Start by marking “Slow Burner” as Want to Read:
Slow Burner

Slow Burner

A woman watches her marriage implode over text message and decides that ignorance is not bliss in this bitterly satisfying short mystery by the New York Times bestselling author of Lady in the Lake.

Liz Kelsey promised herself she’d never again spy on her feckless husband, Phil. But then she discovers a string of suggestive texts on his secret burner phone. Even worse, he’s
Published July 30th 2020 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Slow Burner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Burner

Start your review of Slow Burner
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Well played!!! Very sneaky, very sneaky indeed. The author got me hook, line and sinker with this fantastic story.

I love a good cheater story and this was one that really played me well. Phil is a good husband, until he was not...Phil can't seem to stay away from one particular person, no matter what the cost. His wife Liz thought they had overcome this in their marriage until she finds out she was wrong...very, very wrong.

Fun, fast and twisty, read this in under an hour.
MarilynW
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Liz Kelsey promised to never spy on her husband again, after he promised to never cheat again. But, while sorting laundry, she finds a burner phone in his pocket and Liz has proof he's at it again. Rather than confront her lying skunk of a husband, Liz waits patiently, while reading his texts in secret. Liz has the upper hand this time, she knows things and her husband doesn't!

Laura Lippman’s Slow Burner is part of Hush, a collection of six stories, ranging from political mysteries to psycholog
Sandra
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Pretty good short story about a wife (Liz) who finds a burner phone in her husband Phil’s pants while washing the clothes. Curious, she looks at it and discovers he’s been texting a woman romantically. What will Liz do about it?

An enjoyable short read with a twist I didn’t see coming.

Deanna
Shelves: 2020

4.5 Stars!!

This was my first read from the Hush Collection and it's definitely not going to be my last!

The Hush Collection is a collection of six short stories (e-book or audiobook) written by six well-known award-winning authors. From what I've seen so far, social media seems to play a part in all of the stories. I love books that have anything to do with social media so reading (or listening) to these is a no brainer.

When Liz Kelsey finds her husband's secret burner phone filled with comprom
karen
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
as much as i prefer reading a three-dimensional physical book-book, there are some perks to having an e-reader, not the least of which is all that digital-only content out there taunting me in its virtual glory, particularly these amazon original stories i've had my eye on for ages; thematically-linked collections of stories featuring so many of my favorite authors.

we were kept apart for so long, until recently, when a friend of mine upgraded his kindle and donated his old kindle fire to meee,
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Obsession, betrayal, stalking, lots of therapy, burner phones, lies, arguments: yes, this is another anatomy of dysfunctional marriage or short synopsis of daytime soap operas!

Liz Kelsey cannot stop herself spying on her husband. Actually dear Phill forced his hand by purchasing a burner phone to talk with HW ( we don’t know the exact name of the other woman so let’s make a guess: Hillary Willinton, nope,too political, Halle Werry: too Hollywood-ish, Henrietta Werlinger-too German?)

Anyways, she
Carol
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Deanna's review
3.5 Stars.

Phil Kelsey is a prominent Chicago investor and cheater.....again.

Wife Liz is a school teacher and disheartened text spy.....again.

Liz loves Phil. Wants to save her marriage. Is devastated by the most recent text on his burner phone.....Oh No!

They try therapy.....again.

Phil is upbeat. Whistling a happy tune. Another trip to S.F......to see code name HW.

And then.....Ha! The end!

In this world of technology, is anything truly private?

Ceecee
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Liz and Phil have been married for a long time. Liz finds a burner phone and realises Phil is up to his old tricks. Another winner from the Hush Collection! The storyline is clever and has a great twist. I really like the Greek Mythology references which are used most effectively and also the films used in the storyline. Onto the final one!
Bridgett
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Call me crazy, but I have a soft spot for revenge stories.

And that conclusion was right up my alley...well thought out, clever, and totally plausible. Loved it!

I can also recommend (at this point), Let Her Be by Lisa Unger from the Hush Collection.

UPDATE
Now that I've completed the series, here is my ranking of the six stories:
1. Buried
2/3. Let Her Be & Slow Burner tied for second place
4. The Gift
5. Treasure
6. Snowflakes
Michael David
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Phil promised Liz he’d never cheat on her again. So why does she find a burner phone in his pants when she’s about to do laundry? Why is he secretly texting the same woman from last time?

This is the 3rd story I’ve read from this collection so far, and I was hooked! I really enjoyed seeing how this one wrapped up. It really is a slow burn with a fantastic climax.

This is part of Amazon’s new Hush Collection, 6 stories each written by a different author.
Brandice
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Slow Burner is a very short mystery featuring cheating, spying, and lying — A quick and intriguing read!
Christina
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite in the Hush collection so far! Like the title indicates, it is a slow burn, so don’t expect a fast thrilling pace. But for me it was filled with suspense. Even though I thought I knew what was going on (and I did), I couldn’t wait to find out if I was right.

Normally I find books that use text messages as dialogue to be boring, but this one was really well-done.

The top line story is familiar: is her husband cheating? But the more nuanced and brilliant story is about a woman realizing
Susan
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Her husband is at it again. Cheating.

She thought her marriage had survived the first round and they were back on track. What's a woman to do with such a man?

Laura Lippman has long been a favorite author and she didn't disappoint with this one. I loved it!
Matt
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Be sure to check for my review, first posted on Mystery and Suspense, as well as a number of other insightful comments by other reviewers.

Returning for another HUSH Collection short story, I sought out Laura Lippman’s piece that shows how affairs in the technological age can be even more problematic. Filled with interesting discussions on the emotions of infidelity and its various levels, Lippman leaves the reader to consider how destructive one man’s acti
Jayme
She thought they were happy until a strange cheap phone clattered to the bathroom floor...

