Start by marking “Ordinary Miracles” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Miracles

Ordinary Miracles

A train crashes at Paddington station. What follows is a series of dangerous and deadly magical incidents that no one could have predicted…

When wizard Mike Frost undergoes an unexpected elevation in his magical skills, he is sent to a training course to cultivate his newfound powers. But it soon becomes apparent that a deadly force is following his every move, using his po
Kindle Edition
Published July 13th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Miracles

Start your review of Ordinary Miracles
Julia
Aug 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
The blurb made me anticipate a fast paced historical fantasy, where an innocent bystander is drawn into the fight between good and evil.

First off, I DNF. I made to 32%. It could have been a good book, but there was so much telling swamping the story that it was a struggle to get through the chapters.
Sam Sigelakis-Minski
See full review at Sam's Beach Reads.

What I Liked:

One thing that I think Carey did well was the rudimentaries of his premise and his worldbuild. Ordinary Miracles opens with a bang (literally), as a train crashes into Paddington Station and disappears. We find out rapidly that magic is real, our character is a wizard, there are universities for wizards throughout the UK, and there is a governing body equipped with all of the necessities for containment – a PR department, cleanup crew, etc.
Tina
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-can-t-do-it
Thank you to Matador and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
To start off I must disclose that I DNF this book at 26%. I really wanted to like this book. I mean it starts train crash at Paddington station that is pulled off by evil wizards unknown. Poor Mike Frost is somehow caught in the middle and used as a tool for said bad guys.
Sounds exciting right?? Unfortunately, It was anything but. There was so must telling and not showing in the first 20% o
Heather
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Please visit my blog to read my full review: https://geeking-by.net/ordinary-mirac...

Ordinary Miracles is a refreshing new take on magic that takes place in the UK, and if you're under any inclination to read this because you loved Harry Potter, let me stop you there; this is most definitely not Harry Potter. It's a fact that the author, Martyn Carey, weaves into his protag
Maxine
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
When a train crashes at Paddington Station, Mike Frost uses all his magical talent to try to help. But as he's trying to dig someone out of the rubble, the train disappears. And, sadly, this isn't the first or the last magical disaster to occur.

When Frost's magical powers seem to increase suddenly, he is sent away with friends to train. But, as the disasters continue , it becomes clear that people like him, those with more than one magical talent are somehow linked, whether voluntarily or again
Peta Hardiman
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley for the review copy of Ordinary Miracles.

This book had a lot of potential that just didn't go anywhere for me. It could've been amazing, and instead, it was lacklustre and I found myself zoning in and out for large swaths of the book.

First of all, the things this book did well:

This book is set in the UK, and the author placed us (as readers) well at all times whilst writing - at least from the perspective of someone who lives outside of England.
The dialogue was snappy, a
Megrosereads
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it
SPOILER-FREE REVIEW

This book was not exactly what I expected. It is a more mature take on a magical world than I had anticipated but was an interesting read nonetheless. The description really drew me in and I love the simplistic but effective cover.

I enjoyed the main characters dry wit and sense of humour as it made them an interesting character to follow. The magical world and system was something I found to be quite unique which was refreshing to see in use.

However, as I continued reading th
Liv
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Firstly, I adore this cover. I think its stunning, and it is the first thing that really drew me to the book.

The story itself starts of really promising - a train crash in Paddington Station and the immediate aftermath are written in a slightly graphic but completely unflinching way. Plenty of questions are raised and none answered, but I didn't feel like that mattered because I was engaged enough to keep pushing through.

Unfortunately, after this strong start the book became a bit of a struggle.
Claire
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF 38%

There was so much telling that I felt like I sitting in a lecture. The main character reminded me too much of Harry Dresden, a book series which I would enjoy more if he wasn't the main character which is the same way I feel about this book too. Everyone else was more interesting yet I'm stuck with this bland character who is going to be special in a way that no one has seen before..

I think I could have powered through reading this book if it wasn't for Sam. Sam is from Hong Kong and spe
MizzyRed
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was not wowed by this story. I skimmed the many overly technical bits where Mike was explaining all about magic, taking the magic right out of it (they made my eyes glaze in boredom). I did not like the way Sam spoke, especially for someone going to magical university in the UK, her english would not be as broken as what was portrayed. All those bits made it hard to keep reading, even though I did wan
Allison
Jul 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, arcs
I really wanted to like this book, and don't get me wrong I liked the story but it got lost in lots of inconsequential information and narration. I feel that this book had a great base story with characters that we really could haved liked if there had just been less biased narration and simply switched to more detailed explanations. If Martyn Carey publishes another book in this world I will definitely be giving it a try and hopefully it will get better.
Thanks to netgalley and the publishers fo
CR
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Although I wanted to love this one I ended up DNFing it before 50%. I found that although it started out being exciting it didn't keep that excitement. ...more
Gasparde
Jan 30, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Il faut vraiment que certains auteurs arrêtent d'essayer d'écrire des personnages féminins. ...more
Annarella
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I think this is a well written book but I found the plot confusing and the story fell flat.
Not my cup of tea.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Terri
Sep 22, 2020
Kate_1910
Oct 01, 2020

• The Midnight Bargain
  • Not Like the Movies (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #2)
  • The Shadows
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • The Cup and The Prince (Kingdom of Curses and Shadows #1)
  • How to Break an Evil Curse (Chronicles of Fritillary, #1)
  • The Stranger Times
  • Persephone Station
  • One to Watch
  • Heiress on Fire
  • A Golden Fury
  • You Had Me at Hola
  • Spoiler Alert (Spoiler Alert, #1)
  • Fangs
  • The Archive of the Forgotten (Hell's Library, #2)
  • The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry