Start by marking “Little Falls: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Little Falls: A Novel

Little Falls: A Novel

She tried to forget the horrors of war--but her quiet hometown conceals a litany of new evils.

Sergeant Camille Waresch did everything she could to forget Iraq. She went home to Eastern Washington and got a quiet job. She connected with her daughter, Sophie, whom she had left as a baby. She got sober. But the ghosts of her past were never far behind.

While conducting a routi
Kindle Edition
Published August 11th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Little Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Falls

Start your review of Little Falls: A Novel
"Avonna
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

Little Falls by Elizabeth Lewes is an intense debut suspense/thriller/mystery mash-up from this author and I would be interested in seeing it become a series. I was pulled right into the story which not only has plenty of action and suspense, but it is seen by the reader through the eyes of the main character who is still suffering from PTSD after returning from service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Camille Waresch returned to her small
Jean Roberts
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Falls by Elizabeth Lewes
Published: August 2020
Publisher: Crooked Lane Books
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Available: Hardcover, audio, ebook

Violence: 😨 yes, some description of torture
Sexual Content: 💗 mild

About the Author: Elizabeth Lewes is a veteran of the United States Navy who served during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. An analyst and linguist by training, she now practices law in Seattle. Little Falls is her debut novel.

Book Blurb: From Penguin Random House comes d
Hannah Symonds
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Camille is home from Iraq, even though she tries to forget that place it is always in her mind, she tries to get back to a normal routine and time in her life but will that ever happen? on her job at an isolated ranch she finds a shocking discovery, she has flashbacks to the past and everything comes back to haunt her, can she work out what happened or will her past catch up with er? I liked this story it was gripping and I wanted to race through it to find out what happened. I liked Camille and ...more
Jacqueline  sharp
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Camille is back in her hometown of Little Falls, population 72. Trying to get her life back together, after being away in Iraq with the army, leaving her baby daughter Sophie to be raised by her family.

Sophie isn’t the easiest of people to get on with, she has recently lost her grandfather, the person who has mostly raised her. She is a teenager with all the baggage that comes with. To top it off she is mixing with the wrong crowd, a crowd that could get her into big trouble. For her mum to come
Kristen Ludwigsen
WOW. Can you say gripping one more time? I really enjoyed this thriller that was so much more than just an edge of your seat good time. Themes of war and PTSD in the book bring to light so many issues our veterans are forced to face, too often alone. I highly recommend this amazing mystery.
Emily
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, pnw
A great read that will keep you enthralled with well-written setting, suspense, and characters. Also interesting to see through the eyes of a female Navy vet. I always love a small town murder-mystery, and this one is done very well!
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
I received a copy of Little Falls in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Little Falls is Elizabeth Lewes' debut novel, a thriller of epic proportions that merges together the past and the present into one intense read.

Sargeant Camille Waresch's life hasn't been the same since she came back from Iraq. She tried to put it all behind her, but life doesn't work that way. Now she's juggling two jobs, an estranged daughter, and PTSD, all while trying to live a normal life.

All of that was before s
Kathleen Gray
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Camille's trying to keep it together as best she can after returning from Iraq. She's conquering her addiction but the demons of her PTSD resurface more than she, or anyone would like. She's trying to rebuild her relationship with her teenage daughter Sophie who is also grieving the death of her grandfather and is, in general, what one might expect from a teen in her situation. Out one day to do an assessment as part of her job, Camille finds the hanging body of Patrick, who has also been tortur ...more
Darcia Helle
Little Falls is a dark, intense, slowburn mystery with a strong focus on characters.

Camille, our main character, is an unreliable narrator in the sense that she doesn’t always trust her own perception, making it difficult for us to trust what she tells us. I struggled with her. She made me uncomfortable because I didn’t always like her, and I was sometimes appalled by her judgement and behavior. But the beauty of the writing here is that I also understood her, and I sympathized, even when I want
Dawnny
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sergeant Camille Waresch wants to leave the war behind her. When she finds a teenager hanging and tortured in an old building, everything comes rushing back to her. Suffering from PTSD the hanging brings memories of a young soldier. Her dreams start mixing with her memories. When Camille starts to investigate things leads her to a jealous younger brother and her own daughter. Then her daughter disappears. The closer Camille gets to the truth the more explosive this becomes. This was a page Turne ...more
Kathy Martin
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a tense but somewhat odd mystery. I was drawn in to the world where Camille Waresh lives. She is a Vet who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and came home with PTSD. She had left her infant daughter with her parents when she joined the service. But now with both of her parents gone, she is struggling with connecting with her now 15-year-old daughter.

