Start by marking “The Founding Fathers on Leadership: Classic Teamwork in Changing Times” as Want to Read:
The Founding Fathers on Leadership: Classic Teamwork in Changing Times

The Founding Fathers on Leadership: Classic Teamwork in Changing Times

An exciting business primer based on the country-building strategies that sprang from the ingenuity, resourcefulness, determination, desperation & passion of America's founding fathers.
Published November 1st 1998 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Founding Fathers on Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Founding Fathers on Leadership

Start your review of The Founding Fathers on Leadership: Classic Teamwork in Changing Times
Steve Rangoussis
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in a leadership role
The Founding Fathers on Leadership is a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. Probably among the top of my list, it takes the leadership lessons of the Founding Fathers and underscores them in order to be used in today’s business environment. This is an inspiring and informative work. There are few greater challenges than those that this country faced at its inception. This book discusses how exceptional individuals worked together to accomplish the extraordinary to persevere against incredible odds.

Erwin
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
The founding fathers on leadership

The first half starts off with some interesting stories and insightful lessons, but the 2nd half of the book is much weaker.

It's interesting that George Washington's strategy for battle with England was very similar to 毛泽东's strategy for fighting 蒋介石 and the nationalists, and has a lot in common with Vietnam and Iraq's resistance to American occupation. So in 1776 Americans knew how to fight a war, and knew how to run an economy, but somehow they forgot.

The next
Jan Rog
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
Preparing for a class on leadership, I reread this from a few years back. I did not try to read it all at once but rather took time as I developed some lessons bit by bit; it could be read in a few days or possibly one or two for extremely fast readers. It's got some solid stories in the first half, and there are some interesting applications in the second part of the book. I am going to use it in referencing how to look for lessons leaders gave in the past and how to apply those same ...more
Tedjimsmith
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. If you like history and enjoy reading about management, then you will like it also. There is a lot to learn from the founding fathers. They say the potential in the union of the states and risked everything to bring their vision to fruition. They had a vision and were able to get others to follow along.
I would have given it 5 stars but there were some repeating stories that didn't flow and some of the connections to leadership where a stretch. The overall outline is
William Burruss
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: High School, Teens, Leadership
Recommended to William by: Chip Jones
I had just finished a leadership class when I was introduced to this book. Being a Virginian I was interested in the subject matter, but arrogant enough to think it was below my level. Donald Phillips does a marvelous job exploring the leadership characteristics of our founding fathers. By exploring their leadership abilities of getting things accomplished you gain a fabulous understanding of them and how our country began. For me, this book the best reasons why George Washington became our ...more
Jeremy
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leadership
I've found that most biographical leadership books take cliche, ubiquitous leadership principles and provide moderately interesting anecdotes to support these universally held principles. Just as most romantic comedies are neither romantic nor humorous, I've found this genre of books to be neither biography nor leadership (as far as fresh insight goes).

I'm done with them. If you want to read a biography, read a biography. If you want to read a leadership book, read a leadership book. And if you
Stephen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
READ DEC 2009

Good balance between US history and leadership principles. Best quote: "the principles of leadership are nothing less than the principles of humanity: treating people with respect and dignity; raising awareness; creating a vision and involving others; bonding together through alliances and teamwork; risking all; learning from mistakes; refusing to lose; inspiring rather than coercing; listening; compromising; caring; ever changing and ever achieving" (p. 250).
Scott
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book contains enough historical commentary to make it a valuable volume on American History... Then the author applies that history to modern business leadership making for an invaluable read. It is filled with quotes of the founders of the American Government - valuable insights and life lessons. Whether a student of American History or Business Leadership -- this is a good read...
Jason Jay
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Honestly, I read through it very quickly and didn't take the time to enjoy it. I should probably reread it so I appreciate it more. I did like the narratives that were included to demonstrate the leadership principles being explained.
John
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent history of the leaders of our nation from before declaring independence through the Revolutionary War and creating our unique form of government. The leadership tips summarized at the end of each chapter are priceless.
Elizabeth Devolder
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A favorite book for business and professional development. Favorite lesson: the middle doesn't look or feel like the end.
Lisa
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am reading this for my "Profiles in Leadership" class, but it is very good and perfect for this time of year with an election coming up. Too bad George Washington isn't around still to run!
Matt
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great examples. Great encouragement. I loved the different perspective on the founding fathers.
Bala
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Just an OK book quoting the history of the US. Not much insight gained.
Bill Bridgman
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Must read if you want to understand leadership!
TJ
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful, engaging and full of common sense and food for thought.
Matt Sylvester
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well written history that offers compelling principles for effective leadership.
Rudy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage
  • King James Bible
  • How to Break Growth Barriers: Revise Your Role, Release Your People, and Capture Overlooked Opportunities for Your Church
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001