Start by marking “Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #3)” as Want to Read:
Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #3)

Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood

(Sisterhood #3)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  66,167 Ratings  ·  1,662 Reviews
“A fun and poignant coming-of-age story," declared Entertainment Weekly of the third novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares, author of The Here and Now.

It’s the summer before the sisterhood departs for college . . . their last real summer together before they head off to start their grown-up lives. It’s the time
Published June 13th 2006 by Ember (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Girls in Pants, please sign up.
Aisling Just like you would read any other book! Make sure you have read the first 2 books before you read this one,

Trina (Between Chapters)
Maybe 4.5 stars?

I think this is my favorite book of the series so far. It's hard to tell because the first book packs such a hard punch right off the bat. But I didn't realize how little I liked book 2 until book 3 walked in and brought back that intensity! It's made more powerful because of all the history I now have with these girls and their lives.

I still just don't enjoy the format of this book, and I keep getting stuck on that. But I feel like the writing has vastly improved since book 1. I
Deana
Jul 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shannon (leaninglights)
Loved rereading this book! This is about the summer before college and we see Bridget, Tibby, Lena and Carmen grow up a lot and figure out what they want. Loved, loved, loved :)
Antof9
TISSUE ALERT!

Well, I was told to have more tissues on hand for this book than the other two. That was good advice. This definitely had more heavy moments, and earlier on, than the first two books.

The author's writing was a bit more poetic in this book, as if her writing, like The Septembers, is growing up. This book takes place during the summer after their senior year of high school, and I actually got choked up when I read the second sentence in this section: "But if you're me, you realize tha
Léa
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toujours une aussi bonne lecture. J'ai adoré suivre la suite de leurs aventures et les bouleversements de leurs vies. Une grande étape va être franchie par les 4 amies avec les peurs qui l'accompagne.
Un récit encore une fois émouvant et très facile à lire.
Kirsten
Nov 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
So frustrating!!!! I had some issues with Book #2, but really wanted to see what happened next, so I moved on to Book #3. I seriously want to slap everybody in this book. Brashares doesn't seem to realize that in order for characters to mature, they should (hopefully) learn from their mistakes and their experiences. No one has progressed one whit. Carmen is still terribly upset when anybody has something going on in her life that doesn't revolve around her, and proceeds to act like a very small ...more
Jazmine
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sisterhood fans worldwide!
Recommended to Jazmine by: been reading the series
The third summer of the sisterhood takes place before their freshman year of college. This is an important time in their life and they are anxious for their futures. Everyone this summer is staying in Bethesda except for Bridget who attends soccer camp in Pennsylvania where she is reunited with Erik, her heartthrob from two summers ago who changed her forever. This time though after creating a friendship they pursue a relationship together. Brian and Tibby are in love, but Tibby is afraid they w ...more
Lizz
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Okay, Brashares, you should have quit while you were ahead. The plot is thin. The story is anti-climactic. I love the descriptive writing style, but it doesn't make up for what's lacking.

It seems as if Brashares was forced to write this book in a limited amount of time. There's very little development, and frankly, it's boring. Relationships are built-up and there's no follow through. The characters get what they want with very little effort, the events are predictable and too much is said inst
Sylvia
I loved this book!! Such a great story!! Glad that carmen went to the college she wanted too!!
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
3.5 Stars

Re-Read: September 7-13, 2016
Original Read: May 26-27, 2009

My re-read of the series continues... this time on audio book. All so I can *finally* read the final book in the series, Sisterhood Everlasting.

I had forgotten so much about this third book (then again it has been seven years since I originally read it). I don't feel the need to do a full review so here are some random thoughts.

* For the third book/summer in a row Bridget is away from the other girls. In the first book they were
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I. Does it represent/portray and do it well?

One of the protagonists and some minor characters are characters of color. Another character is heavily immersed in her culture. Grief/suicide/mental health is covered throughout the series, and done well. Elderly issues are explored.

II. Does it teach me something or make me think?

It definitely inspires reflection. It’s the kind of book that makes you analyze yourself.

III. Does it perpetuate healthy ideals?

Absolutely! Carmen, Lena, and Bridget all s
Viir
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book we follow Carmen, Bridget, Tibby and Lena to their "last" summer. They all graduate high school and are soon to start university. So this summer is special, exciting and nerve-wrecking. Totally understandable that as young adults/ late teens your are scared and contemplating about your future. Especially in the US, where a lot of kids leave their homes to start college or university.

Carmen gets into emotional turmoil because her mother has plans that are not really to her liking. Le
Ashley
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm, I really enjoy this series but this installment seemed a bit weepy and needy. The focus of the third book is avoidance, which can get annoying at times but ultimately you know all will be alright. I think that some parts could have been left out and at one point all of the characters seemed to blend together until I would walk away and come back, completely confused as to who I was reading about. All in all, not my favorite but I still like the series.
Victoria Scott
Another great book in this series! Although, admittedly, maybe not as good as the rest.
The fabulous Bee is back with a vengeance. At the end of book 1, Eric made her lose her spark. So book 2 was all about her learning to love herself again. Now, the Bee I fell in love with in book 1 was back! And, so was Eric. So, we had exactly what I wanted - awkward sexual tension, flirting, stress, and gossip with the girls. It didn't end how I wanted it to. I won't tell you what happened, of course. But I
Jennie
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh, you guys. The last book of this series is going to hurt so much. I love these girls. I want to go back in time so I’m young enough to hang out with them and then I want us to all grow up together so they can help me understand things like mortgages and my 401k. But I guess I’ll just have to stick with the books because (NEWSFLASH, SELF) these characters are not real people.

