Jump to ratings and reviews

Cape Harbor #2

Until Then

From New York Times bestselling author Heidi McLaughlin comes an uplifting story about two old friends finding new love.

Rennie Wallace has it all: a boyfriend, a good job, a best friend who lives a stone’s throw away…but something’s missing. She isn’t sure what until she returns to Cape Harbor, her favorite home away from home. There, she crosses paths with an old love, Graham. Rennie’s drawn to him but senses their paths in life have wandered too far apart.

Graham Chamberlain has returned to Cape Harbor to care for his brother, the town alcoholic. Managing and serving drinks at his family’s bar, Graham can’t believe how mundane his life has become. He’s resigned himself to living for others, his own desires for adventure and romance taking a back seat to running the family business—until Rennie walks through his door.

Graham feels the weight of his small-town life; Rennie has a boyfriend and a busy life in the city. But neither can deny the rekindled spark between them. Will they find their way back to one another?

343 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 2, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Heidi McLaughlin

96 books6,935 followers
Heidi McLaughlin is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of The Beaumont Series, The Boys of Summer, and The Archers.

In 2012, Heidi turned her passion for reading into a full-fledged literary career, writing over twenty novels, including the acclaimed Forever My Girl.

Heidi’s first novel, Forever My Girl, has been adapted into a motion picture with LD Entertainment and Roadside Attractions, starring Alex Roe and Jessica Rothe, and opened in theaters on January 19, 2018.

To stay connected with Heidi visit www.facebook.com/authorheidimclaughlin or heidimclaughlin.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
42 (1%)
1 star
18 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 149 reviews
Profile Image for Nilufer Ozmekik.
2,065 reviews38.1k followers
January 1, 2021
Hmmm... Okay... I honestly didn’t enjoy this book as much as the author’s previous works. It’s decent, good written story with so much angst, emotional family drama and reflects the grief, addiction, heartbreaks of the characters realistically and if you keen on reading small town slow burn second chance romances, this book can fit your expectations.

But I think I was expecting something more sweet, soft, safe, swoon kind of easy read. And too detailed flashback scenes held me back to see the characters’ future selves.

I know two of them had an unfinished business and right now heroine is engaged, living in a big city as hero is trapped in the town to deal with his brother’s addiction problem and supporting his family emotionally and financially. So they aren’t in their best moods to think about the romance and chase their HEA!

This can be read as standalone but I think there are still some gaps to fill so you’d better start from the first book for better understanding and connection with the characters.

Overall: I think I was the wrong reader to choose this story or my current mood affected me negatively to resonate with characters’ drama. So I decided to give solid three stars. Neither I enjoyed nor I hated it.

But you should still give it a chance if you like angsty, sad, slow town family dramas, second chances love stories. The writing was still promising and I’m so sure true fans of the author may enjoy it.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Montlake for sharing this ARC with me in exchange my honest opinions.
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,794 reviews617 followers
March 30, 2021
Until Then is a sweet, small town, second chance romance. Not a typical dramatic second chance romance but with a lot of family drama in the middle.

What really floored me is Graham. He sacrificed everything to return back home to take care his family. Especially his brother. There are some loss, family issues and letting go. Miss McLaughlin done a good job bringing Graham to life. He is a perfect man.

I usually have problem with the slow pace of the story, but to my surprise, I enjoy Until Then very much.

Overall a very good book.

4 stars
Profile Image for Zoe.
1,749 reviews157 followers
February 11, 2021
Emotional, sobering, and optimistic!

Until Then is a sweet, slow-burning, second-chance romance that takes us into the life of the hardworking, Rennie Wallace who at first glance seems to have it all, a successful career and a handsome fiance, but when events send her back to the small town of Cape Harbor, Washington for the first time in fifteen years, and she comes face-to-face with Graham Chamberlain her on-again, off-again friend and lover from college timing may once again become everything.

The prose is heartfelt and genuine. The characters are supportive, compassionate, and kind. And the plot is an uplifting mix of relationship dynamics, introspection, communication, heartbreak, trust, family, friendship, community, and unconditional love.

Overall, Until Then is a charming, authentic, tender addition to the Cape Harbor series by McLaughlin that definitely has the perfect amount of hope, heart, and humour to keep me yearning for more.

