Start by marking “Sophie and The Odd Ones” as Want to Read:
Sophie and The Odd Ones

Sophie and The Odd Ones

(Sophie Feegle #1)

Sophie Feegle needs a break. Rent is due on her crappy apartment and she's halfway through her last loaf of bread.

Sophie doesn't have big ambitions. She only wants a job that will keep her landlord off her back, enough extra cash for whiskey at the neighborhood bar and a bit of free time to hang out with the naughty old lady next door.

When a chance encounter with a quiet s
Kindle Edition
Published July 17th 2020

Start your review of Sophie and The Odd Ones
Andrea
3.5

The writing was a bit difficult in the beginning, but after I got use to the flow I ended up really liking the book!

It kind of reminds me of a little bit of a 2000's TV show called Tru Calling (not with the time travel) in that the h works in a morgue and gets visions of a persons death. But in this case our h, Sophie, is telling these death visions as more of fun make believe stories until a detective, Mac, finds out that her words might have some serious truth to them.

8699bd7026f272f8855ab65b1d89ccaf

Not only that but
Katie
Dec 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, except...

Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed the story, although the language was sometimes a bit more colorful than I prefer, the story and characters were really fun. I hope there are more books coming in the series.

That said, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DO NOT WRITE AN ENTIRE BOOK IN -THIRD PERSON, PRESENT TENSE- EVER AGAIN.

It would be great in First Person, Present Tense, OR in Third Person, Past Tense, but this was so painful I almost couldn't read it.

T
P
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

I don't know where to start. I LOVED this book. It's been the best and my absolute favorite of the year. First it's so interesting and entertaining. I had to share with my partner and co workers. Our girl is very smart and witty. She's not your normal beauty queen and she definatly isn't a damsel in distress. At the beginning she is in desperate need of a job and through her kindness she is offered a job at the city morgue. This is where the story gets your attention and doesn't stop unti
Vintagebooklvr
A morgue. I love a story set in a morgue. As another reviewer said, this reminds me a bit of the tv show Tru Calling. So this is a bit like CSI but with less science, more magic and a lot more fun. The morgue is full of quirky characters, diverse creatures, and powers all hiding from humans. But they still have to get the job done of figuring out how the unusual have died and if a culprit, try to help bring them to justice.

There is a real comradery among the characters. I love Sophie's neighbor
Jessica
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new mystery series

A new paranormal crime mystery series with a sassy main character who develops new powers and gets introduced to a whole new world when she accepts a job at the local morgue in order to pay the bills. There is some tension between her and another character, but no romance yet. And there is a cliffhanger, but it's well done. Certainly makes me want to read the next book!
Rebecca Dew
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Space Oddity

The book is written in limited-omniscient third-person present/future tense. It was an unusual choice and moderately distracting, TBH. However, the characters and plot were, if not good, per se, at least they were interesting. At the end, I wanted to read more about the AU and the adventures that the characters might have. I hope the author writes additional books, either a continuation of this book as a series, or new material.
Kei
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 英語-english
It's just...the quality of the whole thing...or the lack thereof, if you may.
First, the writing. Both the badly written sentences and the edit leftovers where "she sat next to him. ... then she stood up and walked toward him". I had to stop and try to figure out what was wrong with the text I was reading numerous times. And I'm not sure if it got a bit better towards the end, or if I just got used to it enough to stop noticing most of it.
Then, the story flow that went from interesting to more a
Sara Moore
May 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book immediately after one where the author didn't want to describe what anyone or anywhere looked like, and in comparison to that, author Gwen DeMarco did a great job of this. I really appreciate descriptions of what the characters and locations in the stories I read look and/or feel like. I like my books to be an immersive experience. I also appreciated a lot of things about this book that I don't normally get.

I get upset at romance interests in books where the primary thing they
Alice
The book had an entertaining cast of characters - when was the last time you read about (view spoiler) shifters?!?!?! - and an interesting world, but I felt most of the character development was pretty superficial, and we learned about their backgrounds and their society in giant info dumps. There was a decent amount of telling rather than showing, which made the characters rather boring.

I thought the relationship between the FMC Sophie and Mac was
Spinneretta
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun with a Small cliffhanger

When Sophie gets a job as an assistant to the morgue Medical Examiner, it’s a stroke of luck that thrusts her into a world of magic and mystery.

