Start by marking “Project Hail Mary” as Want to Read:

Project Hail Mary

A lone astronaut must save the earth from disaster in this incredible new science-based thriller from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Martian.

Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission--and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn't know that. He can't even remember his own name, let a
Expected publication: May 4th 2021 by Ballantine Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 04, 2021
    ENTER TO WIN A GALLEY OF PROJECT HAIL MARY BY ANDY WEIR!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 3252 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 27 - Nov 26, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Project Hail Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Hail Mary

Start your review of Project Hail Mary
    Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
    Say what?! *adds to never-ending TBR*
    Jenna
    Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Update 10/01/20:

Friends, let me tell you. Project Hail Mary is INCREDIBLE!

I finished it last night and I'm still floating around in zero gravity on that spaceship this morning.

Wow! This is one hell of a story and I would love to tell you more, but as per the publisher's request, my full review will be posted on the book's publication date.

Add this book to your to-read list, because you will not want to miss it. It's absolutely amazing. Both literally and figuratively out of this world!

--------
    Paperflame
    Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Oh, I really loved this! This book takes everything that was great about The Martian and adds a wonderful new element (which I’m not going to mention, to avoid spoilers). I like how all of the science elements are worked out in such detail, but not to such a degree that it bogs down the story (and easy enough for me, a non-scientist, to follow).
    Cheryl
    Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    So so good! What an original story full of everything and more that made the Martian one of my favorite books. Put it on your TBR list and you won’t regret it!
    Jun 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: bookmark
    New novel from Andy Weir, to be released May 4, 2021 by Penguin Random House.

Project Hail Mary is about an astronaut who wakes up on a space ship alone, with no memory of how he got there and two dead crewmates. He soon discovers that he is the only person who can save humanity from extinction.
    J Wells
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Stacy
    Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing

5 stars

Thanks to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Dr. Ryland Grace wakes up from a long sleep on a spaceship with no memories. His two crewmates are dead and he has no idea where he is or how long he was asleep. Grace has a lot to figure out in order to save the earth from an extinction level event with help from a unique partner. The novel switches from current Grace to the past as his memories start to return.

What a brilliant and fun
    Meg (fairy.bookmother)
    Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This was SO much fun! It's a throwback to the humor and style of The Martian, and I LOVE the conversations between Grace and Rocky.

Review to come!
    April Gray
    Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Project Hail Mary is a return to the same energy of The Martian. Its that humor-in-an-almost-hopeless-situation quality that made the story of Mark Watney so much fun. Andy Weir once again manages to use science to bring an engaging and thrilling narrative to the page without making it feel 'too smart' or hard to follow.. The story of Dr. Ryland Grace unfolds in stages and you learn his history at the same time he does, which helps the story to unfold in a very organic way, but everything is not ...more
    Shana
    Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: scifi, arc
    I received a copy of this book from NetGalley, and I just finished it on my way to work this morning. I loved this book, and couldn’t wait to get back to reading it on my train rides to and from work. The story is exciting, and the characters are engaging. This book is everything I loved about The Martian and more. There is a LOT of science in this book, but I was still able to follow it even when I didn’t totally understand all the explanations. I was a little worried about whether the story wo ...more
    Kristen
    Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I enjoyed this very much, more similar in writing to The Martian than Artemis was. Once again, the Science is complex, but the story of saving the earth from impending doom coupled with an ET like friendship, made this a captivating read.
    Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    This was TERRIFIC- even better than The Martian, and I really loved The Martian. There’s a whole other level or two to this novel, but I’ll avoid spoilers. Just mark your calendar and add this one to your TBR list.
    Pamela
    Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    All that was great about The Martian PLUS (super secret, not-allowed-to-give-away information).

Read it. You’ll love it. Lots of science; lots of adventure; lots of “saving the world.”
    Samuel
    Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book was provided to me by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is fantastic. A man wakes up in a room with 2 dead bodies and absolutely no idea who he is, where he is, or why he's there. As he gains more and more of his memories, he learns of the devastation that is facing the Earth and what he's trying to do to stop it. What unfolds is a fascinating exploration of scientific success and failure. This book leans much more heavily on The Martian than it does on Artemis, so i
    L.A. Barnes
    Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I should start off by saying I loved Andy Weir's The Martian. I've read it like three times. I still don't understand the science but I enjoy Weir's explanations of the science. Project Hail Mary is Weir's third novel. It begins with our unnamed protagonist waking up from a coma with memory loss. He gradually realizes that he had two companions but both are now dead. His only help is a pair of robot arms that hand him food and deal with medical issues. Oh and they stop him from leaving the room ...more
    Megan Eggers
    Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I couldn’t believe my luck when I was approved to review the Netgalley pre-release ebook of this science fiction novel. I’ve been a fan of Andy Weir’s since The Martian came out and I’ve been waiting for his next piece in breathless anticipation (as such my comments should probably be taken with a grain of salt). Keeping that in mind, I will now proceed to singing the various praises that this wonder of a novel deserves.
    We open this fast paced, intricate, and utterly engrossing novel with the aw
    Oct 21, 2020 added it
    Shelves: 2020, arc, sf, netgalley
    As much as I enjoyed The Martian, getting into Artemis was difficult so I'm delighted that Andy Weir's third novel, Project Hail Mary is an absolute winner.

Ryland Grace wakes up not knowing where he is or even what his name is. He discovers he's on a spaceship and his two crewmates are dead. Where is he going and what's his mission?

