Start by marking “Cut Short” as Want to Read:
Cut Short

Cut Short

(Washington Poe #3.5)

Three short stories featuring Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw.

In The Killing Field, Poe and Tilly are having breakfast, wondering how to spend the rest of their holiday, when their presence is requested at a Cumbrian airfield. An airfield that, during the 2001 foot and mouth crisis, was known as the killing field . . .

In Why Don’t Sheep Shrink?, a global pandemic forces
Kindle Edition
Published September 3rd 2020 (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Cut Short, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cut Short

Start your review of Cut Short
Matt
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Always one for more Washington Poe, I turned to this collection of three short stories. Poe and his friend, Tilly Bradshaw , find themselves in three short adventures, each with their own forensic element. Poe is keen to dole out what knowledge he has, though Tilly is no wilting violet. A perfect collection to be paired with a hot drink or to read while out in the sun. Recommended to those who have an affinity for this crime duo, who are always bantering in Cumbria.

The Killing Field

While Poe and
The Cats’ Mother
Cut Short is a collection of three short stories featuring Craven’s fabulous Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw. Officially they are set after The Curator (book 3) but they don’t spoil any of the main books so can be read anytime - including as an introduction to the series.
The whole thing took less than 45 minutes to read but was still totally worth it. Each story is set in Cumbria and concerns a cold case that Poe has been involved in.

The Killing Fields is about the discovery of two skeletons i
Bill Lynas
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M W Craven's marvellous creations, detective Washington Poe & analyst Tilly Bradshaw, return in three superb new short stories.
There's great plotting & wonderful characters as always, as well as sadness & humour in equal measure. An absolute joy.
Lisa
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one arrived at just the right moment. I was having an awful day but then Poe and Tilly swooped in and made everything better. Three short stories involving the kind of gruesome and devious crimes we know from the Washington Poe series. My favourite has to be the one where Poe is diagnosed with a certain virus and has to self isolate with Tilly and they still manage to solve a seemingly uncrackable case. I only wish there was more!
Kath
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having devoured every book of this series the second I got my mitts on them, leaving the intervening time feeling a bit bereft, I was dead excited when I saw that there was a collection of shorts in the offing. Just the thing to pass a pleasant afternoon in the sun, on the hammock, ignoring the cat and the urban fox eyeing each other up!
So... I don't really read shorts. Not my bag. Unless they are spin offs from series I enjoy. As in this case. Actually... I'd probably read this author's shoppin
Kath Middleton
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These three short stories are really good. Washington Poe and Matilda Bradshaw work Major Crimes but here they are thrown together in time off. They can’t help but seek and solve puzzles. Poe is a gifted detective with a warm understanding of human nature, and Tilly is a brilliant mathematician and IT whizz who understands the esoteric far more readily than she does her colleagues. She’s painfully literal which adds to the humour and camaraderie between the two.
If you’re a fan, this is a great
Helen Carolan
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little short read. All cases covered are cold cases and as you'd expect from short stories it lacks the punch of a full novel. However the aim of these stories is not shock and horror but to show-case the releationship between Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw and that we certainly get. Both are seen by the rest of society as somewhat eccentric and miss-fit but the wonderful thing is they get each other and for both that's more than enough. Loved this one.
David Gilchrist
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved these three short stories,,Plenty of humour, expected from these two characters..some dark and gruesome sections again suspected from this author..the third story shows the authors skills to the full,,you will be reaching for the tissues with this one.
Rachel
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime, 2020
An excellent collection of stories. Pure Poe/Bradshaw brilliance!
Jude Wright
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has the worst ever death described in a book! I literally gagged and am still.gagging 24 hours later! Scarred for life! A must read!! Brilliant!!!! ❤
Michelle Kelly
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Mike Craven’s Washington Poe series, so of course I had to pre-order Cut Short!  The book comprises of three short stories, The Killing Field, Why Don’t Sheep Shrink? And Dead Man’s Fingers.

This is another work of genius by Craven as the three books highlight three different aspects to our lovable Washington Poe!  The Killing Field, whereby two bodies are found and a link to the 2001 outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease, shows off Poe’s undeniable knowledge of Cumbria and his ab
Iqra M.
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm still waiting for my copy of 'The Curator' - Washington Poe Book 3 to arrive from Bookdepository.
After finishing Black Summer a couple of months ago, I wanted more from the author!
I was pleased when I saw he released and compiled THREE Poe & Tilly-centred short stories. I love all of the stories and obviously, both of the characters. ;)
Cut short was incredibly fast-paced and enjoyable!