Thank you to Amazon Publishing for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Anne OK.
3,399 reviews437 followers
May 25, 2021
This one started off very slowly and took some time to settle into. Once it started moving, this beautiful second chance romance was captivating and sometimes frustrating. Both Rennie and Graham are marvelous characters. Once upon a time in college they gave it a go as more than friends. The time just wasn't right and too much happened leading them in different directions.

Fifteen years later, a woman walks into a bar and a very handsome bartender knows it's now or never. (Well, not exactly like that, but I can't give away spoilers, but you get the gist.) There's drama and angst enough to break your heart. Family and friendship play an important role in this story as well and not all of it is a good thing.

I can tell you this -- these two deserve some happiness. Life has dealt them both some rocky times. Sorrows have been abundant and the losses heartbreaking. My heart was near bursting with my feelings for Graham and his deeply heart-warming and steadfast love for Rennie was stronger than everything else.

Love isn't easy and the pathway to happily-ever-after was filled with obstacles. For Graham and Rennie, it was well-worth the wait -- for readers, too!
223 reviews5 followers
August 19, 2020
I’m a little on the fence in recommending this book.

This book is the second in the Cape Harbor series. Because I wasn’t familiar with the first book (After All), I decided to read it before embarking on Until Then. I’m very glad I did because, while this book could serve as a stand-alone novel, I think many nuances would be missed without the in-depth background and character development of the first.

It all began with the tragic death of Austin Woods, a young commercial fisherman, who set out with his business partner in the midst of a storm. Only one man came back – Grady Holmes. The impact of Austin’s death rippled through not only his family and close friends, but through the entire town. It consequently disrupted life-long friendships and led Grady into a downward spiral of alcohol and drug addiction.

Until Then focuses on the career and love life of Rennie Wallace, a high-powered attorney engaged to a successful businessman. However good things appear on the surface, Rennie feels unfulfilled on some level and returns to visit Cape Harbor fifteen years after Austin’s death. Almost immediately, she crosses paths with Graham Holmes (Grady’s identical twin brother) who gave up his budding career to return home to care for his traumatized brother. The story unfolds as Rennie’s conflicting feelings about her fiancé meet the reawakening of her dormant attraction to Graham.

The exploration of the many manifestations of unresolved grief is quite good, including guilt, anger, withdrawal, isolation and dependency. The family dynamics of dealing with an addict is particularly heart-wrenching as lives are put on hold with good intentions, only to result in enabling the addict to fall deeper into the abyss.

My ambivalence in recommending these books stems from the amount of repetition and emotional angst the characters experience. The literary style relies heavily on flashbacks, moving back and forth between the present and the characters’ relationships forged in their teens/early twenties. I felt it wasn’t necessary to play out the past in such detail; rather than describing past events as if they were happening in real time, I would have preferred a brief summary in most instances. For me the extensive use of flashbacks made the novel feel overly drawn out.

My thanks to the author, Montlake Romance and NetGalley for providing the opportunity to review a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Freya Barker.
Author 68 books1,660 followers
Read
February 4, 2021
Heidi McLaughlin once again treats us to great writing and vivid imagery of coastal New England in this gorgeously seductive, second-chance romance.
In Until Then you can feel the strong sense of community in Cape Harbor’s colorful residents, and the electric connection between Graham and Rennie.
Profile Image for Kari Hansen.
8,737 reviews49 followers
February 3, 2021
On the surface Rennie appears to be living the life she also dreamed of both personally and professionally but all it takes is a trip back to Cape Harbor and seeing Graham again to have her second guessing her life and her future.

It’s been years since Graham saw his best friend Rennie and the chemistry and connection between them hasn’t diminished. They never got the opportunity to see what could have been as when tragedy struck his family he didn’t hesitate to put his dreams aside to be return home and be there for them.

