Start by marking “Unboxed” as Want to Read:

Unboxed

Greg Zipper is a paranormal vlogger whose livelihood relies on his online popularity. When a fight between him and his girlfriend goes viral for all the wrong reasons, Greg purchases a dark web mystery box in hopes of restoring his audience's faith in him and hitting one million subscribers. But when Greg opens the box, he gets much more than he bargained for, including a ...more
Published July 25th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Unboxed, please sign up.
Briana Morgan I'd say teen and up! There is some strong language and frightening content, but nothing too heinous.

Start your review of Unboxed
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I've been so excited for this, as someone who adores technology-themed horror, and it did not disappoint! The play format was so interesting — I've never read a play outside of classics, and it created such a rich atmosphere that I felt like I was watching a movie in my head (which isn't something I can say about many books, personally!).

I loved the idea of this dark web mystery box unboxing because it's something I could so easily see becoming an IRL trend, and I enjoyed how authentic the vlog
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
SCREAM Review coming!!
Elizabeth Sagan
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffree Star meets Black Mirror in this horror play that follows Greg Zipper, a paranormal vlogger who'd do anything to hit 1 million subscribers. Even open Pandora's box.

I've been in the mood for stories about the dark side of social media for quite a while and Unboxed came into my life at the right time. I was even more so excited for it since it's a play and, if I don't take into account the mandatory high-school literature, I've never read one. A pleasant surprise and I highly recommend it.
Janelle Janson
When I picked up Briana Morgan’s UNBOXED, I didn’t know what I was getting into. I went in completely blind because I love surprises and this one knocked my socks off!

Greg Zipper is a paranormal internet vlogger whose ultimate goal is to hit one million subscribers. However, when he accidentally posts an argument between himself and his girlfriend, his subscribers drop. He decides to go the extra mile and hit the dark web to purchase a Mystery Box. When he shares the unboxing with his followers,
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I never thought I would end a horror story by going "Awwwwww." But I did!! This is written in play format and personally, I love reading formats like these - you get straight to the point, lots of dialogue and no chance of any overly descriptive paragraphs to slog through. Morgan brings us an amazing short play that hits hard in less than 100 pages.

I've always been fascinated with the Dark Web - I mean, if you're morbid like I am, how could you not be? Would I ever dabble there? 99% likely NOT..
Becca
Honestly, the dark web scares the heck out of me.

But I love love love films and books that dive into the scarier parts of the internet (& technology, in general).

When I saw the cover of Unboxed I was like, yes. I'm here. And then, I saw that it was a play & I was like ... I'm still here. & then, here's the kicker, I saw the synopsis & I was like YES. THIS IS THE ONE. And, my dear reader, I was not disappointed.

Unboxed, in only 68-pages, really packs a punch.

Unboxed dives into how Zipper's You
Richelle SheReadsHorror
Let talk about plays... How do you feel about reading plays?!

I’ve never read a play before but this book makes me want more! Okay... I know I read one in school but I was uninterested. I’m not even sure I was mentally present that day. Briana makes me want to change all that. She wrights plays like a fast paced novella that makes you want to envision all the details. As I was reading, I was setting the stage and visualizing what each room would look like. I had the control of imagination and I
Andrew Fowlow
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greg Zipper is a paranormal vlogger on the verge of reaching a massive milestone, one million subscribers. After getting a small taste of success, Greg decides that he needs to do something drastic if he's ever going to make it to the big-time. So, he takes to the dark web in search of that special something that will help him accomplish his ultimate goal and make him an internet star. Only, what he finds is much more sinister than he ever imagined and reaching one million subscribers is the las ...more
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, lohf
I can't remember the last time that I read a play, but if Briana Morgan's UNBOXED is any indication of the fun experience I have been missing then I have to rectify that! I am blown away by how great this play is and how much was told and conveyed in less than 100 pages. When we first settle in, I immediately sense some toxicity in the relationship between our two main characters, Greg and Alice. I thought, "There is no way I will end up liking this guy or thinking that Alice is smart for loving ...more
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
Short and spookier than expected Unboxed was a creepy little delight!