I want more.
brian morris
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Could be a story of me. Without the Drama

A funny and whimsical, insight into the very sad period of cumbrian history during the foot and mouth period linking it with the current pandemic was a great idea. AND I just love tilly. Poe is just a grumpy git and reminds me of me as it happens love nothing more than being out in the barren landscape and ending the day with a pie and a pint.
Jamie Bowen
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, mw-craven
The Poe and Tilly stories continue, this is a collection of 3 short stories which are excellent. Two set during the COVID-19 pandemic but all interlinked and telling the story of Cumbria. The partnership of Poe and Tilly is brilliant, two great characters, completely different and nowhere near compatible as friends but they make a great team, Poe with his intuition and Tilly with her genius. We even get more of Edgar in these stories.
Samantha Nicol
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pre-ordered in July, delivered to my kindle yesterday and read the same day! 3 fantastic short stories from Mr Craven with the delightful Poe & Tilly (not forgetting Edgar 🐾) a nice treat to shorten the wait for book 4 next year! Humour, genius and kindness all shine through these short stories if you haven’t tried the books of MW Craven you are missing out!! ...more
Karen
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very happy to be back in Poe and Tilly world, if only for a short time!
If you loved the previous books, you will love these 3 excellent short stories.
The main thing I took from them though, we need more Edgar 🐶
Brian Moore
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant short stories.

Highly recommended as Poe and Bradshaw continue to be two of the best characters in modern literature. A good introduction to them if you are new to this pair and I guarantee you’ll be reading the full blown books before long.
Jo Barton
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I devour every thing this talented author writes and Cut Short was every bit as good as I knew it would be. Clever, witty , beautifully executed, everything I ever wanted from 3 short stories. Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw at their short, sweet best.
More please !
Tonia
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This 64 page book includes three short stories about Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw. Two of the stories are set during Covid lock down. Reading the book was like sitting down with a small box of chocolates. Delicious!
Teresa
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Top notch writer

Three fantastic stories from the master. At times evil but it's the wit that stops me dead. Would have paid more for these beauties.
Leila Benhamida
Always a pleasure to read M. W. Craven books

Love reading the stories about Tilly and Poe. They are so different and make such a good team. Great humour added to it.
Steve Fenton
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew I'd devour this in one hit on the day it landed. Three neat intrigues with Tilly and Washington providing charming characters to hang these brief crime shorts on. Highly enjoyable.
Shauna Whall
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely short bursts
Christine Elliott
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read.
Caroline
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Totally great short stories featuring lockdown and foot and mouth. Tilly, Poe and Edgar are all as fab as you would expect
Nancy De Brucker
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Amazing how he can create such short stories with a lot of content in it! and informative too
Loved it!
Elizabeth Davies
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want more..... much, much more! I absolutely love Poe and Bradshaw.
Adrienne
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Tilly and Poe, what a great fit they are. Their banter and crime solving skills make great reading,
For a "non-fan" of short stories, I sure enjoyed this trio.
Mandy
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love these, just as good as the full length stories and can't wait until the next book it out now.
Paula Marshall
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this in less than a day. I do like the characters Tilly and Poe together. Wish the book was a bit more longer.

• The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • A Death Most Monumental (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #8)
  • Born in a Burial Gown (DI Avison Fluke #1)
  • Body Breaker (DI Avison Fluke #2)
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • Slow Slicing (DI Bliss #7)
  • The Big Man Upstairs (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #7)
  • A Song for the Dark Times (Inspector Rebus)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • The Postscript Murders (Harbinder Kaur #2)
  • Written in Blood (Robert Hunter, #11)
  • All Fall Down (Helen Grace, #9)
  • The Killings at Kingfisher Hill (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #4)
  • Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
  • The Resident
  • Endless Silent Scream (DI Bliss, #6)
M. W. Craven was born in Carlisle but grew up in Newcastle, running away to join the army at the tender age of sixteen. He spent the next ten years travelling the world having fun, leaving in 1995 to complete a degree in social work with specialisms in criminology and substance misuse. Thirty-one years after leaving Cumbria, he returned to take up a probation officer position in Whitehaven, eventu ...more

Washington Poe (5 books)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • Dead Ground (Washington Poe, #4)