Start by marking “Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation” as Want to Read:
Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation

Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - In the first and only inside account of the Mueller investigation, one of the special counsel's most trusted prosecutors breaks his silence on the team's history-making search for the truth, their painstaking deliberations and costly mistakes, and Trump's unprecedented efforts to stifle their report.

"Weissmann delivers the kind of forceful, rin
Published September 29th 2020 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Where Law Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Law Ends

Start your review of Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation
Bettie
Sep 22, 2020 marked it as wish-list

This is what happened when Mueller’s team subpoenaed Deutsche Bank in 2017. Angry White House reaction led prosecutors to back off. https://nytimes.com/2020/09/21/us/
Natali
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are many ways to assess this book and I have concluded that they are all valid.

My initial take was that Weissmann was writing for posterity. He says so in the opening chapters, hoping that his memoir serves the same function as historical texts from the Nuremberg trials. He makes a strong argument for that after documenting how vehemently he disagreed with William Barr’s politicizing of the Special Counsel’s report. I think this purpose was well served.

He goes on to describe inner office
Matt
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have decided to embark on a mission to read a number of books on subjects that will be of great importance to the upcoming 2020 US Presidential Election. Many of these will focus on actors intricately involved in the process, in hopes that I can understand them better and, perhaps, educate others with the power to cast a ballot. I am, as always, open to serious recommendations from anyone who has a book I might like to include in the process.

This is Book #20 in my 2020 US Election Preparation
Betsy
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just a must, must, must read to understand the truth behind the Mueller Report. I wonder how history will judge the last 4+ years. Well, honestly, I don't wonder. I know history will judge us harshly. It helped me muddle through the Mueller Report and to understand how we were deceived. Read it.
Lynn
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book by one of the top investigators involved in the Muellar investigation. I found it riveting when the details and startling findings were uncovered. I was in those small windowless offices alongside them. The author was in charge of the Manaford case and I found this information the most compelling. The book also did a good job of highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the investigation. However, the last quarter of the book was a bit preachy, long-winded, and minutia prone. ...more
James Mc Donald
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Orwellian title of book is doublethink to justify crime against potus & rest of us
Reviewed in the United States on October 10, 2020
Verified Purchase
The second star for customer rating is because honestly, for me, this was a really satisfying read because I had already thought Mr. Andrew Weissmann played a critical part of this tragic event but it was important to get his view as this is an important document because the book is indeed a firsthand, direct eyewitness account proving the law did i
Gloria Piper
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You've got to read this book. The writing is impressively clear, and the story is interesting. Weissmann introduces us to Mueller and to himself, bringing in a background that eminently qualifies him to help lead in the investigation. As the counsel organizes into teams, top experts are recruited. And then they get to work, initially relying on the press for leads and then taking off on their own.

Weissmann puts a human face on the research, their reactions to uncovering facts, their stress as t
Lisa
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author is biased, with 20/20 hindsight, but that hindsight is based on facts and I believe him when he says that the people on the Mueller investigation into the Trump campaign were not biased when they did the investigation. But then the horrible facts about the Trump campaign's correlation with Russian activities, the criminal doings of Paul Manafort and others, and the obstructions of justice that Trump committed came to light--and it was all twisted by Attorney General William Barr to su ...more
Christopher Mitchell
This is an important book, in part because it covers a shocking period of recent American events, but also because it reveals far more about the Department of Justice than Weissmann may have intended. It is clear he loves that institution and is horrified at how Trump and Barr have twisted it. But his writing also shows how deeply flawed it was long before Trump took office.

