Start by marking “Diva (Breathing Underwater, #2)” as Want to Read:
Diva (Breathing Underwater, #2)

Diva

(Breathing Underwater #2)

For most people, the word "diva" means brilliant, talented, over-the-top, and glamorous. I, however, seemed to be trapped in the not-very-glamorous life of a cheerleader wannabe with serious ex-boyfriend issues and a permanent yo-yo diet. At least until the day I auditioned for Miami High School of the Arts—and got in! All I had to do was convince my mother, the cosmetics

Published October 1st 2006 by HarperTeen (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Diva, please sign up.
Lexi Yes, technically. It is more like a companion novel because Nick is now in the background and we see from Caitlin's point of view a little while after…moreYes, technically. It is more like a companion novel because Nick is now in the background and we see from Caitlin's point of view a little while after the last novel ended. (less)

Start your review of Diva (Breathing Underwater, #2)
Anna
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who read Breathing Underwater
This isn't as good as Breathing Underwater, which is the companion novel that tells the "before" part of the story, where Nick actually abuses Caitlin. This picks up right where that book ended, just as Caitlin starts at her new performing arts high school in Miami. It's told through Caitlin's eyes, which is really quite interesting.

This is a worthwhile read and I appreciate that Alex Flinn goes into the nitty-gritty and truly tackles emotional issues instead of just glossing over them like a
Cassi Davila
Sep 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book was a horrible sequel. Alex Flinn did amazing at capturing the side of the young man's point of view, but failed to capture the hurt that Caitlin was still going through. She makes it seem like its too easy to get over a situation like that. And it's not.
Bridgette Redman
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Caitlin knows what she wants to be and it isn’t a cheerleader or the girlfriend of the hottest guy in high school. Caitlin wants to be a diva—the kind who sings opera while being showered with roses. She has the voice and the training for it—what remains to be seen is whether she can overcome her shyness and insecurity.

Readers of Alex Flinn will recognize Caitlin—she’s the abused girlfriend from Flinn’s critically acclaimed first novel, Breathing Underwater. She makes a reappearance in Flinn’s
Myndi
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to Breathing Underwater, but this time we get to see what's going on with Caitlin after the events of Breathing Underwater.

I love that we get to see the after affects of the abuse she suffered and how hard it is to move on from that. I also loved the little glimpses into Nick's life and how he's changing, but how that's not the focus of the story. The real meat is in Caitlin and her choices to be brave and move forward with her life.

I think the new friends Caitlin makes are
Hannah Timm
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response:
I really related a lot to Diva. The characters and plot are something easily to relate to since I am also involved in the arts. The connections created through all the characters were genuinely true, there was no fake friendship made to be true. I learned after reading the book that it is the 2nd book in the Breathing Underwater series which would explain little character description in the beginning, however Alex Flinn did a great job and I easily understood the characters.
Lucka
Caitlin is a sixteen years old girl, who enjoys singing opera. I mean wtf? But anyone who equips opera, equips fat singer. And our lovely Caith was fat too, and that's why she went to a slimming camp. Of course, she came back completely different.

I don't read Breathing Underwater yet, but I understood this poor girl has enough bad behind her. Which means she has right to act likea goose. Sorry, but are you sure you'd prosecute your ex-boyfriend just because you'll be have that moment with him in
Richie Partington
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
29 May 2006 DIVA by Alex Flinn, Harper Tempest, October 2006, ISBN: 0-06-056843-7; Libr. ISBN: 0-06-056845-3

"There's only one direction in the faces that I see;
It's upward to the ceiling, where the chamber's said to be.
Like the forest fight for sunlight, that takes root in every tree.
They are pulled up by the magnet, believing that they're free.
" --Genesis, "The Carpet Crawlers" from the rock opera, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Rock opera is about as close to opera as I usually get. But my
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Caitlin McCourt knew what she wanted and she intended to get it – even if her mom didn’t agree to it. Caitlin loved singing, especially the Opera and she would do everything to enter Miami High School of the Arts.

