Start by marking “The Griffin Gate” as Want to Read:
The Griffin Gate

The Griffin Gate

For years Grace's family have been wardens of the Griffin map, using its teleport technology to help people and fight crime across the land of Moreland. At thirteen, Grace is too young become a warden, but she longs to go on missions herself. After all, if her brother Bren can do it, why can't she?

So when Grace finds herself alone with the map when a distress call comes in
Published September 1st 2020 by Barrington Stoke

To ask other readers questions about The Griffin Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Griffin Gate

Start your review of The Griffin Gate
Sandra
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is Vashti's first Barrington Stoke title and the good news is its part of a series with The Puffin Portal coming soon.

In The Griffin Gate, Grace Griffin and her family who are wardens who use a Teleportation map to get to the scene of a crime in an instant. The Griffin's have been wardens for generations, but it's Grace who feels invisible as she can't go on missions yet, even though her brother can, and she thinks she is a better fighter than him during their training sessions.

Grace is dy
Sophie Snowden
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling adventure book with mystery and action. This is a wonderful book with great vocabulary and illustrations.
Grace Steed
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another book from Barrington Stoke. The Griffin Gate is aimed at children aged between 8 and 12 (I would probably say a bit younger than 12). The Griffin family are the wardens of Moreland and 'the map', dedicating their time to keeping the residents of Moreland safe. All Grace Griffin wants is to be allowed to join on the missions with her Mum and brother but she isn't old enough. One day Grace notices that an area of the map is calling for help and there is no one else around to respond. She d ...more
Mindy
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun story! I finished this in 1 sitting. I was intrigued right from the beginning and had to know what happened next! This is my first Vashti Hardy book and it did not disappoint!
Steph
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was brilliant. Smart, clever and wonderfully done. I loved that Grace was curious and asked lots of questions! You can’t beat a good bit of story about great young minds! Really enjoyed this and it was great fun. I can’t wait for more from Grace and this world. I’d love a magical map that I could transport into!
Vicky
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely quick and easy read! I really enjoyed the quick world building and I was fascinated by the map (I love a good map!). The mechanical raven was a fantastic edition. All in all a great story.
Peter
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was another fun Barrington Stoke book - short children's read for dyslexic/ reluctant readers. Featuring steampunkery, magic and a dastardly plot. Grace Griffin was a good stem heroine with lots of smarts. ...more
Lin
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Awww was this book cute and heartwarming. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. It was fast paced and straight to the point. Highly recommended! Cannot wait for the next book to come out of the series :)
Caitlyn
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great sci-fi, mystery read (I've tagged it as sci-fi because it's set in the future and has lots of mechanical devices which have been invented rather than the characters using magic to aid them but it could also fall into the category of fantasy).

The story is set in a world where a special invention called the Griffin Map allows wardens to teleport around the country and fight crime. 13-year-old Grace is the youngest member of the Griffin family, a family who have the responsibi
WhatBookNext .com
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Grace’s family have an important job. Grace, her mum and big brother Bren are Wardens of the GriffinThe Griffin Gate Book Review Cover Map. Grace’s grandmother invented the map which lies on a huge table showing all the towns and villages of Moreland.

If any town is in trouble and needing assistance, they can call for help and a gate symbol will glow on the map. Each gate is a portal and the Griffin family leaps into action and travels through the map to help.

There is serious training involved in
Jo Clarke
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Blue Peter Book Award winner Vashti Hardy is renowned for creating the most fantastically imagined worlds full of the unexpected, so I was intrigued to see how she would bring the world of Moreland to life in just over a hundred pages. Yet somehow she still manages to conjure up a vivid world – where the wardens of Moreland protect their people wit the use of teleport technology and the Griffin map – in this thrilling and fast-paced story. Grace is desperate to be a warden like the rest of her f ...more
Mathew
Set on the fringe of a dystopian future, this short gem of a book by Hardy and delectably illustrated by Smillie, tells the story of the Griffin family (Mum, Bren and our protagonist, Grace) whose job it is to maintain law and order in Moreland. Through some impressive portal technology and the help of their robotic raven, Watson, the three can travel throughout the land instantaneously in order to jump in and solve crimes.

Although Grace has yet to complete her warden training there comes a mome
Anthony Burt
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic little adventure of a book the Griffin Gate is! Filled with an imaginative world of inventions and villains, Vashti gives us a brilliant story about how young Grace wants to join her family in becoming a Griffin warden.

