Start by marking “Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #2)” as Want to Read:

Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café

(コーヒーが冷めないうちに #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  20,933 ratings  ·  2,979 reviews
In a small back alley in Tokyo, there is a café which has been serving carefully brewed coffee for more than one hundred years. But this coffee shop offers its customers a unique experience: the chance to travel back in time...

From the author of Before the Coffee Gets Cold comes a story of four new customers each of whom is hoping to take advantage of Cafe Funiculi Funicul
Published September 17th 2020 by Picador (first published March 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Coffee Gets Cold, please sign up.
Momin Even though they do explain some of the background of the café I think it's better to read the first one so you have a better understanding of the cha…moreEven though they do explain some of the background of the café I think it's better to read the first one so you have a better understanding of the characters and their relationships.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
F. I think it's someone who travelled from the past or the future, not a new ghost. I think Kaname will appear again when he's gone because the rule is t…moreI think it's someone who travelled from the past or the future, not a new ghost. I think Kaname will appear again when he's gone because the rule is that you can only sit on the chair when the ghost is in the bathroom, if Kaname is not there anymore this rule makes no sense. Also, there are 4 books in the series, so maybe it's something that the author will explain in the next chapter, as he did with the story of Kazu. In the first book it's stated that if you let your coffee get cold, you become the ghost and only then Kaname will be free. or at least it's what the author seems to imply. (less)

·  20,933 ratings  ·  2,979 reviews

Start your review of Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #2)
Sujoya
Aug 15, 2022 rated it it was amazing
4.5⭐

“People tend to feel happy when spring arrives, especially after a cold winter. When spring begins, however, cannot be pinpointed to one particular moment. There is no one day that clearly marks when winter ends and spring begins. Spring hides inside winter. We notice it emerging with our eyes, our skin and other senses. We find it in new buds, a comfortable breeze and the warmth of the sun. It exists alongside winter.”

“clang-dong”

Welcome back to Café Funiculi Funicula, where patrons can em
JimZ
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this collection of short interconnected stories. 1.5 stars so it will be 2 stars.

Perhaps if I read the collection which preceded this, 'Before the Coffee Gets Cold', I would have appreciated or understood more about this book.

The upshot of the four stories is that 3 characters want to go back some time in the past, and one person wants to go to some time in the future. One is allowed to do such things if one sits in a certain chair in a 9-seat Japanese café, when the woman
Mai
Jun 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing
If you had one chance to travel back in time to talk to someone for the last time, who would that be?
Sara
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

Tales from the Cafe is the second lot of short tales from Kawaguchi's 'Before the Coffee Gets Cold' series, which follows people on a journey into the past (or future) within a magical cafe. There are, as usual, an astounding number of strict rules to follow, but perhaps the most important to remember is to drink the coffee before it gets cold.

This time we follow a man wanting to visit an old friend who died in a car crash 22 years ago, a detective
Lucy
Nov 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks, 2021
I really enjoyed this sequel about the small cafe in Tokyo that can take visitors to the past or the future. If you're looking for something quirky and thought-provoking, give this one a try!

Haven't read Before the Coffee Gets Cold yet? You can still enjoy this one because it reads fine as a stand-alone. This sequel revisits some of the characters from Book 1, but also introduces new ones and extends the story a bit more. The setting is still the same (Cafe Funiculi Funicula) and the same time t
miilkytae
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, read-2021
I was very happy to find out that there is a "sequel" to the first book and loved all of the stories in this continuation of "before the coffee gets cold" so so much! It definitely did not disappoint at all and we even find out more about the characters and the ghost... So beautifully written and just so heartwarming and yet sad at the same time... Its like a slice of life book that makes you learn and reflect a lot. Definitely give the first book a try and after that there is more to be read. C ...more
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Oct 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable sequel.
It was delightful to return to Cafe Funniculi Funnicula, where one can return to the past (or possibly go ahead to the future) for a short time, as long as you return before the coffee gets cold. This is a short novella, a series of vignettes that twine together as the various people come to the cafe in order to speak to someone from the past. A man wants to talk with his friend whose daughter he raised when the friend died young. Another man wants to give his wife the birthday
Abi Robins
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, ebook
This book is just as beautiful and heart-wrenching as the first. I'm sobbing. It's so beautiful!

