Start by marking “Into the Wind (American Dreams, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Wind (American Dreams, #1)

Into the Wind

(American Dreams)

Mexico, 1814, sixteen-year-old Rosie's world changes when her father's saloon is burned and her father killed. Alone, without family, home or livelihood, Rosie has no chose but to go with Raider Lyons, the young sea captain who rescued her from the fire. As American privateers and the British Navy battle one another on the high seas, Raider chases the brutal British captai ...more
Published September 9th 2005 by iUniverse (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Wind

Jenna
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this series when I was young and fell in love with them (and Raider.) Its a wonderful story full of adventure and romance. When I would read them I completely got sucked into the books, time would fly by and I would be so sad when it was over. Ferris' descriptions are captivating. I still have my copy of the series I keep in my hope chest so my kids won't damage them, and every once in a while I pull them out to read. For a middle school/junior high aged girl, they are wonderful!
Carly
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I bought this series in jr. high and it has been one of my favorites ever since. Every few years I pull it out and read it again. I won't claim that it's a classic or that it even is particularly well written, I just love the story and the characters. Each book is only about 200 pages so you could read all three in a day or two, another reason why I like them. :) My favorite is the second book, just in case you were wondering.
Sara Larson
Going down memory lane here... I read these as a teen and adored them. These books inspired an attempt for me to write historical fiction that went horribly wrong when I was 15 or 16. I'll stick to reading other's historical fiction I think. ;)
Amy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh, nostalgia!
Bethany D. Chappetta
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it in 1996. Loved it every time I re-read it (like 40 times). Loved it again.
Natalie
This book was ok, but not good. It had some potential (the time period and setting are especially fascinating to me). The characters weren't allowed enough time to develop (except maybe the main character), but that's probably because the author was given strict limits. I will go ahead and try the second book out of curiosity.

A huge complaint is the paperback cover. Who were those people? The woman on the cover didn't look at all like the main character was described. I will chalk it up to limi
Karen
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I can't believe this is by the same author as the Marigold books. Wow! I loved this, but am sad it's part of a 3 part set because I got it through inter-library loan and am not sure I'm ambitious enough to get the other two. It was a fun pirate-y, coming of age-y, adventure-y, romance-y kind of book.
Christin
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite series. I discovered it at the library when I was pretty young (probably pre-middle school) and have been reading it almost yearly since then. I love the time period, the characters, the swashbuckling adventure...
Crystal
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved this series as a teenager. I still like it, though I must admit that I find it much more melodramatic now.
Shannon Fox
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book (and series) in the world! I think it's out of print. If you love pirates, a great romance, a clean read with great characters and intrigue, this is for you. It is FANTASTIC!
Jolan
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a good story, I enjoyed reading it.
Jennifer Lyle
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as a teen & I'm about reread them now. it has everything - pirates, history, strong female characters, & a great romance.
Allyson
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance/pirate lovers
Recommended to Allyson by: Jen
Shelves: summer-09
Great book, though I was really disappointed that the main character, Rosie, has black hair not red. I like the girl on the cover and imagine Rosie that way.
R
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really good start to the series. Glad it is back in print! Yes it is a YA romance, but it doesn't FEEL like a 'teen' book.
Mali
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing series I have ever read. Once I start reading, I read all three books in the same day. I can't put them down!
Lindsey
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young girls who want romance and/or pirates
Shelves: young-adult
Provided the romance my young, naive pre-teen self desired. And, finally!, a heroine who isn't a tomboy. (Maybe because it's a romance? So what.)
Callie
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very fun young adult series, my kind of love story. No junk just cute story.
Chelsea
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not that it's anything amazing, but I still loved this book. And now I am hooked and will have to read the series to find out what happens.
Erika Terada
  • Timeless Love
  • Land of Hope
  • Miranda and the Warrior
  • The Heavenward Path
  • Dorrie's Magic (Dorrie the Little Witch, #1)
  • Bandit's Moon
  • Emily and the Scot (The MacLaughlins, #2)
  • The Day Tiger Rose Said Goodbye
  • A is for Annabelle
  • Katherine: Heart of Freedom (Hearts and Dreams, #1)
  • A Year In Europe (Love Stories: Year Abroad Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • The Silver Slippers
  • Catherine and the Pirate
This author is not afraid to tackle difficult subjects: living with a deaf parent (Of Sound Mind), facing the consequences of a criminal act (Bad), or questioning one's sexuality (Eight Seconds). But Jean Ferris is also adept at writing comedy, historical fiction, and romance. What's most interesting is that she didn't publish her first novel until she was in her mid-40s. Yet she's never forgotten ...more

American Dreams (9 books)
  • Plainsong for Caitlin
  • Song of the Sea (American Dreams, Part 2)
  • Weather the Storm (American Dreams, Part 3)
  • The Innkeeper's Daughter (American Dreams, #6)
  • Sofia's Heart
  • Sarah On Her Own (American Dreams)
  • Reyna's Reward