Start by marking “Pawn's Gambit (A Mortal Techniques novel)” as Want to Read:
Pawn's Gambit (A Mortal Techniques novel)

Pawn's Gambit

(Mortal Techniques)

The Mortal Techniques novels are a series of stand-alone stories that can be read entirely independently, set in the award-winning Mortal Techniques universe.

Even Pawns can checkmate Kings.

Once a century, the gods hold a contest to determine who will rule from the Jade Throne. Each god chooses a mortal champion, and the fate of heaven and earth depends on the winner.

Once a
Expected publication: January 26th 2021 by Rob J. Hayes

To ask other readers questions about Pawn's Gambit, please sign up.
Rob Hayes Yes! The 3rd standalone Mortal Techniques novel is called Spirits of Vengeance, and has a provisional release date of 28th September 2021.
Rob Hayes Hi!

Hi!

It will certainly be getting a paperback release. I hope to have it up for purchase on the day of release (26th January 2021).(less)

Start your review of Pawn's Gambit (A Mortal Techniques novel)
Petrik
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

A great Wuxia adventure with an empathizing redemption arc.

I’ll start this review by giving a shout out to Felix Ortiz and Shawn T. King for doing such another terrific job with the cover art and typography. Now, I’ll say it upfront that I’m a huge fan of Never Die by Rob J. Hayes; it’s one of my favorite books. When I heard that there would be a standalone
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷 Support me

“Weapons are not dangerous,” said the goddess as she slid her Monk into place. “Nor is a man with a weapon. A person’s skill and intent are the real danger.”

Hayes is one of my most trusted self-published authors ever. Never Die is one of my favorite books and I recommended it to many of my friends who also loved it. The War Eternal Trilogy is one of my favorite trilogies ever and the first trilogy that I read as ARCs. You can te
Nick Borrelli
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who is a frequent visitor to my blog knows that I am a huge fan of Rob J. Hayes. I've reviewed a number of his books and the common theme that always prevails is that I am going to enjoy anything he writes. Rob has the flexibility to write stories that are completely different from the ones before and yet the high quality is always there in my opinion. I'm happy to say that PAWN'S GAMBIT continues that trend and quite honestly, I wasn't really surprised.

The book takes place quite a few ye
Rob Hayes
Jul 15, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The cover is revealed! The release date is set (January 26th 2021). Pawn's Gambit is coming. ...more
Mihir
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I know this book isn't released yet, but I've read a couple of drafts of it so far and I believe there won't be any major changes from them to the final version. Firstly this book is the second book in the Mortal Techniques series (this is a new term for all the standalone books that will be released focusing on the world of Never Die).

Pawn's Gambit is set a bit over five years later than the events of Never Die. It focuses on a minor character from Never Die. This book is vastly different fr
Blaise
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More reviews at undertheradarsffbooks.com

I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. I have said it before in my review of Never Die and I will say it again if you didn’t hear me the first time, Rob Hayes is the pinnacle of how a self-published author can achieve great success and notoriety. He keeps putting out novel after novel with each one being better than the last as he gains more experience to go along with the great talent he already possesses. Pawn’s Gambit is th
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I thoroughly enjoyed Rob J. Hayes’ first installment of Mortal Techniques, Never Die. It was a fun and entertaining wild romp through the world he’s created. You can read my review here. After his dark hair-raising adventure of The War Eternal, (review here), Hayes has returned to the universe of Mortal Techniques and has surpassed himself. The story is deeper and more complex. The characterizations are done with more depth and it features a protagonist that is relatable and memorable.

Gambit- de
sol
Jan 14, 2021 marked it as to-read
its wuxia
...
that's literally all i needed to hear
Maxine Robinson
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, arc, fantasy
It exceeded my expectations.
Full review to come closer to release.
Dustin
Jan 06, 2021 marked it as to-read

Never Die, (book I in the Mortal Techniques series,) was easily one of my favorite books of 2019. My review, if you're interested:

Needless to say, I am PSYCHED for Pawn's Gambit, which is a standalone novel set in the same world.
Adam
Jan 09, 2021 added it
Very cool expansion of this universe! Review to come a bit closer to launch date.
S. D. Howarth
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A slightly more cerebral take on the use of characters, and I thought with the not earlier book I would miss it. I didn’t, the characters - and their strengths are there to open certain opportunities, then held to strike decisively.
The Art of War is a neat character, in a tight tale of her unravelling and gradual rebuilding that works very, very well, yet remains human, and no mere pawn pusher, while broken and up there with Tanaka Khan.

Depending what else comes out, it could be a book of the y
Miriam Michalak
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Set in the same world as Never Die around 5 years after events in that book took place, Pawn's Gambit tells the story of Yuu when she is chosen to be a champion of the Gods.

We learn that Yuu, a wanderer making a living by playing and winning at chess, was previously known as The Art of War - a famous war strategist. When her strategy fails and leads to the death of the Steel Prince, she leaves behind the persona of the The Art of War and goes on the run.

Now the Gods are holding contest for the
Iraya
Dec 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
Looking forward to this one.
Caitlin G
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-2021-tbr
Final Rating: 3.5/5 Stars - Full review to come!

Review based on a free ARC provided by the author in exchange for my fair and honest review.
Bonnie Parker
Dec 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
YAAAAAAAAS! Finally some good news! Can't wait!! The title, the cover... everything is just perfect! I want it now T.T ...more
Patrick Samphire
Dec 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
Really looking forward to this one. The first book in this loose series was how I came across Rob Hayes. It was fantastic and made me a fan.
Olof
rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2021
Jon Adams
Sep 28, 2020
Chris Bentley
Sep 28, 2020

• The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
  • City of Lies (Poison Wars, #1)
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Lightning Knight (The Knights of Nine Book 1)
  • Around the Dark Dial
  • Hollow Empire (Poison Wars, #2)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • Seasons of Albadone
  • The Legacy (The Darkness Within Saga, #1)
  • Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
  • Twilight Seeker (Daybreaker, #1)
  • Arabella of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #1)
  • Fae Child (The Fae Child Trilogy, #1)
  • Iliad: The Reboot
  • Nophek Gloss (The Graven #1)
  • The Brass Queen
Winner of Mark Lawrence's 3rd Self Published Fantasy Blog Off (SPFBO) with Where Loyalties Lie

Rob J. Hayes was born somewhere south of the cockney wastelands in a small town called Basingstoke. He grew up with all the usual boy toys including Lego, Star Wars figures (complete with working lightsaber action) and plenty of Transformers. Playing with these toys inspired his imagination and as soon as

Mortal Techniques (3 books)
  • Never Die
  • Spirits of Vengeance (A Mortal Techniques novel)