Start by marking “Peace of Mind: Insights on Human Nature That Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
Peace of Mind: Insights on Human Nature That Can Change Your Life

Peace of Mind: Insights on Human Nature That Can Change Your Life

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"It may seem strange for a man to write a book about peace of mind in this age of fierce turmoil and harrowing doubts. I have written this book in the conviction that social peace can never be permanently achieved so long as individuals engage in civil war with themselves." "In this book I try to present some answers that have proved helpful to me about the universal human ...more
Published February 19th 1994 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published 1901)

Santosh Maskara
Linda
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was written in the 1940's, just after WW2. I thought it was so interesting because of the content (MANY incredible & useful insights that still apply today) and also interesting as a historical look at that time period.
Charlane Brady
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've read this book (1st edition) a few times. I love how he talks about "questing inward" is not easy but one must be consistent & disciplined with practice. He also speaks of loving thyself properly.....
Cassildalouis428
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's become my bible. I consider myself fortunate to have discovered this book. Chapter three--Love thyself properly--caused me to break into tears and I will confess to having read the pages out loud and silently.
Jolomo
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
This book has aged better than I expected. Got turned onto it via a contemporary review. I think his final conclusions are probably wrong about modern America defining a new relationship with God that doesn't include a surrender but along the way he says very interesting things about grief, self and fear. He makes references to Menninger's "Man Against Himself" and Kardiner's "Psychological Frontiers of Society" that I'll need to look into. Worth digging up a copy!
Lee
Jan 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Rabbi Liebman had me most of the way through the book. Psychology working with faith based religion works wonderfully for peace of mind. It describes how and the way this happens in a manner that is most readable, that is until he came to the place where he called believers "co-workers" with God. Sorry. No way. We are definitely NOT equal to God as a co-worker. That kind of defeats the purpose in believing in a god of any kind never mind God. It was all downhill from there.
Mark Fallon
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
A classic from 1946 on coming to peace with your self and your emotions. I'd never read much psychology before, and this book really connected to me.
Oma Eagle
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1946 edition
Jenna
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A must read if you have any appreciation for both religion and psychology. This book reads like present day.
Apekshagupgmail.com
Aug 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Malcolm: A Comic Novel
  • Teach Only Love: Twelve Principles of Attitudinal Healing
  • The Warlord
  • Letters from Women Who Love Too Much: A Closer Look at Relationship Addiction and Recovery
  • How to Travel Incognito
  • The Condor Passes
  • Richard Burton: A Life
  • The Mysterious Universe
  • Black Lizard and Bitter Taste (Alice in the Country of Clover, Vol. 2)
  • Darwin's Century
  • Satyagraha in South Africa: The Making of Mahatma Gandhi
  • Experimental Researches in Electricity
  • The Mindful Woman: Gentle Practices for Restoring Calm, Finding Balance, and Opening Your Heart
  • The Hoosier Schoolmaster: A Story of Backwoods Life in Indiana (Illustrated Edition)
  • The Gift Shop
  • The Woman Who Was Poor: A Novel
  • Hear Us O Lord from Heaven Thy Dwelling Place
  • Luther and Calvin on Secular Authority (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
Joshua Loth Liebman (1907-1948) was an American rabbi and best-selling author, best known for the book Peace of Mind, which spent more than a year at #1 on the New York Times Best Seller list.

Born in Hamilton, Ohio, Liebman graduated from the University of Cincinnati when he was 19 years old. He went on to be ordained and also earned a doctorate in Hebrew letters from Hebrew Union College. From 19
More about Joshua Loth Liebman...
“We are afraid of what we will do to others, afraid of the rage that lies in wait somewhere deep in our souls. How many human beings go through the world frozen with rage against life! This deeply hidden inner anger may be the product of hurt pride or of real frustration in office, factory, clinic, or home. Whatever may be the cause of our frozen rage (which is the inevitable mother of depression), the great word of hope today is that this rage can be conquered and drained off into creative channels …
…What should we do? We should all learn that a certain amount of aggressive energy is normal and certainly manageable in maturity. Most of us can drain off the excess of our angry feelings and destructive impulses in exercise, in competitive games, or in the vigorous battles against the evils of nature and society. We also must realize that no one will punish us for the legitimate expression of self-assertiveness and creative pugnacity as our parents once punished us for our undisciplined temper tantrums. Furthermore, let us remember that we need not totally repress the angry part of our nature. We can always give it an outlet in the safe realm of fantasy. A classic example of such fantasy is given by Max Beerborn, who made a practice of concocting imaginary letters to people he hated. Sometimes he went so far as to actually write the letters and in the very process of releasing his anger it evaporated.
As mature men and women we should regard our minds as a true democracy where all kinds of ideas and emotions should be given freedom of speech. If in political life we are willing to grant civil liberties to all sorts of parties and programs, should we not be equally willing to grant civil liberties to our innermost thoughts and drives, confident that the more dangerous of them will be outvoted by the majority within our minds? Do I mean that we should hit out at our enemy whenever the mood strikes us? No, I repeat that I am suggesting quite the reverse—self-control in action based upon (positive coping mechanisms such as) self expression in fantasy.”
15 likes
“Many people are miserable because they think that occasional destructive feelings necessarily make them terrible persons. But just as Aristotle maintained, “One swallow does not make a spring,” we must understand that one or two or even a dozen unadmirable traits does not make an unadmirable person. Long ago Edmund Burke warned humanity about the danger of false generalization in society; of judging a whole race by a few undesirable members. Today we should likewise become aware of the generalization about our individual personality. A splendid freedom awaits us when we realize that we need not feel like moral lepers or emotional pariahs because we have some aggressive, hostile feeling s towards ourselves and others. When we acknowledge these feelings we no longer have to pretend to be that which we are not. It is enough to be what we are! We discover that rigid pride is actually the supreme foe of inner victory, while flexible humility, the kind of humility that appears when we do not demand the impossible or the angelic of ourselves, is the great ally of psychic peace.” 10 likes