Start by marking “Church Dogmatics: A Selection with Introduction by Helmut Gollwitzer” as Want to Read:
Church Dogmatics: A Selection with Introduction by Helmut Gollwitzer

Church Dogmatics: A Selection with Introduction by Helmut Gollwitzer

Karl Barth's monumental work, "Church Dogmatics," is recognized as a landmark in Protestant theology--perhaps the most important work of this century. However, the size range of its fourteen volumes has meant that its content and significance may not be so widely known or appreciated as it deserves. In this concise introduction, Helmut Gollwitzer provides a selection of so ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Church Dogmatics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church Dogmatics

Adam Bradley
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This book reflects Barth at his best. At every turn the text is utterly captivated by Jesus Christ, and will countenance no rivals. Whether ascending the heights of the universal metanarrative or descending to the depths of seeming philosophical minutiae, everything is always grounded in, referenced to, issuing from, and pointing toward the particular man Jesus Christ and our particular humanity in relation to Him and to God through Him. At every turn our pretense to comprehend God and subject J ...more
David
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Karl Barth is the most influential theologian of the 20th century. To me, anyone who makes both those on one side (fundamentalists, conservatives) and those on the other side (liberals) uncomfortable is probably on to something.

This book is portions from the 13 volume Church Dogmatics. After reading it, I wanted to order the complete, unabridged set and dive in.

Then I realized how expensive it is. And how I have a baby and a wife who I should probably spend time with. Oh, and my job. Plus I nee
Walter
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
It could change your life. I expect this to come as a first breath of air for those of who belong to the Great American Evangelical Machine and haven't yet read Barth. He offers real freedom, real conundrums, real difficulties, and if you believe in a living God and not just your professed doctrine (note my hint of cynicism), Barth offers both fear and awe.
My middle and late teenage years were spent devouring Lewis. I wish I'd been given Barth instead.
Jonathan Hatt
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
From what I’ve read of Barth so far, I do have more respect for him and definitely agree that Cornelius Van Til did not represent him accurately. With that said, most of what I liked in Barth I could just have found in Herman Bavinck, and what I didn’t agree with I didn’t walk away changed really. But selections cannot give the complete flow of Barth, so I’ll have to see from his Dogmatics.
Bob Price
There can be little doubt that Karl Barth remains one of the most, if not the most influential theologian of the 20th century. But to read his massive work Church Dogmatics is daunting at best.

Helmut Gollwitzer does the church a great service by providing this selection of writings from the Dogmatics.

Reading Barth is like running a marathon, you may hate it while you are doing it, but the effort pays off in the end. Barth's approach was unique when he began writing, since he was in between Ort
Michael Laminack
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a good introduction to Barth's Dogmatics through a presentation of selected readings categorized by theme. It's a great stepping stone to something like the study editions, as it provides an overview of Barth's theology while omitting Barth's extensive footnotes and references in the primary text. I recommend it to anyone who wants to dip their toes in Barth's theology before they jump in the deep end.
Albert
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Do you know who the great Yes is? God is Yes. This is such a happy and lovely book.
Shawn Williams
Sep 07, 2012
Christopher
Dec 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karl Barth (pronounced "bart") was a Swiss Reformed theologian whom critics hold to be among the most important Christian thinkers of the 20th century; Pope Pius XII described him as the most important theologian since Thomas Aquinas. Beginning with his experience as a pastor, he rejected his training in the predominant liberal theology typical of 19th-century Protestantism, especially German.

Inst
“No one, however, can be content at this point to be a mere " layman," to be indolent, to be no more than a passive spectator or reader. No one is excused the task of asking questions or the more difficult task of providing and assessing answers. Preaching in the congregation, and the theology which serves its preparation, can be faithful to its theme and therefore relevant and adapted to the circumstances and edifying to the community, only if it is surrounded, sustained and constantly stimulated and fructified by the questions and answers of the community. With his own questions and answers in matters of right understanding
and doctrine, each individual Christian thus participates in what the community is commanded to do. If he holds aloof, or slackens, or allows himself to sleep, or wanders into speculation and error, he must not be surprised if sooner or later the same will have to be said about the community as such and particularly about its more responsible members. How many complaints about the "Church" would never be made if only those who make them were to realise that we ourselves are the Church, so that what it has or has not to say stands or falls with us. There can be no doubt that all the great errors which have overtaken the preaching and theology of the community in the course of its history have had their true origin, not so much in the studies of the well-known errorists and heretics who have merely blabbed them out, but rather in the secret inattention and neglect, the private drowsing and wandering and erring, of innumerable nameless Christians who were not prepared to regard the listening of the community to the Word as their own concern, who wanted privacy in their thinking, and who thus created the atmosphere in which heresy and error became possible and even inevitable in the community.”
0 likes