Start by marking “Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower” as Want to Read:
Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower

Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower

When the witch built the forty-flight tower, she made very sure to do the whole thing properly. Each flight contains a dreadful monster, ranging from a diamond-scaled dragon to a pack of slavering goblins. Should a prince battle his way to the top, he will be rewarded with a golden sword—and the lovely Princess Floralinda.

But no prince has managed to conquer the first fli
Published November 30th 2020 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower, please sign up.
Isaiah I have no idea. I just finished this book and there is no queer content from what I can see. The MC is female and has assigned the fairy to be female …moreI have no idea. I just finished this book and there is no queer content from what I can see. The MC is female and has assigned the fairy to be female as well as fairies do not automatically have genders. The fairy gender system is not any form of trans, but instead just how things are. The love that is mentioned at the end feels more familial or friendly than romantic. (less)

Start your review of Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower
Spencer Orey
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a real treat.

I listened to the audiobook for this one and am glad I did. I love Moira Quirk's narration for the Gideon and Harrow audiobooks, and she's just as brilliant here, in this twisted fairytale novella.

The writing is great. The story is an evil delight. Highly recommended.
Nomadic Reader (Baba Yaga)
This is a short, fun story that subverts classic fairy tale tropes with Tamsyn Muir’s signature irreverence and humor. Although there is some gore involved, it’s markedly less dark than the author’s other works and has a distinctly comedic tone from start to finish.
Personally, I enjoyed the narrative voice and character dynamics above everything else. Muir is consistently great at writing snarky dialogue between terrible people, and even though most lines weren’t as memorable as those in the Lo
Emma Cathryne
Tamsyn Muir has once again produced a work of snarky, fantastic delight. Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower bundles up a set of traditional fairy-tale tropes, lights them on fire, and cheerfully warms its hands over the blaze. When the embers burn down, you are left with something darkly comedic, cleverly imagined, and utterly unique.

Floralinda herself is a princess who has, as princess often are, been trapped at the top of a very tall tower by a very enterprising witch. Each level
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Once upon a time, there was a witch who wanted to imprison a princess in a tower. But she wanted to do it properly, so she made it forty stories tall and filled with varying monsters at every level. Yet the princes never made it passed the first floor, and the princess languished away, as princesses do. Until one day something changed, and the princess decided the only way out was down.

I did not expect to love this Rapunzel retelling as much as I did, but that rather unexpected ending took this
aarya

What had happened was that the witch put Princess Floralinda in a tower forty flights high, but said it wasn’t personal. She told her to cheer up. “Princes will be flocking from near and far to rescue you,” she said. “I’ve covered all my bases. There’s a golden sword at the gates for a prize, if the prince doesn’t care overmuch for princesses, and once he battles his way up thirty-nine flights you’re free to go. I don’t really mind what happens from this point in.”

This is fun. A bit g
idiomatic
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
finished in a single hour-long gasp. a classic gail carson levine but mean.
Miranda
This novella was an instant purchase for me as soon as I saw the cover. It not only looked incredible but sounded very promising once I read the synopsis. I have never read anything by Tamsyn Muir before, but I think this book was a nice introduction.

Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower follows Princess Floralinda after a witch imprisons her in a tower. This tower is very unique with each flight containing a different monster. Floralinda is meant to stay and wait to be rescued by a pr
Heather M
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
IT. RULES. it builds in all kinds of satisfying ways i would never want to ruin, and reads like a videogame i want to be made.
sassafrass
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
has a touch of diana wynne jones about it that i adored, but also adds mean lesbians with giant swords so really the best of all worlds. funny, smart, and a joy from start to delightful finish.
Lisa Wolf
The idea of the princess rescuing herself isn’t exactly new anymore, thanks to the (incredibly welcome) surge in grrl-power fairy tale retellings. Still, in the hands of Tamsyn Muir, this princess story feels fresh and so, so entertaining.

Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower is a slim book (with a wonderful cover!), but it’s jam-packed with humor and adventure (and all sorts of guts and gore, but in a FUNNY gross way).

A witch has imprisoned the beautiful princess at the top of a tower.
Sana
Jul 06, 2020 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
'A dark fantasy novella about what happens when a princess is forced to fend for herself'

ALDLKGHSKD AKA YES, I BADLY, BADLY WANT BECAUSE IT'S BY TAMSYN FUCKING MUIR. PLUS, THAT COVERRRR
Joel
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect
Di Maitland
THIS WAS AWESOME. I can barely contain how much I loved this book. And the narration! <3 Moira Quirk and Tamsyn Muir should never be parted. RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE. Full review to come.
Bandit
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Technically I am the first person actually reviewing this book, the other five reviews are just all about how excited people are about it, which seems like a strange thing to put down instead of a review, but whatever. So onward…this is the other Christmas themed Subterranean Press book I downloaded from Netgalley. By far, the superior one. Firstly, Christmas is only kind of there as a proposed timetable sort of thing, Secondly, this is more along the lines of a proper book, size and story wise. ...more
alice
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I swear to God, Tamsyn Muir is one of the best writers of our generation. This was amazing and innovative and perfect. I have so many things to praise but I need to get my thoughts in order. Just. THIS IS PERFECT! Another favorite of the year, I'm in love.

