Jump to ratings and reviews

The Dog Share

‘Brilliant and funny… I raced through it at 90 mph and was devastated at the last page and just wanted to go read it all again… Sheer genius… More please!!!!’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Suzy Medley is having the worst day of her life when a shaggy terrier suddenly turns up at her door.

Just like Suzy, Scout has been abandoned, although only Suzy has been left with a financial mess and a business in tatters thanks to her ex.

Suzy takes Scout in and her chaotic world changes in unexpected ways: strangers have never been more welcoming and her teenage kids can’t wait to come home to visit.

Then a chance encounter on a windy Hebridean beach makes things more complicated, because Suzy isn’t the only one who needs a friend.

Scout has plenty of love to go round… but does Suzy?

A wonderfully funny and uplifting story about friendship and second chances (and whisky!), perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Jill Mansell and Marian Keyes.

Readers are falling in love with The Dog Share:
An outstanding book! One to remember!Sheer escapism, a feel good and uplifting read, I would recommend this book to anyone’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Absolutely loved this book! A must read for all dog owners! A real comfort read’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Warm, hopeful, wonderful escape… The island's beauty and community spirit made me want to be there’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Perfect escapism… A joy to read… I read it in almost one sitting as I couldn't put it down… An easy, heartwarming read’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

A feel-good, uplifting story that all animal lovers will enjoy!’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

A must read for those who love stories about dogs… Sure to make you smile’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Adorable!… I love the idea of the dog share and how it brings people together in lots of different ways’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Fantastically feel goodA book to warm your heart and make you smile… A happy, uplifting read’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

‘I am in the camp of cat-lover… However, it is impossible to not fall in love with ScoutLeft me with a smile on my face’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

368 pages, Paperback

Published March 4, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Fiona Gibson

37 books370 followers
Fiona is an author and journalist who has written for many UK publications including The Observer, The Guardian, Marie Claire, Red, New Woman, Top Sante and Elle. She writes a monthly column for Sainsbury’s magazine and is a Contributing Editor at Red magazine.

Fiona lives in Scotland with her husband, their twin sons and daughter. She likes to draw, run 10k races, play her saxophone and lie in the bath with a big glass of wine, although not all at once.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 436 reviews
Profile Image for Sarah.
1,045 reviews119 followers
March 31, 2021
My second read by Gibson and another easy 5 stars! This was a lovely, gentle story and I really enjoyed watching the characters grow to love cute Scout, an abandoned dog who seems to personify the wilderness of Sgadansay, a quaint, remote island off Scotland.

I am in the camp of cat-lover, so reading a book about a dog is a little bit out there! However, it is impossible to not fall in love with Scout and I really enjoyed watching how this little dog creates so many relationships as a result. When it becomes clear that Scout has been abandoned on the island, Suzy decides to take him in. Even though posters have been shared about Scout, no one has claimed him. It is then that Suzy realises she cannot bear to part with him and this is the beginning of the first glorious friendship.

Through Scout, Suzy makes more friends in the island of Sgadansay. This is providential considering that Suzy also has come to own the failing distillery on the island. Providing many jobs on the island but not making a profit, Suzy is perceived as the “enemy”, with locals fearing for their jobs. It is down to Suzy to try and turn this business around – but she needs the support of the employees too. Therefore, not only does Suzy find herself settling down on the island, she has the steep upwards learning curve of trying to manage the distillery and reconciliate with its employees.

As a result, I don’t think this book is wholly romantic fiction. You cannot deny the love that everyone holds towards Scout but, between obvious characters, this is not a dominant part of the narrative. Sure, it is pretty clear where the romantic interest lies, but Gibson does not use this to push the story forwards. Instead, it is more about the distillery and Suzy getting to know the locals on the island, making several close friends along the way.

With many scenes taking place on the windswept beach, I certainly felt the cobwebs being blown away! I appreciated the setting that Gibson creates and vivdly felt like I was strolling along the beach with Suzy, Scout and their friends. I think this added to the relaxing atmosphere that this book conveys: taking it easy and enjoying life. There is no real “crisis” in this novel which I think makes it more appealing. Sure, maybe it is a bit too “glossy” in comparison to real life, but a bit of escapism, especially to the Hebrides, is never a bad thing.

