Start by marking “Treasure” as Want to Read:
Treasure

Treasure

(Hush (Amazon Original Stories))

A darkly comic short story of class divide, the lives we invent, and the very real risks of preserving an Insta-fame facade by the award-winning author of My Sister, the Serial Killer.

Treasure is a wannabe Instagram influencer in Lagos, Nigeria. She shows off a luxurious life in a gated community that her almost five thousand followers can only dream of. @Sho4Sure is deter
Published July 30th 2020 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure

Start your review of Treasure
MarilynW
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Treasure is the sixth story I've read from the Hush Collection. Despite the synopsis calling it a "darkly comic short story of class divide", I didn't find anything about it that would fit the term "comic".  It is dark, brutal, and there were hints of more brutality than on the surface. Treasure, a house worker who dreams of Instagram fame, is being stalked by a brute of a man, and in the background, I feel that there are clues that this isn't his first round of stalking or worse. (view spoiler) ...more
Michael David (on hiatus)
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Treasure is a budding Instagram star who is eager to grow her platform and become an influencer. Posting pictures of her wonderful life in Nigeria, it’s normal to get a few fans. One fan in particular is determined to meet Treasure in person and be a part of her lavish life.

I’m not sure how this is described as “darkly comic”...It is not. It’s another story on the dangers of social media, and it is done quite well. It’s not something that will haunt me forever, but I love how it’s written as so
Matt
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Be sure to check for my review, first posted on Mystery and Suspense, as well as a number of other insightful comments by other reviewers.

In the final piece from the original HUSH collection, Oyinkan Braithwaite offers readers a unique story that speaks more to the lure of social media than anything else. Quick and with her native Nigerian tilt, Braithwaite keeps reader on their toes until the final reveal. Recommended to those who enjoy something a little
Bibi
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

Super short cautionary story
about online influencers and the length at which people go in order to present a false reality. Set in Lagos, Treasure is a dark comedy that should have us reflecting on our online privacy and how innocuous posts might result in real-life tragic consequences.

Highly recommend.
Nilufer Ozmekik
My sister, serial killer was my favorite debut dark comedy/thriller of the last year. When I saw the author’s name at the writers list who contributed this remarkable Hush series, I punched the air and danced on my dinner table ( I don’t cook so I wanted to use the space for something useful like performing my artsy moves)

The story takes place in Lagos, Virginia. There are two sisters: Treasure and Patience ( yes, another sisters with opposite characters. One of them is social butterfly and ris
Carolyn Walsh
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the six novellas by noted writers. Treasure is by the author of My Sister the Serial Killer. These six short novels are available from Amazon Prime.
Treasure is the name of a social influencer on Instagram. She has many followers who view her fashionable, wealthy lifestyle in Lagos, Nigeria with interest.
One of her fans is a young man who is struck by her beauty and wealth. He wants to marry her and share her life of luxury in the big mansion. First he must ask her father for consent. Th
Ceecee
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Treasure is an Instagram star with many followers who envy her lifestyle. Patience helps her takes the pictures to post. @Sho4sure decides she is the girl for him. What unfolds is a twisty and surprising story story of deception and obsession. My final short story from the excellent Amazon Hush Collection
Bridgett
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is my sixth and final read from the Hush Collection, and aside from Snowflakes, which I intensely disliked, this was my least favorite. While it's a great representation on the dangers of social media, that's really all it is. The story seemed unfinished to me, and I wasn't a huge fan of the writing. The setting was cool though.

UPDATE
Now that I've completed the series, here is my ranking of the six stories:
1. Buried
2/3. Let Her Be & Slow Burner tied for second place
4. The Gift
5. Treasure
Jayme
Online DECEPTION becomes OBSESSION.

This is another one of the six Amazon Original short stories from the HUSH Collection-6 stories-6 Deceptions.

Described as a darkly comic tale written by Oyinkan Braithwaite, author of My Sister, The Serial Killer. If you enjoyed that one, you should enjoy this one as well!!

The narration by Adepero Oduye enhanced the experience for me, so I highly recommend the audible!
Listening length is 47 minutes

A great way to sample the work of an author you may not be fam
Derek
Nov 22, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Treasure is one of six short stories in the Amazon Hush Collection.

