Start by marking “The Island” as Want to Read:
The Island

The Island

Lost meets The Hunger Games in the thrilling new young adult novel from C.L. Taylor, the Sunday Times and million-copy bestselling author.

Welcome to The Island.
Where your worst fears are about to come true…

It was supposed to be the perfect holiday: a week-long trip for six teenage friends on a remote tropical island.

But when their guide dies of a stroke leaving them strand
Published January 21st 2021

To ask other readers questions about The Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Island

Start your review of The Island
Ceecee
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six teenagers go on holiday to Thailand with their family’s as they have done all their lives as their parents stayed friends after meeting at antenatal class. The six get a Bear Grylls survival type experience on a deserted island. What could possibly go wrong?

This is a good YA novel which addresses a number of pertinent issues which teachers and parents could use to generate discussions around worrying problems for the young. It raises mental health concerns , dealing with grief, loss and pho
NZLisaM
Cross Survivor with One of Us is Lying, throw in some Lord of the Flies, and you have The Island.

Jessie, Danny, Honor, Milo, Meg, and Jeffers have been friends since birth. Their parents met in antenatal class and the families have vacationed together every year since. Now that the teens are seventeen, Jeffers father has arranged a special treat for them – nine days on an uninhabited tropical island off the coast of Thailand learning bush craft survival skills – just the six of them and an expe
Dannii Elle
Five teens have been friends since birth but the nature of their relationships have shifted with the tides of adolescence. Friendships have deepened for some, fractured for others, or become irreversibly distanced after becoming scarred by tragedy and grief, like for Jessie. Despite all this, their families still expect them to venture on one holiday a year together. Whilst the adults sit poolside with cocktails on hand, their children are sent to a nearby island for some survival and strategy f ...more
Claude's Bookzone
3.5 Stars

CW: (view spoiler)

Well that was entertaining and is going to be popular in the library!

I love a good survival story. Add elements of a psychological thriller in there and I'm totally there for it. The concept was very good and Cally cast enough doubt that the targe
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I am a big fan of C L Taylor’s books and this action packed adventure was fantastic and I read it in a day. This is her second YA book and it is as twisty and fun as her psychological thrillers.

6 teenagers who have known each other since birth.... their parents meeting at mothers group. They have all grown up together and every year the families go away on a holiday. This year it is Thailand, and the teenagers are spending a week on a remote, jungle of an island with a guide in a survivor style
Sue
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review Take your phobia or phobias.
Scares you right?
Mix them with being on an island with a guide that is now dead, just a group of your friends.
And then.....things happen one by one that bring out your individual phobias. Then there’s these guys.

It’s a YA read but can be for any age, it certainly has its scary moments that you bite your nails over.

Great portrayal of characters, young adults with kicking in hormones, great read!

My one down disappointment in the book was a portrayal of mental h
Pauline
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A group of six families go on holiday with each other every year. This year they are in Thailand and six of the teenagers go with a guide on an adventure to a private Island for a week.
They are not happy that they have look after themselves and when they loose their guide things start to get harder. Strange things start to happen and they begin to suspect each other but they are stuck on the Island with no way of getting help.
A real page turner with a twist.
Thank you to NetGalley for HQ my e-cop
Berit☀️✨
A tense and terrifying tale. can you imagine being trapped on an island with six of your “friends“? No way to get off the island, no way to communicate with the outside world, and someone is up to no good. Who is making these teens phobias come true? Is there a stranger on the island, and if so how do they know the friends deepest fears? this is what happens when paradise becomes a nightmare.

What a book! I was so caught up in this addictive story I listened to the audio well past my bedtime. Th
bookswithpaulette
Jeffers, Danny, Honor, Jessie, Meg and Milo have been friends’ all their life. Their friendship is driven from their parents who meet in antenatal class and the families have kept up with their annual group holiday since.

Celebrating Jeffers 17th birthday his dad surprises him with a week away with his friends to a remote tropical Island off the coast of Thailand. They will have a guide with them whilst they learn survival wilderness skills. This year the parents will stay behind on the mainland
Becca
Jan 09, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
CL Taylor is one of my all time favourite authors, and I have read all her thriller work, including her first YA novel The Treatment - which I loved.

When The Island came up for request on NetGalley I was straight on it, and so happy to be accepted for it.

