Start by marking “Mary Thomas's Knitting Book” as Want to Read:
Mary Thomas's Knitting Book

Mary Thomas's Knitting Book

There is a knitting book as dependable as your own private instructor, as complete, as explicit, and equally as helpful . . . Mary Thomas's Knitting Book. It's a veritable encyclopedia of knitting, clearly and definitively explaining and illustrating every method, operation and stitch, and a good number of the patterns you are ever likely to need or use.
After an engaging
Published June 1st 1972 by Dover Publications (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Thomas's Knitting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Thomas's Knitting Book

Apryl Anderson
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the requirements of The Knitting Guild Association for calling my attention to Mary Thomas’s Knitting Book. I hadn’t realized that this is more than an outdated knitting reference; it’s an absolute classic guide to knitwear design. Written in 1938, this is steeped in the British tradition of fitting and detail. Knitwear had barely come out from under layers of tailoring at that point, so it really had to prove itself. Ironically, we’re reminded, “Knitting should be done thoughtfully. ...more
dori
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
i have two of her books and there are useful references here and there, but i no longer consider this a necessary knitting classic - if only because, and yes, i understand the times in which these books came out, there are racist illustrations in them!
Kristie
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, own
This is a fantastic handy guide for all knitters. It really gives great detail on knitting, position of stitches and how to do many things. For the time it was written (late 30's) it's really fantastic. There aren't a lot of pictures on how to do things, but the descriptions suffice. Again for it's time, I don't think books like this were written, they didn't have how to guides on knitting. It was just verbally taught and handed down. This volume is quite inexpensive (less than $10) but extremel ...more
Dyah
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I always looked past this book on the library shelf, just because it didn't look interesting and fancy, no photos, no colored illustrations, etc. And then I borrowed the Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns, it was a really great book, and so I realized that I really have to read this one too. An amazing knitting reference, that tiny little book.

Never...never judge a book by its cover, or by its unfancy appearance.
Catherine
Feb 22, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: craft
I've had this little book since before I learned to knit and have considered passing it along every time I try to cull my shelves but could never let it go. Pulled it off the shelf tonight when I noticed the footnotes referring to it in The Principles of Knitting. The how-to illustrations for technique are great, but the real gems here just might be the whimsical line drawings that illustrate concepts. Looking forward to reading along with the footnotes in PoK.
Lil' Grogan
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: handmade
Great reference, with basic principles for garments, including socks and mittens. Lots of stuff here that I haven't found in more contemporary books - at least not compiled like this.

Historical stuff was interesting. Illustrations (illustrating concepts, not the knitting how-to) were pretty hilarious and some completely out of left field.
Ann Johnson Davis
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
This is one of the few knitting books that The Knitting Goddess Herself (Elizabeth Zimmerman) used as reference. It is excellent, but written in the 1930's and reflects that time period's writing style.
Cayenne
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous knitting resource.
Marilyn
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, owned-books
Highly recommended by people in the Master Knitter Program. I am not sure why. I didn't find it all that helpful or informative. I did find it a bit difficult to read.
Linda
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiber-arts
Good reference.
Martha
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
1938; illustrations much easier to understand than current tendency to use photographs
Linda
Jun 30, 2012
Anwen
Apr 04, 2012
Brixton
rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2010