revolution has become an all-out war, Mad Science rules the World...with mixed success. At Transylvania Polygnostic University, Agatha Clay is a student with trouble concentrating and rotten luck. Dedicated to her studies but unable to build anything that actually works, she seems destined for a lackluster career as a minor lab assistant. But ...more
Published August 12th 2002 by Studio Foglio (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
940 books — 4,136 voters
Worm by Wildbowxkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Best of the Web
289 books — 329 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, graphic
I was both eager and reluctant to read this. Eager because girl genius steampunk adventure? With great reviews? Awesome! Reluctant because, um, well you see the same cover I'm seeing, right? But hey, sometimes the cover art on graphic novels isn't the same as-- Oh. No. It is the same. Cartoony and exaggerated, with the added distraction of lots of details that were interesting but left me with the choice of either ignoring half of them or reading much slower than the story calls for. Most of all ...more
Patrick
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this series for years, and I really can't say enough good things about it. You can read the whole thing online if you like, but I really recommend buying copies from their website. Selling books is how these folks make their living. It's important to support things like that.
Skip
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A graphic steampunk novel sounded great, but it wasn't. The story was confusing and puerile. The main character Agatha was inconsistent, sometimes pathetic, but sometimes brash and outspoken. Baron Wolfenbach was heartless, but his son, Gilgamesh, has some promise to become more than his father. Not sure if I will continue the series or not.
Stephen
1.5 to 2.0 stars. I am not sure how this one didn't work for me. I love steampunk as a genre, I enjoy gaslamp stories and I am a fan of the graphic novel format. The story just didn't interest me enough. I thought it was okay, but I was expecting to like it a lot more.
Raina
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok, people. Phil Foglio was doing steampunk comics WAY before the teenagers caught on. This was published in 2001. 2001. (Yes, it needed to be said again.)

ANYWAY... So yeah, this is pretty groundbreaking. The library edition I read is printed all in brown&white, except for an excerpt of the next volume at the end. And I know this shouldn't be my firstish comment about the book, but OMG, this is SO MUCH BETTER in color. Which, I know, is a total DUH. The Foglios (which always throws me off b
Brandon
Mar 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This series is *excellent*.

Its a graphic novel from Phil and Kadjia (I prob. misspelled that) Foglio.

Their art is great and the work is *really* interesting.

Essentially, its an alternative earth where Mad Science is very real. Mad Scientists are said to posses the 'Spark' and are able to build amazing things . . . unfortunately there is a reason that they are called 'Mad'. Essentially, it manifests as a complete inability to determine if they *should* build just because they can. For this reaso
Yvensong
I wanted to like this more than I did. The drawings are entertaining. The plot was a bit weak, though I think it will make more sense in the 2nd book. What bothered me the most was the way the MC, Agatha, a teenager is drawn. As a previous reviewer asked, why is she drawn like a 40-year old barmaid with a boob-job? In some ways, I think the artists were trying to imitate Manga, with the extreme exaggerations, but they somewhat missed the mark.
Alexa
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been following this webcomic for 5 or 6 years, and sometimes I binge read the whole thing again (it's starting to get to long to do this, but who cares? It's fun!) My last re-read was last month (May 2014!) and I decided it's probably a good time to review it.

Girl Genius is set in a steampunk society where some people are "sparks" or talking plainly: geniuses. The thing is, most of the time when people "get the spark" or become a spark, they also go insane. The kind of insane that builds m
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
So I looked this one up online (and read it there for free) as I was struggling with the 13th volume which is a 2014 Hugo finalist for Best Graphic Novel, and while this is from only one point of view - Agatha's - it's still a little disjointed and hard to follow. Almost every sentence of dialogue feels like it should end with a exclamation mark. It's high drama, or melodrama. But perhaps that's a mark of the mad science genre - I wouldn't know, I'm new to it.

Agatha is a strong female role mode
Andrea
Re-reading the physical volumes to refresh my memory, since the online version has now (after an epically long time) referenced the event that started Agatha's adventures off.

The art has become cleaner and crisper since these early days, but otherwise is not too different - and a very pleasant world it is, full of a very broad range of people. We meet Agatha, who is the workshop failure, never able to successfully invent anything. She is having a very bad day, and that's even before she draws th
Meg
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Girl Genius in its online version, www.girgeniusonline.com. It caught my attention from the get go. A very different Europa is under the rule of the ruthless Baron Klaus Wulfenbach. The story concerns Agatha Clay, a girl dedicated to science and invention who just can't seem to make anything work.

