Start by marking “in a Dark Purple” as Want to Read:
in a Dark Purple

in a Dark Purple

San's husband suffered from a severe headache. The ambulance came and picked him up, but things started to appear strange ever since. San couldn't find her husband. She went to the hospital's emergency service to find out about her husband's condition, but her request was somehow denied. No information was given. Instead, San was maltreated because of her language limitati ...more
ebook
Published July 2020 by Marisa Thalib, M. Tiyasaa Selfpublisher

To ask other readers questions about in a Dark Purple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about in a Dark Purple

Start your review of in a Dark Purple
Cody Christopulos
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
San Guenal was a teenager in Jakarta during the 1998 riots that hit her city and country. After a harrowing experience of assault days before the riots broke out, San is determined to leave Indonesia.

Years later, an unlikely online encounter blossoms into a cross cultural love story. After a short online courtship, San moves to France to begin a new life with her husband Oli. Though San struggles with a bit of culture shock, her life with Oli and their infant son Alexandre is flourishing. Until
Rdas
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a page-turner. The narrative helps greatly to relate to San and the emotions and series of events are neatly explained .
Nur Reti Jiwani
This book is on English, but my review written in Bahasa Indonesia.

Apakah kamu penonton setia cerita Harry Potter?

Oh, bukan, buku ini sama sekali tidak berkaitan dengan dunia sihir seperti Harry Potter, tapi setidaknya kalau kamu familiar dengan Harry Potter, kamu pasti juga familiar dengan makhluk bernama Dementor. Nah, dementor ini dalam film dan buku Harpot punya kemampuan 'menghisap kebahagiaan'. Bikin korbannya seolah kehilangan semua memori indah, sesak, depresi dan penuh kesedihan. Singka
Yonea Bakla
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
"If you can't be happy now, don’t think that you might have a chance to catch your train of happiness tomorrow." (Page 328)

I just finished reading In a Dark Purple by @mtiyasaa last night. What a heart-breaking and breath-taking story! 🤧💔

At the begining, I feel like meet someone called San. She tells about how she lives in France since 2006.

San met Oli in skype chat room in 2005. San is Indonesian and Oli is Frenchman. After a few months, Oli suprise San with his visit to Jakarta and marriage pr
Katrin Spunkt
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was written by my friend Marisa, but I'll try to write an honest review nonetheless.

The story is written using a very clear language and short sentences, so it was easy to read. It also uses some French phrases and sentences, a language I don't know, which probably makes Sans experience (for me) more relatable. Language barrier is a huge issue in this book and it's outrageous! However, I'm fairly sure this is not limited to France, but could very well imagine this happening in Germany
Irsalina Suprapto
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book after living for 11 years in France as a foreigner, I could relate so much on all aspects surrounding San’s struggle. Not that I’ve ever experienced anything close to her hardship, but the sarcasm, a bit of rudeness here and there and the lack of empathy were so familiar to me. Instead of shocked, why am I not even surprised that these could happen. But we could then learn a lot from the way she fought, listened to people, took advice and acted upon it.

The plot of the story is
Greiner Aurore
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've got this book this morning. And I read it in a row
The story is sad and terrible but well written! The fact that this story take place in France, that those behaviors against strangers, or sick people stills happen in this country make me feels ashamed.
The way San have to face this situation, the way she handle it, her feelings.. . Everythings feels like she is telling you personally her story around a conforting drink. I think this is the power of this book : you never take it lightly, lik
Inma
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story, beautifully written.
It is hard sometimes, because the story is a difficult one, but you can't just put the book down. Sometimes you want to scream, sometimes you want to cry and sometimes just a smile pops up on your lips.
I love the main character, her strength and her will. The book has a great rhythm combining what would be San's past and present as the whole that it is, as indivisible. Really liked it.
Must add that, as a nurse myself I was outrage by the treatment they get
Izumi
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I started to read this book and couldn't stop until the end.