Investigations run by apparently incompetent people. The few investigations of important, well connected people and compani
Sandra Armor
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
The best parts of this audiobook book were the introduction and epilogue, read by the author and written with conviction. In the middle, he does little to clarify exactly what went wrong because he won’t blame Mueller for not taking stronger action. At one point, he raises the issue of public comment on Mueller’s testimony on the report in front of Congress, the suppositions that he had lost a step at a minimum or was cognitively impaired at worst. He raises the issue but never answers it. I was ...more
Sam
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm surprised this book hasn't gotten very much attention. The depth to which Weissmann goes in exploring the Mueller Special Counsel investigation and the amount of explanation, legally, around how and why the team did what they did was very interesting. It also is clear that the team could have done more - yes they might have been fired or hit a wall, but there was more they could have done. It is as much a story about how the law works and its important limits as how the respect for norms has ...more
DK Simoneau
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audiobook review: If you read nothing else in this book read the epilogue. I think the conclusion I have come to over and over in the last 4 years it is that much of our government and system has been an exercise in norms. It is sad that over and over decisions have been made assuming that this is some kind of normal. I was deeply saddened to hear the regret expressed in this book. The Mueller investigation joins a long list of capitulations to this bizarre administration —in the name of trustin ...more
April Taylor
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I’ve read several of the books written about Trump, ranging from Bob Woodward’s to Mary Trump’s. All of them added something new to the story. However, this book about the Mueller Report was the most boring of the bunch. Yes, it had a few interesting sections, but for the most part, it was a struggle to get through. None of the other Trump books have been a struggle. In fact, I read most of the other books in one day.
Lani
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An inside story on another travesty. While skilled, committed women and men set out to do their duty as part of the special counsel's investigation, Weissmann explains how they were overwhelmed and, in the end, played, by Trump and his enablers. This book does an excellent job of laying out the limited parameters of the Mueller investigation and all the questions that remain to be answered.
Kerry Sullivan
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anthony Lawson
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Andrew Weissman, who was an essential part of the Mueller investigation, draws back the curtain to allow us to see what happened during the investigation. What we find here is disturbing especially how Trump is exposed by the investigation, his conduct during the investigation, and as well as how AG William Barr distorted the report for political purposes.
Steve Flanery
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Donald Trump did, in fact, obstruct justice and committed crimes against our Republic. The fact that Mueller chose not to bring charges against Trump doesn’t let Trump off the hook. Weissmann does an excellent job of laying out the facts of the Mueller investigation while sorting through the nuances of the political landscape we find ourselves under Trump.
Elizabeth
Oct 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
Fernando
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Weissmann is torn between his respect for Muller and ambivalence towards Zebley. After reading this book and the Muller report, it's clear that this investigation failed the American public and the rule of law.
Tony Zinno
Oct 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
A crooked lawyer who was part of a crooked team.
Michael Shaffer
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This memoir reads like excellent fiction—a real page turner. Guaranteed to disgust you...
Art
I learned a great deal about the Mueller Report and the whole investigation. Some things I didn't understand were explained.
Oct 13, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF. This ended up being a bit too dry and detailed for me. I think listening to what the author has had to say about this in podcasts and TV appearances will have to suffice for me.
Janis Jackson
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-challenge
Wow! Just wow!

This is a very readable account of the investigations done for the Mueller report. Every citizen should read it and start praying that truth would be made known.
Beth
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated his recommendations at the end to improve Presidential investigations in the future.
BC
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stephen Hoag
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazingly good book. Andrew Weismann tells us how the Special Council's office evolved and what it accomplished.
Budd Margolis
Some few gems but this book should have been edited down by at least 50% of the end product.
Deirdre
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frustrating and enlightening
Hannah Gray
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I wish Weissman focused his expertise more on recommendations for future Special Counsel investigations.

• Rage
  • Compromised: Counterintelligence and the Threat of Donald J. Trump
  • Donald Trump v. The United States: Inside the Struggle to Stop a President
  • True Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Investigation of Donald Trump
  • Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump
  • Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth
  • Separated: Inside An American Tragedy
  • Melania and Me: The Rise and Fall of My Friendship with the First Lady
  • Apropos of Nothing
  • It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • The Last Policeman (The Last Policeman, #1)
  • Shuggie Bain
  • Killing the SS: The Hunt for the Worst War Criminals in History
  • Golden State
  • Amsterdam
  • Twilight of Democracy: The Seductive Lure of Authoritarianism
  • Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man