She couldn’t STOP herself from reading the texts between her husband and H.W..

After all, this isn’t the first time she has caught him...

Yes, this was fun!

This is another one of the Amazon Original short stories in the HUSH collection-6 stories-6 deceptions.
Just 46 minutes..

Written by some of our favorite authors such as Laura Lippman, Lisa Unger, Ruth Ware, Alison Gaylin, Jeffrey Deaver and Oyinkan Braithw
boogenhagen
I love this story. Finally a lady realizes just what a slime slurping, coprophagic nematode her hubby really is and she takes some excellent steps to sort his garbage out.

After years of putting up with heroines who just cave at the drop of a hat and tolerate the worst sort of bad behavior, it was very nice to see some serious comeuppance.

That is pretty mean of me, but this was a very happy read. Yes, I am a vengeful book reading person - too few authors are willing to go there, so it was a very
Diana | Book of Secrets
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Hush Collection short story from Amazon. An intriguing dose of domestic suspense! I loved this one. Phil was caught cheating once, and has promised not to do it again. Liz believed him, until she finds his secret burner phone that suggests otherwise. Instead of confronting him, she quietly reads his back and forth flirty texts with another woman. Realizing that he will never change, what will she do? Great twisty ending.
Tamar...light at the end of the tunnel?
Slow Burner by Laura Lippman is my most recent read in Amazon’s Hush Collection. I’m thinking about how much I love how this ended, and notice how much I loved the endings of other recent reads like The Closer You Get, The New Husband, The End of Her and Confessions on the 7:45 – I wonder what this says about me!
Gabrielle Grosbety
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
“She also knows the old saying that cautions men to remember, whenever they meet a beautiful woman, that somewhere, someone is tired of her.”

Slow Burner is a breezy read with a decadently built up twist that served as my favorite part of it. Other than the twist the story itself felt a bit underwhelmingly undercooked as I waited for the main special to get simmering and for me to ultimately feel more emotionally drawn to the characters who never ended up moving me either way. I wanted bo
Obsidian
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow. Don't want to reveal too much on this one, but wow. This was so good and I was actually shocked at how short the story was. Lippman did a great job with actually not only developing the character of Liz, but she did a great job with developing Phil as well. All of this being tied together into privacy, lies that we tell others, and then Greek mythology I thought was great. Also I loved something that was brought up via Phil about Liz and you start to do some calculations and go wow, dang, t ...more
Carolyn Walsh
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a slow-paced domestic melodrama from the Amazon Hush Collection. It involves discord in their marriage of Liz who is a school teacher specializing in Greek mythology. There are plenty of references to Greek gods and their infidelities. Her husband, Phil, works in a lucrative position that requires a lot of travel. I did not care for either of the characters and the story seemed somewhat derivative.

Phil had been involved in an affair with a much younger married woman from the same busin
Javier
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
He promised to never cheat on her wife again.

She promised to never spy on her husband again.

And yeah, you guessed it, they did not keep their word!

“Slow burner” couldn’t have a better title. It was definitely a slow burn set in the post #MeToo era. Interesting plot with a great twist and some nice Greek mythology parallels.

3.5 ⭐️

And on a totally unrelated note, when I read about Liz finding her husband's phone I couldn’t take this from my mind (I know, completely unrelated, but my mind works
Julie (JuJu)
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a devious tale of betrayal and revenge!

Revenge is a dish best served cold...and Liz does exactly that after finding a secret burner phone her husband is using to text another woman. This isn’t the first time this has happened and she realizes it won’t be the last.

This is Book 3 / 6 from the Hush collection by Amazon Original Stories. I’m not sure why, but this short story reminded me of the old series “Night Gallery”, which I loved!

My Rating: 4.5 ⭐️’s
Published: July 30th 2020 by Amazon Ori
Kay
Slow burn short story with good ending. A lot happened in the last 5 minutes!
Sue
SLOW BURNER by Laura Lippman is part of Hush, a collection of six short stories, ranging from political mysteries to psychological thrillers.

A woman watches her marriage collapse over text message and decides that ignorance is not bliss in this bitterly satisfying short mystery.

When Liz is gathering laundry, her husband Phil’s phone falls out of his pocket.

Phil is a Chicago investor, who runs a venture capital firm while his wife, Liz is a private-school teacher.

Now, Liz recognizes the signs of
JP
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Short and “sweet.” Why would you want to leave a woman who makes homemade cheddar biscuits for you? Tut tut
Lu Bielefeld
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Liked it!
======================
Short story!
My favorite kind of heroine!
Ben Haskett
This short story gets full marks for making me feel so uncomfortable. A wife discovers her husband's secret phone, and subsequently discovers the emotional affair he's having.

I don't read stories like this often (this is part of Amazon's HUSH series of short stories, free with Amazon Prime), so maybe this is derivative of the genre, I dunno. But the husband in this tale is just so pathetic that you almost feel sorry for him. Wife certainly seems to.

She attributes his need to speak to this othe
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
Well oh my gosh, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and all that. Laura Lippman is a master (short) story teller. I had such sympathy for Liz and absolutely hated Phil and HW. How does a writer mange to provoke such feelings in a thirty-three page story!?

Oh, Phil. You’re being played. Can’t you see? No dear reader, we are being played and Laura Lippman got me good! All the stars.
debbicat *made of stardust*

• The Remedy
  • The Tangled Woods
  • Oak Avenue
See top shelves…
Laura Lippman is a New York Times bestselling novelist who has won more than twenty awards for her fiction, including the Edgar Award—and been nominated for thirty more. Since her debut in 1997, she has published twenty-one novels, a novella, a children’s book, and a collection of short stories. Her books have been translated into over twenty languages. LitHub named her one of the “essential” fema ...more