Start by marking “Project Hail Mary” as Want to Read:

Project Hail Mary

A lone astronaut must save the earth from disaster in this incredible new science-based thriller from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Martian.

Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission--and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn't know that. He can't even remember his own name, let a
Expected publication: May 4th 2021 by Ballantine Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 04, 2021
    ENTER TO WIN A GALLEY OF PROJECT HAIL MARY BY ANDY WEIR!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 8622 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 04 - Feb 03, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Project Hail Mary
    Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
    Say what?! *adds to never-ending TBR*
    Jenna
    Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Update 10/01/20:

Friends, let me tell you. Project Hail Mary is INCREDIBLE!

I finished it last night and I'm still floating around in zero gravity on that spaceship this morning.

Wow! This is one hell of a story and I would love to tell you more, but as per the publisher's request, my full review will be posted on the book's publication date.

Add this book to your to-read list, because you will not want to miss it. It's absolutely amazing. Both literally and figuratively out of this world!

--------
    Jenny Lawson
    Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I'm not entirely smart enough to understand all of this book but what I did understand I loved. ...more
    Paperflame
    Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Oh, I really loved this! This book takes everything that was great about The Martian and adds a wonderful new element (which I’m not going to mention, to avoid spoilers). I like how all of the science elements are worked out in such detail, but not to such a degree that it bogs down the story (and easy enough for me, a non-scientist, to follow).
    Carlos
    Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    4.5 stars for this book.Thanks so much to the folks at Netgalley for giving me access to this ARC of Andy Weir oncoming book. While I can’t give away too many aspects of this book for fear of spoiling it for future readers but what I can say is that if you love the Martian and how the science was represented in it then you will appreciate this book too. The book is told in a back to back format with one chapter dedicated to the main character remembering how they got to this position (alone in a ...more
    FanFiAddict
    Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Rating: 9.5/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for an advance reading copy of Project Hail Mary for review consideration. This did not influence my thoughts or opinions.

Project Hail Mary is The Martian turned up to 11. This is Weir’s best novel to date, and that is certainly saying something when the same author wrote one of the best science fiction novels (and debuts) of all-time just under a decade ago.

Liked Mark Watney? You’ll love Ryland Grace.

So, I loved The Martian. I thought it was one
    sol
    Dec 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: science-fiction
    maybe this will actually motivate me to read the martian
    bc at this point it is getting ridiculous
    Cheryl (The Crafty Librarian)
    So so good! What an original story full of everything and more that made the Martian one of my favorite books. Put it on your TBR list and you won’t regret it!
    Jun 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: bookmark
    New novel from Andy Weir, to be released May 4, 2021 by Penguin Random House.

Project Hail Mary is about an astronaut who wakes up on a space ship alone, with no memory of how he got there and two dead crewmates. He soon discovers that he is the only person who can save humanity from extinction.
    Elizabeth
    Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I was so happy to get an advance reader copy of this book! I absolutely love his books The Martian and Artemis.

This book has some similar elements to the other two: lots of science, a likeable and funny protagonist, and space. In some ways it is very different but I can't specify exactly how without giving too much away.

Suffice it to say I loved this book very much. I will be buying it in multiple formats for my library and I'll read it again, as I have his other titles. This author is wonderf
    Pamela
    Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    All that was great about The Martian PLUS (super secret, not-allowed-to-give-away information).

Read it. You’ll love it. Lots of science; lots of adventure; lots of “saving the world.”
    Meg (fairy.bookmother)
    Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This was SO much fun! It's a throwback to the humor and style of The Martian, and I LOVE the conversations between Grace and Rocky.

Review to come!
    J Wells
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Robin
    Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Fantastic. Loved the ending while also wishing it had ended differently. I can't wait for everyone to read this. ...more
    Anna
    Jan 05, 2021 marked it as unreleased
    I loved The Martian so hopefully this book doesn't disappoint!!! ...more
    Stacy
    Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing

5 stars

Thanks to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Dr. Ryland Grace wakes up from a long sleep on a spaceship with no memories. His two crewmates are dead and he has no idea where he is or how long he was asleep. Grace has a lot to figure out in order to save the earth from an extinction level event with help from a unique partner. The novel switches from current Grace to the past as his memories start to return.