This is Weir at his absolute best. Writing a nerdy guy facing a life or death crisis and sciencing his way out of it. Alternating current Grace trying to figure out w
    probooknerd
    Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I thoroughly enjoyed Andy Weir's new book. The premise itself is extremely interesting, and Weir is able to navigate much of the complicated science quite well for his readers. In the same vein as The Martian, this is a book heavy on science (i.e. jargon, problems, questions, explanations etc...) and finding the balance between simply getting though the science while moving the story along is certainly a challenge. Weir continues to do this quite well, although I will admit to skimming through s ...more
    Ron
    Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    All the humor and wit of The Martian fused with the tenacity and tension of the Interstellar soundtrack. That’s how I’d describe this novel in a few words. More broadly speaking however, this is Andy’s best novel to date and in some ways, his most ambitious as well. This time around he leans more into the sci-fi elements of the story and stretches modern science to meticulously build the world this story takes place in. I found myself almost immediately taken with Ryland Grace, his humor, and th ...more
    Cheryl
    Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This is another good sci-fi thriller from Andy Weir. Dr. Ryland Grace, a scientist and middle school teacher, finds himself on a mission to save the planet. Upon awakening from his induced 'space coma' and learning that his crew mates have died, it takes him some time to get up to speed and recover his memories.

A bit panic-stricken at finding himself all alone light-years from earth, he ends up encountering another spaceship and another sole survivor from that crew. Rocky, a spider-like alien wi
    Nialla42
    Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Andy Weir’s latest has similar vibes to “The Martian”, complete with a man trying to science the sh*t out of things to survive in an unforgiving environment.

Ryland Grace is the sole survivor of his crew, suffering memory loss after an induced coma to survive nearly four year of space travel. No one is there to help him, this is a last ditch effort to save humanity, and if he fails, Earth only has few decades left.

I wasn’t sure if the memory loss aspect was going to work for me, but I like how it
    Melanie
    Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020
    Wow! Andy Weir has done it again and I think this one might be better than The Martian. All the right tension and drama, heartbreak and hope, and quite a bit of humor. The reader cares about the characters and roots for their survival against impossible odds. This is a survival story at it most basic form but on top of that it is about cooperation, friendship despite major differences, and sacrifice without selfishness.

Warning: this book has a lot of science (it is 'science' fiction after all) b
    Irene
    Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. Okay, I'll admit that I was ready to give up on the book because of the first chapters and all the technical and scientific calculations and theories that were being discussed. OMGoodness, in the words of Rocky, “happy, happy, happy!” that I continued reading. Friendships, betrayals, space travel, world saving, edge of your seat suspense, aliens, humor and more is packed into story. Even the science and experiments became interesting. Highly recommended.

Angie Gaule
    Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is Andy Weir at his best. The low number of characters means that he can focus on characterization, while the high action content moves the story along at a quick pace. There is so little that can be said without giving away plot points, because all of the really good stuff is also the stuff that makes this story one of the finest in the science fiction genre. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
    Jess
    Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: sci-fi
    I might change my rating later - this was a lot to take in, but it was interesting. Lots of what I expected from Weir - science, calculations, one person charged with accomplishing something one person would never be reasonably expected to do on their own - and some things that I didn't expect - but that would be spoilers. Definitely worth checking out when it comes out, and I look forward to seeing who narrates it (and how, for that matter).
    Matt
    Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    If The Martian was a 5, and Artemis was a 3, Project Hail Mary is firmly a 4. Definitely a return to the "light-hearted science guy uses science to solve science problems" formula that made Martian so enjoyable. Honestly, though, I think Weir over-scienced it a bit this time, as I found it kind of tedious at times. And man, I appreciate that Weir wants to try writing strong female characters, but he's just so bad at it. At least she was only a side-player this time.
    Cressa
    Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc
    Yes! Yes ! Yes! This is the book that I wanted from Andy Weir. I think that it even surpasses The Martian. The story is told both in current time and in flashbacks which added to the tension. Our main character is relatable and so human it hurts at one point. The science is both believable and understandable, which is really hard to do. I think that the ending was absolutely perfect. I have already added this book to the purchase list for our library.

ARC from netgalley.
    Katherine
    Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    So much fun! Everything was done well. I really enjoyed the process of discovering what happened in the past through Grace's recovering memory. This new book is written in a similar way as "The Martian" with humor and lots of math and science which gets explained really well. I was a bit worried about how things would wrap up at the end, but I'm very happy with the ending too. Thanks to NetGalley and Random House for the ARC!
    Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    So good. All the stars. I’m even prepared to say it’s better than The Martian. The character was still sassy and resilient, but unique from Watney in a way the author didn’t quite manage with Artemis. The pacing is perfect! The ending was satisfying and (spoiler?) hopeful. There was a lot of math and science, which I probably didn’t understand but which all seemed totally plausible and did it’s job of setting the tone and immersing the reader.
    Deirdre Rosenberg
    Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020
    I thought this novel was absolutely excellent! I have enjoyed Weir’s other books, but this one is simply much better- it’s got a great premise and plot with phenomenal timing and characters. I was never bored, tired or bothered by any aspect of this book, and I think that says a lot, as it’s not particularly short! This will be a pretty timeless book, I imagine.

• The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
    • If It Bleeds
    • The Survivors
    • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
    • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
    • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
    • Cujo
    • The Fountains of Paradise
    • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
    • Revival
    • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
    • Room-maid
    • The Comeback
    • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
    • Moriarty (Horowitz's Holmes, #2)
    • The Searcher
    • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
    ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more