Graham is a loyal friend, close to his family and a great guy while Rennie’s support of him and his family show why they have always belonged together and now they just need to realize it as well. Their journey takes us on an emotional ride but the ending makes it all worthwhile.
Profile Image for Nicki - The Overflowing Bookcase .
3,486 reviews151 followers
September 24, 2020
Everyone has that special person in their life that they wished they could have had more with. The would of, should have but didn't is a regret that surrounds the friendship of Rennie and Graham. Their connection lasted through time but neither one of them told the other of their true feelings, but when a chance encounter happens and Graham leans on Rennie to get through a family crisis the flood gates instantly open and the future is theirs for the taking. Will Rennie admit to Graham and to herself that true love really does happen? Will Graham once again put his family first above the one thing he truly wants in life? With high emotion at every turn of the page this was an awesome book. Family dynamics are put to the test and the reader gets more insight into Grady's past as well. The reader will instantly fall in love with Cape Harbor.
Profile Image for Pennie Morgan.
1,980 reviews7 followers
March 24, 2021
Oh my goodness, I was waiting for this one since I read the first Cape Harbor book. Rennie came back to Cape Harbor after being gone for 15 years and ran into Graham. He was her best friend in high school and college and her first for so much but they drifted apart. He didn't realize she was so close in Seattle. Rennie is a lawyer and seemingly has it all but what she really wants is true love. Graham has his home and business but no love and he really just wants Rennie. Could this be their time? This was a great second chance/opposites attract and all around cozy story. I did shed a few tears for them at one point but glad they figured it out. Definitely recommend this one!
Profile Image for Isha Coleman.
6,789 reviews131 followers
January 30, 2021
McLaughlin knows how to put a person in touch with their emotions. Until Then breathes feeling from practically the very first page. For Graham and Rennie, their journey is a battle of heartaching choices that seem to have a life all their own. At a crossroads both are finding their way in a turbulent world, even as they are losing their hearts. Hidden within the tough choices is a world of wisdom that is relevant and thoughtful. An insightful look at the world that touches the mind and heart.
Profile Image for Pam Brooks.
423 reviews1 follower
March 15, 2021
Another Delight

Down to earth, compelling characters, believable story lines, and a great read to curl up with! That is what author Heidi McLaughlin continues to deliver in her latest series. I love how this group of friends continue to find their way and fight for their happiness. Until Then was such a joy, and I can't wait to see what comes next.
Profile Image for Deborah A Beese.
17 reviews
April 15, 2021
As good as the first book

I loved that the author continued the story from the first book. Same characters but with the focus on some she had told about only briefly in the first book.
Easy to read. Great flow.
Profile Image for A Klue.
1,497 reviews298 followers
February 7, 2021
The cover and synopsis by this new to me author intrigued me, folks, but I soon found myself turned off by the main couple set up scenario. For me personally, I have a hard time rooting for them knowing they each are in a relationship with other people and over the years still remained  friends with occasional smex benefits between breakups. No wonder Graham's current girlfriend has jealousy issues when Rennie's name is mentioned. He clearly has been and still is in love with Rennie and other women are going to always be second best. I find it cowardly for him to have hidden his feelings for so long. I don't understand why the synopsis says he's her lost love because that wasn't my interpretation, at least from the point my several attempts at reading finally had me throwing in the towel. You see, I also wasn't wild about the writing style itself. Mechanical in parts and too many flashbacks regarding the past stole time from the here and now.

I wish this author continued writing success and hope others enjoyed this book. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Title: Until Then, Series: Cape Harbor (Book 2), Author: Heidi McLaughlin, Pages:343, pub date: 2/2/21, standalone but part of series, new to me author.

Book 1 - After All (Brooklyn & Bowie)
Book 2 - Until Then (Rennie & Graham)

(I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not given any payment or compensation for this review. There is no affiliation or relationship between this reviewer and the author/publisher/or any PR firm.)
Profile Image for Darcy.
12.1k reviews416 followers
February 17, 2021
I'm so so on this one. I think because Rennie and Graham drove me nuts, both interested in each other from the start, but too scared to say anything. Then forced to watch other in different relationships. They wasted 20 years. Even towards the end it seemed like they were going to screw things up.

I hated that Rennie found out she was the other woman with Theo, was glad that she dropped him like a hot potato and her frank talk with with the wife. I really felt sorry for her, because you have to wonder how many other times he cheated on her through out their marriage. And what a POS to take Rennie to the place he honeymooned with his wife.

