Start by marking “Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)

Charmed & Dangerous

(Bronwyn the Witch #1)

She has no problem fighting bad guys-but lots of problems finding a good one.

With her globetrotting career of protecting the British Prime Minister, Bronwyn isn't your ordinary witch. But her powers can't help her decide between a sexy Sheik and the town doctor, who happens to be a warlock-and more than worthy of a liplock.
Published September 6th 2005 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Charmed & Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charmed & Dangerous

Start your review of Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)
Amanda The Book Slayer
Aug 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have an addition to the review below. If you are sitting on the fence about this series I suggest you take a look. All quotes are directly from the book exactly the way they are published.

First Review Attempt
-to avoid confusion on why I did not like this book I have taken the time to finish reading this book. Therefore, my Second Review is my complete review for this book that I have read.

I did not originally rate this book due to only reading 6 pages and skimming the last 30, but upon furth
Julie
Sep 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Bronwyn's job is not exactly conventional. She's a witch who not only fights off warlocks, demons, and evil zombies, but gets paid to do it. She protects the Prime Minister and is his personal body guard. She also murders, plots, and shoots fire from her hands while blowing up cars in the process. Bronwyn is not a witch to be reckoned with, although being a magical body guard does tend to get in the way of having anything that resembles a normal love life.

I made it to exactly page 35 of this boo
Elley Murray
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unreadable
Author just used "funky" twice in the same sentence. All-time literature low? Sadly, probably not, but page 2 and I'm already totally sick of this book. Oh, sorry - page 5.

Made it all the way to page 14 before literally throwing the book in the garbage. And I almost never completely abandon a book. I at least make it halfway before leaving it for a few weeks to read something else, then coming back to it. This was just beyond terrible.
Jacob Proffitt
So I picked this one up against my better judgment. I’m so glad I did. I don’t mind epistolary novels as much as some people do, but only if they’re willing to abandon the conceit when it comes to dialogue. This is a good example of such. While technically epistolary, it functions more as a way to put it in first person limited (past tense) with timestamps to aid narrative flow. I see this as a good thing—or at least, not a strike against the book.

And the first person works well, here, because t
Crystal
Jun 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coverart, 2009
I was very disappointed with this book. From the first few paragraphs, I did not like the character's voice, but kept reading, hoping the story itself would engage me. The dialogue was stilted (though that may have just been in contrast to the main character's commentary).
Instead of showing us that this woman was a powerful witch, we saw unimpressive spells and had the other characters commenting on how powerfully she executed them. It seemed as though every other conversation her "great powe
Tammy
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
This was a fun read and I really enjoyed Bronwyn. The book is written in diary-like days and I didn't like that at first but I got used to it.
Bronwyn is a very powerful 'High Witch' who works as a protector to the Prime Minister. Through this she has met Sheik Arik, who is working with the PM to help solve a world-wide energy crisis but someone is trying to kill them both. Bronwyn is asked to protect the Sheik as well.
Just to make things more interesting, someone has put a million doll
Michele Faith
Nov 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I tried, I really did. I was ready for some fun, light reading. Pushed my way through to page 57 and just had to give it up. I tried to overlook the excessive use of crude sexual remarks, seemingly thrown in there for shock value. I rolled my eyes at the commonly heard of high end shoe designers, which seemed to be thrown in there to show the author watched SATC. But, the scene where the warlock strolls into the restaurant, intent on killing Bronwyn, and yells "You can't tell me what to do witch ...more
JenniferJ
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Fun and light witchy romance! A warlock is causing havoc in Bronwyn's charges lives and he must be stopped but first she has to figure out who the culprit is. While she is tring to protect her clients she has no clue who the culprit is really after or why and it's just a fluffy mystery as the story unfolds.
Michelle
Sep 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
I got to page 10 and couldn't take it any longer. I DO NOT like her style of writing.
Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I did not finish this book. I wanted to stop after the first chapter, but I decided to give this book a fair shake, so I read the next three. I really wish I hadn't.
This book is atrociously written. Whoever was assigned to line-edit it must have been asleep. It's written as an epistolary novel but does a disservice to the form. At the sentence-level, it's poorly constructed, but the greater sin is the lack of talent or skill with which the story is told. In the first couple chapters,
Melinda Weprin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Its a bit hard to get into the book when A) everything is a diary entry with no read connectivity B) every single guys is some degree of good-looking....seriously? and C) there are so many references to people, places, and events that the reader has no history of that its a bit unreasonable to follow. I guess it would be a decent beach read if you don't want to sit down a read a book.
Tiffani Yu
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This, too, I read a long time ago. A very, very long time ago.
Sometimes I forget what made it awesome, but I think it was the helicopter and the whole 'I'm saving the Prime Minister. I'm on his beck and call with my magic right here. Let me fly up over there in this helicopter and save the country.' thing.

