Start by marking “Rumpole Rests His Case” as Want to Read:
Rumpole Rests His Case

Rumpole Rests His Case (Rumpole of the Bailey #11)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  827 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Fans old and new will welcome this brand-new volume in John Mortimer's hugely popular series-Horace Rumpole's first appearance in six years. The comic, courageous, and corpulent "great defender of muddled and sinful humanity" reenters the fray in a book that sends up the British legal system as deftly as ever. Rumpole Rests His Case brings us seven fresh and funny stories ...more
Published November 11th 2002 by Viking Adult (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole Rests His Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole Rests His Case

Maureen Lo
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, owned
Back in the 80s, I was a fanatic of all things British. Music, dramas, The BBC and Rumpole. I can't get enough of their dry wit. Ironic, sarcastic and self-deprecating. A thoroughly enjoyable read then and still is now. ;)
Damaskcat
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horace Rumpole has an encyclopaedic memory of his old cases and inevitably he comes across people he has defended from time to time. In the first story - Rumpole and the Old Familiar Faces - two people he has come across in the past have cause to regret meeting his again. I particularly enjoyed Rumpole and the Camberwell Carrot in which Phillida Erskine-Brown finds an idol has feet of clay.

I recall reading the last story in this book when it was first published and wondering whether the last sto
Tony
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mortimer, John. RUMPOLE RESTS HIS CASE. (2002). ****.
This is a collection of short stories featuring Rumpole and his efforts in the Old Bailey addressing contemporary problems of the day. Although Mortimer’s strength seems to better fit the novel than the short story form, these are still good reads. The difference is that Mortimer dispenses with much of the humor that we have come to expect in the Rumpole series in favor of quicker, deeper character studies. There are seven short stories in th
John Carter
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rumpole-horace
It’s impossible not to like a Rumpole story. I got a bit of a surprise out of this collection though, because I’d just finished Rumpole and the Primrose Path and I found that the first story in that (for which the book is named) follows immediately after the last story here—again the title story. References to earlier cases are common in the Rumpole œuvre, but this is the only case I can think of offhand where the timeline of two tales is so clear and tight. I bought several Rumpoles at the same ...more
Judy
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I love Horace Rumpole. These are seven new short stories in which elderly, rumbled, overweight Horace Rumpole, with his daily glasses of Chateau Thames Embankment and small cigars, is the "great defender of muddled and sinful humanity". And that's the public Rumpole. At home, he quietly battles She Who Must Be Obeyed--his wife, Hilda. All of the familiar characters are here in these stories and all are delightful.
Amy
I'm a John Mortimer, particularly a Rumpole, fan. Rumpole will forever,. in my mind, be as portrayed in the PBS production by Leo McKErn.