I liked that Rennie stood up for Grady and have to say that that part of the story line went better than I thought. I thought we might find out he killed a person and that he would immediately relaspe, instead I get the feeling he will be ok.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for BookishJibberJabber.
426 reviews5 followers
August 15, 2020
When I read the synopsis for Unit then:

I just wanted to read it. But after reading it, I had different opinion. Not about reading it, but about synopsis.
It doesn't go exactly like it is described.
A lot of things are going on in this book. So I am lacking romance. There isn't a connection between Rennie and Graham. We can see a tiny portion of their history. But nothing really in te present.
This is not an easy breeze romance book.
It deals with addiction, death, affair.
... From me 3 stars.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Joan.
750 reviews31 followers
November 23, 2020
Rennie Wallace has known Graham Chamberlain forever and had even hooked up with him in her past days of being young, needy and single, but as the story starts she is now a successful lawyer. She has a long term boyfriend, also a successful professional. They live miles away from each other, but their relationship is strong and they meet up regularly. They are in love and expect to become man and wife in the future. Their romance is all the more special and according to the old adage, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
One day she returns to her family home Cape Harbour to see her friend Brooklyn and runs in to her once best friend Graham Chamberlain. The fizz of attraction surprises her and she cannot deny she has missed him since she last saw him fifteen years ago. He was always her bestie and my goodness; he is still so handsome in a casual, rugged way. She is quite surprised at her pounding heartbeat and feels it is strange considering she is in a committed relationship. Still they did have a passionate time as teens. Her fond old memories are triggered and she must bury them. It’s just too late for them.
They went their own ways when they both left California, both carving out a career and a different dynamic. Rennie is a hot-shot professional and Graham returned to his family in Cape Harbour after a tragic accident. In fact he sacrificed his promising new, independent life and Rennie as well. His twin brother Grady’s best friend, local fisherman Austin, was missing at sea after an evening out with Grady, who survived the accident. Grady was consumed by grief with survivors guilt and became an addict, both an alcoholic and drug taker. Graham had returned to his family to help his brother through his trauma and become his wingman. He managed the pub/restaurant called The Whale Spout, the family business, for his Dad and was therefore able to support his brother.
With both Rennie and Graham feeling the loss of their separation, will they try to reignite a second chance romance or is it too late for them. This is their story.
This is the second book in the Cape Harbour series but I read it as a standalone novel with no difficulty at all. Each character’s story is told in their own story thread. I really enjoyed this book and would without hesitation recommend it as a very good read. I loved the character of Graham best of all. He is family orientated, unselfish, compassionate and a total gentleman. He is sensible, thoughtful and full of love for his twin Grady. The story is beautifully written and well-paced. Heidi McLaughlin is a very skilled and fluent storyteller, creating and writing superb scenes, brilliantly described and so vivid that I felt as though I was there, an observer and linked to the characters. I also liked the way the story ended, poetic justice being served. I thought the story itself was very strong and it immediately absorbed all of my attention. I loved the tender romances as well.
I received this book through my membership of NetGalley and from publisher Montlake in return for an honest review. Thank you sincerely for my copy. I recommend this as a lovely, classy romantic read about family matters, perfect to warm your heart and fill you with nostalgia for the past 4.5*.
Profile Image for Just Love books.
554 reviews13 followers
February 6, 2021
~3.5⭐Rating~

"We’re so much stronger now than we would’ve been. We needed to grow up, be stupid, and find our way back to each other. I love you, Graham Cracker.”

Rennie has everything going for her but she cant help but feel like there is something missing, which is what leads her back to her family home in Cape Harbor. But with being home comes it's own set of drama, with old feelings and flash backs Rennie has to wonder if the fast paced life is really what he wanted.

Graham has given up all his dreams of adventure and mystery to come home and help take care of his alcoholic brother and help run the family business. But small town life is beginning to get to Graham, so when his old flame Rennie comes back into town old feelings begin to resurface and both Graham and Rennie begin to question if what they had is expected what has been missing in the lives all this time.

"I want you in my future. I want to date you. I want to take you places, spend every minute we can together. I want to wake up in your arms on Sunday morning and read the paper together. I want to call my mom and tell her I’m bringing my girlfriend over for family dinner. I want to show up at your house in the middle of a rainstorm just so we can dance together outside.”

Until Then is a slow burn second chance small town romance. Both main characters have had their fair share of ups and downs. I have to say Graham stole the show for me, I loved his caring and compassionate nature and that he was so selfless in coming back home to help out. I absolutely loved the way in which he interacted with Grady his twin brother.

