Start by marking “Suspicion and Faith: The Religious Uses of Modern Atheism” as Want to Read:
Suspicion and Faith: The Religious Uses of Modern Atheism

Suspicion and Faith: The Religious Uses of Modern Atheism

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
While skepticism directs its critique to the truth or evidential basis of belief, suspicion asks two different, intimately intertwined questions: what are the motives that lead to this belief? and what function does it play, what work does it do for the individuals and communities that adopt it? What suspicion suspects is that the survival value of religious beliefs depend ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Fordham University Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Suspicion and Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suspicion and Faith

David
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Westphal's central thesis in this book is that Christians should take the atheism of Freud, Marx and Nietzsche "should be taken seriously as a stimulus to self-examination rather than refuted as error" (x). Reading through the sharp critics of religion from these men we find they are often echoing the words of scripture, specifically the prophets and Jesus.

These three are not evidential atheists, skeptical of religion due to lack of evidence. Rather, they are suspicious of religious claims. The
Doina
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-for-thought
interesting look at belief and suspicion, incorporating the theories of marx, nietzche and freud.
Fernando Navarro
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the greatest books that I have read. In my opinion, profound and insightful.

I had a really great time analyzing myself and the funny fact of it is that I got help from Freud, Marx and Nietzsche.

I have always believed that as Christians we should read atheist authors, of course the good ones, so that we can understand the atheism side, but I never thought as Merold Westphal did.

We, Christians, tend to close our eyes and cover our ears to the atheist world but now I think it is a
Jonathan
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all modern Christians. There is a tendency in Christian culture to run away from "secular minds" but Westphal encourages the believer to consider the critique of these secular minds. They bring an outsiders perspective into what we really believe. Their critique ought to cause Christians to not just think about what they believe, but the motives behind our beliefs.

Westphal was able to demonstrate out the voice of the prophets bleed through the critiques of these atheisti
Chuck Bonadies
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Westphal allows the three atheist (Freud, Marx and Nietzsche) to critique religion. The book is very philosophical and by no means easy reading.

Those who hold a moralistic, legalistic view of Christianity will find this book highly offensive. Those who understand salvation by grace alone will find this book quite fascinating, even at the points of disagreement.

CB
Dwight Davis
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful introduction to Freud, Marx, and Nietzsche that neither deifies them nor demonizes them. Fair and even-handed. Highly recommended.
Christian Bass