Start by marking “The Imposter” as Want to Read:
The Imposter

The Imposter

From the outside looking in, Sibley Sawyer has a perfect life. As a successful attorney, she’s worked hard to get to the top of her game—but when her personal and professional lives implode, Sibley looks for a way to turn the page.

Unable to shake the tragic circumstances that caused her to flee her rural Midwestern hometown, Sibley wants nothing more than to reunite with h
Published March 9th 2021

To ask other readers questions about The Imposter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Imposter

Start your review of The Imposter
Bridgett
Jan 21, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: f-cking-awful, arc
If you enjoy reading an entire book full of characters who are totally gorked out of their heads and completely unreliable, this is the book for you.

The Imposter was chapter after chapter after chapter of confused ramblings...chapters which frequently made no sense. I personally hate this type of story. It's lazy misdirection. Who needs a plot when you can just make the characters seem totally off the wall? Further, the threads of the story simply didn't tie together well. It felt choppy.

Th
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
The Imposter by Marin Montgomery is a twisty and confusing psychological thriller. Neither of the main characters are at all likeable and the story jumped all over the place. A divorce lawyer with a serious drinking problem and her estranged mother reunite and try to uncover the family secrets and lies.

Thanks to Thomas and Mercer for my copy of this book to read
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
DNF @ 10%. Not connecting with the writing, characters or storyline.
Jen
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off a bit slowly, but turns into a wild ride by the time it's over. It centers on mother and daughter Deborah and Sibley, who have been estranged for 16 years, since Sibley's father died. Sibley's marriage and job are both on the brink of failure, and she decides she needs to go back home and reconnect with her mother, as well as learn more about what really happened the night her father died.

The book starts out describing what is going on in both Sibley and Deborah's life sepa
Kristy
A confusing mess of a thriller

Attorney Sibley Sawyer's life goes down in flames when her drinking finally catches up with her. Forced to take a leave of absence from her firm, Sibley seeks the perceived source of her problems: her mother, Deborah. The two have been estranged since Sibley fled home in her late teens. But when Sibley returns to the Midwestern farm where she grew up, she realizes her mother is acting odd. Perhaps it's due to her recent attack, when an intruder brutally beat her. Ei
booksNpenguins
Dec 01, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
ARC provided by NetGalley and Marin Montgomery in exchange for a review ^__^
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
20515174

I remember reading Marin Montgomery's "What We Forgot to Bury" and I didn't like it much, but it wasn't because of the writing it was the story that didn't grab me. I also remember thinking I would give her another go if the opportunity came up. Well am I ever glad I did!

I wouldn't really call this book a thriller although there is a bit of mystery to it. It's more of a family psychological drama yet I really loved the writing and the tension the author managed to create. I always
Renee
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sibley and her mother Deborah have been estranged for many years. Deborah still lives on the farm where Sibley grew up, even though a tragedy that occurred there, made Deborah a pariah in the community, and made Sibley leave and never look back. But all that happened in the distant past, so could it still be controlling these women’s lives?
When we first meet Sibley, she is not having a good day. Her drinking may cost her everything; her career, her marriage, maybe even her life.Rather than check
Sherri Thacker
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
This book was just ok for me. It was told by 2 different point of views - from Deborah and Sibley. I found myself skimming through parts of the book because it was just moving way too slow for me. I kept going until the end and there were a few twists thrown in that I did not see coming. Will definitely look for more books by Marin Montgomery in the future. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this book in exchange for my honest review.

Mar 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sixteen years ago a tragic event happened to this small family, that impacted the whole community. Deborah the young mother with an abusive husband and Sibley the Daddy's girl.

This story is full of the aftermath of abuse and covering it up to protect your children. The addiction that passes down genetically and the trauma that either pushes you up or drags you down.

So many secrets that you are never completely sure what happened or which event culminated to where they are now. Sixteen years of
Kathy
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded up to 4
Thak you NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I'm not sure what I really expected here and going in cold was a bonus. I enjoyed the twists and while some were predictable, others were not.
Brandy
Dec 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Sibley’s personal and professional life are spiraling out of control. In an effort to try to fix the root cause of her problems she decides to return home to reunite with her estranged mother in order to find closure on past events. Unbeknownst to Sibley, her mother has suffered her own recent trauma and is dealing with the aftermath.

I often felt confused as to what exactly what happening because both narrators are unreliable; Did she really just see that? Did that really just happen? Who is te
Melissa Sinicki
The Imposter by Marin Montgomery
Pub date March 9, 2021 by Thomas & Mercer
This was the first book I’ve read by Marin Montgomery, so I didn’t know what to expect. What I got was a wild ride that kept me guessing until the very end. The book features two narrators, Deborah, the mother, and Sibley, her adult daughter. They have been estranged for 14 years, since the time that Sibley’s father died in an accident on their farm that was considered suspicious by some in their small town. It was always
Larissa
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the twisted story of an estranged mother & daughter duo - Deborah and Sibley. Not only a few thousand miles of distance and 16 years of disaffection separate our main characters, but also a fatal event that remains a mystery.
This is better than your typical family psychological drama, this thriller will make any reader unsure of what is reality as neither of them consistent narrators.
Told by dual POV, the books starts with Deborah suffering an unexplained attack in her our home. She i
Claire Livingstone
Deborah, a mother with a daughter who left and never returned. Deborah hasn't talked to Sibley in several years, she was not invited to her daughters wedding and has no relationship with her besides those of her teenage years. Deborah still lives on the family farm trying to move on with her life, she has started seeing someone in secret, going to therapy, and living. Until her daughter unexpectedly returns home.

