Start by marking “Wingfeather Tales” as Want to Read:
Wingfeather Tales

Wingfeather Tales

(The Wingfeather Saga)

In hardcover at last, featuring new illustrations and the first-ever Wingfeather comic, now in print for the first time! Return to the world of the Wingfeather Saga with Andrew Peterson and his all-star author friends.

Immerse yourself in a land of bomnubbles and quarreling cousins, sea dragons and book publishers, thieves and Fangs and secret maps. Here within these pages
Published March 23rd 2021 by Waterbrook Press (first published November 25th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Wingfeather Tales, please sign up.
Athelas Hale It's an add-on book! Some of the stories take place before, some after, and some have no direct relation to the main character at all. You should be s…moreIt's an add-on book! Some of the stories take place before, some after, and some have no direct relation to the main character at all. You should be sure to read the entire main series before you read this. (less)

Start your review of Wingfeather Tales
Carin Meerdink
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having loved Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather Saga, I was thrilled to participate in the Kickstarter campaign to bring an animated series based on the books to the screen. Wingfeather Tales was one of the promised rewards for backers. I was intrigued by the concept--a collection of short stories by different authors set in the Wingfeather World. Not a sequel, but a companion to the original works. I was intrigued, but I can't say I was all that enthusiastic, because it just wouldn't be the same, an ...more
Micah Ferguson
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad, but great.
Rebekah
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome!!!! I should warn you, it doesn't mention any of the Wingfeathers in it, so you will finish reading it knowing just as much about the outcome of their family as you would after having read his other four books. Also, Andrew Peterson only wrote one of the short stories within. So basically, this collection of tales is like very high end fan fiction. It IS high end though. All the stories are written extremely well. (Some arguably better than Andrew Peterson.) I really enjoyed ...more
Nate Thern
This book gets five enthusiastic stars on the strength of the heartbreakingly poignant novella The Places Beyond the Maps. It also has 4 other short stories and a poem.

The Prince of Yorsha Doon: Fun, solid short story about a distant city that (I think) was mentioned a few times in the Wingfeather Saga canon. It gets 3+ stars that are swamped by the gripping & epic 5 star journey in The Places Beyond the Maps.

The Wooing of Sophelia Stupe: Short, goofy, semi-neurotic story that gets 3 stars which
Katherine Forster
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is awesome in every sense of the word. Full review to come.
Athelas Hale
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
First off: You should buy this book. Here. It's on sale right now.

When on Saturday, a friend asked me what my plans for this week were, I told him it was to read one more book. I had spontaneously set 50 books as my to-read goal on Goodreads at the beginning of the year- I had one more book to go. Because I have no life, I had no other plans.

Christmas morning (well, all right, it was Christmas Eve due to the shifting of schedules for Church on Sunday, Christmas morning), I was handed a package b
Beth Anne
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, read-aloud, 2019
2019:
Each story is so different. Trying to put down a few thoughts about each

Story 1: I liked better on reread. The first time I was wanting a different story; knowing what was coming helped me appreciate it even more.

Story 2: My least favorite. Clunky to read, especially the first half. I do think it finishes strong.

Story 3: Still think it’s almost too short but really well done.

Story 4: I liked this one more on reread as well. It’s a fantastic look into the early life of Podo, of what made
Rebekah
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-mini-library
I finished this book a few weeks ago and forgot to update.

Oh, what sweet little adventures were awaiting me in this book! I would highly recommend!
Paul Willis
So this wasn't as epic as the original series. :)
But I still liked it.
Especially the Ballad of Lanric and Rube.
Verity Buchanan
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard to rate because of the variety between stories, but overall I'd give it a solid 4, maybe even pushing to 4.5 -- but I'm picky with my 5-stars.

The novella that closes this out is fantastic in theme and subject matter (and twists!), though even my forgiving self found the author's long-winded sentences and liberties with punctuation a little taxing at first.

For the rest, I found them enjoyable, fun in the typical whimsical Wingfeather way. Somehow, without a common plotline to ti
Luke Miller
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
When I was young, my sisters would normally devour all of their Christmas candy within the first few days. Not me. I tucked most of mine away in a drawer and savored it a little at a time over the next weeks and months. Turns out, I do the same thing with books. At any given time, I have 5-10 books laying around the house or office that I already know are going to be 5-star favorites. I had this particular book put aside for a couple months when I finally jumped in.

If you have not read the four
Before I start this review, a few things to clear up: Wingfeather Tales is not a sequel. It's a companion anthology of short stories; some take place before the Saga, some after, and some during roughly the same time. It also does not explicitly suggest anything more about what happened with the epilogue of Warden, which is actually good- I have my headcanon and it makes me very happy, and I like not having said headcanon shattered by actual canon. (That said, there is a tiny piece near the end ...more
Lindsay B
Ok, so I might not have actually finished the book. It was a collection of a few different short stories, each one by a different author. I read all of the stories except the last one which was The Places Beyond the Maps. I decided to rate the stories individually instead of rating the book. The Prince of Yorsha Doon by Andrew Peterson: ⭐⭐⭐.
The Wooing of Sophelia Stupe by Jennifer Trafton: ⭐. Willow World's by N.D Wilson: ⭐⭐⭐⭐. From the Deeps of the Dragon King by A. S. Peterson: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐. The Ball
Gina Johnson
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well...it doesn't come even close to comparing to the Wingfeather Saga but it was good. We all enjoyed it, some stories more than others, the very last story, by Douglas McKelvey was beautiful and epic and moving and tied perfectly with the original series. We also really enjoyed the story written by A.S. Peterson, Andrew's brother, and we're probably going to read some of his other books now too. (It should be noted my children thought I should give it 5 stars.) ...more
Mitchell Rothenberger
This book is a good idea, and gives a reason as to why it shouldn’t be attempted in the future. Because we all have our own unique identities and thoughts and processes, you can never get someone to create a story within a word you created and have it be well done. It makes for one interesting collection of everyone’s take on different characters within Peterson’s world, and I wish Peterson had just written his own stories.
4 star tends to be the highest I go on a book that I thoroughly enjoy, s
Bob
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun collection of stories based on the Wingfeather Saga series. They generally go along with it well, closely matching the whimsical humor and creativity, yet deep subject matter. Let me warn you, though, that last story is a doozy: it's darker than the rest of the series, I felt, but still powerful. Most of the other short stories in this book are really quite light-hearted and enjoyable.

