Start by marking “An Unlikely Proposal” as Want to Read:
An Unlikely Proposal

An Unlikely Proposal

Their friendship can survive almost anything…

For two best friends,

marriage could be their greatest test yet…

Published February 1st 2021 by Love Inspired

To ask other readers questions about An Unlikely Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unlikely Proposal

Start your review of An Unlikely Proposal
Sarah Monzon
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Those little girls are as cute as this story is!
Nicole
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Unlikely Proposal by Toni Shiloh is a fabulous modern-day marriage of convenience story. Often novels with this trope, especially in contemporary storylines, seem unrealistic, but Toni Shiloh reveals convincing reasons why the two best friends should marry and creates a delightful tale that readers are sure to enjoy. The gorgeous cover draws readers into this book, but the incredible writing keeps readers invested in the storyline until the very last page.

Best friends Trinity Davis and Omar Y
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
If you asked me for my top two favorite romance-novel tropes, I wouldn’t hesitate at all to say ‘friends to more’ and ‘marriage of convenience’. Imagine my giddiness to discover that Toni Shiloh’s latest romance combines both of those tropes. Throw in the diverse characters and that absolutely adorable cover and I was happy dancing when my copy arrived in the mail!

Even with such high expectations I had set for An Unlikely Proposal, Shiloh still managed to exceed them. The characters are so richl
Kav
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a certain fondness for marriage of convenience stories but it isn't often that a contemporary romance featuring this trope can fully draw me in because it just seems so unbelievable in the 21st century. But guess what? Toni Shiloh not only drew me in, she kept me in a read-in-one-sitting frenzy because Trinity and Omar's situation is so believable.

Best friends for years, they have supported each other through some tough situations and they adore each other in a platonic, I-don't-want-to-
Beth | Faithfully Bookish
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
featured on FaithfullyBookish.com

Y'all know I pretty much adore all of Toni Shiloh's stories but this one set my expectations for a level-up reading experience... then proceeded to blow those expectations through the roof!

Trinity and Omar's dedication, devotion, and determination create a modern-day marriage of convenience plot that is easy to believe in. Those adorable little girls are the perfect balance of sassy and sweet.