I really like the concept of a group of people bonding over a dog. True, Suzy is Scout’s main owner, but the pleasure and love that comes from sharing him with others who have absent canine companions, is a really sweet idea. It brings together people who may not have necessarily crossed paths but without the full-time commitment of looking after a dog. In other words, all the characters are still able to go about their daily business, sharing Scout around so that technically, he is never on his own. Perfect! (And definitely something an aloof cat would never let you do!)

Another solid read from Gibson and one that left me with a smile on my face. If there is a Scout out there, I really want to meet you!

With thanks to Avon books and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Moony (Captain Mischief) MeowPoff.
1,410 reviews121 followers
February 5, 2021
I got this eARC from Netgalley in exhange for a honest review
DNF 34%
I just gave up. When i read what the book was about it sounded sort of adorable, plus there was a dog involved! Scout, adorable right? Well yes. But not enough to make me continue reading. I was just lost and confused most of the time, what was happening? Why? Where is the dog? Just general so much what going on in my head and in the end i lost interest.
Profile Image for Val (pagespoursandpups).
265 reviews66 followers
April 6, 2021
A book with a dog on the cover? Of course I’m in! This book was a fun, light read, full of what I consider entertaining English phrases like, “cheap plonk” and “queue jumper.” I saw some negative reviews about this, but I really enjoyed reading it. I didn’t go in expecting a serious, heavy read, so the pace and style of this book suited me perfectly.

This is what I would consider a Chick Lit rather than Romance. It follows the lives of Suzy, a 48 year old obituary writer, and Ricky, a single Dad who is a primary school music teacher. The first few chapters of the book were confusing, as there were several characters described (all seemed to be 10 years old), but not named. Once I was able to get past that initial frustration, the story picked up while it followed Suzy’s quest to rebuild and redefine her life after a bad breakup and a failed business, and Ricky’s admirable attempts to simultaneously look after both his aging father and his distracted pre-teen son.

Scout, the dog in the book, did what every dog seems to be able to do - bring people together. Suzy happens upon Scout when he shows up at her rented cottage door in the rain. Since she has no prior background with dogs, she plans to find his owners or bring him to the pound. As expected, once she has experienced the calming and comforting effects that dogs provide, she keeps him after her diligent search ends without finding anyone claiming to be missing him. During her outings with Scout, the usually introverted Suzy finds that people are nicer and more welcoming to her when they see has a dog. Scout enables Suzy to befriend shopkeepers, develop a new friendship and discover a possible love interest. He also brings her closer to her grown children, who always wanted a dog but were only allowed to have guinea pigs.

The stories of Suzy and Ricky are told in alternating voices, but I responded more to Suzy’s storyline. Suzy learns to trust her instincts and believe in herself as the story progresses. The author paints a lovely picture of the quaint island off of Scotland, where most of the story is based The stories of Suzy and Ricky finally intersect through Scout and Ricky’s son and father, and the ending is expected, but nevertheless heartwarming. 3.6 stars rounded up to 4.

Recommended for a light, happy read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon books for giving me the chance to read and review an ARC of this book.
Profile Image for Alaina.
5,921 reviews216 followers
May 24, 2021
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, The Dog Share was filled with so much disappointment. I'll even admit that when I first got the book I was really excited to dive into the romcom. Mostly because there's a dog on the cover, and in the title, and I love any dog book to pieces. So, yeah, I was pretty excited to dive into this.

In the beginning, it was pretty cute. I felt for the girl who wanted to take the dog back home with her. I didn't quite like the dad for saying no because it was a lonely and lost dog. So when the dog ran off, I was immediately thinking that something might be wrong with their owner. Possibly? So I was hoping that they would adventure off after the little guy.. but nope.

Then we start to get into the actual dog share around the half way mark - maybe? At this point, I'm thinking it took way too long to get to that part when the title of the book is actually about this. So, yeah, if you think I'm annoyed already - I really was. Also, the romance was meh to me. I wouldn't necessarily say it felt forced but it kind of felt non-existent for most of this book. So I think this would have made more sense being about friendship... or being acquaintances. Something other than romance to be honest.

In the end, it was an okay book and I'm disappointed by that. I definitely had higher expectations walking into this one.
Profile Image for Fabulous Book Fiend.
1,120 reviews123 followers
March 2, 2021
Ok if you're going into this book thinking this is going to be all about dogs then far not. Scout is a main character in this book but Suzy is really our main character and she is great fun to spend time with. We also get to meet Ricky who is a male character who get's to have feelings and insecurities-huzzah! The thing that I really loved about this book thought was the setting. I love spending time in Scotland and we got to see a Scottish Island, distillery, Glasgow and Oban in this book-what more could you want.

