Start by marking “Dragon Mage (Rivenworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Mage (Rivenworld, #1)

Dragon Mage

(Rivenworld #1)

Aram Raythe has the power to challenge the gods. He just doesn't know it yet.

Aram thinks he's nothing but a misfit from a small fishing village in a dark corner of the world. As far as Aram knows, he has nothing, with hardly a possession to his name other than a desire to make friends and be accepted by those around him, which is something he’s never known.

But Aram is more
Published January 8th 2021 by Stoneguard Publications (first published December 19th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Mage, please sign up.
M.L. Spencer Right now I'm planning on three novels. That could change if the story grows from what it is now in my head. :)…moreRight now I'm planning on three novels. That could change if the story grows from what it is now in my head. :)(less)

Start your review of Dragon Mage (Rivenworld, #1)
Petrik
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This was awesome. Spencer takes everything we love about classic epic fantasy and put it into Dragon Mage, transforming the novel into an incredible, epic, and satisfying fantasy book.

I haven’t read anything by M.L. Spencer before Dragon Mage, but that doesn’t mean I’m not familiar with her name and her works. Spencer is most often known for her grimdark fa
Books with Brittany
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Still deciding on exact rating! Lots of thoughts!
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I edited this book, so you should know that first.

Dragon Mage was a delight in every possible respect. Spencer is a true master of her craft, with the skills to keep plot, character development, and world building perfectly balanced. Dragon Mage is a book where the author's passion shines through on every page.

In a lot of ways, this book felt like a homage to the fantasy I fell in love with as a high schooler. The epic quest, the magic, the personal growth and development and DRAGONS are all t
Nick Borrelli
Jun 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
DRAGON MAGE is a book that has been on my radar for almost a year. I had never read a book by ML Spencer before but from everything I heard, her previous books have all been incredibly well-received. So I was already interested in picking this one up and luckily, Storytellers On Tour gave me the excuse (as they always seem to do) to finally read it. I can't begin to tell you what I was expecting to be quite honest, but whatever it was it didn't even scratch the surface of what I ultimately got o ...more
Andrews  WizardlyReads
Dec 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have no real words for how much I loved this book…. While I think there are some technical issues such as pacing and a few character inconsistencies early in the book. It’s still mind blowing how much this book means to me.

This to me is a LOVE LETTER to the fantasy genre!!! M.L. Spencer had written a beautiful story on what it means to be different and what it takes to over come it.

Aram and Markus share a believable and realistic friendship that hit me right where I live!!! As a person who i
Dea
Jan 24, 2022 rated it it was ok
Well, the violence and gore definitely falls under the adult content but the characters, their interactions and every relationship there is, seems childish.
I really love reading books featuring dragons but their role in this book is simply weird. They supposedly are an important element of Auld culture but their bond with their riders seems so simple and trivial (the poor things were mostly flying around battlefields, getting hit and falling to their deaths).
What irked me the most was the role
Wick Welker
Feb 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece fantasy adventure story.

I ate this book up with a spoon. It's a long book but I enjoyed every sentence. The prose is spot on and gets you moving easily. This has been on my list awhile and wooow did I wait too long. I adored this book. It has classic fantasy elements yet with fresh tropes. An origin story of a neuroatypical hero. An unlikely friendship forms in beautiful way. This is a compelling fantasy adventure mixed with a minor coming-of-age arc that moves swiftly along a Hero
Terence
Mar 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Aramon Raythe is an outcast in his own hometown. Something about him is different than others and he's ridiculed for it as a result. Little does he know that something old and powerful stirs within him. Something strong enough to save the world.

Dragon Mage is an ok young adult story. It has some fresh takes to it in it's magic system that involves seeing colorful auras, knots, and beings impervious to magic. The story is one filled with emotions as nearly every characters emotions seem to be des
Emma
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. A richly imagined world and characters who grab your heart. A true epic fantasy coming of age magical adventure. I loved it. If I have any minor quibbles, I think it was slightly long and a few things were over explained for a younger market. This is a rip roaring adventure of the very best kind. Enjoy!
Carrie
Jun 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, fantasy, dragons
Like always my reviews will have some spoilerishness to them.

CW: Gore, Torture

Dragon Mage felt like reading a classic epic fantasy for modern times and I loved every minute of it. I read this book in two an a half days, and that's impressive as the book isn't tiny, just under a thousand pages. I couldn't stop reading it and when I wasn't reading it, I wanted to be.

🐉🐉🐉

Aram is the kid that no one gets, as he's not like everyone else. He doesn't understand things the way others do, so people think
Annette
Jan 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
I have many thoughts on this book, both positive and negative. It was therefore difficult to rate it, but despite the negative things, I had a good reading experience. It was fast pace and easy to read despite being over 800 pages long.

