Start by marking “The Dead Tell Lies: an absolutely gripping mystery thriller” as Want to Read:
The Dead Tell Lies: an absolutely gripping mystery thriller

The Dead Tell Lies: an absolutely gripping mystery thriller

Greg Adams, a criminal psychologist at Scotland Yard, specialises in bringing serial killers to justice. He tracks down a spree serial killer nicknamed the Divine, who has already killed six teenage girls and is about to kill a seventh. Greg works out the location where he is hiding and joins a raid. The police capture the Divine and save the girl, but on the very same nig ...more
Kindle Edition
Published July 15th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Tell Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Tell Lies

Start your review of The Dead Tell Lies: an absolutely gripping mystery thriller
Linda Strong
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Greg Adams is a criminal psychologist known for his ability to get into a killer's head. He is at the top of his game, having just put away his sixth serial killer when his wife is brutally murdered by another killer known as the Dreamer.

A year later, his wife's killer has not been found. Greg has quit his job and is contemplating suicide. He only stops from pulling the trigger when the phone rings. It's a man who states the Dreamer is dead and that he wasn't the one that killed his wife.

He retu
Sue
THE DEAD TELL LIES is a psychological crime thriller by J.F. Kirwan. This is one novel that you will not be able to put down until you finish the last page. A definite winner!

A predator is on the loose!

Greg Adams, a criminal psychologist at Scotland Yard, specializes in catching serial killers. He tracks down a serial killer nicknamed the Divine, who has already killed six teenage girls and is about to kill a seventh. Greg works out the location where he is hiding and joins a raid. The police
Ami-May
Plot/Narrative

Greg an ex psychologist/criminologist who worked at Scotland Yard who get inside the minds of serial killers and hunts them down stopped when his wife Kate was brutally murdered in the most sickening way by the serial killer, The Dreamer.  He successfully put away a few serial killers in his career.

After handing in his license, and so very near to ending his own life not being able to go on with his life without Late. He receives a phone call just at the right time.

He has now be
Alyson Read
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serial killers in London are a bit like buses in this book - they certainly all seem to have come at once for Greg Adams who has now been involved in the capture of no less than six. In true serial killer fashion, they are all given names like The Torch and The Gravedigger. Not only that but whilst he was helping catch number six, The Divine, yet another one known as The Dreamer was murdering Greg's wife Kate. Or at least that's what everyone has believed up till now. Three months before the sta ...more
Jéssica
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Before, I wouldn't read many Thriller, except for a couple of authors I absolutely love. Recently that as changed and I sound out that I quite enjoy reading thriller/crime/mystery novels in the late afternoon. Especially now with the summery weather here in Portugal. I get tired and a thrilling book is what I need to get my energy levels up.

"The Dead Tell Lies" caught my attention immediately when I read the title. Who wouldn't be curious to read the synopsis and, knowing it's a crime/thriller n
Dee Groocock
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greg Adams is a criminal psychologist and works at Scotland Yard. When Greg’s wife, Kate is found murdered by a killer called The Dreamer, Greg tries for find him. When he can’t, he quits his job and feels he can’t carry on without Kate. As he is about to kill himself, he receives a phone call stating that The Dreamer is dead and he didn’t kill Kate! This phone call makes Greg go back to work and start hunting for who did kill his wife.

This is the first book of J.F. Kirwan’s that I have read and
Chris Nolan
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another author who is new to me courtesy of the dependable Bloodhound Books and an absolutely cracking novel! Greg Adams is a psychologist who works with Scotland Yard and he is responsible for the incarceration of a number of serial killers. When his wife is murdered by one of the aforementioned Greg is tempted to end it all but is persuaded to take the case on, at great risk to himself. The narrative is tense and taut, the twists and turns of plot are plentiful and I hope there is more to come ...more
Chitra Iyer
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dead Tell Lies by J F Kirwan is a psychological thriller about which I will be discussing today. I have read the author’s Nadia Laksheva series but this one, I must say, is my favourite!

An adrenaline pumping page turner which will not allow you to rest until you’ve finished it, that is guaranteed! For a thriller fan like me, it is so satisfying to come across these reads and this year, I have been particularly lucky. This book has already made it to the list of my top books.

