Start by marking “Ochre Dragon (The Opal Dreaming Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ochre Dragon (The Opal Dreaming Chronicles, #1)

Ochre Dragon (The Opal Dreaming Chronicles, #1)

On three distant worlds, three women journey towards their destinies. Before they started out, all three made a choice - to forget they share a single soul.

In tech-ruled post-Crack Earth, where magic doesn't officially exist, project manager Ali's humdrum life under the crumbling Melba Dome is becoming weirder by the day. Her fingers keep glowing, a snarky dragon takes u
Kindle Edition
Published July 2020 by Tom Bird Retreats, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Ochre Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ochre Dragon

Start your review of Ochre Dragon (The Opal Dreaming Chronicles, #1)
L.A.
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
Ochre Dragons is a stunning, genre-bending work of the imagination that effortlessly engages both mind and heart. From the almost mythological Prologue to the pulse-racing conclusion, this is a glorious, multi-faceted gem of a book.

I began reading the Ebook on my Kindle, but a third of the way through, I ordered the paperback (available from Amazon at a ridiculously low price, just saying). The story just seemed too epic, too huge in scope, to be contained within a small, flat electronic device.
Emily Wrayburn
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind 27 May 2020:

This was definitely different to the fantasy I usually read. I guess that may be partly because a lot of the fantasy I read is YA, and therefore has a different feel and pace.

Ochre Dragon is the first in the Opal Dreaming Chronicles and it follows three women at different stages of life, living on different worlds, who are irrevocably linked.

The book seamlessly blends science and magic, giving us dystopia, deities, dragons and t
Megan Rivera
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and a very interesting read with a great storyline. I enjoyed all the women and how they train their dragon soulmates. It’s a great fantasy book that takes place in a different world with a great ending.
Chandni  Majumdar
Ochre Dragon is a fine piece of fantasy mixed with scifi. High on imagination quotient it enthralls the reader.
Three women Mirandah, Ali and Dee are the central characters of the story. And they are from three different times. All three of them at first seem very ordinary, timid and submissive. But they have one thing in common-- they are searching for their magic.
Very imaginative, nothing ordinary and very much holding the torch for women power.
If I have to describe Ochre Dragon in word it
Jacki Cobb
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ochre Dragon by V.E. Patton had me racing to finish well into the night. Seriously, it's currently 3:35AM as I am writing this.

With three completely different main characters to follow in different places/worlds, different levels of magic and dragons popping in and out of walls this story was well thought out and brilliantly written.

It's hard to write one character that engages the reader well but Patton makes it work with all three females. Dee, the child with an unfortunate beginning. Me
Britny
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING. This book is a hidden gem and I loved it to say the least. I LOVE all the magic and how it’s centered around women because I don’t see that often in books like these. Also weirdly I’m a sucker for authors with pseudonyms. The book was great all in all.
10/10 would recommend
Noelle Brighton
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a GEM! Patton's world building skills are incredible and her vision of the characters and their lives is amazing. The story is deep and intense and sets the stage so well for the coming novels. It pulls you in and takes you to not just one world, but several. We are introduced to three women who are so much more than they seem, and the connection they share that has such depth. I'll be watching for more from this author. Well done! ...more
Clare Rhoden
Prepare to be entranced by this multi-layered, feisty story - a masterpiece of world-building on a complex and engaging scale.
Three women - Ali, Merindah, and Dee - and their three dragons live on different worlds. Each world is imperilled, and each woman can act to stave off the danger, but only at enormous cost to herself. Add to this the tiny but rather important fact that they all share the one soul, and you begin to realise the enormity of the challenge ahead of them. As in the best of que
K.M. Allan
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a fantasy tale that covers all bases, this is the book for you. Dragons, magic, time gates, Gods and Goddesses, other worlds, and dystopian societies reliant on futuristic tech make up the bulk of this beautifully written story. It's mainly told from the perspective of three different female characters, who seem to have no connection to each other until the pieces of their lives start to come together towards the end of the book. By the time you get to the closing chapters, you won't ...more
Shreya Agarwal
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a captivating mishmash of thriller, mystery and the best element ever - fantasy. Being a book lover, I love reading anything I can lay my hands on; but when a book promises magic and fantasy, I just have to read it. This is the reason I took up this book and I am so glad I did. The author's knack for story writing and the way she captures the reader's unwavering attention is commendable. Highly recommend this book. ...more
Laurie Bell
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three worlds, three women, three stories, one purpose. This is a tale spanning eons and the universe full of magic, destiny, gods and dragons. This story has gorgeous worldbuilding, visually stunning landscapes and three well drawn main characters.