I want to start off with the things I liked. I love Aram. It was so much fun getting to know him and how his brain works. The fact that he is a different type of protagonist was just amazing to read. He was so endearing from page one and I loved how the author ma
Eric
Sep 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I really wanted to love this, and it started very well, but ultimately it fell flat for me. It’s a classic epic fantasy coming of age story, which is right up my alley. The author did a great job in the beginning making the unlikely hero from humble origins trope compelling.

Things went a little off the rails there for me. The tone of the book, despite having some very dark moments, grew increasingly YA to me. I wanted to get invested in the world building but it didn’t feel as developed as I wo
C.T. Phipps
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

THE DRAGON MAGE by M.L. Spencer was a book that intrigued me the moment I heard about it. I was a big fan of her Rhenwars Saga books and was interested in what she might do next. I enjoyed the Chaos Cycle books but they required you to have read the Rhenwars Saga books to really get the most out of them. This was going to be a expansive work and the equivalent of a novel trilogy in one with almost a thousand pages of text. Well, after a couple of weeks of reading, I've finally finished it.
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Storytellers On Tour and M.L. Spencer for having me on the tour for Dragon Mage!

This is a truly exceptional work of fantasy and I 100% believe that anyone with even a casual interest in fantasy *needs* to grab this book!

The plot & story: I find a few things unique about the plot, which for the book’s size, NEVER slowed down.  982 pages went by like nothing and I still wanted more of everything.  It is told from rotating points of view over the span of about 10 years, where A
Michael Smith
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
ML Spencer is a masterful writer. Over the years, I have become used to reading for pleasure, but in the long run, nothing more. Good to very good books have a tendency to fade in memory, and I've spent a lot of time reading just "very good" book. This isn't to knock the authors I enjoy and their works, after all I enjoy adventure stories, and am often moved by beautiful writing. However, I'm still used to closing a book at the final moment, feeling gratified, but then easily forgetting it the m ...more
Olivia
Jul 22, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After reading the mostly excellent reviews, I expected a lot of Dragon Mage, and ultimately it fell flat for me. It's never good when I start a book with high expectations, and I really should know better by now.

Dragon Mage is a traditional (at times too traditional) epic high fantasy, it's also a coming of age story, and the protagonist is autistic (that last bit was perfectly executed by Spencer).

Unfortunately, most of the characters feel underdeveloped, their relationships simplistic, and the
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
This was a solid epic fantasy made better through its ASD representation. While the spectrum is very wide, several aspects of the protagonist rang true for me. It was frustrating at times to read about such an unconfident young man even if it was realistic. I hope to see this aspect of his personality mature and develop in the later books in the series. As the story itself, the plot leaned heavily into the Chosen One trope through a coming of age narrative. This had a lot of all age and
Dominic
Jul 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Dragon Mage. I had heard so much good about it and I really liked the sound of it from the synopsis, so I’m happy it ended up as good as I had hoped. Some of the storytelling, while not unique, was really good and quite refreshing to see. You have a main character who is autistic, and I like the way this is portrayed, focusing on the way people interact with him, how they treat him, and how he feels about that treatment.

Outside of that, there’s a really good story about friendship
Kyle Erickson
Sep 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
People have been giving Dragon Mage rave reviews and I fully expected to love it. Unfortunately, the hype failed me a bit here. This was probably a 3.75 star for me, rounded up to a 4 star for a great protagonist that is representing those on the spectrum in a lead role, something that is very rare in a fantasy book (or really, at all). Spencer gets major props for that.

Unfortunately, there were other things that just didn't work for me. This review may come off a bit negative because I'm going
Steve
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hmm, looks like I’ll be out of step with many of the current mainly 5* reviews of GR friends whose opinions I respect! Not so much to my taste as I’d hoped.

In summary, a cracking old style classic fantasy, with dragons, YA heroes and action, sinister evil sorcerers and dark forces and a reasonable magical background. However, it was just a bit too full of YA tropes for me with a main character I didn’t really bond with.

In just under 1000 pages the author has created quite an epic, often produced
Pamela
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book. If you want to introduce someone to fantasy, hoping they'll become a fantasy fan, then give this book to them. It's a beautiful coming of age story of undying friendship, as two boys endure unspeakable hardships, but faith in each other never falters.
Aram was a character that you couldn't help but love, but with that love for him, you find yourself weeping at times for the hand he's been dealt, but luckily you can also smile occasionally too.
Markus was the type of
Julia Kitvaria Sarene
So the cat is finally out of the bag SPFBO wise, so I can post my review for this!

I damn well loved Dragon Mage. It's not a perfect book, but it really hit home with me, and I devoured this beast of a book in no time at all.

I've read quite some other books by ML Spencer before, and I enjoyed them all. Their weakness in my eyes was always in character relationships, which usually don't develop, but just spring into being. With Dragon Mage that stepped right into the background and wasn't an issue
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Aug 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was so much freaking fun. It read like an old-school 90's fantasy novel but new and fresh like it's written for modern times. Which...well...it is.