Camille works as an assessor for her county. One day she discovers the hanging body of a young man when she goes to look at a property. The d
Faith Hurst-Bilinski
Little Falls was more than a murder mystery story. It used that story to delve into PTSD, dealing with past choices, and readjusting to normal life after military service. Parts were a little hard to read. Camille is trying to adjust to her new life and finding a hanging and tortured man triggers the experiences she had in her time in the service. Regardless of that, she cannot let it go.

This book is short but heavy on some subjects that many may find triggering. Be aware of that and you will f
Meredith Rankin
Debut author Elizabeth Lewes tells a haunting story of trauma, justice, and redemption in Little Falls.

This story is a tense, action packed book. If you want for plenty of gun fights, explosions, and desperate chases, with the clock ticking a countdown toward certain death, this book will satisfy you. And if you like cliff-hanger endings, it's got you covered, too.

But it’s also a book with interesting insights into the deceptions of memory, and the way trauma impacts humans and how they think,
Aida Alberto
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really enjoyable. Love reading about the broken strong women putting their lives together Camille is a character I really enjoyed. Full of action and suspense you won't put it down until the last page. Happy reading! #LittleFalls #NetGalley
Emily Quinn
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping and show-stopping novel from this author. I feel a bit lost for what to do with myself now I’ve finished! This book had me sitting for hours on end, desperate to find out answers, and is perfect for anyone looking for such a complex, involving story line you can really get your teeth into. I was completely blown away with how well this book is written and Camille’s character and her PTSD was so well crafted. The author is such a talented writer and I can’t wait to read more work from ...more
Kathleen
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Little Falls, author Elizabeth Lewes weaves an intriguing dark noir mystery tale that follows military veteran Sergeant Camille Waresch as she takes it upon herself to investigate the horrific tortured death of nineteen year old Patrick Beale.

This dark noir mystery tale is set in Little Falls, Washington. Camille Waresch is a military veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. She came home with the horrors of war, and has a hard time struggling with PTSD. She tries to get normalcy in her life
Jenn Z at That's What She's Reading
description

This was such a fantastic read that will greatly appeal to fans of thrillers, suspense, and action. The story also gives some slight cozy mystery vibes with the amateur sleuth and a home town that has become quite secretive, but there is so much more at stake and a lot grittier, making it a great transition into darker mysteries and thrillers if you haven't indulged before. Should this become a series, I can't wait to see more of Camille in action!

Camille is an incredibly well developed characte
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Little Falls by Elizabeth Lewes is a debut novel which has elements of thriller, mystery and suspense weaved into the story.Camille has returned home from Iraq, after serving time over there in the Army. She comes back to a daughter she left as a baby, who is now a teenager. She is faced with a girl who is grieving for her grandad and who is a typical teen along with mixing with the wrong crowd. Camille truly doesn't understand how to parent, she loves her daughter but has been away for so long ...more
Felicia
Finding a tortured dead body hanging in a barn rattles county assessor Camille Waresch, but it doesn’t shock her. Struggling with PTSD, she thinks back to the other body she found. Her soldier. Her responsibility.

When she’s tapped by the medical examiner to help with the initial crime scene examination, Camille realizes though separated by years and thousands of miles, there are too many similarities in both deaths.

Though she’s warned several times, Camille continues with her own investigation.
Shelly
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Lewes has astounded me with her debut novel. It's one of those books that your hands end up hurting because you're gripping it so hard as you focus. We get to experience the PTSD that Camille is living with by viewing the story from her POV. It doesn't take long to question if what she's experiencing is real or a part of her condition.

Her return to civilian life is challenging and often frustrating. Adding a teenager to the mix really ups the stakes of day-to-day survival for Camille.
Ashley Hubbard
I received a copy of Little Falls in exchange for my honest review.

**3.5 stars rounded up to 4**

Little Falls is Elizabeth Lewes’s debut novel – a suspenseful mystery and crime novel that could easily turn into a series.