Fiona Gibson has a talent for writing female character later in life. We always get to read about the happily ever after but what about when that happily ever after comes to an end and you're turning fifty and you want to know what comes next? Fiona Gibson allows her characters to get to that point and guides us as readers as to what happens next. She tells it like it is and Suzy reacted in a great way to every that Fiona threw at her. She was just a sensible human and we all need more of those in our lives right now!

As already mentioned Ricky is a male character who is allowed to have insecurities and emotions of his own. Due to the fact that we have chapters from Suzy's point of view and chapters from Rickey's point of view we get to explore what is going on inside Ricky's mind. He has had it just as tough as Suzy and I love that he is having to care for both his son and his father on his own. We get to see the toll that takes on him and how it causes him to look for love an affection is the most unlikely of places.

Yes of course we have Scout the dog and we get to see him go through the recuse process and all of that entails but can we talk about the Whisky distillery for a moment please? I may not be a dog person but I am a whisky person and I loved the idea of Suzy having this distillery hanging over her. She visits the distillery with her husband during happy times but now it is hanging a little like the rock around her neck and I loved learning about the ins and outs of running that business-it really stuck out as a unique feature of a romcom novel to me.

The things I really took away from this book were the fully formed characters, the great setting and the inclusion of a distillery in this novel. Fiona Gibson once again weaves a great tale. I listened to this on audiobook and the narrators did a great job even with the different between an inner Hebrides accent, an Oban accent and a Glasgow accent. Highly recommend!
Profile Image for Becca da Romance Queen.
231 reviews18 followers
December 11, 2020
Before I get started on this review, I just want to thank NetGalley for giving me an e-copy of this book!

When I saw this book on NetGalley, it just caught my eye because it looked like the perfect romance book to cuddle up with, in my bed! Despite how much I didn't want to like this book, it all worked out at the end of the rainbow, and I was very happy with this book, I still am.

The Dog Share was such a cute book with that guaranteed romance, but not too little and not too much! It was so squee-worthy (Brinley understands) and I found myself squeeing at adorable parts in this book & feeling warm and fuzzy. :)

The plot was unique; an abandoned dog left on an island to survive all by himself brings so many people together, it's just all-in-all adorable and memorable!

*Very enjoyable, indeed, it makes you feel good, and I didn't find anything wrong with it!

CUTE QUOTE: "And Scout, of course. The dog who brought us all together." -The Dog Share by Fiona Gibson

~Becca da Romance Queen<3

Other review can be found here: https://becbananasbookieblog.wixsite....
March 9, 2021
*Audiobook review*
This was a cute read at times, but took a long time for me to get to grips with the characters and their connection to each other.
A book about a dog, but from a person who is totally obsessed with dogs, there wasn't enough mention of him, or any other dogs! I was hoping for cute and fluffy (basically, like dogs are to me) but this was very character driven and the dog was the side story!
The narrators were easy to listen to and I liked their accents, and they did well. I just expected more from this than what I got, unfortunately.
Many thanks to the publishers for the copy to review.
Profile Image for Mia.
2,107 reviews467 followers
July 8, 2021
You don't get to bait me with dog on cover and for him to barely in book anyway meh.
Profile Image for Aura .
409 reviews66 followers
April 12, 2021
*I was given an arc of The Dog Share in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher*

Ay 😭 No ha sido lo que esperaba por lo que no he conectado ni con la historia ni con los personajes. Estoy muy triste.

(El libro está bien escrito y me podría haber gustado, pero creo que no era su momento).

RESEÑA COMPLETA EN EL BLOG: https://libros-encantados.blogspot.co...

*Review in english*

Suzy has a bad streak. Her boyfriend has run away and left her with the distillery business in ruins so she will have to take charge of it and decide what will happen next. The appearance of Scout, a lost dog, will make her life de ella more bearable and lead her to meet more people ...

The dog share is the first book I read by Fiona Gibson and well, it was not what I expected. If I'm honest, I got carried away a lot by the cover. I thought it was going to be a cute and romantic reading that was going to entertain me and also, with a little dog in between. Well, it has not been like that. There is practically no love in the whole novel, in the end you can intuit something, but it is not the central piece of the novel and that has disappointed me.

I always say that going with expectations is bad, but going with the wrong idea is also bad. Objectively, the novel is not bad, it is interesting and entertaining because it tells you * things *, but I have not connected with the story or with the characters. For me, many things have been missing. We have two points of view, that of Suzy and that of the male lead and it made me very nervous that the stories don't intermingle until almost the end.

The characters are mature, they have their lives made and I have not connected with any of them. Suzy is a woman who has already been divorced and has two children, ages nineteen and twenty-one. She never allowed a dog in her home, but when she finds Scout she decides to keep him. Ricky is a music teacher and takes care of his son. The relationship of these two characters does not happen until almost the end and that made me very nervous.

Anyway, The dog share has not been a book for me. I understand that someone else might like it, but I have not read it at the right time because my body asked me for a romantic novel and this has not been that. For now it is only available in English and there is no news from Spain.
Profile Image for Yvonne (It's All About Books).
1,947 reviews243 followers
January 14, 2021

Finished reading: January 13th 2021

"Sometimes it seems as if my emotions are strapped to a roller coaster, and the shady-looking fairground guy is having a smoke and has forgotten to activate the stop button."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Avon Books UK in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

P.S. Find more of my reviews here.
Profile Image for Sarah Louise.
727 reviews290 followers
February 24, 2021
Thank you to Avon Books UK for the gifted copy in exchange for review

This was a cute story, but not exactly what I expected. Based on the title, cover, and synopsis, I assumed I was getting a romantic comedy featuring a connection through a dog. While the title does fit, I do feel it’s a tad misleading to label this as a romance.

Told through both Suzy and Ricky, both in their 40s, it felt more like a story of rebuilding your purpose and the significance of family. Primarily set on a remote Scottish island, Sgadansay, I really enjoyed the setting and even more so the crotchety father of Ricky, Harry. Suzy, an obituary writer, and Ricky, a music teacher, were great characters and their separate stories involving their children was lovely.

My main complaint is the fact that Suzy and Ricky don’t cross paths in any significant way until over halfway in. While Scout, the most adorable canine companion, does somewhat tie them together, the failed distillery project left to Suzy by her ex seemed more significant to their connection. And even after their initial introduction, I’d say there was much less focus on the romance.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this story. The fateful way a dog led Suzy down a different path in life was really sweet, but like I said, I expected something different.
Profile Image for Carla.
5,714 reviews121 followers
March 25, 2021
I want to start by saying that I enjoyed this story, but, it was not the story I was expecting. From the blurb, I was expecting a light, humorous, uplifting story with some romance, but that is not exactly what it was. Suzy is a woman who has allowed her boyfriend to use her to support his crazy schemes and jobs. She was a pushover and finds herself as a partner in a distillery that is going bottoms up. She is determined not to let the people on the island who are in her employ down, and works hard to bring the distillery back from the brink. The first part is about Suzy's life with her deadbeat boyfriend and her struggle to get the business back on its feet.

When she meets Scout, things change. Everyone loves him, her teenage children, some of the locals, and the grandson of her master distiller. This brings so many people together in wonderful ways and Suzy develops some lasting friendships. This was a unique plot, an abandoned dog left on an island to survive all by himself bringing all these people together. There are wonderful friendships developed, family relationships improve and move forward and there is a romantic relationship, but it is actually just a small part of the whole story. I was hoping for a bit more romance, but Fiona Gibson did a good job fitting all this together and in a uplifting, happy way. I had a Jack Russel for 17 years and I can definitely attest to their personalities and how they bring people together. I loved Scout and he left me feeling a bit melancholy remembering the great times we had with our Bigg.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Cathleen McCarron and Robin Laing. I really enjoyed the dual narration used for this audiobook. The accents were right on and the expression and tone were perfect for this story. I really enjoyed this listening experience. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book upon request. The rating and opinions shared are my own.
Profile Image for The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori).
1,150 reviews1,290 followers
April 28, 2021
Full Review on The Candid Cover

3.5 Stars

The Dog Share by Fiona Gibson is a cute contemporary that gives the reader a feel-good vibe. The characters are enjoyable and the setting is ideal. While the plot takes a little while to get rolling, the book is sweet and perfect for your beach bag.