Anyways...dragons and magic, action and friendships, trials...sorrow...it's all here, it's a helluva ride, and I loved it so much.
Rowena Andrews
Jun 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes as readers we consume books (I am certainly ‘guilty’ of that), other times a book consumes us and this is one of those cases. This is a big book. I had known the page count beforehand, but somehow it was only when I saw it in person that I realised just how much of a chonk this book was, but when you’re reading it, it doesn’t feel like it. I was so absorbed that time and pages lost all meaning, and all there was the story that M.L. Spencer has woven, and it was almost a shock to reach ...more
Kemery (Essential Readings & Reviews)
4.5 Stars

For the full review: essentialreadingsandreviews.blogspot....

What's the story about: Dragon Mage is classic epic fantasy about a young boy discovering his magical abilities and divine powers with an ancient war of dragons, mages, and evil going on, all with a modern take.

Rarely do you come across books that simply sweep away your attention entirely and don't let go until the very end. And I'm not talking about writing tricks that require you "to know what happens next." But a real sense
Lana  (Lore & Lullabies)
I loved this book so much!! It made me remember why I fell in love with classic and epic fantasy in the first place. So please, don't mind me, while I gush all over the place while still trying to remain somewhat coherent like the grown adult I know hides within me somewhere.

Dragon Mage felt like an ode to all of the best elements of fantasy I read growing up, the magic, the tropes, relationships, high stakes, and good versus evil.

Our chosen one is neurodiverse Aram, bullied and ostracised for b
P.L. Stuart
Feb 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Time to review the next book in my #FebruarySheWrote reads. In February 2022, I will be reading exclusively female authors who use the pronouns she/her.

It has taken me a long time to write this review. Startlingly, it has taken me far longer to write this review than it took me to literally devour almost one thousand pages of the book that is the epic fantasy "Dragon Mage", Book One of "Rivenworld", by M.L. Spencer.

Spencer, writer of the "Rhenwars Saga" and the "Chaos Cycle" already has plenty
Tenna Chatman
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It will keep you reading all night!

The book was edge of your seat, nail bitting intense! I loved the characters. I would have totally loved it, but for the cussing. It would have been an awesome clean read. In that, it fell short. The story hit a lot of emotions, and I will still give a good review.
Eggs
Aug 13, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Dragon Mage is the first book in the Rivenworld series with a sequel thought to be coming soon. I have had this book in my collection for over a year now and the size always put me off. It is a big book coming in at 800 pages but do not let that put you off because when reading this (Kindle & Audible) it really felt like a 400 page book because it just flowed.

This is a story that balances a character driven story with a solid plot really well.
Set around a young boy called Aram Raythe, he has th
Kevin
Sep 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5/5 stars

Dragon Mage is a fantastic ode to classic fantasy. ML Spencer brings together fantasy tropes we all know and love (and maybe even be sick of) and adds her own spin to it. I personally don’t mind tropes because I know they can work really well when done right.

Aram is the classic boy from a small village who happens to be the chosen one. What makes him different from the typical is that he is neurodivergent. He takes things literally, becomes obsessed with small things, has difficulty r
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Spencer - Dragon Mage [Feb 15, 2021] 29 92 Mar 08, 2021 12:36PM

• Unbound (Songs of Chaos, #2)
  • Of Blood and Fire (The Bound and the Broken, #1)
  • Ascendant (Songs of Chaos, #1)
  • The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • Never Say Genius (The Genius Files, #2)
  • Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)
  • Of Darkness and Light (The Bound and the Broken, #2)
  • The Caged Dragon (Cycle of Dragons #1)
  • Love Your Life
  • The Betrayed Dragon (Cycle of Dragons #2)
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
  • Prince of Dragons (The Dragon Marked Chronicles #2)
  • The Lost Dragon (Cycle of Dragons #3)
  • ワンパンマン 21 [Wanpanman 21] (Onepunch-Man, #21)
  • Into the Tall Grass (Tamer of the Beasts, #1)
  • Champion's Wrath (Fury of a Rising Dragon, #4)
  • Heavy (The Weight of It All #1)
  • A Dragon's Curse: An Epic Progression Fantasy (Yokai Calling, #3)
See top shelves…
M.L. Spencer is an epic fantasy author. Her debut novel Darkmage won the 2012 IndieReader Discovery Award for Fantasy, and her novel Dragon Mage won the 2021 Readers' Favorite Gold Award for Fantasy.

Rivenworld (2 books)
  • Champion of the Fallen (Rivenworld, #2)

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...
“Think about all that the wind is and all that it does. Where it goes. Where it comes from. The wind knows everything, for it travels everywhere, and it’s with us always. It endures. It feels. It speaks. Sometimes it whispers. Sometimes it rages. Give it a listen sometime. See what it tells you.” 1 likes
“But now he finally had a friend, and that made all the difference in the world.” 0 likes