Start by marking “Alfie Carter: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Alfie Carter: A Novel

Alfie Carter: A Novel

The seemingly never-ending Cabinda War (1975—) has left multitudes dead in its wake and thousands of children homeless and orphaned. Jackaleena N’denga, a young Angolan girl, has become the sole survivor of one specifically brutal village massacre carried out by a band of guerrilla boy-soldiers.

Jackaleena’s resilience leads her to an orphanage on the west coast of Africa,
Published January 19th 2021 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about Alfie Carter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfie Carter

Start your review of Alfie Carter: A Novel
Bandit
Dec 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Since I’m the first person to rate and review this book, it seems like the best thing to do would be to just warn people away from it, try to save them some time and/or money. It’s sad, it’s always sad when a book fails so dramatically, but in this case very much necessary.
Why did I even read it? Well, because I often try new random things and I’ve had generally pretty good experience with this publisher, in fact this might very well be the proverbial one off, the perfect dud for them. And bec
Maida
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alfie Carter is an affecting story of finding faith and of losing and rediscovering deeply-held beliefs. With its characters examining the state of their spiritual life, it’s a timely read for this holy season of Lent. It is also a tale of harrowing cruelty, extraordinary bravery, careless disregard for others, incredible kindness, and unbelievable acts of forgiveness.

Content notes: violent massacre, on-page death scenes and descriptions of crimes

See my full review on my blog Carpe Diem Chronicl
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, books-to-review
Every now and then a book will come along with a message that is fitting to the times we live in and how we should be living that life.

"..we are the world's worst at condemning folks that we think need condemning. The man that stole the car, the people on the scourge of drugs with no way out. All of the things that can beset us if we ain't careful. I have done it myself in my work. What right do we have to condemn them?"

This is a story of two lives intersecting at a critical time for all parties
Christena
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“God knew what he was a doing when he was a balancing out the food chain and so forth.”

Alfie Carter caught me by quite a surprise. While I was expecting something along the lines of a strong character-driven story, which indeed it is… It gave me something considerably more. It became like an earthquake that gave me pause to think by looking at a different interpretation of wildlife and nature. A bit more on this later.

Alfie Carter relates two different character stories which come together seaml
Mike
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Alfie Carter is a wonderful story that tugs at the heart strings, and will quickly place the reader in an empathetic mood. There were many aspects to this book that I very much enjoyed, yet there were a few things that I did not enjoy as much. I’ll cover both in this review.

The book is essentially two separate storylines that intersect at some point. One story follows the path of a preteen African girl, from the time her small village is attacked until she ultimately ends up in Texas. The other
Ruthie Jones
“Sometimes life does not play fair.”

Alfie Carter by BJ Mayo is an intriguing story that will shred your heart and then knit it back together with threads of love, compassion, forgiveness, and healing. Alfie Carter is laced with Christian references and prayer and relies heavily on the theme of following God’s ultimate plan for each of us, encouraging us all to pursue and accept our unique purposes in life.

Two stories are told in parallel throughout most of the book before colliding together in s
Melissa
Alfie Carter is one of those novels that should be on everyone's reading list, because it's such a well-crafted, compelling story. Actually, it's two stories that become entangled at the end of the book, but even though Jackaleena's story begins in Africa and involves some horrific scenes of the type typically only seen in 30-second clips on CNN, and Alfie's begins with him climbing a mountain to spend some time camping in order to get out of his own head, the themes are the same: identity, purp ...more
Kimmie
Mar 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
The story of Alfie Carter and Jackaleena N’Denga was so much more than the synopsis gives mention too.

Alfie Carter starts out in a courtroom and comes full circle, in many senses of the word. So that by the end of the story, we are right back in that same courtroom having gleaned so much more understanding into the lives of some remarkable people.

The story is told in a back-and-forth way between two people’s lives that seem totally disconnected until a light bulb turns on spectacularly towards
Jennie Rosenblum
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
As I began reading this book I saw two parallel stories, never imagining the twist that would happen to artistically weave them together. Jackaleena is a young girl with an iron will and the sole survivor of her village. She bravely finds a way to not only continue through the atrocities being carried out in African villages, but also finds her purpose. Her story is told in a sensible manner from the eyes of a sheltered but mature person.

Alfie – not Alfred - is a wounded man. As a workaholic de
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Some families aren't born but made. Some people are broken to learn how to protect others from breaking. Alfie Carter is a difficult book to peg down. From the cover, we instantly envision the story of a young family on the Texas ranch. I imagined a story of damaged souls coming together to find family and happiness. While this assumption isn't too far off the mark, the actual story is much more complicated. And the image we see on the cover isn't something we will see until much closer to the e ...more
Maryann
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
There are many aspects of this book that I thoroughly enjoyed. The two central characters, Jackaleena and Alfie top the list. Second to that is the great descriptions of the settings, and I enjoyed going into the mountains with Alfie on his annual self-exile where he could see the stars so clearly and hear the baying of the coyotes. While familiar with that night sound, I didn’t know that the baying sometimes was a way to have members of the pack check in with each other. That was an interesting ...more
Lorilei Gonzales
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Alfie Carter by BJ Mayo is a book that cannot be judged by its cover. Don’t get me wrong, the cover is quite beautiful, as is the heart of the story. But that does not begin to touch the darkness contained within its pages and the resilience of the characters to overcome it. If you were to pick this book up with the intent of reading a fluffy, inspirational novel, you would be rocked to your core.

The premise of the book is very interesting and, to be completely honest, had so much going on that
Mike Perry
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

The characters are so real they become friends quickly. Can't wait to read the rest of the story. Alfie is so well written that most men will relate and see some of themselves in him.
Lone Star Literary Life
Featured on Lone Star Book Blog Tours. Lone Star Blogger Team average rating: 4.18 stars. ...more
Esil

• Factor-7
  • Grand Openings Can Be Murder
  • Operation Navajo: A Tracker Novel
  • The Love Note
  • Mia and Nattie: One Great Team!
  • The Marriage Pass
  • Aircrew Confidential: The Unauthorized Airline Chronicles
  • The Widow Catcher
  • Every Last Fear
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Sweet Memories (Love So Sweet, #1)
  • The Kissing Tree: Four Novellas Rooted in Timeless Love