(Also, listening to it in Moira Quirk's voice brought all the feelings back from Gideon and Harrow the Ninth, so thank you for that, Tamsyn and Moira.)
Katelynn
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was kind of exactly what I thought it would be and I'm not even mad about it. It was a blast and I had so much fun reading it. You follow Floralinda, a princess who's been trapped at the top of the titular Forty-Flight Tower by a witch as she watches prince after prince fail to ascend all the flights in order to save her. She starts to take matters into her own hands with the help of a feisty fairy named Cobweb.

Obviously, this is a feminist take on the age old damsel-in-distress trope,
Mike
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Princess Floralinda has been imprisoned by a witch at the top of a 40-story tower, with a different monster on each of the 39 levels below her. The problem is that none of the princes who come to rescue her manage to make it past the dragon on level 1, and the once-steady stream of princes seems to have petered out, and winter is approaching… So it’s up to Floralinda to find her own way out of the tower. She has to fight, sneak, or trick her way past all 39 monsters, but that’s the sort of thing ...more
Landice (Manic Femme Reviews)
3.5 stars, rounded up.

It's been weeks since I finished this novella and I'm still not sure what to say about it. Overall, it was an enjoyable read from one of my favorite authors, and I'm glad I read it. Will return with more thoughts later.

Update: Tamsyn Muir is one of my auto-buy authors, so when I saw she was releasing a new limited print run novella through Subterranean Press, I decided to pre-order it, even though the $40 price tag gave me pause. I wouldn’t say I regret buying Princess Flo
sofia (sam willows)
thank you tamsyn muir for subtly and casually revolutionizing the fantasy genre
The Captain
Nov 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

The cover drew me in and three things convinced me to read this book:

1. There is a dragon on this cover and the book has a great title;
2. It is a Subterranean Press book and they do great work; and
3. I enjoy unusual fairy tales.

I liked the beginning of this book and other parts of it but did not love it overall.  When I requested this, I didn't recognize the aut
Banshee
This a subversion of one of the most well-known tropes in fairy tales, where a princess gets locked up on top of a tower and a prince is supposed to defeat any obstacles and rescue her. Except it's not exactly how it goes here…

It's best to go into this novella without knowing too much. Prepare to be amazed!

I was laughing my head off most of the time, as the author employed her outstanding skill of writing in a witty and snarky manner. The only times when I cringed instead of laughing was when un
Dylan
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy, ebook
"Those are goblin bites on your hands, aren't they? They're quite infected. Goblins are filthy. You'll be dead in a week."
At Floralinda's new bought of tears, the fairy said a bit diffidently, "Cheer up; you might die earlier."

Picture a version of Rapunzel written by Terry Pratchett and you've got a pretty good idea of what this novella is.

Edit 11/30: Going to leave my original review in-tact but I wanted it to edit it to say that this is in-fact available as an ebook as well which is great. I w
Kahlia
I sometimes feel like the only person who didn’t like Gideon the Ninth but this sounds awesome so I’ll give Muir a second chance. 🤞
bird
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i had rly missed the mid-90s princess fantasy wry narrative voice and i am delighted to have it back especially as now it's gay and absolutely dreadful ...more
Denise
4.5 stars- great ending for this anti-fairy tale!

One quote:
Witches do their best work in spring and summer, when princes are most inclined to go and look for mates. As the prince’s only natural predator, the witch had to work when the princes were thickest on the ground.

I laughed out loud-but most of the story was about the creature called ‘a princess.’
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower is a very interesting take on the traditional fairytale-knight-rescues-princess-from-tower concept.

The book isn't as dark as expected, and considering that cover, I don't know why I thought it would be dark in the first place, but I guess that's because it's written by Tamsyn Muir. But even so, some of the scenes in the novel -- including the ending -- were haunting and disturbing. Speaking of the ending, I'm not sure that I even enjoyed it -- I ge
Lindsay
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor
A brilliant short novella about Princess Floralinda and her struggle once a witch steals her away to a tower with forty flights of monsters. The witch wants Floralinda to be rescued by a prince, but when twenty-four of them come and fail at the first floor where they're eaten by a diamond-encrusted dragon, Floralinda has no choice but to make her way down. With the aid of a helpful but surly fairy, she soon has success and slowly makes her way down.

This is full of the author's trademark irrevere
Robyn
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
tamsyn muir i would truly die for you
A.
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-2020
Every day I thank G-d I'm a lesbian!!!!!!! ...more
Miss Susan
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
i read this on the strength of the review that described it as 'gail carson levine but mean' and truly can think of no better descriptor

4 stars
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Transcendent Kingdom
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Where the Forest Meets the Stars
  • One by One
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
  • Luster
  • Take a Look at the Five and Ten
  • The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • When No One is Watching
  • Seven of Infinities
  • In the Dream House
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Leave the World Behind
TAMSYN MUIR is the bestselling author of the Locked Tomb Trilogy, which begins with Gideon the Ninth, continues with Harrow the Ninth, and concludes with Alecto the Ninth. Her short fiction has been nominated for the Nebula Award, the Shirley Jackson Award, the World Fantasy Award and the Eugie Foster Memorial Award. A Kiwi, she has spent most of her life in Howick, New Zealand, with time living i ...more