Start by marking “Nightmare” as Want to Read:
Nightmare

Nightmare

Had it come back? No, it couldn't have. He had buried it for good. Or at least that's what Scott told himself. But what if it had? Was that why the scarecrow now watched him?

But the more Scott tries to ignore it, the more the evidence begins to pile up. So do the bodies. Because sometimes, the dead don't stay buried. Sometimes the monster survives.

As the bodies mount, and
Paperback
Published October 6th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare, please sign up.
Chad Nicholas There are some gory/violent scenes in it, although the gore isn't overly excessive. However, aside from that aspect, there isn't anything else I would…moreThere are some gory/violent scenes in it, although the gore isn't overly excessive. However, aside from that aspect, there isn't anything else I would really classify as adult/mature. Thanks for the question!(less)

Start your review of Nightmare
Pat
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, I have survived another foray into the horror genre (ok it was a bit thrillerish as well). This book was really rather good (maybe not if you are squeamish). I have to admit the start was a bit meh with clunky writing and cheesy dialogue, but this is a debut and the author soon hit his stride and the story telling then improved immeasurably. The plot was, if not original (I don’t know) certainly very unusual, ergo - not predictable.

When he was 8 years old, Scott was abducted by a very dera
J.M. Storin
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars! This was SO creepy!!! Oh my goodness what a wild ride of a book! I was hooked throughout, finished this in two sittings and that ending! Wow! I am seriously impressed and creeped out! There were a couple of moments where the logic piece of the story was a little lacking, but I will say that by the end, everything did make sense (in a way 😉). I don’t want to say much more except you’ll have to pick this up and experience it for yourself! Read this one in the day! And hopefully you don’ ...more
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
ARC received from the author -Chad Nicholas- in exchange of an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Well, I enjoyed this. Even though I don't exactly go looking to read horrors I'm glad that I gave this a chance.

Despite being horror, the book still had very strong family dynamics which was 100% my favorite aspect. Getting to see how familial relationships work and how it is tackled in horror/thriller/suspense stories (as they do get quite tragic) is always so interesting to me.

Kristi
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nightmare by Chad Nicholas is a horror story that satisfied my horror lovin’ heart. Scott, loving husband and father, suffered a terrible tragedy as a child. Now, he suffers from terrible nightmares that have somehow managed to creep into his waking life.

While classified as horror, this has strong psychological thriller elements that, combined with the horror element, scared the socks right off of me. I love to be surprised by who/what is the actual villain/bad guy, and I was! There’s a host of
Alex Nieves
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD_ed...

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review of Nightmare, by Chad Nicholas.

WOW this was great! I haven't read much horror or thriller style novels at all and had planned on rotating a horror book into my regular reading every month or two and this was an incredibly pleasant surprise.

I seriously enjoyed this story and Chad has a bright future ahead of him in the genre. When the story started out I was quickly intrigued by wha
Mindy'sBookJourney
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for the copy for review.

Nightmare follows Scott who is a loving husband and father of four who has a traumatic event in his past. He has horrible nightmares about this time in his life. Now something from his past is haunting his waking hours. He has to protect his family from this living nightmare.

This psychological horror novel has plenty of twists and turns. The plot is full of surprises and really great spooky imagery. I found this book really scary, because it deal
Lezlie with The Nerdy Narrative
Full non-spoiler video review here: https://youtu.be/bxPMsQbKYEc

I was captured by this book immediately. The prologue really set the tone to pull me in and Chapter 1 hit the ground running.

This book was a page turner - the story was so interesting and fast paced that I almost read the whole book in one sitting. I thought I had it figured out so many times as far as where this story was going and I was wrong at almost every turn.

The characters REALLY were the star of the show for me. I loved how
Irene
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
When I was asked to read this book I was not sure from the description whether it was some sort of supernatural horror or psychological. I'm game for either one, and always happy to hear from new authors so here we are.

I did enjoy much of this dark and chilling tale and as a life long horror fan I am willing to engage in a suspension of disbelief. However I prefer to limit that to ghosts and ghouls and all manner of otherworldly beings. If a story includes legal or hospital procedure I prefer it
Andd Becker
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You absolutely MUST watch closely to catch the falling_________
in this descent into the harrowing world of_________.
Do not stop reading until you get to the end.

I received an advance review copy for free.
I am posting this review voluntarily.
Reginas..Haunted..Library
This indie horror revitalized the ornithophobia I developed from watching The Birds as a kid so in that sense I enjoyed it for the creepy chills some of the scenes gave me. Overall, it was a nicely-paced psychological horror tale covering old ground with a few fresh twists woven in.
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Right after reading this horror gem, I rated it 3 stars. After sitting with it for a while, I've since bumped it up to 4 stars.