This is definitely a book filled with angst but also with a strong message of family coming together to help each other. If slow burn angstfull reads are your thing then Until Then is definitely the book for you.
Profile Image for Julie.
1,357 reviews27 followers
January 23, 2022
With the tendrils of an on-again, off-again romance brewing, Rennie and Graham have been involved romantically since high school. The duo engaged in a sort of friends with benefits relationship throughout high school and college. Then a tragedy changed the path of both of their lives. Fifteen years passed since that tragic accident and the duo lost touch with one another.

The siren’s call of Cape Harbor is ringing for Rennie. Her best friend has moved back and now Rennie finds herself crossing paths once more with Graham. Rennie has a life back in Seattle as a successful divorce attorney. Graham is running the family business, a family bar, in Cape Harbor. When the former friends meet again, the sparks ignite once more. However – life is a bit more complicated these days. Rennie has a boyfriend in Seattle, and Graham is entangled in family drama that is consuming his life. The spark that once fueled their attraction burns brighter with each interaction. Will the duo find a way to rekindle the romance they once shared?

Until Then is the second book in the Cape Harbor series by Heidi McLaughlin. After reading the first book, I couldn’t wait to dive into the next. My excitement was soon thwarted by the slow pace of this story. I found myself struggling to enjoy Rennie and Graham’s story. Their interactions felt more like I was reading a teenaged romance than following a pair in their thirties. The plot didn’t quite pack the punch I was expecting from a book by this author. While I say that, the couple did pull me in at the end. The journey to get there though was a bit rough. This novel is a super-slow burn romance. Go into reading the book with that thought in mind.
Profile Image for E-Reader Addict.
991 reviews35 followers
February 24, 2021
I wasn’t sure how this story would fare with me after the first book in this series (After All) was a hot mess (both with the storytelling technique utilized and the characters/storyline). Thankfully, Until Then didn’t have the same problems as the first book in the series. It had its own…

Rennie Wallace and Graham Chamberlain had an on-again, off-again friends with benefits relationship from high school until college. But after Graham’s twin brother was involved in a boating accident that resulted in the death of one of their friends, they lost touch and didn’t talk for 15 years.

Now in their mid 30s, Rennie is a successful divorce lawyer in Seattle and Graham runs the family bar a couple hours north in a small upstate Washington coastal town. With Rennie’s best friend moving back to Cape Harbour, she’s now spending more time there and is back in Graham’s orbit. And it turns out the chemistry between them hasn’t died. Not that they can pick back up where they left off...Rennie has a boyfriend and a life in Seattle and Graham’s family life is a big, fat mess.

The thing that kept me from really enjoying this story is that for two people in their 30s, they had the communication skills of teenagers. They could have found their way to a happily ever after so much sooner had they just had some honest conversations with each other. It’s always frustrating to me when characters who have a second chance with each other continue to repeat the mistakes they made when younger. This self-inflicted angst wasn’t even necessary - between Graham’s family dealing with his drunk twin and Rennie’s situation at work (as well as the boyfriend who added just the right amount of drama), there was plenty of meat to this story. However, I found the non-relationship storylines more compelling than what was going on with Rennie and Graham which is not what I’m wanting for a story that’s supposed to be a second-chance romance!

I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first book in this series, which gives me a lot of hope for any remaining books that might come about the Cape Harbour residents. I wasn’t so sure if Ms. McLaughin’s Cape Harbour series was going to interest me, but after finishing Until Then, I can say a resounding YES, I want to read more of these books!

* thank you to NetGalley and Montlake for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for AnneKR.
862 reviews22 followers
February 3, 2021
Though Graham and Rennie have been friends forever with benefits, they've never been able to commit to each other exclusively. Whenever one was finally ready to confess their feelings, the other was involved with someone else. After a tragedy occurs back at their hometown, it will take fifteen years for Graham and Rennie to see each other again. Time has made them into different people than who they were in college. Their dreams took different paths but ultimately these paths led them back to each other. But obstacles and baggage keep getting in their way, to the point where Graham makes the decision to remain friends only. Will Rennie be able to show Graham they can be something more if they both are all in?

I love how selfless Graham is to put aside his dreams and future to move back home and help out his family. Rennie has achieved her dream to make it big in the corporate world as a divorce lawyer, but her accomplishments can't hide that she is still unmarried and has no children. With Graham not wanting to burden his family baggage on anyone, he's resorted to living a solitude life on his houseboat and working at the family bar. They both have past issues with each other that have never been resolved due to lack of communication. They will need to put in equal effort to find their happiness. Looking forward to the next book in the series!