Last note, in case someone needs a hint (because I almost didn't figure it out, except by accident), (vie
John
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds, 2017
I began reading this one out loud to my kids, who all loved the Wingfeather Saga. They loved these too, until we got about half way through "The Places Beyond the Map."

All of the stories are good, but some are simply great. "From the Deeps of the Dragon King" and the "The Places Beyond the Map" are two of the very best. These stories are complex, emotive, and beautiful.

Though Douglas McKelvey lost my kids (10, 8, and 6) half way through his novella, I read on myself and found the story only got
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Interesting collection of stories from a variety of authors set in this world. I somehow missed this series, and don't have the fantasy readers to justify purchasing this four book series that originally came out in paperback in 2008 (On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness) but has been reissued. Good to know about it, so this was an interesting way to get a taste of that world.
Daniel
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peterson does it again; this time with comrades! I read most of this aloud with my oldest son and we regularly found ourselves either laughing out loud or on the edge of our seats. Of course, one should not even remotely consider reading this without having first read the four-book Wingfeather Saga.
Bojana
Dec 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

When I've read the first book of The Wingfeather Saga last November, I was thrilled. I believe there's nothing that magic as a good middle-grade fantasy. So I was absolutely delighted when I found out there is a book of stories set in world of Aerwiar. It was pleasant read, perfect for this time of year: tucked in a blanket, with a cup of hot cocoa.

Josh
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Until Douglas McKelvey's contribution, I was thinking three stars would be plenty adequate. ...more
Rachel {bibliopals}
You have to read it as it's okay own book. Not comparing it to the Saga. Once I got this in my head,I enjoyed it a lot more. ...more
Kristi Drillien
(3.5 / 5)

For me, last year will forever be known as the year of the Wingfeathers. I read the entire Wingfeather Saga for the 1st time...and the 2nd time, in a way, as the author, Andrew Peterson, read his books live, a few chapters a day, throughout the year. This book is a collection of 7 stories set in that same world, written by 6 different authors. First, let me get some basic info out of the way: Yes, you really should read this only if you've read the Wingfeather Saga in its entirety, whic
Dylan
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of the Wingfeather Saga, so I was very excited when I found out there was going to be a collection of short stories set in Aerwiar. I am going to review the short stories in the order they appear:

1. The Prince of Yorsha Doon by Andrew Peterson - This story was actually my least favorite of the 6 short stories, because it didn't feel like it was set it Aerwiar. Though he wrote the Wingfeather Saga, I don't think he captured the magic of Aerwier quite as well as he did in the serie
Mar 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
So, I originally reviewed the Kickstarter version of this book when it was first published. Most of my opinions and impressions stand for this reread, so I'll copy it below my reread-review. Scroll down and read it (or go to this link: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...). Then read my new thoughts.

-I continue to be glad that these are not sequels to the main Wingfeather family storyline. No matter what Peterson decided regarding that storyline, someone would've been upset, and something wo
A.M. Reynwood
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather saga thoroughly, so one can only imagine the thrill of learning of and getting your hands on a collection of short stories set in the same universe. Each of these tales carries the same sense of whimsy and wonder as the original saga, giving more depth to the history, world, and characters that makes you wish you could jump through the pages and be there. ...more
Jeremy
Read only Wilson's entry so far, easily the shortest story of the collection. Fun connections to the Cupboards books—Henry (kind of) makes an appearance. The phrase "willow worlds" appears in Leepike Ridge (p. 6).

I haven't read any of Peterson's books yet, but I'd like to.

Some artwork by friends/acquaintances from my years at Bob Jones: Cory Godbey and Justin Gerard.
Kristen Usher
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each story pulls in some delightful quality of the original book (Silliness! Redemption! Wordplay! Punctuation!) while being its own unique story. These short stories aren't just side bars, but full, rich tales from the world that Andrew Peterson created. ...more
Naomi
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fiction, faith
Probably 4.5 stars. The last story was amazing!
Kristin
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished, and I am sobbing. Wonderful, wonderful stories!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)
  • North! Or Be Eaten: (Wingfeather Series 2)
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • The Last Archer (Green Ember Archer #1)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Empire of Bones (Ashtown Burials #3)
  • The First Fowler (Green Ember Archer #2)
  • The Drowned Vault (Ashtown Burials, #2)
  • Dandelion Fire (100 Cupboards, #2)
  • The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3)
  • Present Danger (Rocky Mountain Courage, #1)
  • Every Moment Holy
  • Henry and the Chalk Dragon
  • Boys of Blur

The Wingfeather Saga (4 books)
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)