What a brilliant and fun
    Anastasia
    Nov 05, 2020 marked it as maybe
    I have heard some bad reviews about Artemis and so I haven't read it, but I loved the Martian, so I might read this after the reviews of people I trust come out. ...more
    Emily
    Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is an amazing book that was challenging for me to put down in the middle of the holidays. I wish I were smart enough for all the science and math details but even with that the story is captivating. I was on the edge of my seat rooting for success the entire time. While I was reading I had no trouble at all picturing this as a movie.

Thank you goodreads for the chance to read this before the book release.
    April Gray
    Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Project Hail Mary is a return to the same energy of The Martian. Its that humor-in-an-almost-hopeless-situation quality that made the story of Mark Watney so much fun. Andy Weir once again manages to use science to bring an engaging and thrilling narrative to the page without making it feel 'too smart' or hard to follow.. The story of Dr. Ryland Grace unfolds in stages and you learn his history at the same time he does, which helps the story to unfold in a very organic way, but everything is not ...more
    Katie
    Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Weird and wonderful. I think people are going go absolutely love this book. It has the feel of The Martian which is wonderful. I skimmed some of the technical stuff but I loved it all. The ending was great. I can't wait until everyone reads it! ...more
    Kathy
    Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: science_fiction
    John Adkins
    Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: earc, 2020
    Andy Weir (The Martian, Artemis) has another hit and likely a hit movie on his hands. Project Hail Mary begins with scientists noticing a small but accelerating dimming of the sun. Research shows an path between the sun and the planet Venus. Scientists quickly discover that if nothing is done that the sun will dim to the point of making human life on Earth very difficult leading to a mass extinction event. Thus, Project Hail Mary is born. The top minds from across the Earth pull together to figu ...more
    Amy Verkruissen
    Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    So if you loved Andy Weir's book The Martian, I honestly think that you'll love Project Hail Mary. Set in the near future, scientists and astronomers discover that the sun's strength is decreasing. They are projecting a 30 year timeline where there will be a mass extinction event, both animal and human. In order to combat this a team of the worlds most brilliant minds is assembled to figure out how to fix this. Among this team is our protagonist. Dr. Ryland Grace, ex-scientist current middle sch ...more
    Cressa
    Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc
    Yes! Yes ! Yes! This is the book that I wanted from Andy Weir. I think that it even surpasses The Martian. The story is told both in current time and in flashbacks which added to the tension. Our main character is relatable and so human it hurts at one point. The science is both believable and understandable, which is really hard to do. I think that the ending was absolutely perfect. I have already added this book to the purchase list for our library.

ARC from netgalley.
    Shana
    Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc, scifi
    I received a copy of this book from NetGalley, and I just finished it on my way to work this morning. I loved this book, and couldn’t wait to get back to reading it on my train rides to and from work. The story is exciting, and the characters are engaging. This book is everything I loved about The Martian and more. There is a LOT of science in this book, but I was still able to follow it even when I didn’t totally understand all the explanations. I was a little worried about whether the story wo ...more
    Kristen
    Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I enjoyed this very much, more similar in writing to The Martian than Artemis was. Once again, the Science is complex, but the story of saving the earth from impending doom coupled with an ET like friendship, made this a captivating read.
    Kevin Parsons
    Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Like many, I really liked “The Martian” and liked but did not love “Artemis.” This book has much more of the spirit of “The Martian” and is filled with science and theories and ideas that move the story along. I will be very interested to see what he comes up with next. Highly recommend and thanks for the access to the arc.
    Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    This was TERRIFIC- even better than The Martian, and I really loved The Martian. There’s a whole other level or two to this novel, but I’ll avoid spoilers. Just mark your calendar and add this one to your TBR list.
    Stephanie
    Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Andy Weir always delivers a solid, enjoyable sci-fi story! Thanks to netgalley and publisher for ARC.
    Jamie
    Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    I'm in awe of Andy Weir. This complex, sci-fi book is smart, fast-paced, and action-packed. And it is very, VERY science-y, but Weir makes it amazingly accessible and understandable for us not-quite-as-science-y types. The story is fantasy, but believable and relatable. I couldn't put this one down at night. The fate of the entire universe on the hands of one guy and one impossible ally just isn't something you put down at night. ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    SciFi Book Club -...: May 2021 - 'Project Hail Mary 1 1 Jan 18, 2021 01:40PM
    ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more

• The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
    • People We Meet on Vacation
    • Malibu Rising
    • If It Bleeds
    • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
    • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
    • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
    • Cujo
    • The Fountains of Paradise
    • A History of What Comes Next (Take Them to the Stars, #1)
    • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
    • Revival
    • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
    • Roommaid
    • The Comeback
    • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
    • Every Vow You Break