The third book in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series takes place just after the girls have graduated from high
Melissa (ladybug)
From the goodreads blurb:
"We’re facing our last summer together. In September we go to college. And it’s not like one of those TV shows where all of us magically turn up at the same college. We’re going to four different colleges in four different cities (but all within four hours of one another—that was our one rule). We’re headed off to start our real lives."
This is the first book I have read in this series. It is about 4 girls who are friends throughout high school. This book takes place thei
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
This book is from Tibby's point of view

The sisterhood of the Traveling Pants graduates from high school and spends their last summer before college learning about life and themselves.

So I am reading the third book, and again Carmen is killing me, she just spoiled everything. I just finished and I am really happy for Carmen's choice on Win and Williams, and for Tibby and Brian, and Bee and Erik and Lena for once doing what she is good at. But I don't want the series to end.
Mom2triplets04
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-listened
I listened to this on audio for the read along #pantsalong. I enjoyed the fact that the girls have all matured a bit since the last two books. It's the summer before they go to college. But without spoiling the book I felt that some of the storylines were a bit unrealistic and we don't see much of the pants in this book. The storyline that I enjoyed the most was Carmen's mothers. Looking forward to reading the next book.
Nicole Dunton
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me a little bit. I mean I didn't hate the second book. Not really. But it just made me feel like this shouldn't have been turned into a series. I mean it was cute and adorable, but it was just... I'm not sure how to explain it exactly. I did like it though. And I did enjoy reading it very much.

There are some parts that were rather hastily put in that should have been discussed a little more for context. There were other parts that I didn't understand were included at all. Mo
Anniek
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books all blended together in my head over the past years, but this installment is again a nice one, of which I forgot quite a bit! I might be cliché but I really liked some of the life-changing things that happened.
Bitchin' Reads
Yep, still my favorite book in this series. These characters have grown so much!
K.
Okay, so here's my main problem with this book: I just didn't give a shit. They all felt incredibly passive in their stories in this one - with the possible exception of Carmen. Tibby spends the book floating into a relationship with Brian that she doesn't actually seem to want. Lena spends the book floating around drawing pictures of her family members, and the scholarship she's trying to get through the pictures is almost an afterthought. Bee spends the book floating through coaching at soccer ...more
Allegra S
Apr 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I enjoyed the movie of the first book, so I picked up the second and third books to read. I got them in the french translation because I figured that I might as well be learning something if I'm going to read fluffy books.

The second book was ok and managed to keep my attention, but this one was a total flop. I kept reading online how all the books are so much different from one another and that this one is the best one of all. They are not different! In any way! See formula:
1) The girls are sad
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Rereading all 4 books this summer (after 10+ years) and reading for the first time Sisterhood Everlasting.

The 4 girls face some hard challenges this summer. It is the summer before college and there are a lot of life lessons and self-discoveries. I love how Ms. Brashares takes important life lessons and weaves them in to accessible and moving journeys. Lena learns to fight for what she wants and how to uncover the truth with her art - "always draw the chair." Bridget has matured a lot since her
Brooke
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first two, but I still love these books and really liked the ending in this one! I felt this book showed more of the "coming of age" story and that it is inevitable that we all at some point grow up and move on. Now on too the next book ! :)
Nusrah Javed
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favorite forever and is even more so now!
Heatherblakely
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why am I crying
Emma
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
V good.
Christina
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I still really loved this book, I did see some flaws in it. There are a handful of continuity issues, which stood out to me since I’m reading the books back to back. I also found it odd that God is mentioned so many times in this book. It felt like the author suddenly found religion. Nonetheless, this is an important installment in the series. I was surprised how much of this book I didn’t remember. I’m looking forward to rereading the (original) last book.
Olivia
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Its another cute summer but the plot is practically the same. Each girl ventures out and has a conflict but they each overcome it and find their way back to each other. Its cute but very repetitive.
recommened books 8 66 Jun 25, 2013 12:39AM
Katherine: Week one posting 1 19 Sep 15, 2009 06:47PM
  • The Secrets of Peaches (Peaches, #2)
  • Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)
  • Startled by His Furry Shorts (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #7)
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Tall Cool One (A-List, #4)
  • Unforgettable (It Girl, #4)
  • Fourth Comings (Jessica Darling, #4)
  • Bass Ackwards and Belly Up (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #1)
  • Girl at Sea
  • Life as It Comes
  • Best Foot Forward (Rules of the Road, #2)
  • The Becoming (Daughters of the Moon, #12)
Ann Brashares grew up in Chevy Chase, Maryland, with three brothers and attended a Quaker school in the D.C. area called Sidwell Friends. She studied Philosophy at Barnard College, part of Columbia University in New York City. Expecting to continue studying philosophy in graduate school, Ann took a year off after college to work as an editor, hoping to save money for school. Loving her job, she ne ...more

Sisterhood (5 books)
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
  • The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #2)
  • Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #4)
  • Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5)
“When you feel someone else's pain and joy as powerfully as if it were your own, then you know you really loved them.” 569 likes
“When she is happy, she can't stop talking, when she is sad she doesn't say a word.” 363 likes