Start by marking “Josephus” as Want to Read:

WINNER-SILVER MEDAL, Religious Fiction, 2021, eLit Awards
WINNER-SILVER MEDAL, Historical Fiction, 2021, eLit Awards
WINNER-Historical Fiction, 2020, Book Publicists of Southern California
INDIE READER APPROVED!

The year is 66 A.D.━Nero rules the world as Caesar. Judea is a client state of Rome. The t
Published October 20th 2020 by Studio Antz, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Josephus, please sign up.

Start your review of Josephus
Glen
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

The story of Josephus, based on his autobiography, which is one of the most self serving works ever known to man. Josephus is an important priest in Judea. After a tax revolt, the Hebrews kill all the Roman soldiers in their land. Josephus is given charge of preparing for the coming Roman invasion.

Of course the preparations fail, and Josephus is captured. He is sent to Rome, where he becomes son of a Caesar.

Too good to be true.
Deval Maheshwari
Disclosure: was lent this book by booktasters and the author in exchange of an honest review. I'd recommend you read it too.

Josephus overshot every expectation of mine by far. The story itself alone is beautiful in a manner which is hard to describe, but the real magic lies in its real life origins in the first Jewish Roman war.
The historical accuracies to the real story and to life in ancient Rome and that of the Jews surprised me- there is little altered by the author for the sake of romantici
Crystal
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Josephus

The story of Josephus, a Judean who overcomes all obstacles in a most unusual way. Guided by Elijah, a messenger from God, Josephus uses the information given to him to rise to power. From fighting a war longer than expected to saving the life of those who were his captors. Will he use his power and influence to save the remaining Judeans and tell their story?
#GoodreadsGiveaway
Chris Maddix
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Josephus, the author, B. Michael Antler, has undertaken the monumental task of turning a little known work of history into a fictional novel, all the while retaining the actions, cultures and characters of those genuine historical figures who populate the book. Josephus is a fictional retelling of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem under the Roman leadership of future emperor Titus, in the year 70 CE.

As the novel opens, Rome is in control of Jerusalem under the poor leadership of a man named
Nila Eslit
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Root of the Conflict is Exorbitant Taxes

Set in the 1st century, Josephus: A Novel presents the plight of the Judeans under the Roman rule.

The story begins with a Tribune leading a band of Roman soldiers trespassing on the Judean Temple in Jerusalem. Titus, the leader, demands two thousand talents in taxes for Caesar. But since the religious leaders are adamant, he strikes the chief priest on his head, instantly killing the latter.

Enraged, the Judean people retaliate by killing many soldiers
Susan van der Walt
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In any historical novel, the accuracy of historical facts is essential. The author uses the Jewish War as his source and says the following:
While many liberties are taken with the detailed descriptions throughout the novel, and Part II (which is mostly fabricated), the crux of the story is honest to Josephus.

The book tells the story of Joseph - son of Matthias - a Judean priest based in the temple in Jerusalem. Roman sold
Jean
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Thank you to Goodreads for the opportunity to read this ARC.
This is a retelling of the works of Josephus, which I have been wanting to read for a while now, so I was thrilled to be chosen for and advance copy. The story is about Joseph, who is Jewish during the time of the Roman occupation, approximately 60 A.D. The cruelty of the Romans to not only the Jewish people, but to anyone, even other Romans is terrible to read, but true none the less.
The story in itself was very interesting and capti
Curtis Kack
May 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This marvelous book by B. Michael Antler helps us to understand the socio-cultural context from which the Jewish historian Flavius Joseph emerges. The author does the tremendous work of combining imagination with real historical data from the Jewish war and Josephus’ own writing.
Joseph, son of Matthias is a priest. Raised as a Sadducean, he has decided to be a member of the pharisee group. He is a respected scholar and has a good mastery of about a dozen languages. In the beginning he is presen
Lynn Demsky
From page one this book just captured my soul and I couldn’t put it down. It’s a fiction book but based on historical fact. The author did a lot of research but it tells of the lives, bodies, souls, dream, horrors and life in biblical times. It has everything in it: murder, war, suicide, sex, drunkenness. A lot of it seemed unbelievable but in those times that’s how people lived. It’s written well, plotted well and a great read! To still be thought about so many thousands of years later, a truly ...more
Diane
Oct 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
Have not read it yet but hope to soon
Lesley Henry
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author made excellent usage of historical information over 2,000 years ago yet made it completely relevant to tell the story of Josephus he wanted to be told. So many people will take a historical figure then choose to make him a good guy or a bad guy, this author simply humanized him which makes it an extremely intriguing tale. Best historical fiction I've read in quite a while. ...more
MICHAEL MCKENNA
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I helped edit this novel.

It has come a long way and it was my great pleasure to help polish this gem into its current form. The story of Josephus is truly epic and the author has done a great job in bringing us a taste of life during the first century. This great story arc is punctuated with some great turns of phrase and dramatic flair along with poignant historical references.

If I ever write a first novel, I hope it to be half as good as this one.
B. Michael Antler
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, as the author if I didn't read my own book, and give it five stars, there would be legitimate concerns about the quality of my work!