More of my thoughts in this video: https://youtu.be/6XLkXPgUkWY

Pre-Order Promotion!! If you're at all interested in this, the author is running a promotion where you can pre-order this book for 2 dollars off on Amazon. Definitely check this out if you're interested, but I'm just saying, you might be... ;)

Disclaimer: I was given an e-ARC from the author in exchange for an
Tam
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, old-fashioned horror at its best! A captivating, suspenseful and twisted delight!

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.
Erin Talamantes
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*This book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review*

It’s a typical day for Scott and his family.
Scott wakes up from a nightmare, the same nightmare he always has. He checks on his oldest daughter April, making sure she’s up and ready for school. He knocks on her bedroom door, where she unlocks several locks before opening it. She also has bars on the window in her room...
After telling her to go wake up her siblings, Tommy & May, he heads downstairs where his wife, Karen, is.
Their conver
Karen Bullock
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for this Phenomenal horror/ psychological thriller!
An intense beginning that allows the reader to literally feel the main character, Scott’s, plight through some very descriptive scenery.
Tragedy befalls Scott & through his trauma, we are awakened to witness several horrific situations.
I thought, I had figured it out but the plot twist was mind blowing.
Superbly written & extremely clever. Things that seem off kilter, eventually sharpen and make sense.
Triggers of anxiety, claustrophobia, c
Kathleen Lightfoot
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, horror, owned-books
Thank you, Chad, for ending my unendurable horror dry spell. I’ve read so many unsatisfactory titles in this genre lately that I’d begun to give up hope of ever reading a good one again — and then I picked up Nightmare.

I felt a plethora of emotions while reading this, most of them some variation of disgust, because oh boy is there a lot of gore in this book. Nicholas sets the story up in such a way that it’s impossible not to get hooked. Every page just added to my confusion, which meant I had
Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
“There is no escape, no way out. I know everything you’ve ever been afraid of. This is your nightmare, Scott” (330).

Scott seems like the typical father of a loving family. Beneath the surface, his past lingers in the darkest corners. The seemingly perfect family has gone through not one, but two traumas. At the age of eight, Scott is taken by a man, trapped and tortured in a birdcage for over two months. The day of his escape would change his life forever. Years later, he will have to face his f
Rose Auburn
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
n Nightmare, we met Scott, husband and father of four, desperately trying to maintain a normal, family life despite the traumatic events of his past starting to overwhelm him. The nightmares grow worse, the crows return and the scarecrow keeps watching him. Could it be that some monsters never remain buried?

Nightmare is fast-paced, frightening, psychological fiction that is hard to put down. The prologue is good old-fashioned supernatural horror and from the beginning chapter, we are quickly aw
Gloria
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Nightmare is exactly what the title tells you it is. This is a type of novel that you’ll probably want to read more than once, filled with details heavy in importance, but obscured until the very end. The story of a man and his horrific childhood trauma, Nightmare deals with grief, mental anguish, and fear for the ones we love.

The story progresses from the usual day to day of the family, to a darkness growing between husband
Richard K. Wilson
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any HORROR and gore fan!
And to think that this is the author's FIRST novel!? Get ready for a messed up ride in a horror filled mind of a fucked up killer! Hope you are not afraid of Crows!

I rated this 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.

So, I was granted an autographed and beautiful copy of this horror thriller from the author; Chad Nicholas, and I wanted to say a "Huge Thank You' to him for this opportunity. This does not affect any feelings or the review of this book. I am not going to go into any details here on this book, h
Alice
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Chad Nicholas writing is dark, detailed and gory in this book. The feeling of horror this book emits is not for the squeamish.

Nightmare is a story about Scott and his family. Something terrible happened to Scott when he was a young boy, and he is still dealing with it today when he is older and has a family. The way this has been written, you dont find out the extend of what anything means right up until the end. You are always guessing, right along with Scott.

I really enjoyed the pace of this
Amy Moreno
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book definitely toes the line between thriller and horror. After being kidnapped and tortured when he was 8, Scott was saved by his alternate personality. After coexisting for many years, "Vincent" is back and determined to take Scott's life for himself, no matter what. This book is definitely not for the faint of heart and I was left guessing until the very last second. If you are into either horror or thriller, or both, this book is worth the read.

I received an ARC to review, but my opini
Linda's World of Books
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will keep you on the edge of your seat!!!!

Scott is a loving husband and father of 4. He has secrets in his past that he doesn't want anyone to know. One day things start to unravel and Scott need to confront his past. If he doesn't he could lose everything.