The plot, characters, and heart of An Unlikely Proposal are extra wonde
Sydney
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
In her novel An Unlikely Proposal, author Toni Shiloh brings to life a heartwarming and inspiring story of faith and romance. This charming story marvelously blends together two romance tropes, friends to lovers and a marriage of convenience. This is a light, cute, and easy read story that booklovers will thoroughly enjoy. And to add to the fun of the story, there are two adorable little girls that brighten the turn of every page as well. A story with plenty of tenderness and heart, readers will ...more
Rose (Adventurous Bookworm)
This was absolutely adorable. rtc

~~~

It is not an exaggeration to say that I've been waiting for months to read a book by Toni. I've seen her books all over and was super excited to read one.
My favorite part--and what drew me in--was the characters. They were so lifelike and I really felt all their fears and hopes.
Another notable thing was the families. It is not often that you find such supportive families in fiction and it was so refreshing to see a family that loves and cares for each other.
It
Abigail Harris
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: launch-teams
The very cuteness of this book was just so good!

The friends to more, the darling little girls, and just everything fell into the sweetest story that I had to start rereading my favorite parts over after I closed it.

Shiloh did a spectacular job with somewhat common tropes and turned them into a new and fresh story that I just couldn't help but love.

And, the firefighter side of the story was wonderful! There really aren't enough books out there with firefighters who you actually get to see the rea
MJSH
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
"But what I can control are my own actions. How I love every person God's placed in my life. How I share that love with the time He's allotted me."

Toni Shiloh always brings heart-warming tales full of faith to her readers and this story is no exception. I really enjoyed this contemporary marriage of convenience story between two best friends Omar and Trinity. It's a bit unique in that Omar and Trinity are best friends and grew up as next-door neighbors. So when they start their "marriage", they
Kimmie
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me say this book definitely surpassed all my expectations!!

I know we've all been there... that isle of books at the store with the Harlequin titles trying to decide if we want another feel good, know how its gonna end type of story. LET me advise you. This book IS NOT your typical Love Inspired book (of which I will admit to reading ... almost everyone published). I had to do a double check of the page count with this one honestly. Toni Shiloh managed to fit SO much depth of character, layer
Phyllis
A heartfelt, heartwarming story

"I've read a few modern marriage-of-convenience stories in the past few years and enjoy the perspectives of why a couple might marry in this day and age without love. I have also enjoyed seeing the dynamics of how a couple learns to not just honor their spouse but to love them as well. So, naturally, I was very curious to see how Toni Shiloh would handle this...

As I have come to expect from her stories, An Unlikely Proposal had a strong focus on spiritual issues Tr
Faye
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A modern-day marriage of convenience.

Childhood friends agree to a marriage of convenience after Trinity loses her job as the school librarian due to budget cuts, and the passing of Omar's mother-in-law, leaving him without someone to care for his young daughters Faith and Joy. Heartwarming, and at times humorous, this sweet romance was enjoyable from beginning to end. I loved the great character interaction, tight-knit small town community, and Omar's adorable daughters.

Well developed character
Kate Willis
I pre-ordered this book five months in advance. That’s how excited I was for new content from this author, and she did not disappoint!

Right away, I was very happy to see some Type 1 Diabetes representation since I have a younger sister with the diagnosis. I’ve only read a handful of books with this factor, so it’s always a delight to find one. One major aspect of the T1D sideplot didn’t quite seem to line up, but the rest seemed carefully researched and honest.

I absolutely love the banter betwe
Martha
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This fun modern marriage of convenience story will warm your heart, especially with the toddlers in the story. Talk of death, walking through Type 2 Diabetes and dangers of firefighting are not things this book shies away from, but in a tasteful manner, you will enjoy every page and feel like it was a much longer book than it is.
Melissa Henderson
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, heartwarming story of friendship and love. I laughed. I cried. This is another wonderful story by author Toni Shiloh. I would love to see all stories by author Toni Shiloh turned into movies. I received a complimentary copy of the book. No review was required.
Ancillar
Oh my! This was such a beautiful book that kept me up *sigh*. I love me a marriage of convenience *sigh*
maiaisreading
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
#BookReview: AN UNLIKELY PROPOSAL by Toni Shiloh (Love Inspired)

About the Book:
Their friendship can survive almost anything…

For two best friends,

marriage could be their greatest test yet…

Trinity Davis must not have heard firefighter Omar Young correctly. Did her handsome widowed best friend just suggest they get married? Omar needs a mom for his adorable little girls, and it’ll fix Trinity’s financial woes. But saying “I do” isn’t just business. Especially when the only vow they’re in danger of
Melissa
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars This is Toni Shiloh's first book with Love Inspired and she knocked it out of the park. This is a sweet "friends to more" marriage of convenience story with two precious little girls as side characters. I love that Shiloh is unapologetically Christian in her writings and enjoy the dialog that her characters have with the God who can help them on their lives' journeys. I look forward to reading more of Shiloh's novels in the future.
Brittany
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, wonderful story! One of the best things about this novel was that it just felt so real. The likelihood of these two best friends marrying for the reasons they did were totally plausible. The way they began feeling a bit uncomfortable around each other as husband and wife was also realistic.