I was so incredibly excited when I heard that the other books in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series by Toshikazu Kawaguchi were going to be translated into English! I adored the first book and it was my absolute favourite read of 2019, I even thought about it replacing The Gift as my favourite book! That’s how much I loved it! So of course when NetGalley had the arc available I requested it and wa
~Rajeswari~
May 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Seasons flow in a cycle.
Life too, passes through difficult winters.
But after any winter, spring will follow

I read the first installment of this series some days ago and I fell in love with the calmness of the author’s writing.Japanese books usually give me the feeling of calm, relaxing and soothing emotion which hits hard but leaves a soft sadness.I was very afraid while picking up this book thinking that it wouldn’t do justice to the first installment.But I am very pleased to inform you that I
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Sweet and heartfelt, this collection of stories following this beloved time-traveling cafe reminded me of the importance of living in the moment, healing, and choosing happiness for yourself.

While it wasn’t as engaging or as touching as the first collection, I appreciated the three out of the four stories, the first being one that I felt no particular connection to.
Avani ✨
Feb 03, 2022 rated it really liked it
This one was so much better than the first book! I absolutely loved it 😍 and I am longing for more such literature now
Jan-Maat
This is your typical time travel in a Japanese coffee shop novel (view spoiler), apparently it is the sequel to a similarly named earlier novel which I have never read (view spoiler).

On the one ha
David
Oct 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tales from the Café by Toshikazu Kawaguchi is the sequel to Before the Coffee Gets Cold, following four new customers who hope to travel back in time in a little Tokyo cafe. In a small back alley in Tokyo, there is a café which has been serving carefully brewed coffee for more than one hundred years. But this coffee shop offers its customers a unique experience: the chance to travel back in time . . .

From the author of Before the Coffee Gets Cold comes Tales from the Cafe, a story of four new cu
Toria
Dec 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It's not an overly exciting book with a lot going out. Quite literally just people having coffee getting the last goodbye. However the character study in this and the very complex and fleshed out characters made this a very intriguing and fascinating book to listen to. Was a perfect book to listen to when I my brain had an hissy fit ...more
STEPH
Dec 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tearjerker
And Toshikazu didn't fail to make me cry load of tears yet again! (Sniff, sniff)

I probably used up a box of tissue while reading this. Haha. More emotional than the first. My second visit to Funiculi Funicula was soul-stirring and painful. And although my tears kept streaming down until the last page, I was smiling at the same time, because the stories were hopeful and sanguine. I couldn't help but realise that no matter how bad the situation I am in right now, I can turn it around, have a seco
 tatiana ❀
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
just as lovely as the first book! same bittersweet endings, same cozy setting, same quirky characters. i'm surprised it's not getting any attention, considering how popular Before the Coffee Gets Cold was. if you were a fan of the first book but you haven't heard about this one yet, go read it! you'll probably love it as well. ...more
Kate
Mar 05, 2021 rated it liked it
3/5stars

read for my patreon book club which can be found here: https://www.patreon.com/katepfeil

I did individual reviews for each story so check it out.

but overall, fell flat for me, definitely seems a bit like a money grab imo
breana / milkyboos ♡
a perfect mix of bittersweet and hopeful
Teenu Vijayan
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this more than the first book and that says a lot . We are back to cafe Funiculi Funicula, where you get to time travel while sipping your coffee. This premise was explored in the first book and we see the story flowing in the same waters, but maybe in a more gentler rhythm. Am I making sense? Because for the strangest of reason I loved reading these stories a lot more this time around.
Maybe I'm in a different headspace altogether and right now would do anything to have the opportunity t
morgan
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
my heart aches and my face is puffy from all the crying.
Patricija - aparecium_libri
I liked the first one better.I still enjoyed the characters, but it should've stayed a stand alone book because the plot got repetitive and dull ...more
Tresha Green
Oct 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book for a book club and was the only one who loved it. I immediately sought to find the movie. I liked it as well.