I wasn't a fan of Braithwaite's wildly popular My Sister, The Serial Killer but was still excited to give her a go on this short story. I'm intrigued by stories involving "social media influencers" as it's something this middle-aged man is critical about. Get a few drinks in me and you'll likely get a way too honest answer. So I also realize it's an area of opportunity for me to grow and gain a better understanding. That's why I'
Tamar...playing hooky for a few hours today
I do not appear to be a fan of Oyinkan Braithwaite, I think maybe that what I liked best about My Sister, The Serial Killer was the quirky title. Her humor seems to go over or under my radar. Never-the-less, she writes a good tale about flawed, unlikable characters (the most interesting kind), which is probably what I like best about her work. I wonder why people who incessantly post on instragram (and/or other social media platforms), are surprised when they end up being targeted by some repuls ...more
Javier
Aug 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Darkly comic? How can this be described as comic? Did the person who wrote that even read this before?

Short story about the dangers of social media and the fakeness of all those seemingly perfect lives we see on Instagram, that brought to mind a quote from the movie “Scream 4” (I know, a masterpiece 😅) and that sums up “Treasure” perfectly: “I don’t need friends; I need fans”

With 3 more stories to read in the Hush Collection, my current ranking is:
1. Slow burner
2. Treasure
3. Snowflakes
luce ❀ wishfully reading ❀ semi hiatus
| | blog | tumblr | ko-fi | |

Treasure is a short story story that explores the darker side of Instagram fame. Treasure is an aspiring influencer who is quite willing to present a glamorised version of her life to her follower. She likes the attention, the compliments, and the devotion of her fans. User @Sho4Sure has become particularly obsessed by Treasure and one small oversight on her part will have dangerous consequences for both of them.
Treasure is a story that is bursting with irreverent
Christina
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all of the "Hush" stories I read, this one and "Slow Burner" have stayed with me the longest.

This is the story of Treasure, a budding Instagram sensation in a village in Africa who posts beautiful pics of herself in her Fendi, Gucci, and other finery. She's doing a great job amassing a dedicated following to her luxurious life...including one follower nearby who might be just a little too obsessed.

I really enjoyed the writing, the setting, and all of the class issues in the book. I was legiti
Julie (JuJu)
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
“Treasure” is Book 2 of 6 from the Hush collection by Amazon Original Stories.

This short story was described as a darkly comic and was written by the author of “My Sister, the Serial Killer”, which is on my TBR list. Sadly, this one didn’t impress me, like Book 1.

My Rating: 3 ⭐️’s

#ShortStory #AmazonOriginalStories
Obsidian
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Treasure" is the second story in the "Hush Collection" published by Amazon. I have never read a book by Braithwaite before, but am definitely going to seek out her longer works after this. This was a wholly engaging story about the lives we put on display via social media and who we truly are when we are alone.

"Treasure" follows a young Nigerian girl who wants to use Instagram in order to become an "instagram influencer." Treasure's life and photos show how wonderful her life is and with her 5
Michelle
Aug 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
This will not be my first and last book by this author. This short story was fantastic!

Set I'm Nigeria, Treasure is obsessed with her Instagram account. The goal is 5,000 followers, getting that blue tick and becoming an influencer.

It just takes one post to pose a threat to the whole dream, just one tiny mistake on one single post and the cards can come tumbling down.

As long as you delete it fast, its going to be OK. Right?

This is part of the Hush collection, six stories ranging from politic
Lisa
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-author, audio
My second read of the short story hush collection and I really liked it.
I was excited as I really loved My Sister, the Serial Killer and this has a very similar vibe.
Too short of course, but plenty packed in to give it lots of punch!
Edward Lorn
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cool story about the dangers of putting too much information online. Love that it was set in Lagos. Don't think I've read anything set in Nigeria before. I need to fix that. Any recommendations? ...more
Kay
Treasure is a part of the Hush Collection from Amazon.