Sibley, is a divorce attorney who's drinking problem has caused the partners at the
Amber
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twist and turns galore!
This is a book that has a lot going on in it. The story starts out with Deborah. She begins hearing banging on her front door so when she goes to the door with the gun she ends up slipping on the ice but then someone kicks her in the head and she becomes unconscious.
Thousands miles away her daughter Sibley, a really successful amazing divorce attorney, ends up getting suspended at her firm and her husband is completely convinced that she is having an affair. So, during h
Doris Wiggins
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing Sibley as an outstanding divorce attorney, no one would guess she'd come from a small midwestern town.
Looks can be deceiving. She is a functional alcoholic. What's more her firm has suspended her until she goes to rehab. Her husband is upset at her because he thinks she had an affair. Her life sucks.
She decides to go back home and see if she can mend the relationship with her mother. They haven't seen or spoken to each other for years. Ever since Sibley left her hometown.
What she encoun
ReadingTilTheBreakOfDawn
The Imposter is a psychological thriller that focuses on a mother and daughter that have been estranged for many years. Only when the daughter is being forced into rehab by her husband and work does she return to where she grew up to seek answers to her past. She hopes in getting closure to her past that she will get to continue and move on with her future.

The beginning of the book starts out a little slowly in Deborah's POV. She's a woman (the mother in this case) that is seeking out help in he
Alison
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Release date is March 9, 2021**

"Nothing makes us so lonely as our secrets." ~ Paul Tournier

Sibley is a successful divorce attorney, but a raging alcoholic. Her marriage and career are on the brink of collapse. Instead of heading to rehab, she decides to travel to her hometown in hopes of getting some answers regarding her tragic past.

Deborah is somewhat of an outcast in her small Midwestern town. Locals have cast judgement on her based upon rumors. She lives in an old, run-down farmhouse that
Savitri (IG: bookishcatsavant)
Thank you to the author for gifting me a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.
——
I like to keep my reviews as positive or neutral as possible because it’s incredibly daunting to write a book but much easier to read and review someone else’s book.

That being said, this book was in one word, a challenge (ok, two words). In the beginning 25% of the book, I was drawn to the first of the 2 main characters, Deborah. As a woman living alone in a small town and having a lot of tumultuous his
Michelle Beginandendwithbooks
Thank you author Marin Montgomery and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review an eARC of The Imposter.

The novel opens during a Midwest winter, and I immediately related to the author’s sentiments regarding the seasons. Part one focuses on a widowed mother, Deborah, living alone on her family’s farmland. The novel moves between the points of view of Deborah and her daughter, Sibley. Part two focuses on Sibley, a 34-yr-old attorney, and the pace picks up with her storyline. By part three,
Hannah Rumohr
Thank you to Netgalley and Marin Montgomery for my ARC of THE IMPOSTER in exchange for a review!

Sibley Sawyer has the model life- she is married and is a very successful attorney. However, the cracks in the foundation of her life start to make themselves known in more ways than one. When she gets into trouble at work, she is forced to attend rehab to get herself back on the right track, only she chooses to change up the plans a little bit and visit her estranged mother. As Sibley gets back to he
Amanda McHugh
Sometimes, I go into a book without any expectations, and after a string of particularly heavy books, I was eager to start a title with a psychological bent that would keep me on my toes.

When Sibley is forced on sabbatical from her law firm, she decides to return to her childhood home in order to face her demons. Upon arrival, however, she finds her mother Deborah in waning health. She's seeing things. She's hearing things. And running beneath their familial tensions is a deeper, darker secret
Katharine Reppert
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
❌❌BOOK REVIEW❌❌
The Imposter by @marin
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Thank you so much @marin for giving my this ARC of her new novel. I was very excited to read this!

The beginning was very slow doing the back story and establishing the main characters. I did find myself very intrigued with the main charter Sibley. Her life is wild and has a lot going on.

The story goes between 2 different POV and I enjoy reading different perspectives of the story. This twisted tale was a psychological thriller between a mother
Larissa
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
✨Book Review✨
📖: The Imposter
✍️: Marin Montgomery
Told by dual POV, the books starts with Deborah suf
Rebecca Patrick
Feb 18, 2021 rated it liked it
TW topics such as alcohol and medication misuse, domestic violence and loss of an infant.

THE IMPOSTER follows Sibley, an in denial addict who’s life is crumbling around her. Her husband wants her to go to rehab, Sibley wants to go home to find answers, and resolve the relationship with her estranged mother. Once there, it becomes clear to both women that neither are who they left behind.

A slow burner to begin with but I raced through the last 60%! I enjoyed the chapters alternating between Sible
Jessica Laguna
Mar 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: march-2021
"'Sometimes what we forget is more important than what we remember.'"

Holy unreliable narrator Batman.

Sibley and her mother Deborah are estranged, and both have their own problems. Sibley is an alcoholic headed for divorce and possible disbarment, and Deborah has been attacked in her own home and is having trouble believing what she sees and hears. Together, these two are the queens of all unreliable narrators. The entire time I was reading I kept saying whatttttttt? Did that really happen? Did
Shalee
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and thrilling, The Imposter is everything you can ask for in a book! Sibley’s life is, for lack of a better phrase, a sh**show, slowly spiraling down the drain. When she makes her way back home to visit her mother for the first time in years, nothing is how it should be. Her mother is acting weird, and the events surrounding her father’s untimely death keep being dredged up. The ending is truly insane. The only thing that kept this from being a 5 star read for me is that I felt some p ...more
literallymc
The synopsis of The Imposter really got my attention and I was thrilled to receive an ARC (e-copy) in exchange for my review.
This was also a first for me from this author and having read reviews of her work I was looking forward to this opportunity!
Sadly, this one falls short for me. I found it slow and confusing. Both narrators, Mother Deborah & Daughter Sibley, are completely unreliable. Which I think may have been the point given the dysfunctional relationship and family's past history.
By the