I finally was able to locate this audiobook.
OMG... such a beautiful life lesson wrapped in a book. 😭
Extremely glad to have the privilege to read these.
Donna Craig
Oct 29, 2021 rated it liked it
A peculiar little sci-fi that’s mostly just fi.
The story was decent, but I just didn’t connect with the characters. They felt two-dimensional, and the audio reading kinda reminded me of the animes my sons used to want me to watch with them.
The idea for the story was clever, and I enjoyed that aspect of it. It is set in a cafe in which one can travel in time—under certain very strict rules.
Lauren
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another solid instalment which actually reduced me to tears!

RTC
Chris
Sep 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-fiction
Tales From The Cafe is a collection of 4 short stories featuring the same cafe as in Before The Coffee Grts Cold. Which is one of my all time favorite books. In this cafe you can sit in a particular seat and be served coffee that will take you either back in time or into the future, though most go back into the past. There are rules that must be followed, such as you can't change the past and most importantly, you must finish the coffee before it gets cold.

The stories feature themes of love, lo
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
“Before the Coffee Gets Cold - Tales from the Cafe” is the second in Japanese author, Toshikazu Kawaguchi’s, ‘Cafe Funiculi Funicula’ unique time travelling series set in a small back alley in Tokyo.
I haven’t read the first book but no damage was done as both can be read as standalones, with each of the four short stories recapping the rules for returning to the past or venturing into the future, to keep you abreast of the fantastical goings on.
I thought that the premise of travelling back to a
Abbie | ab_reads
Thank you @picadorbooks for gifting me a copy of Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Cafe! This was a surprise review copy, and I haven't even read Before the Coffee Gets Cold yet... but I couldn't resist! I was in the mood for something a little whimsical and I knew this would be ideal. Don't worry, I will get myself a copy of the first one, and this book can pretty much be read as four standalone stories anyway, and from reviews I was very familiar with the plot of the first book!
In C
Caroll-Ann
May 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This one is even better than the first one and that says a lot because I loved the first so much.
The four stories told in this book are just beautiful and made me so emotional. I cried, I smiled and I just couldn‘t stop reading it. Also the fact that we learn more about Kazu and her story was so perfect. So we got 5 stories in 4. I recommend reading both books and see for yourself how good these are.
mads 🫶🏻
Jul 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
stunning.

after reading ‘before the coffee gets cold’ a few months ago and enjoying it, i went into this sequel hoping it would be as good as the first. and oh my gosh. this follow up blew my mind and it was utterly wonderful to read. so, so much better than the first one and i can’t believe it!

the collection of stories follow the same concept: people visiting this japanese cafe with the hope of connecting with a loved one at another point in time- whether travelling into the future or to the pas
Lauralai
Jun 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, 2021
you didn’t have to make me cry like that…rude

☕️🌺🧃

• October, October
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • Unsettled Ground
  • Friends & Dark Shapes
Toshikazu Kawaguchi (in Japanese: 川口 俊 和) was born in Osaka, Japan, in 1971. He formerly produced, directed and wrote for the theatrical group Sonic Snail. As a playwright, his works include COUPLE, Sunset Song, and Family Time. The novel Before the Coffee Gets Cold is adapted from a 1110 Productions play by Kawaguchi, which won the 10th Suginami Drama Festival grand prize.

コーヒーが冷めないうちに (4 books)
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #1)
  • Before Your Memory Fades (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #3)
  • さよならも言えないうちに