Yeah, that covers it.
Amanda
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute and quick read. It’s written in diary style which helped for the quick to read part. The main character took a bit of getting used to. For someone who’s supposed to be 25, she sounded more like a 15 year old a lot of the time.
An Odd1
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: x-rate
x-rated. The Darkness is coming. Gorgeous gal pals, and men who love her, eat drink and make merry, helping her heal from black sludge attacks. Jet across the world. Concoct potions, assemble charms, "mote it be" spells.
Emma
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this sarcastic chick.
Diane
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun easy and enjoyable read
Dawn Marie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. The author definitely has a different style than most but that’s fine. It’s a fast fun read. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.
Janet Robel
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this was really cute. This is a nice, light read with a good cast of characters.
Juju221
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know, some of you are going to ask how I came across these books, the simple answer is, I fell in lust with the cover of the Demon King and I, went on Candace Haven's website, got it and the sequel (both of which I really enjoyed and reviewed) and came across the Bronwyn books, loved the titles, thought the synopsis sounded fun and went off to search for them, and search I did. These books (with the exception of Charmed and Ready) were difficult to buy, which is why I love Amazon Market Place, ...more
Kim
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal fiction
This was a quick read that was moderately entertaining, but doesn't offer much to make it stand above the mass of paranormal fiction that's out there. There's just something that keeps me from caring too much about the main character, a witch named Bronwyn who works for the prime minister of England. She's the most powerful witch around, and with not one but two gorgeous guys lusting after her, comes a bit too close to Mary Sue territory for comfort. Her main object of lust is a doctor named Sam ...more
SHR
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Even though the format of this was slightly irritating - as it is set out like Bridget's Jones' Dairy (the start of each entry has the day, the time, location, number of spells and another count of some sort - Happy witches, dead guys, pissed off witches, confused witches, etc) and some of what is written is too stilted to be a diary entry and supposedly written when exhausted but it was, overall, an enjoyable read.

My irritation with the format meant it took me a little longer to get into the l
Sherri Bryant
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
The description of this book doesn't give justice to how entertaining this story turned out to be. This is the first book in a series about a high witch who has taken an oath to use her powers to protect the innocent and rid the world of evil. But that doesn't even scratch the surface. Bronwyn has a feisty spirit who finds herself literally in the middle between two men who both want her, one is a Warlock who she knows she shouldn't have feelings for but does and the other is an Arab Sheik who s ...more
Barbara ★
A day in the life of a modern witch - written in the first person point of view in diary form. So not my favorite writing style. It jumps around and it just isn't that interesting.

Bronwyn provides magical protection for the Prime Minister of England, among other things. At a meeting in Norway, the Prime Minister is meeting with Sheik Azir of Dubai, whose cousin is trying to kill him. Bronwyn gets roped into protecting him too. A lot of time in Dubai follows which is a tad boring. Bronwyn recent
Beth
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I think the negative reviews are overly harsh, but can't agree with the glowing ones, either. It's an okay story, and I'm mindful that it's the author's first novel. First novels in a series are often not the best ones.

The heroine seemed a little TOO powerful for me to get really involved in her adventures. I knew from the get-go that she was powerful enough she was going to get out of any scrape. There wasn't really any question of anything going wrong. She's sort of the Wonder Woman of the wi
Cherie
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Bronwyn is a high Witch, working as a kind of one-witch secret service to the British Prime Minister. Her arsenal includes a combination of potions, spells, explosions, mind-reading tricks, and general butt-kicking skills. While she's traveling the globe to protect the PM and a middle eastern sheik (I'm not sure that she actually ever specifies what country he's from), she's pining for her warlock back home, Dr. Sam... despite the fact that she's promised herself not to fall for any man—especial ...more
Ana
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ariel
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bronwyn is a witch, and she uses her powers to protect people. She works for the British Prime Minister, and a sexy Sheik Azir. She can’t figure out who wants them dead, and then add in the sexy new doctor in town which just happens to also be a warlock. She has to travel the world and watch the back of her clients and leave Doctor Sam who she wants in her bed.
This book is written like a diary, with entries on different days and times. It’s cool but also a little annoying only because it jumps
Mindy aka serenity
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I almost quit reading this book after 20 pages because it just seemed so stupid that I didn't want to run the risk of losing brain cells while reading. But I decided to give it a chance and it ended up being kinda cute. The book is about this witch, Bronwyn, who has a job to protect a Prime Minister and then a Sheik. Tossed in there is a nice romance between the witch and the new doctor in town, Sam. So Bronwyn is kicking Warlock butt and all the other time dreaming of hot sex. The great america ...more
Starry
Aug 30, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Crawford
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bronwyn is a witch, and works basically as a magical guard to the British Prime Minister. She's incredibly powerful, and serves to protect people from others who would harm them. She also becomes involved trying to protect a sheik from a cousin that tries to poison him.

The book is written in a very interesting format, in that it's written in a diary form, with Bronwyn summarizing what has happened to her. There's a lot that happens, what with all the magical spells, the attempts on her life, ev
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch, #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Dark Ones #4)
  • Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1)
  • Blood Ties (Castings, #1)
  • Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2)
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)
  • The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)
  • The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4)
  • The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)
  • City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3)
  • The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2)
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)
  • Shadowgate (Dragons of Deltora, #2)
  • The Sister of the South (Dragons of Deltora, #4)
Bestselling author Candace Havens has published more than 25 books. Her novels have received nominations for the RITA's, Holt Medallion, Write Touch Reader Awards and National Readers Choice Awards. She is a Barbara Wilson Award winner. She is the author of the biography “Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy” and a contributor to several anthologies. She is also one of the nation's leading enterta ...more

Bronwyn the Witch (3 books)
  • Charmed & Ready (Bronwyn the Witch, #2)
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)

News & Interviews