Okay, enough ramb
Amanda
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love discovering new authors and J. F. Kirwan is definitely a new author for me. Judging by how much I enjoyed reading 'The Dead Tell Lies', I can guarantee that I will be reading more of his work in the future. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Dead Tell Lies' but more about that in a bit.
The main character is a man called Greg Adams, who as the story begins works as a criminal psychologist at New Scotland Yard. I was so jealous of his work as becoming a criminal psychologist has t
Felicia
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A psychologist who works with New Scotland Yard profiling serial killers, Greg Adams has figured out the pattern of the latest spree serial killer, The Divine, and rushes with law enforcement to stop the man from killing his next victim. However, only moments after seeing the psychopath led away in handcuffs, Greg’s world is upended when he learns his wife, Kate, was just murdered by another serial killer known as The Dreamer.

The hunt for The Dreamer goes nowhere. Burdened with grief and guilt,
Jane Willis
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Struggling to recover from the murder of his wife, Kate, criminal psychologist Greg Adams feels unable to work. Feeling suicidal, he decides to play Russian Roulette, something he and Kate had joked about in happier times. But his attempt is interrupted by a phone call that throws into question the identity of Kate’s murderer.

Adams decides to return to his job, profiling and attempting to secure convictions of serial killers, determined to find out the truth behind Kate’s murder, and in the pro
Jasmine
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Dead Tell Lies is one heck of an intense thrill ride. The story follows Greg, a criminal psychologist who hunts down serial killers. He's currently on the trail of a killer called The Divine, and he's determined to save at least one of the victims. Fortunately, he does. Unfortunately, for him, his wife is murdered at the same time by a different killer called The Dreamer. What?!
A year late, Greg is ready to end it all. He doesn't have his job or his wife. What's left to live for?
A mysteriou
Kate Avery
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites-2020
Rating 4.5/5

I was at the same time excited and nervous when I picked this book up, I always worry when delving into a book by an author whose previous books I have enjoyed, if it will live up to my expectations. I’m so happy to say that I needn’t have been nervous at all, this is another amazing book from J.F. Kirwan.

From the moment I read the description I knew that this was a book I wanted to read, serial killers, a case that is too personal to the protagonist and the possibility that he has t
Sharon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You have no idea how excited I was to review another J.F. Kirwan novel. He is my go-to author if I want to read an extremely gripping and fast-paced crime thriller and The Dead Tell Lies definitely did not disappoint.

What can I say about Greg Adams, criminal psychologist, recent widower, and the next target of a serial killer? It is extraordinary to watch how Greg analyzes a case and dangerously places himself in the serial killer’s shoes to figure out how a twisted mind thinks. Greg’s story is
Misfits farm
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent crime book with a criminal psychologist- right up my street. Greg works for the police as the psychologist or at least he did until his wife got murdered. He had tracked the killer down and as he caught him he said “right time wrong place” and it was Kate who was sadly in the firing line. A while later and he still can’t get things out of his mind- something just doesn’t add up and he receives a message leading him to believe that he is right- Kate’s killer is still out there. He re ...more
Karen
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer nicknamed The Divine has already killed six teenage girls and is about to kill a seventh. Managing to find his location, criminal psychologist Greg Adams joins a raid, helping to capture the sadistic killer and saving the girl. Ecstasy soon turns to agony, however, when, Greg discovers that his own wife has been brutally slain by another killer, The Dreamer.

A year later, unable to find the man who killed his wife, Greg’s life has taken a turn for the worse. With no job and a load
Jessica Belmont
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dead Tell Lies is my first read from J. F. Kirwan and I’m definitely a new fan. This is a mystery thriller led by a criminal psychologist, which made it not only interesting but intriguing too.
Greg is an excellent main character. I think his job helped him in ways he would not have had if he’d been something else. His reactions seemed realistic and he was a fleshed out character.
The mystery is compelling and the pacing is great. I really was invested in the plot line from beginning to end an
Bobbi Wagner
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this book. It is a thriller-mystery that pulled me in from the beginning. It is an engaging, fast paced story that has great well developed characters. They made the story feel real and easy to read. The twists and turns were great and had me sitting on the edge of my seat just waiting to see what would happen next. This is about one detective that solves serial killer cases until it became personal. A year later still no hope in solving his wifes case, he recieves a phone call that co ...more
peggy
A new author for me and OMG WHAT A READ!!!
I literally devoured this book in one sitting, finally turning the last page at 2.am. This is easily one of the best books I have read this year. A nail biting, heart racing and at times gut wrenching page turner. After reading the blurb for this book it went straight to the top of my reading list and in no way was I disappointed. This read ticked all my boxes, tension and suspense in spades and a plethora of Serial Killers. A highly original premise whi
Lynn
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time is of the essence, and it's running out.