There's love, loss and a sense of leeriness in this horror play and it all played out perfectly, while leaving some pieces for me to puzzle over.

If you're looking for a short unique spooky story that explores the dangers of the dark web as well as love in the time of internet popularity...this is for you!
Emily
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐

It's been a while since I read a play, and I had fun with Unboxed! The story worked well in this format. There was one part that really creeped me out even though I guessed it was coming, and I liked that. I wasn't wild about the direction it went in at the end, and I was hoping it would have gone darker, but I still enjoyed the book. I could have done without the animal death, though. There was a good amount of content for a tiny book, and it was an entertaining read.

CW - animal death
Cassie Daley
I absolutely love Briana Morgan’s writing, and when I found out she was releasing a new horror story written in the form of a play, I knew I had to have it – even without knowing the summary yet. Once more details were released and I realized this was a story involving a paranormal vlogger (I love modern technology in horror so much!) who gets a little in over his head with a ‘dark web mystery box’, I started counting down the days to its release. I’m super happy to say that the day is finally h ...more
Glenn  Parker
Unboxed takes a very original approach to how it's presented, or maybe I just haven't seen it done before, but I really enjoyed the formatting of the book. It's set out as a screenplay and we are basically reading the script, watching the stage act play out in front of us and I found it really enjoyable.

and Can we just talk about THAT scene for a minute? You know the scene I am talking about. It was genuinely super fucking creepy and had me almost shitting my pants. Huge props for that. It's ve
Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees

Briana Morgan
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Greg Zipper and his girlfriend Alice live in a nice house with their pup, Rocco. She drives a new car and he has all the electronics a man could want. Finances aren't troubling because he makes plenty of money as a paranormal vlogger. Having a million subs is the goal and he will do anything to make it, to insure their life, to spoil his girl.

After a domestic fight is uploaded accidentally, subscribers start to aban
andrea caro
i told you, i will rate something way down for unnecessary animal death
Shar | sunsnacksseries
Thank you to the author for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.

note: the book is formatted as a play.

Wow. I fell in love with Briana Morgan's work after reading her kick-ass witchy YA Livingston Girls earlier this year. When I found out about this play, I knew I needed to get my hands on it. I've always loved theatre, and reading scripts can be a different type of magic.

Unboxed is creepy, entertaining, dark, and kept me turning the pages until I was finished the entire story in one-sittin
John Lynch
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve got a confession to make. I’ve never read a play before. You might ask yourself how is that possible, some of them are basically required reading in highschool, to you I would ask, do I look like someone who did ANYTHING they were supposed to in highschool? Do I look like I even showed up? So, like I said, Unboxed is my first and thanks to the skill at which author Briana Morgan pulled this off, I don’t believe it’s going to be my last.

First off, I really appreciate the setup. I like the de
Kami  Martin
I have watched plays on the stage and the big screen. I have read plays. I have even performed in and had a hand in play writing (many moons ago) so to say plays have played a large role in my life is a fair statement. I adore them on many levels- listening to them, this was a first for me.

There is an opening act followed by a character and setting track. Once you get through those short intros, the story is broken down into 2 Acts, each with 6 scenes.
The repetition of listening to a play is h
Peter
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new play from Briana Morgan is a fast paced, edge of the seat supernatural thriller that I couldn't put down. Much like her last play, Touch - a one act play, I read it in one sitting. As the play starts we are presented with Gred Zipper, a paranormal vlogger who is immediately unlikeable, but as the play progresses, we get a glimpse into Greg's past, and what he really wants from his future. There are some really great creepy moments in this play with a masterful build in tension.
I could e
Enzo
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey there ghosts and ghouls! Today, i have a special treat for you all, Briana Morgan’s play, UNBOXED!
The scene is set, well Act I is set where we meet Greg Zipper, a popular paranormal vlogger who is fixated with hitting 1 million subscribers! He’s nearly there, but it’s costing him his relationship with the love of his life, Alice. It appears that he is currently more connected with his vlog than the one he loves. However, Greg’s vlog is in turmoil, as a personal argument between him and Alice
Heather Horror Hellion
This book went above and beyond expectations!
I'm gonna be honest I hate plays. I did one-act play in high school and hated that too. I did not hate this though. I'm so pleasantly surprised, I loved how real and flawed the characters were. I loved the emotion you felt with the characters.
The only reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars is because the ending felt rushed. It felt like there could be more of a fleshed out ending and I wanted more!