Gosh, keeping track of one main character and ensuring one world remains consistent is hard enough. V.E.Patton does a fabulous job of engaging the reader in the lives of all three of her main characters. Each world remains fully consistent with its uni
Mary Jaimes-Serrano
This is a fantastic story of three lives, separated by time that must come together to save the world. V. E. Patton has created a world that slowly pulls the reader in and immerses them in the magic of the story. The lives of these three women are ordinary until they become extraordinarily amazing. The author has done a magnificent job in building suspense, a fantasy world that beckons the reader to consider it further, and leaves them longing for more. Throw in a few dragons and I am hooked. I ...more
Guy Worthey
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend the high-magic fantasy Ochre Dragon. It's immersive escapism for grown-ups.

The setting is a magical universe full of worlds and facing a future cataclysm of destruction or rebirth. The individual worlds we get a glimpse of are dying. The surviving humans are quietly desperate, fighting to survive on the limited resources remaining. Ali lives in a domed city, sealed off from a poisoned world by a totalitarian authority. Merindah lives in the upper caste of a world where hope f
Cheryl McDonald
When I first read the synopsis, I thought perhaps this will help my sisters and I get along better. Well, I was completely wrong so I re-read they synopsis. Now I got it.

Dragons fascinate me and I know there is magic with dragons. That is the extent of my interest in this book. It started out slow and was hard for me to get into the groove; however, like all good reads, it ended with me wanting to read the next in the series, NOW!

Can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Jacqui Greaves
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

My favourite books are intelligent and entertaining, with complex characters, fantastic settings and gripping storylines. Ochre Dragon ticked off all those requirements and more.
Patton has created a delightful cast of complex mostly female characters who are not always who they seem to be. The principle characters Merindah, Ali and Dee live in different places, and maybe even different worlds, yet they are inextricably linked through a beautifully developed mythology concerning the fate
Bailey
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i may be a little biased because i love divulging myself into mystical and enchanting storylines, but the characters and diction of this story (or interweaving of stories, if you will) went above and beyond my expectations. allowing myself to get lost in this otherworldly book has been an absolute pleasure, and I can’t wait to see what happens in Soul Staff. i do truly hope the author continues to share their take on literary works of art with us, as they are a treasure.
Catherine Girard-Veilleux
Introduction
When I saw that beautiful cover with three women and a dragon (a dragon, so great!) who all looked powerful and intriguing, I knew I wanted to review this book. I was kindly granted my request, but alas I don’t think this book fulfilled all of its promises. At least to me.

Read on to find what worked and what didn’t!

*I received a free ecopy in exchange for an honest review. No compensation has been given and I write this book review willingly. A big thanks to BookTasters and V. E.
Rachel Alvarez
V.E. Patton and Veronica Strachan have created a complex and compelling world filled with secret plots and scheming societies that leave the reader thirsty for more. The characters throughout are portrayed as very human - riddled with flaws, doubts, and insecurities, but also beautiful moments of strength, growth, unity, and acceptance. Our three heroines are uniquely relatable, though I connected more strongly with some than others.
The matriarchal society was an interesting change of pace for
Kerstin Vollbrecht
Ochre dragon is a beautiful story whose main characters are three women, all of different ages and living in different worlds, who are strongly connected by possessing each a fragment of the same soul.
The book captured my attention from the beginning because the chargers are very lively described, each battling their own demons and trying to understand theirs strange connection with each other. The thread of the story is also very well developed as well.
Janet Rickard
Nov 03, 2019
Timothy Cook
Sep 10, 2020
V.E. Patton
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Caroline Rhind

• White Abyss
  • LOTTIE JONES AND THE MAGICAL REALMS: DRAGORON
  • Night People
  • Cosmic Phases
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1)
  • The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)
  • An Assassin In Time
  • The Oscar Goes To
  • Simone LaFray and the Chocolatiers' Ball (Simone LaFray, #1)
  • Disappearing Earth
  • Night Plague
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
  • The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5)
  • The King's Curse (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #7; Cousins War #6)
  • The Exiled (War of the Roses, #2)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • Moon Tiger
V. E. Patton is the pen name of Veronica Strachan. She is the bestselling author of Ochre Dragon the first book in her epic fantasy series The Opal Dreaming Chronicles.

V. E. spent as much of her childhood as she could lost in a good book. She wrote stories and poems as soon as she learnt to read and her favourite place in the world was the local library. She spent most of her adult life lost in a