Start by marking “Indaba My Children ” as Want to Read:
Indaba My Children

Indaba My Children

As a young man, Vusamazulu Credo Mutwa, a Zulu from the South African province of Natal, was determined to follow in the footsteps of his grandfather and become a tribal historian in order to keep the rich oral tradition of his culture alive. In this book, begun in response to the injustices against Africans and their culture, he sets these legends down in writing. He ...more
Published 1998 by Payback Press (first published 1964)

Start your review of Indaba My Children
Melanie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was awestruck by Indaba, My Children because of the eloquent story-telling and because of Mutwa’s encyclopaedic knowledge of African history and myths. It is true that he mixes the material and his styles in order to convey all that he wants to, but who cares that it is impossible to categorize it neatly?

He felt impelled to reveal to the world how rich African legends, mores and philosophy were and are, and we are indebted to him for that. However, the culturally challenged, immoral and
Andrew
For me one of the best works on African ideas and traditions ever written. This together with "My People" are must reads for anyone interested in African history and religion.
Eseohe Arhebamen
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Always improperly subtitled, this book rivals The Holy Bible. It is the history of the world according to South Africans. It is an old old history and should be taught in every World History classroom.
Phumlani
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This should be essential reading for all Africans, not because its contents should be imposed on everyone, but purely because the way the writer brings his version of our decendency across is os well constructed and flows seamlessly the same way teh bible does. I loved this boook, i dreamt parts of it at times, it shook me to the core,it took me on a journey im not sure i really wanted to go on. This is thee quintessential African book, bravo Mutwa,Bravo!!
Nicholas Woode-Smith
In rating any book, you should rate it for what it is. Too often, reviewers will rate a book based purely on their own personal feelings, resulting in hordes of readers giving bad reviews to Lord of the Rings because they wanted a romantic comedy.

Indaba, My Children is neither history or fantasy, and it is both. According to the author, it is a collection of the folklore of the Bantu people, starting with unified mythology from the more Northern Africans and then breaking off into the specific
Charlene Smith
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Essential read for those wanting to understand African mythology and essential belief systems.
Margitte
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most comprehensive introduction to African history and cultural practices
written in a easy-read style. Credo Mutwa explains just about everything anyone ever wanted to know about Africa and her people: the origin of all the languages; the different migrations beginning thousands of years before; the meaning of the symbols in African art; the symbiosis with nature; cultural practices.

Credo Mutwa managed to introduce the people of Africa holistically to the world. Excellent book!
Susanne
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was never too interested in anything Bantu (be it the people, their customs or their languages). However, this book totally got me hooked - it is a true master piece! It took me some time to finish it, 700 pages are a lot after all. Having done African studies at university I knew about some of the things discussed but others were completely new and I esp. enjoyed the stories embedded in the sections containing purely factual knowledge. A must read for everyone interested in Africa!!!
Sobukhosi
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
No superlative can truly describe what an amazing read this has been. The importance of this book rivals the bible and it is extremely sad that such an important book has not been introduced in our curriculum. This masterpiece deserves a greater audience. Thank you Vusamazulu Mutwa.
Amy Nicolai
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-congo
Indispensable to the understanding of the Zulu culture. Well written and fascinating. I've read it several times and have a first edition copy in a place of honor on my bookshelves.
Karen
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite books of all time. I loved the storytelling and couldn't put it down. It was written in such a lovely style.
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
Gugu Ntsobe
WOW!

Bab' Credo Mutwa, what a book. this is such an amazing read, I started the book last year only to finish it this year! this book has got amazing insights on African history very intriguing and quite scary. I really enjoyed it and it made me want to know more about Black people's history who we are and where we really come from because from the book i learnt that we where a great people and we are made of a Powerful Beautiful People.

I am In-love!!
API
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A children's book sort of like Lord of the rings you'd imagine but close to history not accurate but of the few close to beginnings of mankind and the movement of the Nguni. As the sharman approved, i'd suggest advise anyone captured by this information to refer to books by Zechariah Stitchin for more.
Chad Ferlito
Amazing... Is very well written and translated for English readers...
Julius
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Als zusammenhängende Geschichte erzählte Mythen, die Zulu Kinder von den Ältesten erzählt bekommen. Praktisch die Gründungsgeschichte des Stammes.

Gut erzählt und aufschlussreich.
Buhlebamantungwa Mabaso Ka Mbuli
Beautiful writing and recollections of African history.
Nana Fredua-Agyeman
For most Africans the history of their lives, their culture, their ancestors, begins from the point of entry of the unknown men with pale skin, who would later become the colonialists and the oversea slave traders. To most of us who have gone through formal education studying subjects like Social Studies, Life Skills and a bit of History, not as an Elective but as a core, the farthest we can trace our history is to the borders of the Mali, Songhai and Ghana Empires. Even then, we do not know how ...more
Makhosonke Collin
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: bored n openminded christians
Recommended to Makhosonke by: nobody
Isanusi Credo Mutwa set out to write something akin to Koran or bible for Abantu. his effort though is let down by the reptilean race that he included as our ancestors here. I will have loved to have read him interweaving most of the common folklores of our ppl and taking them further instead of the reptiles. otherwise its not bad especially for young ones looking for OUR STORIES.
Marie Theron
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa, non-fiction
Wow, an incredible read....this book actually zaps your energy and needs to be put down now and then! The stories are so intense, and the reader better be ready to accept the cruelty and violence which lies behind the history and myths of Africa.
Dwainia Tullis
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book reads like a movie! It brings culture to life. After reading this you will understand the value of culture worldwide.Vusamazulu Credo Mutwa
Danie
Jun 26, 2011 added it
Just started.
Laurie
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty dense, but I enjoyed it.
Jerard van der Walt
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
changed the way i look at africa forever.
Ramon
Jan 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Family Trust
  • Let the Right One In
  • The World of Jeeves (Jeeves, #2-4)
  • Legacy: Gangsters, Corruption and the London Olympics
  • Peculia
  • Cave Girls of the Lost World
  • Violenzia and Other Deadly Amusements
  • The Hidden
  • Making Money (Discworld, #36; Moist Von Lipwig, #2)
  • Harbor
  • Dancing the Death Drill
  • Child 44 (Leo Demidov, #1)
Credo Mutwa began his life in Zululand on July 21 – 1921. He has heard about his origins and ancestral history from his father, because of the influence on his life for the most part of it. Followed by the great influenza outbreak, Credo’s father had to reallocate to save whatever was left of his family. His wife and several children had already died in South Africa.

It was 1920, just one year