She actually used to be fat – really fat – but she went on a fat camp and shed at least 35 pounds. Then she became a pretty blond girl and eventually got a boyfriend. Too late when she realized, his boyfriend was from Hell.

Nick may have been wickedly hot, has nice car, brought flowers
Patrick
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novelist-reviews
A sort-a-sequel to Flinn's searing YA novel debut Breathing Underwater, but this time telling the story from the girl's POV. Caitlin, who was abused by her 16-year-old boyfriend, Nick, in Breathing Underwater, is trying to change her life, putting that relationship behind her, as well as focusing on her goal of becoming an opera singer by getting into the Miami High School for the Performing Arts. But even at a school of talented teens, she feels outcast at first, although friendships grow. At ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I enjoyed A Kiss in Time, and was feeling like I was in the mood for something light, so I went to the library and looted the shelves of Alex Flinn books. I was especially curious about this one — what would make a young American teenager decide that opera was the form for her? Except we don't really get that, at least in the pages that I read. We get Caitlin obsessing, wince-inducingly, over her weight, and typing in her online journal, with lots of text-speak. (2 and 4 instead of to and for, ...more
Nicole (( lost in the book's world ))
Don't get me wrong...I do love Alex Flinn's books but THIS BOOK?!?! Why all of her books are AMAZING but why not this book? I mean, this book doesn't excited as Breathing Underwater! I loved book, Breathing Underwater, because I was very curious about Nick's life. But Caitlin's life...is so boring! I thought I could know what Caitlin's feeling, thought, and FEELING about Nick that he did abused her. BUT...it didn't because it only explain what's happened to Caitlin after they broke up and blah ...more
Micah
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read this book everytime I had a some free time at the Eugene library. I actually liked this book. At first it was okay, and then towards the end I was a little annoyed with it, but the ending was actually very nice. I like the message that she doesn't need a boyfriend. That she can have a guy friends, and that's just fine. And in ways so much easier. Usually in these kind of books the main character needs to end up with someone, but it was nice that she found out that she didn't need to have ...more
Ilyse
Nov 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Where is Elza? I thought Caitlin's true best friends continued to stand by her at the end of Breathing Underwater.

Just reading a spoiler and knowing that she will reconcile with Nick-makes me really, really uncomfortable. Breathing Underwater ends on a hopeful note that if he commits to therapy and is really vigilant he can stop being an abuser and break the pattern of violence his father instilled in him. But I can't believe that he is so quickly redeemed.

Just listening to the beginning of him
Macklin
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was again a pleasant surprise. Before this I read Beastly and associate Alex Finn in general with fairytale retellings. Caitlin is a great character. I really like how even though she is dealing with past abuse and a fresh start, she is still so ready to enjoy life. I am also pleased that Caitlin loves opera. Just saw The Barber of Seville. Opera is the best and I wish more people went.
Darcy
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl who's an amazing opera singer and gets into a performing arts school in Miami. It's a great chic lit book (and you learn some opera stuff along the way!)
Megan
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!! Totally puts society thoughts to words!
Robert
Jan 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Hated it- snap! :)