Thank you Netgalley and Montlake for the opportunity to read this book.
Profile Image for Carolyn.
914 reviews
September 1, 2020
Until Then gives us Graham and Rennie's story. While reading the first book in this series, After All, is not a must, please do so you will understand the true struggles, trials and tribulations of this great case of characters from Cape Harbor. The basis of the series is a small group of friends, their amazing bond as youth, the terrible tragedy that tore them apart, and then each couple's journey to healing and HOPEFULLY the series will end with the gang healed.

It's heartbreaking to read the struggle of Graham's twin brother, Grady, and feels so raw and emotional the toll it takes on everyone. Graham's entire life's course was rerouted due to Grady's choices so for him to be so devoted to his care and recovery is commendable.

Rennie always wanted the high power job, but now that she has it she isn't happy with her life's path. She goes through a tremendous journey with a boyfriend that plants her right back in Cape Harbor.

I like Graham and Rennie together. This book is written in such away that alludes to their inevitable coming together, but the journey is hard, and may not be able to be finished after all.

I enjoyed the story very much. I didn't love this one as much as After All, but still recommend. I felt this book relied too heavily on past conversations and memories and too detailed on mundane things.
Profile Image for Terry.
1,086 reviews
January 18, 2021
4 1/2 Stars for this emotional read that will break your heart.

Rennie and Graham's story is just so sad. Even though they had a strong connection since they were teenagers, neither one of them were ready at same time for a long-term relationship. Now 15 years later, when Rennie helps Graham's family, they still have that same undeniable connection. Will they be able to let go of the past and make a future together?

I know that addicts can consume the whole family, but Graham put his life on hold for 15 years to try and help his twin brother ... just WOW! I love how Rennie just jumped in to help Graham's family without any regards to how this could affect her career ... because her career was her life.

If you haven't read the first book "After All", you should go back and read it so that you can get the full effect of this book. Both books center around an incident when a group of friends were in their early twenties and I assume any future books in this series will do the same, as there are still so many stories to tell. Grady's story for sure and you know, they never did find Austin's body ... so maybe there is even a story there. I couldn't put this book down and I can't wait for the next book in this series.

I received an early copy courtesy of Montlake through NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.
Profile Image for Night Runner.
1,330 reviews26 followers

Narrator Rating(s)
M = n/a
F = 10/10
If below 5/10,why?

Was cheating involved? Yes and No - worth reading!
Any major triggers to be aware of? Drug/alcohol abuse

If Comedy... Type? n/a

Clean or Fade to Black - 1 or 2
Normal to Descriptive 3-5
Detailed Descriptive Sex - 6-7
Um, Wow, Beyond Descriptive Sex - 8 or above

The back story... Star-crossed since their teens, the H&h keep coming back to each other. The H is running the family bar and watching out for his spiraling twin brother. The h, a junior partner in a law firm, comes to help the problem brother.

The Romance... Starts to rebuild about the middle of the story.

The drama explosion... The h's ex creates drama
Did it feel Real, OK or contrived? Real
Was it OTT? Yes
Separation involved? Sort of
Was it resolved properly or rushed? Properly

Final Notes... Very good Story with imperfect characters... I rather enjoyed that!

HEA or HFN? HEA
845 reviews
January 24, 2021
The second book in the Cape Harbor series, this book begins with the death of Austin Woods, a fisherman. When only Grady Holmes returns from a fishing trip after a storm, the impact of Austin’s death impacts the whole town. As a consequence, Grady finds himself impacted by an addiction to alcohol and drugs. When Rennie Wallace visits Cape Harbor, fifteen years after Austin’s death, she meets up with Graham Holmes, the brother of Grady. Soon her feelings for Graham disrupt her plans with her fiancée.
Unresolved grief and the impact on all those involved, are central to this storyline. Feelings of anger and dependency are intertwined. The impact of drug addiction and the isolation held by Graham is evident, with the impact on families, central to this book. I found this aspect quite emotionally charged and heart-wrenching.
I enjoyed this book but found that the repetitive nature of flicking between past and present, to tell the story, slightly detracting. There was sufficient depth and maturity to this story without the excessive use of returning to the past, in flashbacks.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Susan.
638 reviews11 followers
May 4, 2021
Memories Rewound

The real struggles in this book were so refreshing real people with real problems to face and figure out. Dennis Wallace and Graham Chamberlain had been teenage friends and sweethearts of a sort, but fifteen years later, they were renewed friends feeling a sharp tug of some sort. When Graham’s twin Grady ends up in the ICU at death’s door from too much drinking and a drug overdose, Rennie steps in with moral support for Graham and legal support for Grady.