Took a while to get into it, but then you are pulled in and are gripped.

Greg Adams finds himself consulting on another serial killer case with Scotland Yard. Only this times things take a personal turn.
Devastated by what happens Greg is even more determined to find the killer,who appears to be copycatting past serial killers that he has helped to convict and put away.

Things spin around again and it’s not long before Greg finds himself on a double m
David Pollard
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Dead Tell Lies by J F Kirwan is presents an absorbing and entertaining story with plenty of incident and plot twists. The characters are well drawn and the main protagonists are attractive and the reader easily forms a bond with them. It is intelligently written and well structured and is easily worth the 5 star rating.

I was very pleased to have had this book recommended to me. I would certainly read another book by this author.
Leanne Fisher
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting crime thriller with serial killers galore.

Greg Adam's a physiologist specialising in hunting serial killers hits rock bottom when his wife is murdered.

This book follows Greg trying to find the truth about who really killed his wife. I was hooked on this book straight away though half way through I got a little confused with all the characters. It all fell in to place quickly though and made for an exciting dramatic read.
Mary Johnson
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes stretching reality to the extreme, this is a generous four stars for a story whose potential was damaged by unnecessary complexity and length.

The beginning was difficult to follow and felt like I had missed reading a few earlier books. The ‘serial catcher’ unsurprisingly becomes the serial hunted - he and any for whom he cares.

A reader of murder mysteries for decades, I have become cynical. Every now and again I am surprised by the vicious ways authors kill their characters. This was
Vina
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A clear 5 stars for “The Dead Tell Lies”By J.F.Kirwan. A very absorbing, thrilling and unputdownable book, it is a tale about serial killers. Yes, plural. The writer tells us the story from the point of view of Gregory Adams, a criminal psychologist, as he tries to get into the minds of the killers. It is a bit long, but at no point is there a lag. Which is rare in lengthy books.

5 Stars.
Ruth Matheson
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A tad slow to begin with, however the author is setting the scene for some gruesome serial killers who quite literally take things into their own hands even whilst being incarcerated. Lots of action in the book with twists right up to the very end. Really enjoyed the story and would recommend it.
Thanks to Bloodhound Books for the ARC to review.
Mrs T Shaban
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good storyline but found characters in book hard to get into.

The story behind this book is good but for some reason I found it hard to get into, so many characters to remember who did what?? I had to keep re-reading paragraphs over again.
Ellie Shepherd
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, I don't know where to begin, to even do this book justice which it deserves. I loved the characters, the settings and the story. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish, I didn't want it to end!
Amanda
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the read and hope that there will be more to follow
Danny Matheson
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If ever there was a book that was a true page turner and you wouldn't want to put it down this is it. J F Kirwan had created a wonderful character in Greg Adams, a criminal psychologist. Adams is used to catching serial killers however he was under immense pressure to catch the latest one.

This is a gripping, meaty thriller which is fast paced and thoroughly enjoyable to read.

Thank you to Bloodhound Books for the ARC which I've reviewed voluntarily
Caroline Venables
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is an excellent read. Especially if you like reading about serial killers.

When Greg Adam’s wife is murdered by a serial killer, he loses hope and is on the brink of suicide. He is a criminal psychologist, he tracks killers and he has failed to protect his own wife. When the murderer is found he believes that his life is over until a phone call throws him into action.

What he has come to believe about his wife’s murder is untrue and the culprit is still at large. Could the unthinkable be

• Room 15
  • Deadly Secrets
  • No Way Out (DC Nasreen Maqsood, #1)
  • Right Beside You
  • Stranded
  • The Lost Girls
  • Liars
  • Without Her Consent
  • This Side of Death (CSI Eddie Collins, #6)
  • Unleashed
  • The Girl I Used To Be
  • The Deadly Truth
  • Deadly Cry (DI Kim Stone #13)
  • #MeToo
  • Somebody’s Daughter (Detective Natalie Ward #7)
J. F. Kirwan is the author of the Nadia Laksheva thriller series for HarperCollins. Having worked in accident investigation and prevention in nuclear, offshore oil and gas and aviation sectors, he uses his experience of how accidents initially build slowly, then race towards a climax, to plot his novels.

An instructor in both scuba diving and martial arts, he travels extensively all over the world,

News & Interviews