This was such a fun book to read. The characters were unique and entertaining, the storyline particularly original.
Sophie is a human, with certain abilities she never knew about, thrown into a world of magical beings she didn’t know existed.
She is actually rather mysterious herself, having no idea about anything pop-culture r
Serenity
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun and unique twist on the paranormal genre

This book was just fun. I loved the characters of Sophie. I loved her neighbor Birdy. I love the bartender and the cops and even the grumpy landlord. This is just a fun book. Sophie is snarky and smart and the kind of person you want to hang out with. So she may have an issue keeping a job. That changes thanks to a change encounter and soon she finds out just how odd things can be working the night shift at a morgue. She also gets to discover how mor
Jessica
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The first couple of chapters were rough, but after that either the writing smoothed out or I got used to it. I'm glad I continued, because the cast of characters was a delight. Opossum shifters, yes, please.

I appreciated how not all the characters were white, and explicit discussion of racism was included but not dwelled on; urban fantasy can be like a blizzard sometimes with its whiteout conditions. Less cool was how the one character with a Chinese names had two surnames (Zhang Liu). He was a
Karyn M
Mar 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie is a twenty-something broad, barely subsisting in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco. She manages to finagle a gig as a coroner's assistant at the city morgue, and from there the shenanigans begin. She's a human in a non-human workplace, but she can hold her own. A little bit reactive and potty-mouthed, this is a gal used to the world pooping on her parade. During the course of her employment, it's discovered that she isn't just spinning wild tales of the dead brought in for autopsy ...more
JC
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved this! It's a great first book.

Sophie is a realistic but awesome heroine who takes no shit and isn't the kind who feels the need to put on a hard front, like a lot of heroines in similar books. Mac started off as grumpy and aggro, but that definitely was him just covering his interest in our Soph. I love their back and forth throughout the whole book, I hope they never stop messing with eachother like that. 🤪

Great supporting characters. Burg and Reggie are so sweet and great friends. And Bi
Anita
This is a new first-in-series contemporary paranormal mystery (with romance) set in San Francisco. The heroine Sophie is down on her luck and desperately needs a job before she becomes homeless. She's got no verbal filter and looks a bit goth. She can't seem to hold down a job for long because she mouths off when she's annoyed. There's a neighborhood bar she hangs out in, and on one depressing night, she is offered a job by a stranger there and becomes a autopsy assistant on the night shift. She ...more
Kristen
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, but it's not for the squeamish or those offended by crude language.

Loved it, but it's not for the squeamish or those offended by crude language. This was a fantastically fun and snarky read. I adored the characters and their interactions. I loved the world building and realism in the interactions and dialog. I really enjoyed reading about characters that aren't usually glorified or even noticed in other fantasy stories and world. I liked the modern take on everything. The only thing I
Stefanie L. Sikes
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Good first attempt

I enjoyed the characters and the story was pretty good, if not a bit simplistic. The conflicts were resolved a bit too quickly, but it could be the author trying to fit too much into one book. I would read another book in the series when it comes out but I would hope for a change. It is written in present tense instead of past. After decades of reading past tense, I found the use of present tense very distracting, and I was surprised an editor would allow it.
Kathy Wortham
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of paranormal and a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series you will LOVE this book! The characters are unusual, quirky, and just make you smirk at their interactions. Sophie has a lot behind her but the book starts at present. No weeping pushovers here. Fond nicknames in the book are Hellraiser, Douche, Dickhead...totally irreverent. No excessive language and no sex. This could be a teen and up book. I was hoping the second volume would be popping up soon. SIGH! So, sinc ...more
Sam
Mar 02, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the characters, story line, uncommon shifters. The dialogue, character interactions and build up of relationships are all really well done. I would have liked a bit more background on our h, why and how she came to be in her circumstances at the start of the story.
Not keen on the use of present tense with third person, it is an awkward format when following the narrative. I think this would have been better limited to the dream sequences.
Nice set up for the next book. Hope we get to lear
Kristen
Fun, shallow, and easy read

Cute storyline, has tons of potential, but so far the characters are super shallow and the dialogue flat. These are shifters - does the opposum shifter hiss just a little when he gets frustrated and talks? Can you all but hear a purr in the cat's voice when she is keeping a secret? Does the physician use a higher brow vocabulary? Everyone sounds the same, with the same words and sentence structure, with no personality to distinguish them from one another.
Will I read th
Melissa Horn
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book.