These were some fine stories that allowed me to revisit with old friends from Rumpole's world.
Doug
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I actually listened to this as an audio book. I've done this with two of his books -- Luckily they both had excellent readers that brought the characters to life. Wonderfully enjoyable. Plus I get to walk around hearing my thoughts in a rich british accent for the next couple of days!
Kasia James
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Good solid stuff from Sir John Mortimer again - an enjoyable ramble through the back corridors of the Old Bailey. I always susepct that barristers would never really get to do so much detective work as Rumpole, but perhaps would like to.
Highly recommended.
Dayle
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Great collection of short stories.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
I had a sneaking feeling the whole time that I had read these stories before. It is both the blessing and curse of Mortimer's writing. It is well written, enjoyable to read, memorable characters, but not really memorable plots. They are so easy to read that they don't stick too well. The one thing I got from this reading was that Mortimer lived very near where I live now and named a lot of the minor characters and places around places that are nearbly. There was a Lady Shiplake and a Lady Binfie ...more
MisterFweem
As much as I enjoy watching Leo McKern play at Rumpole of the Bailey on PBS, this book by creator John Mortimer is only tolerable. McKern adds so much to the characterization of Rumpole that it's enjoyable. Reading Mortimer's prose, however, isn't much of a pleasure. Certainly, they add a lot taking one of his short stories -- and that's pretty much what these are -- and fleshing it out into a full episode. Mortimer ought to try that with his stories as well.
Rade
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
most of the stories were pretty short and kind of predictable. None of them made me say "no way that guy did it." I never heard of Rumpole before and since this was the book I had at hand, I gave it a shot. Not sure if I will read other books that featured this ambitious character. The stories did not suck me in but I still powered through as I try not to give up on books very often.
Richard Thompson
37. RUMPOLE REST HIS CASE by John Mortimer / Viking 2001 / ISBN 0-670-91085-6 / crime-humour / completed 10.09.10 / I think I must have read this before some time in the past. The titles of some of the pieces seemed very familiar. Still a fun read the second time round (if it was the second time round...)
Heather
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first taste of Rumpole. Mortimer's character is delightful - he reminds me a bit of Columbo, a bit of Holmes, in the ways in which he goes about solving the crimes. This is a collection of short stories.
Priscilla
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun, even during short trips. Because the book is broken into chapters of self-contained cases, it was easy to consume during short commutes to and from work. Laughing in the car made provoked sidelong glances from other drivers. Oh, they know not what they are missing!
Jerry Casey
I'm sure if I were a retired lawyer I would find this hysterical. At this point in my life all I can think is that I'm not that codgerish. ... It was a great light read. Beach reading for a cloudy Oregon beach.
G B'man
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are very few book series that have made me want to jump in, walk the rooms, and sit down for a meal with the characters. Second only to to Hogwarts and the Weasley home in the Harry Potter series, with Rumpole is where I want to be.
Ilona
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the writing, love the wry humour, love the stories. Rumpole is annoying, endearing, self-destructive, self-deprecating, smart, and very, very funny. My grandfather used to read Rumpole books; this is the first I've picked up, but I'll be back for more. Fun!
Scott
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful Rumpole book. It is like bumping into a long lost friend on the streets and after a few moments of conversation it is as if you'd never lost contact.

Mortimer brings back old familiar faces and adds a few new ones. Fans of the Rumpole series should not be disappointed.
Marilou
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rumpole
Even though I've seen all these stories dramatized by Leo Kern, they still sounded fresh and funny. Biting British humour - brought many smiles and a chuckle out loud on many days. Love Rumpole!
Peter
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My buddy, Rumpole. Ah, to be as sharped witted as he (but not as heavy!)
Meredith
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mildly amusing.
Sam
May 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rumpole is very well written and consistently wry and entertaining.
Jessica
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, humor
I love the short format, the quick wit, and the fun methods Rumpole uses to prove his client's innocence. Always a fun read.
Kevin
Sep 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-read
First Rumpole book I actually read after being a fan of the series & christening the missus SWMBO. Apparently the TV series follows the books almost word for word. A nice light funny fast read.
Ruth
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-modern
c2003. Ahhh - this was such a sweet little book. I loved it and it was very funny in a dry, understated English sort of way. Rumpole Rules - ok!!!Recommended.
S Dizzy
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a ripping good time!
Ploni Almoni
Typical Rumpole fodder.
Yvonna Graham
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry British humor with depth of understanding of human nature. I enjoyed the book very much, and will certainly read more by John Mortimer.
Ronald
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read SOMETIME in 2005
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • Agatha Raisin The Curious Curate and The Buried Treasure
  • Young Men in Spats
  • The Silent Speaker (Nero Wolfe, #11)
  • Have I Got Views For You
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Adaptations: From Short Story to Big Screen: 35 Great Stories That Have Inspired Great Films
  • If This is Love, I'll Take Spaghetti
  • Extinction Event (Primeval, #7)
  • Seriously Funny: The Rebel Comedians of the 1950s and 1960s
  • A Certain Justice (Adam Dalgliesh, #10)
  • Haircut and Other Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Baker Street Dozen
  • British Summertime
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • Maigret and the Killer
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole
More about John Mortimer...

Rumpole of the Bailey (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • Rumpole's Return
  • Rumpole for the Defence
  • Rumpole and the Golden Thread
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • Rumpole and the Age of Miracles (Rumpole)
  • Rumpole à la Carte