Full of monsters, madboys and girls, Jagermonsters (very attached to their hats), and legends of the Heterodyne boys, the visually stunning art and the excellent writing will sweep
Maddie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun but hard to follow at times. Steam punk world with a spunky female heroine and some interesting villain characters...
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, book one had some good characters but A LOT of set up. Stuff definitely got rolling- ancient legend, awakened main character, a big death, baddie and baddie jr who are both strong and smart (smarts- rare and admirable to see in antagonists)... Not as comedic as I thought it'd be. I do like where the plot is going but felt like I didn't get to see too much of it in book one. Certainly makes me curious to read more though! Parts kind of remind me of Zelda (mostly the ancient legend, awakened m ...more
Brenda Clough
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The kickoff for a truly delightful and famously enjoyable graphic series, which is up to eleven volumes as I write this. All of them are available at the Girl Genius web site, so you don't have to buy the paper books until you're hooked. Plan to have several free hours before you start in, because they're very addictive! And, just to enable you, after you suck through all the comics on line, there is a wiki, a yahoo group and several livejournal groups.
Because it's PG, this is a great webcomic t
Brenda
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This graphic novel follows the story of a family of Sparks - people gifted with the ability to manipulate the laws of physics. It's told as history and placed in a world with a steampunk ethos. The story and illustration are only moderately involving. Nothing very interesting or innovative occurs and I found myself extremely disappointed as I really enjoy the trappings of the steampunk movement. I unfortunately bought volume 2 of this series and will probably read it just to be sure, but I can't ...more
Teghan
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Well drawn and some panels were actually quite beautiful, but I just couldn't get into it. The main character was annoying...I tire of constantly coming across heroines who are clumsy and stupid, even though she's supposed to be a student in this series. Its not adorable, its patronizing.

I did however enjoy how they drew her as she wasn't super thin and busty, so that was nice.

The story was also a little choppy as if there was a panel or four missing between pages.

The steampunk visuals were r
Kate
Pretty good storyline and characters. Lots of time establishing the characters, world, and storyline in this first volume, but the pace picks up The artwork doesn't appeal to me completely and it's the drawing of Agatha in particular and some of the other women that really annoy me. Agatha is the hero of the story and it's great to see a smart, determined female character, but she is depicted as a big breasted, tiny waisted, big butt blond. Other women are similarly drawn. Ugh. I did like the ja ...more
Kevin
Phil Foglio has been an inspiration of mine since a teenager. He draws in such a great cartoony-yet-realistic style, even if his young characters tend to look alike. If you have not read Girl Genius, check it out online at http://www.girlgeniusonline.com - where you can read the entire series up to the most recent update (M-W-F). Humorous fantasy in the great tradition of, um, Pratchett? Monty Python? It's very silly, but very smart stuff.
Lori
Originally published online as a Web comic (where it can be found at www.girlgeniusonline.com), this series follows the exploits of a young woman, Agatha, who discovers she is the lost heir to a long-feared dynasty. Instead of a terribly serious version of this tale, the author/artist stick to humor over horrors. Still friends and enemies die, leaving their mark on Agatha as she grows to understand who she is and what she can do.
Ember
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HUGELY FUN, and if you want a story that loves and uplifts its heroine this is GOLD TIER. Also, gives me actual hope for a happy polyamorous end to a love triangle. (And if it doesn't, I probably won't have to be disappointed about it for a decade or so!)

(This is a review of the comic as a whole if that wasn't INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS.)
Katja Weinert
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun! I don't usually read graphic novels, but I'm now converted. Plus, I've been inspired to buy the novelisation, as I kept thinking that it would do brilliantly as a novel.

Steampunk at its best, IMHO.
Ridley
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I just spent 20 straight unshowered hours reading this comic online from start to the present day.

Beautiful art style, non-stop action, romance, science and a kick-ass heroine who's a little bit dangerous. I'm hooked.
Angela Randall
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This really just set the scene without really getting into what Agatha's like as a genius. Some of the characters are quite colourful and the mood of the comic is awesome.

And now, I must buy more.
Joy Deane
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Not entirely sure what I make of this yet. The story does have promise, and is probably worth continuing, but the pace is a bit frenetic and confusing and the artwork is a bit over-the-top. I expect it's the kind of thing that will grow on me.
Jasmine
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: steampunk and comic lovers
Recommended to Jasmine by: someone on another website :D
interesting first volume, made me want to go and read the next, that's good enough for me
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics

I was pleasantly surprised by this.

I should have listened to all the positive reviews sooner.

I love the steampunky feel to it.

Will definitely be reading more.
Marta
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun, inventive, with cool steampunk art - but also confusing. I was not a fan of Agatha's oversexualized character design - wasn't she supposed to be smart and nerdy?
Cait
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
In theory, I love this book, but in practice, I've picked it up three or four times, and never gotten past page 40.
Sharon
An original and entertaining steampunk graphic novel, Agatha is a wonderful heroine. Great characters, wonderful setting and world building, if perhaps a little confused initially.
Selena
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
That was fun. Gotta love geniuses and robots and explosions.
All About Fantasy!: Girl Genius Vol 1 4 7 Jun 09, 2016 08:52AM
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1: Orientation (Gunnerkrigg Court #1)
  • Digger, Volume One (Digger, #1)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 1 (FreakAngels, #1)
  • Under New Management (Schlock Mercenary, #3)
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • The Art of Steampunk
  • Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (The Order of the Stick, #1)
  • ElfQuest: The Searcher and the Sword
  • Lady Mechanika #0 (The Demon of Satan's Alley)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes Magic: The Gathering, Buck Godot, and the popular series of comics and novels, Girl Genius, co-written with his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Awards:
Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)
More about Phil Foglio...

Girl Genius (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius, #2)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius, #3)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams (Girl Genius, #4)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius, #5)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Golden Trilobite (Girl Genius, #6)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius, #7)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius, #8)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm (Girl Genius, #9)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Guardian Muse (Girl Genius, #10)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Hammerless Bell (Girl Genius, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
“Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan.” 24 likes