Have you seen reality vs Instagram photos on the internet? Some are really funny. This is a story about Treasure who wants to be a famous internet influencer. It became too real when a crazed follower managed to find her. Good and entertaining story.
kemi
Jan 19, 2022 rated it liked it
Oyinkan’s writing >>>

Ngl I think I love reading her books (even the short stories) because;

1. She’s Nigerian and it feels like home when I’m reading the pidgin English in her books
2. She always makes her books interesting. Even if they are just out of pocket (like ‘the baby is mine) I will still be forever entertained.

3.75⭐️
Thushara
This novella literally made me open my Instagram and check all of my geotags (if you know, you know).

Braithwaite strikes again! I love how her works always critically examines the concept of beauty and ego. This particular short story is a satire on influencer culture. One might say that it was predictable but Braithwaite's stories are always about the journey, diving deep into the character's psyche and exploring. However, because it was short, it felt flat. Her writing always packs a punch an
Richard
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
One of six books in the Hush Collection from Amazon.
All by notable writers; but as with reading choices some like Oyinkan Braithwaite were new to me.
So another chance to spend sometime with an author in a project you are interested in to compare and contrast and see how their storytelling resonates.

I liked this tale of two not dissimilar people attracted to each other for different reasons while existing in the same place but worlds apart.

Treasure loves her phone and how she can manipulate socia
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it
These Hush collection stories are all very current and relevant to us today, as in right now. I can’t help but notice as I am reading the subjects cropping up and thinking, was this written yesterday?

This story was ok, a bit YA perhaps for me, a general summary of the story would be the dangers of Instagram which is not something I am into myself. The protagonist Treasure seems ambitious but also quite vain and not particularly likeable, although I may be in the minority here, other people may t
debbicat *made of stardust*
By now I think must know to not believe everything or everyone you see on social media. This story is completely about Instagram. Geez. I’ve read more than one book this summer about Instagram influencers and that whole scam. Too much deception and I’m usually wise to it at this point. What happens here is terrible. I didn’t want to finish the short story honestly. But, I felt I wanted to know what happened. It’s not at all pleasant. I’m glad it was a free short story. Leaves me feeling kinda si ...more
Ben Haskett
A simple but well written short story. It felt familiar: A young woman invents a persona on Instagram that makes her appear to be far more financially secure, more carefree, more thoughtful than she really is. She borrows things that don't belong to her (jewelry, nice clothes, etc.), stages selfies, and includes the usual hashtags like "blessed," etc.

She attracts the attention of a young man, who does a little inventing himself: After some anodyne messaging between the two of them, he decides th
Caro (Bookaria)
Sep 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a dark, twisted short story about a girl obsessed with growing her Instagram followers and the unexpected consequences this might bring.

The story was engaging from beginning to end and I enjoyed it as much as the author’s novel My Sister, the Serial Killer.
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️(on a break)
Treasure is part of the AMAZON HUSH collection of short stories.

Insta-fame and obsession are the topics of this short story set in Nigeria that talks about the class divide. When harmless flirting becomes obsession and mania, life as it is, goes for a toss for Treasure.

Short with a thumping punch at the end!

I haven’t read My Sister, the Serial Killer which was a sensational hit and became all the rage not that long ago. Methinks, it is high time that I remedied the situation.

A #KindleUnlimited
Erin
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this short story just reminds me that I haven't yet listed to my audiobook of My Sister, the Serial Killer and I really need to get to it soon. Treasure learns the hard way that you better be careful about what you are putting up on Instagram. You just might have a follower who thinks it's your real life!

Definitely a memorable one!

Goodreads review published 12/08/20

• There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
  • Hannah-Beast
  • Miao Dao
  • The Contractors
  • Fog Descending (House of Crows, #2)
  • Love the Way You Lie (House of Crows, #4)
  • Circling the Drain (House of Crows, #3)
  • Bear Witness
See top shelves…
OYINKAN BRAITHWAITE is a graduate of Creative Writing and Law from Kingston University. Following her degree, she worked as an assistant editor at Kachifo, a Nigerian publishing house, and has been freelancing as a writer and editor since. In 2014, she was shortlisted as a top-ten spoken-word artist in the Eko Poetry Slam, and in 2016 she was a finalist for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize. She ...more

Hush (Amazon Original Stories) (6 books)
  • Snowflakes