The story follows a group of 6 teenagers who have been linked since birth, as their parents attended the same baby group. They have therefore all grown up around each other, doing things together and going on holidays together etc. This year t
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is certainly no story like the Famous Five. Here, in Thailand, six teenagers are having to survive on a remote island with no chance of rescue until a week has passed because one of the parents has “booked” the island for a week’s stay. There’s no chance of ginger beer, a picnic or a mystery to solve as the group worry for their own safety.

A young adult thriller, I think this will appeal to teenagers and older readers alike. It’s a gripping story that moves at a quick pace. From both Jessie
Fizah(Books tales by me)
I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is pitched as Lost meets the Hunger Games. Six childhood friends went on a private island with a guide, it was supposed to be a fun trip. But they got stuck there for 7 days. Survival is hard but things started to fall apart when their phobias started to come true.

I was really excited to read it. The first sentence of the book totally hooked me and I really liked the first 100 pages, little flashbacks from the past mak
Natalie "Curling up with a Coffee and a Kindle" Rampling
This was fantastic!
I listened to the audiobook of this title and it was extremely well executed.
All the characters' personalities were distinct and memorable, and the plot was non-stop! Kept me engaged the entire time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. C L Taylor is definitely a favourite author of mine and doesn't disappoint!
The narrators of the audiobook were brilliant, and captured the drama of the story perfectly.
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for my ARC.
Shalini
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me completely of the series on Amazon Prime – The Wilds. 6 teenagers stranded on an island when their survivor specialist guide had a stroke and fell dead. Then came the sabotage of their boat, followed by each of them facing their fears. Would they get off the island alive? And how many would survive?

YA thriller debut by author C. L. Taylor, it was quite a journey of fun to read from the safety of my home. I used to love the Bear Grylls survivor episodes, and some parts of it
Nicole
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun YA thriller with a really cool concept

As with all C.L Taylor books this book was really well written and super engaging.

The concept was really interesting. I love books set in claustrophobic closed in environments so this books setting was perfect for me.

I didn't love the characters. They weren't all that likeable as people and it took me a while to be able to distinguish them from each other.

It was full of twists and turns. I was totally captivated and hooked right till
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, netgalley
3.5⭐️
I loved this cover! Isn’t it awesome? The narrators were spot on and I thought their voices fit well for the story.
This was a YA book so keep that in mind when watching this play out. I always have to consider the genre when I’m going into a story.
Teenagers are stranded on this island and they’re not handling things well and no one is prepared.
I thought it was ok. I wanted a little more development with the characters and the plot. I couldn’t predict the end, so at least there’s that. I
Rach
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six teenage friends who are being friends for years through their parents are going to a remote tropical island for their holiday. It looks like paradise at first until their guide dies of a stroke which leaves them stranded on the island until their parents realise. One by one each member of the groups worst nightmare becomes and group start to think someone is after them on the island.

We are POV’s in the book Jessie and Danny.

This was a fun read. Imagine thinking you are going to tropical isl
my bookworm life
An enjoyable YA thriller , although for me I do like Ya books but don’t tend to go for this genre with them.
This would be very enjoyable for teenagers and I wish there was more of this thing when I was younger as I would have loved it. Still a good twisty read though.

I received a copy via NetGalley from the publisher
Annie (Sad Water Bottle)
I gotta stop adding every book that sounds like The Hunger Games. ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
Holy tension! This book has been dubbed as Lord of the Flies meets The Hunger Games and whoever came up with that description nailed this. A group of teenagers go on a survivalist trip to a deserted Island as birthday "treat" for one them. And what starts off a a bit of fun rapidly deteriorates into chaotic nightmare.

