Start by marking “Starving Men” as Want to Read:
Starving Men

Starving Men

2020 BOOKLIFE PRIZE CRITIC'S REPORT: 9.5/10.

Dublin 2019: Michael Gleeson is a well-respected psychiatrist — a quiet man, a good friend, and a useless cook. He also spends part of his professional life secretly counseling former members of the disbanded IRA. Michael always thought this would be enough to satisfy his heritage, but when the highly skilled yet deeply disturbed
Published April 16th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Starving Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starving Men

Start your review of Starving Men
Heather
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting. The historical points of The Great Hunger and the recounting of the Lord Lucan mystery were masterful. A story that will stay with you for the book's depiction of the resentment left from British colonization, the rise of the IRA, and the Troubles. Expertly written, captivating, fast-paced but thorough. A well researched account of real events making the fiction that much more viable.
Viga Boland
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing but Complex

Starving Men is intriguing. It’s also complex, both in how the story is delivered...swinging from present to past and the far past...and in the multitude of characters involved. Those interested in, but unfamiliar with the animosities and atrocities that marked the conflicts between the Protestants and Catholics in Ireland in the early 20th century, will be surprised at what they learn. And those who read this book for the psychological ramifications on the descendants of t
Jessica
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story just grabs you from the beginning and does not let go.
A great read for any fan of fast-paced action and crime fiction.
Though the book begins with graphic violence, that was not really what hooked me; it was the narrative itself and the voice of the doctor that initially kept me reading. I like the way that the rest of the action and the "meanwhiles" and backgrounds of other characters were woven in.
Corrine Cassels
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entertaining thriller. What it lacked in character development, it made up for with plot twists and insanely surprising action. If you're not into reading graphic violence, there's some scenes that may be a bit much, but it seemed to fit in well with the overall tone of the story. I also found the Irish history of the story fascinating, but since I lacked a lot of context, I did a bit of Googling here and there. Overall this was a fun read. ...more
Myra Mcculloch
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A free book from Voracious Readers thank you

A story of how one man's obsession with a twisted history can effect so many.
Based around the history of Ireland making this story believable
Kimberly
Starving Men by Siobhan E. Finkielman is a cross between historical fiction and thriller. Plenty of twists and turns throughout the book will keep you engaged. I did feel like the characters lacked development. If you enjoy books with a bit of Irish history, check this one out.

Thanks to BookSirens for the free digital ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. All opinions are my own.
Denise Whelan
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot!
Tam
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A complex, suspenseful plot with tension so thick that it felt palpable. Rich with historical details relevant to the time period. Wonderful characters with depth and substance. I was immediately drawn in and held captive from beginning to end.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.
Jeannie Bee
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a complementary copy of this book via Voracious Readers Only.

I really enjoyed reading this book, my first one by this author. The premise for the story is interesting. I learned a lot about Irish history too. I liked the main characters in the book, particularly Michael Gleeson, and loved the twist at the end. I wasn’t expecting it. In all, a good read and would recommend it to others.
Genevieve  Paquette
I received a copy from Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review.
Whew! I'm not normally an effusive reviewer, and I'm often skeptical of glowing praise, but this one actually deserves it. This was a stressful, intense read and I loved every page. The writing was better than solid, the story was clearly well researched, and boy, the twists! The turns! Sometimes twists can come off as forced, or silly, or out of nowhere, but Finkelman nailed it.
The characters were believable and wel
Christine
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent, interesting and enthralling story! The plot takes the reader to Belfast and its dark, violent history and its life-long consequences for the main character. The compelling, complex plot with psychiatric insights has hooked me from the first page till the last word.
Thank you, BookSirens and Siobhan for letting me read this book for free.
Melisende
This is an engrossing tale - and I was drawn to it due to this being a part of my own family history. It did, however, start out a little patchy in places, but I put this down to the storyline - and the characters - finding its feet, so to speak.

The story is related through various mediums - we have the first person narrative of Michael Gleeson - who is both likeable and detestable - in the present as well as taking us back to his childhood; we have the historical narrative in the form of lette
Irene Mckay
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the historical attachment of the story, but I find there's element in the story I find is not necessary in the story (characters, events). I didn't expect the ending to be like that, overall the story is good.

I received an advanced review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Mark Zvonkovic
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
A brilliant character driven story built upon historical atrocities in Northern Ireland, Starving Men combines mystery and psychology to deliver thrill and distress when revenge is delivered in the name of justice.

Who is the narrator in Starving Men? That’s an easy question if you answer it when you first start reading (ignoring the Prologue, of course). The narrator is Dr. Michael Gleeson, and he is beginning his first person account of the story. By the time you finish the novel, however, the
Rachel Kester
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Author Siobhan Finkielman tells the story of Michael Gleeson, a psychiatrist who secretly helps members of the former IRA organization. Everything seems to be going well for him, that is, until Turlough O’Sullivan stops by for a visit. Gleeson finds that there’s a unique opportunity available for him with O’Sullivan. He tries to convince O’Sullivan to help him destroy the living descendants of Ireland’s most notorious characters. Gleeson believes this is a duty for him as it will serve as proper ...more
Denice Schneider
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starving Men is a really interesting read especially if you like something different and something Irish with a lot of history thrown in as well as the IRA. I happen to like all of that and have a degree in Irish Studies plus I have lived in Dublin and Belfast and London so I can connect quite easily with the subject matter and the places. I gave this four stars and I would have given it 4.5 stars but there is no way to do this. I enjoyed the book and the writing plus the Irish settings and hist ...more
Ivana S.
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Starving Men” is a gripping and thought-provoking book written by Siobhan Finkielman. This novel has everything I love: action, revenge and psychology. A mixture like this one is exactly what gets me excited about reading. It must have been for that reason that I finished it in three nights.