The story of San is incredible although I felt my heart ache as I continued to read. Having lived in foreign countries myself I understand the frustration that she went through, not fully understanding the system or the language, being treated badly or rudely just because I don't talk the language perfectly.

It is amazing that San listens to her voice in her dream as she knows it's right, even if others like her doctor doesn't agree.

It
Rizki
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read book! It tells an incredible true story about San’s life struggles in a foreign land. The turn of events in the book is mind-blowing, totally kept me on edge. I had a hard time putting it down once i started reading.
Sahnaz
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this memoir felt like sitting in a room and sipping a cup of coffee with the woman herself, San Guenal. She lost her husband to a maltreated brain haemorrhage due to the hospital’s neglect, which started as a headache quickly turned San into a single mother with a baby son, Alex. The story started as we retraced San’s first meeting with Oli through Skype in 2005. San is a Chinese-Indonesian woman who, for specific reasons, vowed to move out of the country. Oli, who was still a Law studen ...more
Nery Yunda
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Buku ini adalah -kisah- mengharu -biru -yang -ditulis - dengan- penuh- ketegaran.

Itu adalah kesan saya setelah membaca in a Dark Purple. Dengan gaya khas Mtiaasa yang mampu bertutur secara lembut tapi dengan maksud yang kuat. Lagi-lagi secara halus pembaca akan dibawa menuju episode kehidupan San yang ternyata -a series of unfortunate events- menangis lah saya dengan tanpa henti.

Rasa gelisah, kepanikan, tapi ada juga keteguhan hati yang dialami San terpancar sedemikian kuatnya lewat buku ini se
Andiza
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rachel Leow
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book starts out a little slow but it quickly picks up after the initial two chapters. As the author unfolds San’s story, she expertly crafted an asynchronous timeline that contrasts joy and grief, adding emotional intensity to the tragedy.

Overall I think the author has great book writing skills but it is obvious that she is not an English native speaker. There were grammatical mistakes and improper choice of words for the context. If this is something you can overlook, then just sit back an
Nastasya Poney
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking story about a young woman struggling for dignity and her husband’s life in a foreign country.
It’s a real and well-documented story. And it is written in a flowing style that makes the book even more upsetting to read. Is it a biography? A novel? An essay? I’m not sure, but it casts a very bleak and contrasted light over some parts of the French health system.
Mery Muliati
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Through simple language and detailed depictions of the event, this book has successfully got my attention. I'm hooked with San's life from the beginning until the end, making me emotional at some points.
Highly recommended!!!!
Anggawestri Nabila
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Try to stop reading this book at any part is hard. Like my brains are echoing "what's next?". Simple sentences, easy to understand, with all those details written, the author must have had done profond research for this artwork. ...more
Auddreyslibrary
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Un livre dont je n’attendais pas beaucoup au départ, mais qui m’a subjugué. Définitivement, impossible à lâcher. Une fois que je levais la tête je ne faisais que penser à San et tous les événements qu’elle a traversé . Merci de m’avoir donné la chance de le lire !

Rani Mesrur
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very well written with descriptive details.
Some of the scenes made me anxious but I’m not complaining AT ALL :)
The fact that this book is based on true story is a plus!
Raysha Saputra

• Salah Piknik
  • Membicarakan Feminisme
  • Kertas Basah
  • Memburu Muhammad
  • Everything in Between: Bersepeda dari Belanda ke Indonesia dan Cerita di Antaranya
  • Empedu Tanah
  • Sepotong Hati di Angkringan
  • Panduan Sehari-hari Kaum Introver dan Mager
  • Woman at Point Zero
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • 82년생 김지영
A novel and children’s book author from Indonesia. Tiyasaa means optimists in Sundanese, the language of West Java where she was born and living her childhood.

Before finding herself as River’s chaser, she worked as a part-time lecturer in a private university and full-time market analyst for a national media company in Indonesia.

***