To sum this book up neatly, it is a lovely story. However, it just was not exactly what I was expecting based on the cover and the synopsis. It really seems that it is going to be a rom-com that involves sharing a dog, but it is not quite how this book plays out.

❀ SLOW-PACED

The story is told in alternating perspectives and both characters are enjoyable to read about. Suzy is a divorced mother with adult children and she is just coming out of a bad break-up. Ricky, on the other hand, is a single father navigating life with his young son. The connection between these two characters takes a long time to develop. More than halfway through the story Suzy and Ricky meet and their stories slowly begin to intertwine. While there is nothing specifically dislikable about the plot, it just seems to be really drawn out and it would have been more enjoyable if more time had been spent on Suzy and Ricky’s relationship.

❀ ENJOYABLE ASPECTS

There are some other aspects of the novel that I really loved. Scout, the rescue dog, brings some fun and lighthearted moments to the story. He is quite charming and really brings people together. Also the Scotland setting is wonderful, and I loved the descriptions of the landscape and its people.

❀ CUTE, FEEL-GOOD STORY

The Dog Share by Fiona Gibson is a perfect book if you are in the mood for a cute, feel-good story. The characters and the setting are enjoyable to read about. It is a bit slow-paced, but overall a sweet story.
Profile Image for Joy.
258 reviews12 followers
February 1, 2021
When I saw the title and the cover of this book, I was immediately pretty sure that I really wanted to read this. A book about a dog? Yes!

The Dog Share was a cute book with a beautiful storyline in it. It focuses on family, friendship, tradition and it does so in a heartwarming way.

I love how Scout (the dog) is so loved by everyone he’s surrounded with and I love how Suzy puts her all into trying to save the Sgadansay distillery.
Scout puts a feel good element into the story and always is the cheerful, connecting link between the characters. He sounds like such a lovely dog.

I loved how Sgadansay was being described and how I could form my own image of the island in my head. The descriptions really made the place come alive, which added to the story. I already dream of a trip to a place like Sgadansay.

However, I had some problems with the pacing of the story. I had a feeling the story only started to progress after reading about 55%, which seems a little late for me. The whole 55% I thought: when is the actual dog share about to happen? when will something significant happen? However, after that 55%, the story starts to progress more and more, and then I flew through it.
Overall, this is a cute and light story if you want to dream away about a beautiful island and a lovely bond between a dog and several human beings.

Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for erin.
460 reviews305 followers
December 27, 2020
this book is just incredibly CONFUSING and for absolutely no reason at all.

I had to dnf it at around 50%, and even at that point, I couldn't tell you what was going on.

This has a decent idea around it but executed very poorly, and the only reason I was even reading this was for the dog(NOT ENOUGH OF THE DOG IN THE BOOK).

my socials : my blog my twitter
my bookstagram my pinterest
my amazon wishlist
Profile Image for Lucy C.
299 reviews43 followers
December 8, 2020
I love Fiona's books they are so uplifting this one is no different.

Set on a beautiful Island Suzy doesn't want to let people down and trys her best to turn around the mess her Ex left her in.

A stray cute doggie named Scout comes Suzy's door and they instantly form a friendship.

Another fab enjoyable read full of likeable characters great settings.

One not to miss. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
February 21, 2021
5 Stars

I received an ARC of "The Dog Share" from NetGalley and Avon Books UK and I absolutely adored this book. The story was exactly what I needed to read at this time as it was uplifting, inspiring, and romantic. I was initially drawn to this book by it's cover design and description of the story and it did not disappoint. "The Dog Share" is the first book I have read by the author Fiona Gibson and I am now definitely interested in reading her other books.

Suzy Medley is struggling to get her life back on track. Her two children are now grown and moving on with their lives, her business is one step away from closing it's doors forever, and her relationship of seven years has just come to an end. As Suzy tries to make changes and move forward an unlikely stranger in the form of a dog is going to help her develop new friendships and relationships, and help her to move forward on a new life path. That dog stranger is Scout, an abandoned lovable terrier. Scout is a pure joy and he is sure to bring a smile to your face as he shows Suzy and her new friends how to move ahead, and shows them how to leave the past in the past.