This story is about an Irish psychiatrist called Michael Gleeson who apparently has a ‘normal’ life but apart from his work as a mental doctor he tries to pay tribute to his heritage by helping former membe
Sol Tyty
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Starving Men is a fresh book by Finkielman. Set in 2019 in Ireland, this enthralling tale kept me flipping pages non-stop, like an automaton. It is an intriguing narration from minute zero until the end.
Narrated in the third person and in a dialogue-based form, the story is centered around the theme of crime, which has been perfectly crafted by the author.
Fictional scenes, history and Irish culture are similarly interwoven with those crimes. The characters are portrayed in a realistic way and t
Mia C.
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Irish writer Siobhan Finkielman is the author behind this complex thriller called “Starving men: An Irish psychiatrist, a professional killer, and a twisted revenge for history”.
This is a long read that has got almost five hundred pages but as the story is so captivating I read it in only three days. The story is set in the year 2019 in Dublin; the author did a great job with magnificent descriptions that make you imagine all the scenes.
It is a truly fascinating Irish crime thriller that caught
Heather W
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starving Men: An Irish psychiatrist, a professional killer, and a twisted revenge for history.

This book is a complex and intriguing thriller with history mixed with fiction. It is obvious that the author has done a great deal of research into the history of the Irish people under British rule, the rise of the IRA, and the Troubles. How would that history affect a man who was weaned on stories, some true and some not? This story is well written, dark, violent and compelling, keeping my interest
P. J.
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. I don't know what I expected, but it surprised me with every new chapter. I knew little about Irish history but I came away with knowledge I was amazed at. Every character became alive as the story continued; the suffering, the deaths, the famine having made each one a slice of history. It's NOT a pretty story but served to educate me. I highly recommend it to those who want a taste of the horrible past of Ireland and the British rule. ...more
Floyd Dunlap
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Revenge of justice ?

This book is very intriguing, and very hard to put down . From the history to the characters involved, it will keep you guessing and reading. A story well done!
Naoise Nickolay
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot remember the last time I gave a book 5 stars. Obviously the Irish history speaks to my N Iron heart, love the setting, characters were beautifully flawed, one part of the story was somewhat predictable but more in a “Yes I knew it” than in a ‘groan ..really way’.
All in all I loved it .. more please!!!
Rick
Feb 07, 2021 rated it did not like it
Oh, well that was simple enough. Any author that would have you believe that Oliver Cromwell and Charles Edward Trevelyan are celebrated in Britain, rather than divisive and/or largely unknown, either hasn't a clue or is making it up. ...more
Martina Capps
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So good!

The intertwining of the historical and the modern Irish consciousness is unlike anything I’ve read before. There’s a real sense of Irish history as a real, living thing that continues to flow through our veins.
Claudete Takahashi
Although a work of fiction, Starving Men, enlightens those of us who know very little about Ireland´s recent past and the events surrounding the Great Famine centuries ago. It also shows how events can shape someone´s life and beliefs for the good and for the bad, bearing in mind that good and bad can also be questionable, depending on which side of the fence you are. It´s a book about shattered dreams, persistence, love to family and humanity.
I downloaded a free copy of this book through BookSi
Lisa Walker
Starving Men is both a lesson in Irish history and a clever psychological thriller. I found the story line engaging, but the characters were, by and large, not well developed and there were a lot of them. The opening scene hooks you in and the twists and turns in the plot keep you hooked. There is some fairly gruesome violence described. I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author via Voracious Readers Only.
jeff popple
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This intriguing novel by Siobhan Finkielman takes the reader on an interesting tour through Irish history. The novel starts off being narrated by Michael Gleeson, a psychiatrist who secretly helps members of the former IRA get past their problems. It is a seemingly comfortable existence for Gleeson until he decides to seek retribution for the past by using one of his patients, a former IRA enforcer Turlough O’Sullivan, as an instrument of vengeance. He sets O’Sullivan off to kill some of the mor ...more
Jess
I was excited to read this book since I find the Troubles to be an interesting time in Irish/British History. At first, I found this book to be difficult to read, because the point of view would change so frequently and the only way you knew which view your were reading was based on who the character was interacting with. I think it would have been helpful to include the name of the character next to the title of the chapter so the reader could be like, "Oh, this is Maggie's perspective or Let's ...more
Leah Kiser
*i was given a copy for voraciousreaders to review*
Overall I enjoyed the writing style of this book it had a great sense of mystery and not all was at it seemed. The characters were well written and realistic. A slight problem I had perhaps stemmed from my lack of knowledge of Irish history, at times I found myself having to google events. This was a fascinating tale of revenge for hundreds of years of bad history.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add an award 2 21 Sep 05, 2020 03:05AM
Goodreads Librari...: Won't allow me to change the description 7 26 Aug 17, 2020 12:44AM
Booklife Prize Critic's Report 1 1 Aug 01, 2020 10:45AM

• Odd Child Out (Jim Clemo #2)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Helm of Darkness (War on the Gods, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Kisses Of My Enemy (Harry Ferguson Chronicles Book 3)
  • Marika (Chronicles of Tonath, #3)
  • La Tresse
  • Oil and Water
  • Earth (The Elementals Book 4)
  • Descendants of the Curse: Jessie's Awakening (Descendants of the Curse #1)
  • Guilty Photographs
  • Lucia's War
  • The Scottish Boy
  • Murder at St. Mark's (The North End Mysteries, #1)
  • The Monastery Murders (Stanton & Barling, #2)
  • Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1)