This is one of my favorite books this year! Don't let th
Court
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

But when Greg opens the box, he gets much more than he bargained for, including a Boxer who’s determined to stop him from taking his loved ones for granted. Now Greg must do all he can to stop the Box
Beverley Lee
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very long time since I read a play (The Crucible way back in high school) and before I began I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to fully immerse myself in the formatting.

But I'm very happy to report that I was spectacularly wrong, and this short dark offering from Briana Morgan ticks all the boxes (no pun intended!) for cautionary tales blended with a creep factor.

Very much on-trend with its social media content, Ms Morgan spins an easily imagined tale of a young couple grappl
Mallory McCartney
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A action packed play that will keep readers engaged until the end! Loved the horror elements in this play! Check it out if you are a fan of the paranormal and horror!
Ben Long
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, horror, plays
I honestly can’t remember the last time I read a play outside of work (as an english teacher). But after reading this I’m convinced that it’s a genre, like dark poetry, that needs more mainstream attention in the horror world! Here the author does a great job of blending mystery, suspense, and character drama in a way that I really enjoyed. I found the characters and their marital conflict pretty relatable. I’m not a vlogger (yet?), but the issues of followers vs family and misplaced priorities ...more
Erin Talamantes
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greg Zipper is a paranormal vlogger who is pretty dang close to hitting 1 million subscribers. However, while his vlogging career seems to be flourishing, his relationship with his girlfriend, Alice, is not.
During a live stream, Alice and Greg get into a very heated argument, which doesn’t end well. A few days later the couple is spending some “time together,” which really means doing things separately in the same room. When Greg brings up other paranormal vloggers and how they got 1 million su
Kasey’s Reads
Okay, so the premise had my finger itching towards that “purchase now” button before I even knew what hit me. Add to that an unusual delivery and I knew I had to give this short story a go.

And it is indeed short, but that doesn’t mean it skips out on giving a pretty good voice to our two main characters and just enough of a story to really follow along- your mind effortlessly fills in a lot of the filler. The con of course (unless this is a pro for you) is that it is a short story, so the punche
Justin Lewis
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
We live in an interesting time for many reasons, but one of them is that just about anyone, with some effort, can build a following online if they bring something to the table. Maybe you stream games, maybe you review books, or maybe...you're a vlogger that's into the paranormal.

You make your first video, and someone likes it and subscribes. Then another and another and one day you have a large enough following to make it your full-time gig. It pays for the house, the car, your utilities. But y
Craig Wallwork
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You never know really what to expect when you pick up a book. You read the blurb and follow some of the reviews or comments made by other people, but until you turn that first page, it’s a mystery. This is an apt feeling because the premise of Unboxed is just that - the unknown. Greg is a paranormal vlogger hell-bent in trying to raise his profile and hit a million subscribers. He lives with with partner Alice and their fateful dog, Rocco. The premise is simple enough; Greg is just shy of his mi ...more
Adrian Johnson
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Briana Morgan for sending me a free eARC of her upcoming horror play, UNBOXED!

I am so honored for being selected to check this book out in exchange for an honest review, and let me just say, this play was a fun, quick, thrilling, on-the-edge-of-your-seat read! As much as I am a fan of reading scripts, whether it would be scripts for musicals, screenplays for movies, or scripts for stage plays, which this one is a play that explores the idea of a paranormal explorer vlogger

• Crossroads
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
  • The Malan Witch
  • Food Fright
  • Into the Forest and all the Way Through
Briana Morgan is a horror author and playwright who loves dark, suspenseful reads with angst-ridden relationships and complicated characters.

Briana lives with her partner and two cats in Atlanta.