"The Dog Share" is a must read for those who love stories about dogs and the happiness they bring to the people around them. I am so very honoured for the opportunity to have read this book and I highly recommend it to other readers. "The Dog Share" is sure to make you smile, think about your dogs, or your dogs who have traveled across the Rainbow Bridge; but not in a sad way. The story reminds us that the love of a dog can bring such joy into ours lives when we need a little bit of joy.
Profile Image for Karschtl.
2,178 reviews51 followers
March 3, 2021
3,5 Stars

I very much liked the idea of a dog and his 'patchwork carers'. It's an ideal arrangement for all of them, especially of course for Scout. And the setting on this little island of the Hebrides sounds quite wonderful. At least for a vacation. I've just read that it is constantly windy there, and can just about cope with the amount of wind I currently have.

While Suzy is definitely the main protagonist and most of the story centers around her, there are also alternating chapters with Ricky as well. That gives us more insight into his and Arthurs life, but it wasn't really necessary and his part of the story could have been told in a different way as well. There were also a lot of issues - on Suzys side as well as on Rickys side - crammed into the story. Made me always think that there might be more books that center around one of the other characters (Suzys sister, Arthurs mom, Cara, ....). We'll see.
Profile Image for Janet.
266 reviews
March 26, 2021
I chose this book based solely on the title. I expected a heartwarming story of a dog enriching people’s lives, and that is exactly what I got.

Scout the dog turns up at Suzy’s holiday rental cottage one rainy night. She takes him in as he looks list and she plans to find his owner the following day. She is visiting the island to try to save the distillery her ex bought on a whim and then turned from thriving business to a business full of debt and on the verge of closure.

Ricky and his 11 year old son are staying with his elderly grouchy father who had been the master distiller.

Of course we know that Suzy and Ricky are going to meet and there is going to be a bit of romance. However I felt the main message given by the book was how a dog can bring people together and help through tough times.

You will have to read the book to find out if Scout is reunited with his owner!

Thanks to NetGalley and Avon books for a review copy of the book.
549 reviews13 followers
February 17, 2021
Once again, a lovely book is done in by poor marketing. The description of this book makes it sound like it's all about a woman, the dog she adopts when she's floundering, and the connections she makes thanks to the dog. The cover screams romance and cute pets. The problem is that although there is a dog, and there is an understated, very slow burn, low-key romance, neither of those elements are the primary focus of this book. In reading over some of the other reviews, it's clear that those readers were expecting something very different from what was delivered and they were disappointed. I was also expecting something different, but rather than being disappointed, I was utterly charmed.

This was a lovely story about how you are never too old to finally feel comfortable in your own skin and figure out the things that you are good at. Suzy is a sweet, well-meaning, uncomplicated woman. She’s a divorced mother of 2 college age students who, like many of us, has never really had a plan for her life, but rather has just muddled through, reacting to circumstances rather than actively shaping them. When her romantic partner of 6 years decides, out of the blue, to purchase a small whisky distillery in the Outer Hebrides, even though he has zero experience with whisky or indeed with running any kind of business, and has a history of jumping from one hare-brained idea to another, Suzy hardly raises a whisper of protest. Instead, as so many of us do with our romantic partner, she goes along with his plan.

Two years later, after her (now-ex) partner’s inevitable crash and burn, she is advised to liquidate, declare bankruptcy, and walk away, but all she can think about is the employees who will lose their livelihood, so instead of taking the easy way out, she resolves to try to save the business. This is where the true story begins, as Suzy finds unexpected strength within herself to persevere in the face of disapproval from the distillery employees. The abandoned dog that she adopts gives her an additional purpose and helps her to open up to others and to possibilities, new friendships, and romance that she otherwise would have missed. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Millie.
80 reviews11 followers
February 16, 2021
**Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free e-book copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**

The Dog Share is a light-hearted easy read that follows the lives of two characters - Suzy and Ricky - and how their separate lives come together in unexpected ways. It was not what I was expecting based on the cover or the title, but the blurb sets the scene well. The book is mostly character driven, with the growth of the two characters centre stage, but I did find myself wanting to know more about secondary characters. I enjoyed this book but it did feel quite superficial in parts. I would recommend it if you are looking for a light-hearted, uplifting read.
Profile Image for Federica.
430 reviews9 followers
February 28, 2021
I was a bit wary when I started this book since I had read some not very good reviews.
But I loved it right from the start, loved the way it is written, loved the setting, the characters, loved everything about it!
Yes, it's true, not a lot of romance going on here, but there's so much more to it! There's Suzy's story, what she went through with Paul, the relationships with her family and her kids. There's Ricky's story, what happend with his son Arthur's mother and his relationship with whom I find the greatest character in the book (apart from the dog Scout): his father Harry.
There's real life here, with feelings and bad and good days, not only a sappy love story.
A beautiful, beautiful, heartwarming story!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lisa Denton.
201 reviews9 followers
March 16, 2021
The Dog Share by Fiona Gibson is a delightful, heartwarming story about Suzy, Cara, Ricky and his son Arthur, Ricky's dad Harry, and the little dog Scout who brings them all together.