The awkward moments were balanced by good conversations that focused on their friendship. We, the readers, could see how Trinity and Omar were slowly developing deeper feelings for each other, but i
Suzie Waltner
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of the friends to more romance trope, and in An Unlikely Proposal, Toni Shiloh ups the ante by combining that trope with a modern-day marriage of convenience one as well.

The reasoning and justification behind said marriage of convenience is believable and a good fit for the story. Trinity and Omar have grown up as best friends, but their dating/romance lives have taken separate paths. Now, circumstances have put them both in a place of needing assistance—Trinity for her health, and Om
Fiction Aficionado
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
An Unlikely Proposal combines two of my favourite tropes—marriage of convenience and best friends to more—and proves that marrying your best friend can become complicated when you’re not actually in love with each other! Then again, maybe it would have been less complicated if they hadn’t been so determined NOT to fall in love with each other! Because apart from being best friends, Omar and Trinity have each loved and lost in some form, so a big part of their journey was overcoming their fear of ...more
Angie Thompson
I admit, I'm kind of a sucker for marriage of convenience stories, so when a friend mentioned this one, I had to give it a shot. Other plusses--firefighters, chronic illness, two cute (but realistic) little girls, best-friends-to-lovers--yeah, it had a lot going for it. :D

Sadly, I didn't feel like I ever connected with the characters the way I wanted to. Yes, I liked them, and I wanted to love them, but I just didn't ever feel like I got past the surface of who they were. I can't put my finger o
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
5 stars. This was a powerful story of love. I’m not crazy about the best friends to lovers trope but this is probably the best that I’ve read. I loved it that much.

Omar is a widow and the father of two toddlers. Trinity just recently lost her job and in turn, her health insurance. She’s a Type-1 Diabetic. Omar needs someone to help care for his girls, Trinity needs health insurance so he proposes marriage. Yep, we have a marriage of convenience here and I was all on board for it because that is
Marylin
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
What do you do when your best friend comes up with a solution to all your problems, but it’s really NOT what you were thinking? After all, who would have ever thought a marriage proposal would come out of Omar’s mouth!
If you want to read a delightful story of two friends who have been friends for years and supported each other through many of life’s joys, and struggles, then this is the book for you.
This is a beautifully touching story with rich word pictures.
There were many times, I felt deep
Challice
Oct 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I have been looking for some Christian fiction written by black authors that aren't drenched in billionaire romance or scandalous story lines, I think I have found that author in Toni Shiloh. I will be looking forward to reading more from her and see what other character emerge from her works.

In An Unlikely Proposal, its as if you took Fireproof and Loves Comes Softly and mesh them together.

I appreciated the diabetic character and some of the hurdles Trinity, our main character, had to face. I
Holly Bleggi
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great book by Toni Shiloh! I liked how it was a marriage of convenience story between best friends and how hard it was for them to open up to loving each other in a romantic way. I loved how Toni showed their struggle and them relying on the Lord for help. I liked the characters. I thought they were very relatable and I love the sweet little girls. Wonderful christian romance.

I received a complimentary book from publishers, publicists, and or authors.  A review was not required and all opinions
Stacy
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Toni Shiloh's An Unlikely Proposal hits all the right notes with a clean-reading romance. I loved the faith elements, swoon-worthy fireman hero Omar, and strong, smart heroine Trinity, who doesn't let anything stop her in life.

As I finished, I wanted there to be a sequel, I absolutely adored this novel. Another, Toni Shiloh must-read for fans of romance!
Andrea Boyd
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You had me at "modern-day marriage of convenience!" I love this story! It's one of me favorites by Toni Shiloh. ...more
Leah
Sep 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Texas - Spring/Summer

This is a friends to lovers and marriage of convenience romance. There is some drama, but it isn't over the top. I imagine it would be realistic. There is a happy ending. I expected there would be, but I didn't think it would be that.
Cathy
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Crying happy tears! I don’t think a little Love Inspired book has ever brought me to tears, multiple times!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Depending on You (Frontier Vows, #3)
  • Bookshop by the Sea
  • Trailing a Killer (K-9 Search and Rescue #2)
  • Tidewater Bride
  • To Catch a Raven (Women Who Dare, #3)
  • His Holiday Prayer (Hearts of Oklahoma, #3)
  • Waking Up Married (The Bourbon Brothers, #5)
  • The Adoption Surprise
  • The Vanishing at Loxby Manor
  • The Baby Next Door (Indiana Amish Brides #7)
  • An Unexpected Arrangement
  • Covert Amish Christmas
  • An Ivy Hill Christmas (Tales from Ivy Hill)
  • A Future for His Twins (Widow's Peak Creek, #1)
  • Hours to Kill (Homeland Heroes, #3)
  • Just Like Home (Harbor Pointe, #4)
  • Dreams of Savannah
  • Once Upon a Summer: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales
Toni Shiloh is a wife, mom, and Christian fiction writer. Once she understood the powerful saving grace thanks to the love of Christ, she was moved to honor her Savior. She writes to bring Him glory and to learn more about His goodness.

News & Interviews

It’s hard to believe the year 2022 is already coming to an end. That went fast, didn’t it? Still, there’s just enough time to wedge in a...
“But what I can control are my own actions. How I love every person God's placed in my life. How I share that love with the time He's allotted me.” 1 likes