The story is told from the POV of Camille Wareach and is set in her very small hometown of Little Falls, Washington. After serving several tours of duty as a frontline medic, she has returned home to try to pick up the pieces of her life, reconnect (or connect for the first time
Joan
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This novel was a little dark for me. The heroine, Camille is a troubled woman and inadequate mother to her young teen. She certainly suffers from PTSD and that is portrayed well. She makes many wrong decisions and says things she shouldn't up to the very end. That just did not sit well with me. I like characters who, though deeply flawed, try to be the best they can be. I did not see much of a character transformation here.

I liked the location in my native Washington State. I do wish Lewes had d
Satabdi
(I received a review copy from Kristen at Mindbuck Media Book Publicity in exchange for an honest review.)

Little Falls is a hard-hitting, fast-paced novel describing the debilitating effects of PTSD on war veterans and the trouble they face reintegrating into regular society. I remember phrases like "battle-crazy" being used in the book to describe how the psychological troubles of soldiers are viewed.

The book also describes the undeniable bond of love between mother and child, which causes peop
Pamela Scott
https://thebookloversboudoir.wordpres... never heard of the author before but this sounded like a good thriller. I really enjoyed this book. It’s the kind of thriller I enjoy the most; fast paced, full of twists and turns, compelling storyline and well-written characters. Camille is a great character; she reminds me a lot of Dex in the TV show Stumptown. She’s a complex person, suffering from PTSD, trying to hide from the horrors she saw in Iraq by getting a ‘normal job’ but struggling to keep i ...more
Aaron
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very strong debut.

From Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe and Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade to modern examples like Laurie R. King's Kate Martinelli and Kathy Reichs' Dr. Temperance Brennan I've always had a soft spot for mysteries with strong and memorable characters. Lewes' Camille Waresch sits comfortably among these. Broken (though mending) and eminently relatable, Waresch is a fantastic example of how to write a realistically flawed yet likeable character.

My go-to for describing this book t
Sharon Grow
Returning home from her deployment in Iraq, Sergeant Camille Waresch is working for the county and adapting to civilian life. Her daughter is now fifteen and has no intention of listening to Camille. Doing an inspection for the county, Camille finds a young man hanging in a barn…a young man who has been tortured. This flashes her back to a time in Iraq when she witnessed a young soldier that was killed in the same manner. Or is it her PTSD? Camille can’t leave the investigation alone and is warn ...more
Jessica Belmont
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Lewes’ Little Falls is fantastic! A mix of suspense and mystery, I was pulled in at the beginning and had trouble setting it down.

This is an intriguing look at the world through the eyes of a character with PTSD after returning from military service. I think this was really well written. PTSD is a complicated and sensitive topic. Elizabeth Lewes wrote this subject very well.

Camille is a fantastic main character. The portrayal of her trying to live a normal life while battling PTSD and
Kaye
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts fine, with Camille finding the tortured body of a young man. She suffers from PTSD, and has flashbacks of a similar finding of a body in Afghanistan. A lot of characters, most unpleasant thrown at the reader, and didn’t know who to trust. Most I didn’t like, especially the teenage daughter. Still, I liked it enough to read to the end. Ends with a cliffhanger though, which I did not expect or like. I like continuous series, but like each book to be more complete. Would recommend, ...more
Donna Hines
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
A 'cliff hanger' of a new novel by Elizabeth Lewes is upon us.
This starts off strong with Sergeant Camille who tries to fight off PTSD and trauma from her experience in Iraq after it's triggered.
What triggers that immediate reaction is something you can't possible grasp as it's inhumane.
Yet, it happened and now the daughter is missing, a body has been found, and that body holds connections to Sophie.
Good grief!
This was a fast paced and suspenseful work that I enjoyed.

• Two Reasons to Run (Pelican Harbor #2)
  • All We Buried (Sheriff Bet Rivers #1)
  • The Memories We Bury
  • Airborne
  • Until I Find You
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • The Dentist (The DS Cross mysteries Book 1)
  • Paris Never Leaves You
  • Luster
  • Under Your Skin
  • The Night Swim
  • Everywhere to Hide
  • The Ancestor
  • When She Was Good (Cyrus Haven, #2)
  • Saint Justice (Christopher Wren #1)
  • It Will Just Be Us
  • The Drop
  • Echoes of Guilt (D.I. Dani Stephens, #3)