Start by marking “Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #2)” as Want to Read:

Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café

(Before the Coffee Gets Cold #2)

In a small back alley in Tokyo, there is a café which has been serving carefully brewed coffee for more than one hundred years. But this coffee shop offers its customers a unique experience: the chance to travel back in time...

From the author of Before the Coffee Gets Cold comes a story of four new customers each of whom is hoping to take advantage of Cafe Funiculi Funicul
Published September 17th 2020 by Picador (first published March 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Coffee Gets Cold, please sign up.
Momin Even though they do explain some of the background of the café I think it's better to read the first one so you have a better understanding of the cha…moreEven though they do explain some of the background of the café I think it's better to read the first one so you have a better understanding of the characters and their relationships.(less)

Start your review of Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #2)
Amalia Gkavea
‘’That night…
Around the station there stood many Christmas trees, decorated with lights that shone and sparkled. The place was bustling with people, and Christmas songs played from all directions. the cafe, however, was located on a side street nestled among buildings some ten minutes’ walk from the station, Apart from a small wreath attached to the cafe’s sign, it was the same as any other day. The only light came from the mains street, making it very dark. Compared to the liveliness of the
Sara
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

Tales from the Cafe is the second lot of short tales from Kawaguchi's 'Before the Coffee Gets Cold' series, which follows people on a journey into the past (or future) within a magical cafe. There are, as usual, an astounding number of strict rules to follow, but perhaps the most important to remember is to drink the coffee before it gets cold.

This time we follow a man wanting to visit an old friend who died in a car crash 22 years ago, a detective
JimZ
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this collection of short interconnected stories. 1.5 stars so it will be 2 stars.

Perhaps if I read the collection which preceded this, 'Before the Coffee Gets Cold', I would have appreciated or understood more about this book.

The upshot of the four stories is that 3 characters want to go back some time in the past, and one person wants to go to some time in the future. One is allowed to do such things if one sits in a certain chair in a 9-seat Japanese café, when the woman
Jan-Maat
This is your typical time travel in a Japanese coffee shop novel (view spoiler), apparently it is the sequel to a similarly named earlier novel which I have never read (view spoiler).

On the one ha
Abi Robins
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, ebook
This book is just as beautiful and heart-wrenching as the first. I'm sobbing. It's so beautiful!

I was so incredibly excited when I heard that the other books in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series by Toshikazu Kawaguchi were going to be translated into English! I adored the first book and it was my absolute favourite read of 2019, I even thought about it replacing The Gift as my favourite book! That’s how much I loved it! So of course when NetGalley had the arc available I requested it and wa
miilkytae
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2021, favorites
I was very happy to find out that there is a "sequel" to the first book and loved all of the stories in this continuation of "before the coffee gets cold" so so much! It definitely did not disappoint at all and we even find out more about the characters and the ghost... So beautifully written and just so heartwarming and yet sad at the same time... Its like a slice of life book that makes you learn and reflect a lot. Definitely give the first book a try and after that there is more to be read. C ...more
~Rajeswari~
May 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Seasons flow in a cycle.
Life too, passes through difficult winters.
But after any winter, spring will follow

I read the first installment of this series some days ago and I fell in love with the calmness of the author’s writing.Japanese books usually give me the feeling of calm, relaxing and soothing emotion which hits hard but leaves a soft sadness.I was very afraid while picking up this book thinking that it wouldn’t do justice to the first installment.But I am very pleased to inform you that I
Kate
Mar 05, 2021 rated it liked it
3/5stars

read for my patreon book club which can be found here: https://www.patreon.com/katepfeil

I did individual reviews for each story so check it out.

but overall, fell flat for me, definitely seems a bit like a money grab imo
Teenu Vijayan
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this more than the first book and that says a lot . We are back to cafe Funiculi Funicula, where you get to time travel while sipping your coffee. This premise was explored in the first book and we see the story flowing in the same waters, but maybe in a more gentler rhythm. Am I making sense? Because for the strangest of reason I loved reading these stories a lot more this time around.
Maybe I'm in a different headspace altogether and right now would do anything to have the opportunity t
 tatiana ❀
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
just as lovely as the first book! same bittersweet endings, same cozy setting, same quirky characters. i'm surprised it's not getting any attention, considering how popular Before the Coffee Gets Cold was. if you were a fan of the first book but you haven't heard about this one yet, go read it! you'll probably love it as well. ...more
morgan
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
my heart aches and my face is puffy from all the crying.
Lauren
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another solid instalment which actually reduced me to tears!

RTC
Abbie | ab_reads
Thank you @picadorbooks for gifting me a copy of Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Cafe! This was a surprise review copy, and I haven't even read Before the Coffee Gets Cold yet... but I couldn't resist! I was in the mood for something a little whimsical and I knew this would be ideal. Don't worry, I will get myself a copy of the first one, and this book can pretty much be read as four standalone stories anyway, and from reviews I was very familiar with the plot of the first book!
In C
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
“Before the Coffee Gets Cold - Tales from the Cafe” is the second in Japanese author, Toshikazu Kawaguchi’s, ‘Cafe Funiculi Funicula’ unique time travelling series set in a small back alley in Tokyo.
I haven’t read the first book but no damage was done as both can be read as standalones, with each of the four short stories recapping the rules for returning to the past or venturing into the future, to keep you abreast of the fantastical goings on.
I thought that the premise of travelling back to a
Lauralai
Jun 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021, 3-stars
you didn’t have to make me cry like that…rude

☕️🌺🧃

3.5/5 stars
Megan
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*An eARC of this book was kindly provided for review by Pan Macmillan but all views are my own!* 🌟