I was hooked from page 1. All the twists and turns in this story had me thinking that I knew what was happening and then bomb there was another twist that threw me for a loop. I was so invested in the story that I couldn't put it dow
Angel White
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This has all the pieces of a classic horror/thriller. The writing keeps you engaged, although at times it was a bit repetitive (hence the 4 instead of 5 stars). The ending was not what I expected but not in a bad way as I enjoyed the outcome.

I love horror stories and October is my month to really dive in and enjoy as many as I can. This is one I would recommend be added to anyone looking for a good, creepy horror.

I received this book from Book Sirens in exchange for an honest review. All opinion
Joann Im
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksirens
An intriging premise filled with suspense, gore and horror not for the faint of heart. Scott, our protagonist experienced a traumatic event during his childhood. Amidst his continuing battle to overcome his past trauma, he has made a great life for himself with a perfect family, home and stability. However, his past revisits him and threatens to destroy him and his loved ones he fought so hard to protect.

The writing and the pacing flowed smoothly and effortlessly. I enjoyed the alternating time
Beas Chattaraj
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I have always been a fan of horror from childhood, be it the classic Poe or Lovecraft or the modern Stephen King. So when I saw the blurb I knew I had to try this one.
I don't know much about Dissociative Identity Disorder so I can't vouch for the accuracy of Scott's experiences but, from the horror/supernatural perspective, it was spot on. The blows kept on coming. It was brutal. It was relentless. At times, I felt like I gotta stop for a bit. The narration was fast, with flashbacks but it was e
Aleks
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
While it took a few pages to get hooked, once the action took off I couldn't stop reading. The story moved at a fast pace. I wouldn't say the plot twists were massively shocking but there were some surprising turns.

It gets a little graphic and gory, and the horror elements are unsettling but probably wouldn't give you nightmares.

The characters were realistic and the family dynamic came across really well. Not all were likable but they were not supposed to be.

I really liked the ending, it tied
Heather Brock
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I really, really liked the premise of this book. Scarecrows? Crows? Supernatural entity? Body-count? YES. The premise checked all of my boxes. It's a pretty quick read once you open it, which is nice. The atmosphere is pretty decent. I may just be a tough-cookie when it comes to horror novels. I found that the writing fell flat to me, and was a bit novice. The character-development was missing to me. The twist at the end was fun, but I found the delivery to be cumbersome and not as impactful as ...more
Manda B-Shaw
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would say that this book was half horror and half psychological thriller. It had both equal parts of blood/gore and brain fucking. It starts with 8 year old Scott being kidnapped and waking up in a dirty, rusted, human sized bird cage. He was left to starve for days and when his capturer finally did come he would beat Scott and feed him only bird seed. Scott was not only tormented by his kidnapper but also by the birds that would keep him awake and constantly scratch at the windows and walls. ...more
Melanie
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has ingenious execution from start to finish, but be warned, once you start, you will most likely lose any ability you thought you had to put it down. Nightmare is just as the title suggest; you won't be able to sleep until you can forget, but with this book how can you from the shear horror, creepiness, and the rollercoaster ride of twists and turns throughout the entire book.

You think you are ready or capable of knowing what's gonna happen prior to it happening, but once again you're
Kim -
Oct 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Full booktube book review here: https://youtu.be/B0Hvo1PEiCg

I received an ARC in exchange for a book review of Nightmare, by Chad Nicholas.

I gave this book 3 stars, and it was an interesting and entertaining read for me. I just started reading the horror genre but I enjoyed the ending on this one.

This is Chad's debut novel, and I look forward to what he will write in the future.

Right away we meet Scott. A family man, father of four, and husband to wife, Karen. We immediately see right away Scot

• The Original
  • The Shadows
  • The Winter People
  • Double Down (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #11)
  • You Go First (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter Inspired Kids)
  • I Survived the Battle of D-Day, 1944 (I Survived, #18)
  • Just a Big Storm
  • It's True (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter Inspired Kids)
  • Just a Little Too Little (Little Critter)
  • I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)
  • I Survived the Children’s Blizzard, 1888 (I Survived, #16)
  • Just Me and My Puppy (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Just Shopping With Mom (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • I Survived the Attack of the Grizzlies, 1967 (I Survived, #17)
  • I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 (I Survived, #10)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • Just a Little Music
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
Chad Nicholas is an author who enjoys writing mysteries and thrillers. He also has a love for writing horror novels, despite the fact that he has to watch horror movies in the daytime, like a coward, or else he gets nightmares.

Speaking of Nightmares…