I don't think ther are a lot of 40 year old men who would enjoy this book.
Meg
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sequel to Breathing Underwater... now we are finding out what life after Nick is like. Not as fast moving for me as the first novel, but still enjoyable, and worth reading.
Allison Sattizahn
Oct 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not a good book at all. I wanted to say forget and return it but since it's book number two for Breathing Underwater I felt like I needed to read it. Nothing good came out of it besides Caitlin getting two new better friends, wow yay not! Then when it came out that Sean was gay it killed the book just like that. :/
Noemi Amadeo
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely not as good as the first book but a decent read. I wish it didn’t leave so many loose ends though.
Sierra Sullivan
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex-flinn
I loved this book, and to be completely honest i'm not really sure why. Maybe it was the characters, maybe it was the plot, but I would definitely recommend it.
Megan
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as Breathing Underwater, but still okay.
Bailey Chetwynd
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read the book before this one back in November, but I could not remember much of the storyline for the first book. I went back and read some reviews and remembered some details, but I gave the first book a 2 star. It wasn't very memorable and I also gave this one a 2 star. The story would have been much better if the characters were developed better. Caitlin's mother was horrible. The only thing that tied the two stories together was the occasional pop up of Nick. Overall just not a fan of ...more
yyyasmin
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
What I liked about the book:
-Caitlin. Finally, an actual likable YA novel heroine (even though some of you may beg to differ, seeing as how she's so obsessed with her weight - but that makes her even more relatable and realistic, especially for an ex-fat girl). Fresh, yet not without emotional scarring, out of an abusive relationship with ex-boyfriend Nick (read Breathing Underwater - which is an even better book, I think), I could finally see her true character in this one. Her character isn't
julie martin
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ringo The Cat
After the abomination that was Beastly, I have to say that I was quite reluctant about reading anything that Alex Flinn had ever written before or after Beastly. So in between real books, Diva was the only book that was just lying there that I hadn’t read, and considering I had incredibly low expectations, I was happily surprised by the non-infantile plot and the girl-empowering message of this book… yes, Beastly really was that awful!

Considering my in-between books status, I also had no idea
Tiana
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, romance
I don't even know where to start, that's how much one can say about this book! It's not something that I can put down of paper and expect anyone to actually fully grasp what I'm rambling on about. It's definitely something that you need to read yourself, and they you'll be able to get why I'm saying what I'm saying... but I guess I'll start like this:

I usually don't pick up books that seem to have a first impression of being too girly, which is a bad habit that I've been trying to shake off for
Fatima
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response: I happen to have found this book very interesting. It should a lot about how teenagerse know feel and react to stuff. I loved how this book ended with a better relationship with her mother. Like some teens know do not get so along with their parents. This book i would say should a lot of feelings. This book should; how people are so self conscious on how they look, and on how to fit in with the crowd.
Plot: This story is about a girl named Caitlin. She tries really on an
Jacki
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-5-6
Ok, I just finished Diva about 10 minutes ago (and I found out that it was a sequel to it! I should probably read that). At first, I hated Caitlin because she was like, "I'm 113 lbs, I'm so fat!" and she complained about everything. And I mean everything. Her mom, her life, her friends, her tragic ex boyfriend experience. It's like, if you hate your friends, then why hang out with them? I mean, if your old friends hate you because you were mean to them, then go hang out with other people, NOT ...more
Brittany
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Diva 1 2 May 26, 2014 01:45PM

• Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls, #2)
  • 50 Ways To Find A Lover (Sarah Sargeant, #1)
  • 53 Letters for My Lover (53 Letters for My Lover, #1)
  • Girlfriend, Interrupted: From carefree twenty-something to instant mother-of-two...
  • Les Petites Reines
  • Requiem Vampire Knight Vol. 1: Resurrection and Danse Macabre (Requiem Vampire Knight #1)
  • Suicide Squad, Volume 2: Basilisk Rising
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)
  • Je peux très bien me passer de toi
  • Clockwork
  • I Called Him Necktie
  • Wir sehen uns beim Happy End
  • Ten Dead Comedians: A Murder Mystery
  • The Sherlockian
  • These Days of Ours
  • Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales
  • Badhytten: Det som göms i sand kommer fram ibland (Mord i Falsterbo #1)
  • Crowned by Hate (Crowned #1)
I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced my interest in witches. When I was five, my mom said I should be an author. And when I was eight, I got my first rejection letter from Highlights Magazine.

I learned to read early. But I compensated for this early proficiency by absolutely refusing to read the programmed readers required by the school

Breathing Underwater (2 books)
  • Breathing Underwater (Breathing Underwater, #1)
“This is who I am. This is what I love. This is who I am. I know that I can do it, and it’s what I want to do more than anything. And I realize I have to do anything I can to make it happen, even if it means leaving other things behind.” 1 likes