I loved guessing what was really going on and really enjoyed how the tension tightened up chapter by chapter. Entertaining, nerve wracking and not for the faint hearted as it hits
Julie Lacey
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from C.L. Taylor.
Six teenagers get the opportunity to stay on a remote island in Thailand while their parents are at the neighbouring resort.
Things don’t start off great as within days their guide suddenly dies leaving them to fend for themselves on the island. They try to get off the island in the boat they arrived in, but soon discover it has been sabotaged.
On their first evening the group shared their phobia's around the campfire and soon someone is bringing their worst f
The Book Review Café
The Island is targeted at the YA audience, even at a stretch there’s no way on earth I could be classed as a YA! But I’m a huge fan of C. L. Taylor’s books so there was no way on earth I would not miss reading this book. Personally, I think The Island is an chilling, suspense filled thriller that will appeal to readers of all ages. Six teenagers are on a seven-day adventure break, but end up stranded on an remote island in Thailand, sounds perfect! But instead of beach parties, barbecues and fro ...more
Michelle
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six teenagers go on holiday with their parents to Thailand. They have been on holidays for years with their parents since they met in an antenatal class. As a special treat for one of the teenager’s birthday there is a separate excursion to stay on a deserted island for a week and forage like Bear Grylls.
So, they teenagers set off with a guide to show them the ropes while they are on the island. But after the first night the guide who is in sixties suddenly dies from a stroke and the kids are l
Liz Barnsley
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
rattled through this, it was HIGHLY addictive and I had a love hate relationship with all the characters- which this author always does to me whether shes writing adult novels brilliantly or young adult novels brilliantly.

A disparate group of teenagers all stuck on a desert island, trying to hang on until rescue but somebody seems determined to make that extremely difficult- but who and why?

Well you’ll eventually find out but before then you’ll have a rocketing read that will entirely grip you,
Nikki
I received this audiobook from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I really like C.L. Taylor's thrillers, and her YA ones are no different. She manages to write something tense and twisty in a way that feels fresh.

In this one, we get six friends who are on a Thai island for a week with a guide. But it all goes wrong early on, and the teens start experiencing strange occurrences that align with their greatest fears.

We have two narrators in the book - Jessie and Danny. T
Nicki
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Sleep and Strangers, C.L. Taylor’s most recent books, and couldn’t resist requesting The Island when I saw it was available as an audiobook on NetGalley.

This was a fab audiobook about six teenagers spending a week on a remote island without their phones or any other electronic devices. They’ve known each other all their lives, their parents becoming friends after meeting in a NCT baby group. and then having summer holidays together ever since. They all get along well together, although t
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woah, that was an intense couple of hours as I couldn't put this book down, but also couldn't quite figure out who was behind everything, in fact I didn't really come up with any theories as I was so absorbed in the story, I couldn't spare any space in my brain for anything other than reading the words and seeing it play out in my mind.

Well the 6 teenage friends, were meant to be on the Island for a safe survival experience, camping out and living in the jungle for a week, on a private island w
hollie
I don’t really know what I was expecting from this book but what I got wasn’t it for me.
I went into this book thinking this was going to be an intense YA thriller but I got a weird teen romcom with a bit of mystery splashed in.

- The characters. I firstly just don’t understand why we only had Jessie and Danny’s pov. I think the story would have been a lot better told if we got to see everyone’s perspectives. I also thought Jessie was just irritating and Danny was erratic.
- The plot felt boring an
Gina Robertson
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I saw a C.L Taylor book was available on NetGalley I logged on and requested it. Thankfully, I was accepted and I have just finished reading this fabulous book!

A group of childhood friends go on their annual holiday and this year go all out for one of their birthdays. Renting their very own island! But when things start going wrong, who is to blame?

The perfect ‘who’s done it’ story. Excitement, thrills and suspense throughout. The characters are really likeable and the ending was a
Ashleigh
Wow. I've found a YA mystery that I don't hate!! In fact, I kinda love this!

Using one of my favourite mystery tropes, The Island follows a group of teenagers who are on a remote excursion on an island off the coast of Thailand when their tour guide dies and the group finds themselves stranded. Things go from bad to worse when the teens' worst fears start happening to them and they realise someone is trying to kill them..

I absolutely fricking love a good isolation mystery thriller. Give me a book
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Island by C.L. Taylor - Starting 17th September 2020 21 12 Sep 27, 2020 01:07AM

• The Shadow Man
  • Bad Habits
  • The Last Thing to Burn
  • The Spiral
  • Married at First Swipe
  • Dead Head (Sweetpea #3)
C.L. Taylor is an award winning Sunday Times bestselling author of eight gripping psychological thrillers including SLEEP, a Richard and Judy Book Club pick for autumn 2019. Her books are not a series and can be read in any order:

2014 - THE ACCIDENT / Before I Wake (U.S.)
2015 - THE LIE