I knew that I would like Sophie from the first scene where she chased off the dog who was menacing the possum. She rolls with the punches and gives as good as she gets. I'm interested to find out if she is a human with talents, or if she has a Mythical in her family tree. I like her quirky coworkers. And I love eccentric old ladies! The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the tense, but the author was consistent, and after a while I didn't notice. I'm looking forward to
Michelle A.
Uneven writing

The story was intriguing, dialogue was good. The issue was in the action/scene setting. I’ve never been good with all of the different verb tense names but there were multiple occasions where the wrong one was used, pulling me out of the story. Also sometimes, the author took the easy way out...instead of describing the character using imagery it was more like “she was sad” which isn’t as interesting to read.
Tyrannosaurus regina
I was actually really delighted by this. There was some really solid worldbuilding without resorting to infodump, and the characters were all engaging and distinct. And honestly, I kind of love stuff set in a morgue, so that didn't hurt. I really bought into the relationships that were formed and didn't feel like anything was being forced (with maybe one exception, but it was minor). Hoping there will be more soon! ...more
Debi
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read.

I read a lot of contempfantasy fiction and this is right up there with Ilona Andrew's in the wonderful and strange people I got to meet. Sophie is a kick I ass and the world she inhabit is weird and fun to visit. I like urban fiction set in cities I have visited. I give this book 5 stars and will read the next in series and soon as it comes out. Please dont leave me hanging too long.
Helen
Jun 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, ebook, fantasy, urban
KU read

I read it in an afternoon and it was a fun romp where our FL find out vampires and shifters are real when she gets a job in the city morgue.

The snark is first rate and I loved the colourful characters. The world building was good and there were some nice touches, but unfortunately the mystery crime element did fail for me - but as I was reading for the characters it didn't matter too much
Traumrealistin
Jun 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a nice story - it was a lot of fun to read. You don't get much background on the characters, but they are sympathetically written and you get a good first impression of them.

It is a well written first novel of the author, with - for me - only one hick-up. The development of the love story was a bit abrupt, but that it would happen was predictable. An interesting series can be developed from the story and I look forward to the next installment.
Suzanne Burns
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected charm

I wasn't expecting a treasure when I picked this up. Unknown author and a blurb about a woman enjoying her new job at the morgue with a group of misfits. It was excellent! I enjoyed Sophie's exposure to the supernatural world and the twists and turns. I look forward to the next book.
Mari Funai
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!!!

I got the book on a whim and not an i glad. The book, start to finish is amazing. You like the people.
There is a new twist on shifters and our human is a bit quirky.
Ok, Gwen DeMarco you really have to write faster,
I NEED more!!!
This was fantastic! You rock (ok, I'm showing my age.)
Mari
Timmy L Wuensche
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic fun read!

I can't wait for more great reads from Gwen Demarco. Sophie and the Odd Ones has a great cast of quirky characters in a unique world. They are full of humor and snark. Honestly, I'd love to hang out with them if they were real. The story was intriguing and kept my interest the whole way through. I really hope Gwen writes fast.
Robin Siota Breeding
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
He odd ones

This was an interesting story that had a new and different storyline. The author gave minimal background on several characters which is better than many first books. The grammar and 3rd person narration need work! Even though poor grammar turns me off, I became connected to the characters and want to find out what happens next.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Educated Luck (Twisted Luck, #3)
  • My Luck (Twisted Luck, #1)
  • Hired Luck (Twisted Luck, #2)
  • Dragons Don't Eat Meat (Valkyrie Bestiary #1)
  • Dervishes Don't Dance (Valkyrie Bestiary #2)
  • Hell Hounds Don't Heel (Valkyrie Bestiary, #3)
  • Dead to Me (Grave Talker, #1)
  • Inherited Luck (Twisted Luck Book 4)
  • Grave Cargo (Arcane Transporter #1)
  • Night Watch (Soul Reader, #1)
  • Three Half Goats Gruff (Valkyrie Bestiary #0.5)
  • War Song (The Rift Chronicles, #2)
  • Dead and Gone (Grave Talker #2)
  • Risky Goods (Arcane Transporter, #2)
  • A Gilded Cage (Chronicles of an Urban Druid, #1)
  • The Slaughtered Lamb Bookstore and Bar (Sam Quinn #1)
  • Grave New World (Down & Dirty Supernatural Cleaning Services #1)
  • A Sacred Grove (Chronicles of an Urban Druid, #2)
Gwen DeMarco is an avid reader, wine & coffee drinker, gardener and a lover of all things nerdy. Gwen loves to write paranormal romance novels with a focus on the weird and wonderful. She loves to write a good snarky heroine and a grumpy male lead. Sophie and the Odd Ones is her first foray into the world of shifters, fae, ogres and vampires. Gwen publishes scifi romance under a different pen name ...more

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...