Grace is not old enough to be a warden yet, but she is dragged into a weird conspiracy when she is sucked through the magical map the wardens use to travel across their world. This adventure - where she tries to help people but is held hostage instead by some nast
Lazyeyereader
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun quick adventure... I love a good portal story hehe... in many ways it's classic and seen before... but there are elements that lifts it above that... I am taking a star because I was missing some atmosphere and character work... no one really has a personality... what I'm really saying is that this is REALLY written for children it is big texts on thick paper and you get straight to the point, no roundabout or scenery explaining... ...more
Bekka
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is quite a basic story in my opinion I feel it needed fleshing out in all areas really. I know it's going to be a series but it still seemed pretty plain considering what it could have been. The characters weren't developed really. It's a shame I think as this seemed like a cool idea for a story with the map and teleporting to fight crime etc. Hopefully in future books they'll be more detailed even just a little. ...more
Kirsten Barrett
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every book that Vashti has written I just love. This book is perfect for older pupils who are put off by the length of other novels. It uses language perfectly and still challenges the reader.
I love Barrington Stoke - I wish more publishers considered making the changes they have.
The story is an exciting adventure about Grace who wants to be seen as more than just a child who fidgets too much... Will her family trust her to take on more responsibility?
Dreximgirl
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute middle grade, it was shorter than I was expecting and left me wanting more but the world set up was really well executed. I loved the idea of the gates on a map and liked that our main character was quite resourceful but by no means perfect. It was a fun adventure which wrapped up nicely, if a tad too quickly for me, and I want to read more by this author. She had an easy style of writing which I found enjoyable.
Laney
Jan 26, 2021 added it
I absolutely loved this story! A magical map, a surprise villain, as well as a kind and strong willed young woman; what more could you want?

The Griffin Gate is written for young readers, but even as an adult I found myself enjoying this quick read. I found it a tad predictable, but I think that the targeted age range would be surprised and delighted by the twists in this book.

Thank you Allen&Unwin for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Sabrina
While the story is quite fun it was way too short. I hadn't checked the page count when I bought the book and was quite surprised to see it being so short.

There was just not enough time to properly establish the characters, the plot felt rushed and the conclusion was anticlimactic.

I do, however, understand I'm not the target audience for this. Kids aged up to 10 will surely have a great time reading this book!
Emma
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realise this was a shorter one when I picked it up, but it was a great story all the same. Grace's adventure turns into a bit of a nightmare when she can't get back home through the Griffin Gate. I would have loved to see this turned into a full length book, with more characters and sub-plots, but the story was strong enough to stand on its own as well. ...more
Kirsty-Louise
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I utterly adored The Griffin Gate. I read it in one sitting because it was so fantastic! Although The Griffin Gate is aimed at children, I enjoyed it! I love how Vashti includes steam punk into her writing so seamlessly, and you can imagine the steam punk world the characters live in.
Abby
Oct 29, 2020 rated it liked it
A good book for individuals who are building up their confidence with reading. I struggled to get into this book. In my opinion it felt rushed and I would loved to have seen some strong character development. It was enjoyable but not my favourite.
Simon
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exciting, quirky and original adventure story. Check it out for a cool quick read and a nice introduction to Vashti Hardy, who is a wonderful author. Check out her other work if you haven't done so already. ...more
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book through the Reading Rocks teacher subscription and had absolutely no idea what it was about! This will definitely be one of those books to read with a future class, it was fast paced and exciting.
Chris Callaghan
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Vashti Hardy has created another fantastical world, this time brimming with curious maps and curious people. There are wonderful illustrations from Natalie Smillie throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed this magical mystery that will enchant even the most reluctant of readers.
Malissa Johnson
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Was a cute story about believing in yourself.
Charlotte Burns
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant adventure from Vashti. I loved Grace and how curious she was about everything. Really looking forward to more adventures with these characters
Nichole
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is great! My only complaint is that I want it to be longer. I would love a chunky book full of these characters!
Helen
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 6 and above
A really good book.
The story was excellent.
Can't wait to read it the next one.
Laura Bartrum
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cute, quick, captivating story. Looking forward to the next one. 😊

• The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Haunting of Aveline Jones
  • The Valley of Lost Secrets
  • The Night Bus Hero
  • Kidnap on the California Comet (Adventures on Trains #2)
  • The Midnight Guardians
  • Return to Roar
  • The Ghost Garden
  • The House at the Edge of Magic
  • Tinsel (The Girls Who Invented Christmas)
  • A Tangle of Spells (A Pinch of Magic, #3)
  • The Ship of Shadows (The Ship of Shadows, #1)
  • Dragon Mountain (Dragon Realm, #1)
  • The House of Clouds
  • Escape From Aurora (Frostheart #2)
  • October, October
  • Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow
  • A Kind of Spark
Vashti Hardy est une auteure jeunesse.

Elle a enseigné pendant de nombreuse années à l'école primaire. Après avoir quitté l'enseignement pour se consacrer davantage à l'écriture, elle devient conceptrice-rédactrice et cadre dans le marketing numérique.

Elle est titulaire d'un M.A. en création littéraire de l'Université de Chichester.

Elle compte également parmi les diplômés de la Golden Egg Academy,