Suzy is trying to piece together a business that was nearly driven into the ground by her ex partner. Cara is alone and heartbroken, and in need of a friend and artistic inspiration. Ricky, his son Arthur, and his dad Harry are searching to make sense of some recent changes in their lives.

Along comes little dog Scout, the friend, inspiration, and peace maker they all need.

There are no surprises in this book, and the reader can see where it's heading right from the start. That's okay, though, because the characters are well written and lovable, right down to (and especially) adorable Scout,

Thank you to NetGalley, Ms. Gibson, and publisher Avon Books for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Kim.
1,977 reviews49 followers
March 31, 2021
Suzy has a nightmare situation to sort out and whilst staying in holiday rental, a stray dog scratches at the door. Scout brings focus to her and leads her to meet other people who also fall in love with the dog.She has an uphill battle trying to save the local distillery, her ex left it in a real mess. The locals are initially hostile and I think I'd have felt like cutting and running!
There are a few different issues tackled and plenty to make you think. The beach makes you want to move and enjoy walks with Scout. It was a great read.
Profile Image for Fay Flude.
614 reviews26 followers
May 28, 2021
Fantastically feel good, this is a book to warm your heart, make you smile, and relish the comfort of your home as you read about the windswept Hebridean island of Sgadansay where canine capers and a blossoming romance go hand in hand with a troubled distillery and a stressed out Suzy who is desperate to get the business back on track. Her ex has had many business ideas and abandoned them all and now he has abandoned Suzy. Her task, a seemingly uphill one, is to try and win over locals and convince one very stubborn and proud Head Distiller Harry Vance to return to his job.
Suzy, as a writer of obituaries can work anywhere and she needs to spend more time on the island to make good something that has adversely affected the small community and made her name mud. In the course of putting right her ex's wrongs, Suzy finds an abandoned dog and takes Scout in. The dog is the beginning of better times as he helps Suzy make friends and win people's hearts. Sharing him first with artist Cara and then Ricky and his son Arthur who come from Glasgow to the island for holidays, Scout brings together those who are lonely, those who are in need of some love and plenty of healing takes place. The past is accepted with bit more ease and new beginnings become more than just a possibility.
I loved all the characters in this book, the dialogue between them, the very irascible Harry and the way in which difficult events are told sensitively and realistically but with a very light touch.
This is a happy, uplifting read from an author I an quickly growing very fond of.
Thanks to Fiona Gibson, the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this uplifting, charming and life-is-full-of-promise novel.
Profile Image for Emandherbooks.
558 reviews46 followers
May 25, 2022
I was really disappointed by this story. I’m a huge dog lover and was expecting to love this romantic story involving a wonderful four legged friend.

I was let down hugely on the romantic side, it wasn’t a feature until at least half way through. I didn’t have much of a connection with any of the characters and I’m sad to say I was happy when it finished.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t the one for me.
Profile Image for Cecilia.
215 reviews13 followers
April 3, 2021
ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE OF AN HONEST REVIEW

i feel like this books had a lot of potential but it wasn’t fully developed. it was a cute romcom but in some parts, mostly until the middle i thought the development was quite slow. however, i feel that it gives what it pretends to give: a cute romance to get trough with out pain
Profile Image for Carole Hearn.
158 reviews2 followers
March 20, 2021
Very enjoyable read. Really want to go and visit the isle of white now. Where it is set sounds beautiful
Profile Image for Germaine.
341 reviews1 follower
January 29, 2022
Nearly ended up in the DNF pile but finished it boring and self serving not what I thought it was going to be like
Profile Image for myfavoritechapter.
106 reviews7 followers
October 4, 2022
Unfortunately this just wasn't for me. I couldn't tell the characters apart and therefor couldn't really relate to them or get into the story...
Displaying 1 - 30 of 436 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.