I’m sure by now you’ve heard of Before the Coffee Gets Cold. But did you know there are two other books in the series? And did you know that one of them, Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Cafe, is soon to be released as an English translation from the Japanese by Pan Macmillan? 📖

As soon as I put down the first book in this series, I needed more. I was so sad to leave the beautiful characte
Sofia Kyriaki Kouloufakou
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you liked the first book, you'll love this one too. Quite seldomly the second book of a series is as good as the first.
There are four new stories in addition to the first book, and you also see some of the old characters, and you get to know them better. This book also deals with serious stuff, such as death of a loved one, leukaemia. But as in the first book, it deals with something beautiful; love. There is love in every kind of relationship, whether it is between friends, lovers or a paren
Imane
Jul 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2021
I know this book was even better than the first installment for the simple reason that I ended up weeping for every single story. Nobody does understated bittersweetness like Toshikazu Kawaguchi. KAZU!! 😭❤️
Siqahiqa
Mar 06, 2021 rated it liked it
Revisiting to the basement coffee shop, Funiculi Funicala in Tokyo, Japan. Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Cafe is a sequel for Before the Coffee Gets Cold.

First of all, I love the book cover 💛

The four stories in this book are:
a man who travels back to the past to meet his best friend who died years ago
a son who unable to attend his mother's funeral travels to meet her for one last time
a dying man who traveled to see the girl he could not marry
an old detective who never had a chan
Sally (whatsallyreadnext)
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Picador Books kindly sent me a copy of Before The Coffee Gets Cold: Tales From The Cafe, which is the second book in the series after they heard how much I had enjoyed the first one.
The book is set in a small cafe found in a back alley in Tokyo where customers are offered the unique chance to travel back in time. Sounds simple enough but customers who choose to time travel have to follow a strict set of rules such as not changing anything in the past, not leaving their seat during the time trave
biblio_mom (Aiza)
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was hesitant to pick this up because I haven't read the first book. But i'm glad I did! Its heart-wrenchingly beautiful and meaningful that it aches me!

Also, I seldom talk about book covers, but this one is minimalist, yet pretty and speaks of the book. I would've bought it for the cover.

So the story revolves around this legendary cafe called Funiculi Funicula that could help you to time travel. The coffee pourer has to be the female in the family and 7 years old onwards. Thats just how it is
Kira
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
don't read this book if you're emotionally unstable i am distraught ...more
Ashma
May 29, 2021 added it
Tales from the Café is a sequel to "Before the coffee gets cold". It touches the untouched parts and depths from the first book with 4 new time travel stories. But the issue is same as previous book, lousy writing! It might be called as Children's book or a play on development. While the story is gripping, the spoon-feeding attitude just ruins it for me.

For the aesthetics, Recommended.

P.S. I still don't understand the role of cat on both book covers. Just to make it look cute? I guess so!
Farah Firdaus
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve heard people saying that this is a sad book but I didn’t expect to sob as much as I did.

Before the Coffee Gets Cold centres around a basement coffee shop where it is possible to travel in time, provided you adhere to the following set of rules: 1) you can only meet people who have visited this cafe, 2) you must stay seated on your chair, and 3) you must finish your coffee before it gets cold to return to the present. To top it off, no matter what happens, you cannot change the past/future.

I
Wiebke (1book1review)
This was a wonderful sequel bringing us back to the little cafe in the basement where people can travel in time.
I enjoyed the new characters and their time travel stories.
Ienjoyed learning more about the waitress.
And I liked that there was a focus on the idea of a happy life, denying and allowing yourself one.
I can only recemmend if you liked the first book.
Caroline Middleton
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wholesome goodness
Aya
Jun 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
The author continued the tales of the time travel cafe in this second book. He wrote another four stories which touched the souls.

I prefered the first book, it was more clean cut. The second book kept referring back to the stories in the first book. I found that it wasn't necessary, each story should be unique and different.

Overall, it was bittersweet. We couldn't change the past or the future, we could only treasure the memories and live our lives to the fullest.
Chaimaa•_•Zahraoui
not as I expected but was okey
Kelly
Apr 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
I think I liked this sequel even better than the first. I find these little tales comforting and reassuring. This one would have been a 5 star read except one of the tales was a bit confusing for me.
Sébastien
Oct 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Cafe is the second instalment by Toshikazu Kawaguchi’s on the unique time travelling stories from Cafe Funiculi Funicula. Set in a small back alley of Tokyo, the cafe provides its customers a chance to travel in time and to experience it, all these customers have to follow a set of rules—they must sit in a particular seat, they cannot leave the café, and they must return to the present before the coffee gets cold.

The first book told the stories of four

• Gli affamati
  • Things Remembered and Things Forgotten
  • Earthlings
  • The Cat and The City
  • First Person Singular: Stories
  • Troppo facile amarti in vacanza
  • Goro Goro. La pesca della stella, il viaggio di Daruma e altre storie giapponesi
  • Il gatto che voleva salvare i libri
  • 82년생 김지영
  • A Kind of Spark
  • Le vite nascoste dei colori
Toshikazu Kawaguchi (in Japanese: 川口 俊 和) was born in Osaka, Japan, in 1971. He formerly produced, directed and wrote for the theatrical group Sonic Snail. As a playwright, his works include COUPLE, Sunset Song, and Family Time. The novel Before the Coffee Gets Cold is adapted from a 1110 Productions play by Kawaguchi, which won the 10th Suginami Drama Festival grand prize.

Before the Coffee Gets Cold (3 books)
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #1)
  • 在回憶消逝之前

News & Interviews

“Seasons flow in a cycle.
Life too, passes through difficult winters.
But after any winter, spring will follow.”
15 likes
“We can never truly see into the hearts of others. When people get lost in their own worries they can be blind to the feelings of those most important to them.” 9 likes