BMA
Mike
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won this book on a goodreads giveaway. It was a little more graphic than maybe it needed to be but it was well written and kept me entertained throughout.
Sue
Sep 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Josephus was a first century historian. He was born Joseph, son of Matthias, and was a priest and Pharisee. During a revolt against Rome a handful of years before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD, Joseph was sent to oversee the fighting in Galilee. He was eventually captured and became part of the Flavius household in Rome, changing his name to Josephus. He wrote several books regarding the history of the Jews and is considered a credible source, along with the bible, of the events of those ...more
Jaime K
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.

I was greatly intrigued by the premise (which is why I entered), even though I had never heard of Josephus before. Antler does explain that this is a work of fiction that is based on true events--he just takes liberties with some of those events. He does he best to stay true to the accounts of the characters while describing the Judean war against the Romans between 66 and 73 C.E.

It's initially led by Nero, and one of the Roman soldiers is Titus. Josephus strug
Mike
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: I provided the author editing feedback while reading a draft of the novel.

All the Romans want are the taxes they're due from the citizens of Jerusalem. Unlike the Tea Party and the resulting Revolutionary War, however, the violence resulting from the subjects' refusal to pay was decidedly one-sided. Jospehus, a soon-to-be former Judean priest, and Titus, son of the Roman general Vespasian and officer in charge of the tax-collecting attempt turned massacre, soon find that their fates
Nozomi Kumatsuzaki
First of all, I want to appreciate the writer who had done deep research for this historical fiction even though I don't know whether it's accurate or not. The illustrations are good actually.

I love historical fiction because it feels like I learn history in fun way because it gives information about events that sometimes makes me curious. Unfortunately, not this book. I thought I would love this book but it wasn't like what I expected. I read it in slow progress. I think the idea of history mi
Lisha
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book ALOT, it’s an amazing book. I could not stop reading this book. You can tell that the author put a lot of work and effort into this book, he is EXTREMELY talented and his words just flow beautifully page to page. I don’t want to give out spoilers to this book, but I would say that you should get this book and read it because once you start reading you would have difficulty putting the book down because you want to know what happens next. It’s very thrilling. I can’t wait for the ...more
Jackie
Sep 22, 2020 marked it as didnt-finish
Too much sex and violence for me. I wish the comment about “steamy sex scenes” hadn’t been at the end of the extremely long synopsis because i never would have picked it up if I’d seen those words. However, I’m not sure what is steamy: a giant man with a giant dick raping two children, or a man who howls like a wolf while banging his wife’s sister, who moans like an otter...
Stacey Rabinowitz Connelly
So disappointing! I was so looking forward to reading this book especially after the author talked about the extensive research he did. Unfortunately it read like an undergraduate term paper with silly, sometimes idiotic, dialogue thrown in just so it could be called a novel. In my opinion, the author should have left out the awful dialogue and wrote a nonfiction book.
Rob Coyle
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Some will really like this book, others may not. I learned a few things about Josephus that I did not know before, and was caught up in the story. The violence written into the story, very accurately portrayed, was a little more graphic that I personally wanted to read. As I said, I think many will enjoy this book, but some might be a little put off.
Lynn Estep
Jan 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Josephus! A Novel

This was more like reading a documentary than a novel. Although the author warned that it would remain faithful to the original, I hoped for a little more embellishments along the way. That said It was still a GoodRead!
Ruth Vb
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Violent

The book was very violent. I enjoyed the historical information that was written. I was sadden by the degree of hate. Times have not changed much. We still do not care for different opinions.
Tim Daughters
As a novel, the writing style did not keep me interested. I didn't connect with any of the characters. It read more like a dramatization from a documentary film.
There were also many modern language uses that didn't fit the setting for the story.
Howard Turner
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I received this book by winning a Goodreads drawing. Their were lots of interesting parts in this book. It also has a lot of gratuitous violence in it
Csimplot Simplot
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Kathleen Babb
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book. Such a great way to learn about the history of the Romans and Judeans. I knew some of the facts but the characters in the book made learning so much more a joy.
Harry
Feb 21, 2021 rated it did not like it
Ok this was one of the most boring books I've ever read. Even without the Hebrew errors (plus they spoke Aramaic, not Hebrew) it was a slog to get through.

The writing was pedantic, the characters, stereotypes.
Claire
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this Advance Reader edition as a goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of the events told in this historical fiction is limited. The time period is the second half of the first century A.D., when Rome ruled most of the known world, including Judea, an area that particularly chafed under Roman rule for reasons both political and religious. The story here is of Joseph, a high priest who led the defense of a Judean city, was captured and taken to R

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • A Christmas Carol
  • Beloved (Beloved Trilogy, #1)
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • Brave New World
  • Trust No One (Devlin & Falco #1)
  • Hamnet
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • Sunlit Streams of Water
  • How Not to Die Alone
  • The Reflecting Pool
  • Older
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • Girl Gone Mad
  • Solstice Shadows (VanOps, #2)
  • Unbowed (The Legend of Asahiel #3.1)
  • The Madonna Model
B. Michael Antler was born in Los Angeles, California in 1983. At a young age, he moved to Maryland with his family and completed his secondary school studies in Montgomery County at James Hubert Blake High in 2001 (the very first graduating class).

He was accepted into the University of Virginia, and studied business, graduating from the McIntire School of Commerce in 2006, specializing in eMarket