Rennie’s cases at her law firm in Seattle provide plenty of side-story interest and give the reader some righteous indignation to enjoy. Her love story with Theo is enough to make you want to cut his “thang” right off!

But the friendships and the family struggles and support are the backbone of this book, along with the setting of the shores of northwest Washington. Much of the story takes place on boats, and the author is skilled at conveying the feeling of the roll of the deck and the saltwater scent in the breeze as two lost people work to find each other.
Profile Image for Julie Booklover.
938 reviews19 followers
October 4, 2020

Until Then is the second book in the Cape Harbor Series. While it stands alone easily, I would recommend reading then in order. Most of the turmoil swirls around an event, and we are seeing how the characters’ lives are touched by it in each book. We are now getting Graham’s story; through flashbacks we get a lot of history, some of it is repetitive. There is quite a bit going on, but it works. We have a second chance with Rennie, the addiction of his brother, the growth of Graham as he moves to better himself. Rennie has a lot going on as well, she is questioning her relationships, her happiness and where to go from here. I had a hard time putting this book down and read it in one day. As there are still questions to be answered, will there be another book, who will the next story feature?

Thank you to NetGalley and Montlake for the advanced copy for my honest review.
Profile Image for Sarah Nickles.
126 reviews3 followers
September 21, 2020
Until Then is Graham and Rennie's story. Their second chance at getting their love for each other right.  Fighting what they thought were impossibilities.  Working as a team to protect their loved ones all while building a stronger foundation for their love.

Until Then is the 2nd book in the Cape Harbor series. It can be read as a stand alone but I highly recommend you read After All first.  After All introduces you to Cape Harbor, the town's tragedy,  the tight knit group of friends & the charming businesses make Cape Harbor the ocean town everyone wants to live in.

As in all of Heidi's books she does an amazing job writing her characters both primary and secondary.  She brings them to life in between the pages and her words pull you in and make you feel all the feelings her characters are experiencing.
273 reviews7 followers
October 25, 2020
I absolutely love everything that Heidi McLaughlin writes. Until Then is the second book in her Cape Harbor series. This book tells the story of Graham and Rennie who have been friends for ever.

Graham and Rennie have known each other for many years. They had a brief relationship and then became friends with benefits. They eventually went their separate ways and found new long term relationships. Graham's family issues caused his relationship to end and brought Rennie back into his life. Old feelings started coming to the surface the more time they spent together. Will these two finally get the happily ever after they deserve?

I loved the connection between Graham and Rennie. The secondary characters added lots of depth to the storyline. I can't wait to see what Heidi is working on next!
Profile Image for Sharon.
1,574 reviews13 followers
October 26, 2020
What a heartwarming story about sacrificing your future for the good of your family! 5+ stars for this one! It is a must read!
Here we have Graham's story. He left behind his life in California, to head back home to Cape Harbor to help his brother heal, and his family cope. He's running his families bar now, his brother is still a mess, and he's wondering if it was all worth what he left behind.
Rennie is happy, she's got a great boyfriend, great job, but because of her and her boyfriend's jobs they don't get to spend much time together. While she's back in Cape Harbor, her friend Graham needs her, and she runs straight to help him and his family. They both miss the way things used to be, but she's in a committed relationship now.
Can these two keep their distance and still be the best friends they were back in the day? Read this book and find out!
Profile Image for Krista Ricchi.
780 reviews11 followers
February 1, 2021
Heartbreaking!! We all need a book that can give us all the feels. I love when an author gives you an emotional book that draws you into their world and shatters all your views on mushy happy endings. Life is hard and love can be even harder. Without the broken pieces you can never experience true love. Love for yourself and for others. That is what you get from this book. Raw experiences, flash backs, and daily struggles make these characters more real. I loved this book so much and I can't wait for the next one. Heidi has an incredible talent. Yes she can write the mushy love story but I love her more for her soul crushing, heart shattering books. Her writing is addicting and I can't ever put her books down. If you want a romance that is more on the side of heartbreak this is one book you need to read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 149 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.