Start by marking “The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  13,729 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-winkle is an original classic by Beatrix Potter.

The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-winkle was first published in 1905, and is as charming today as it was then. It tells the tale of a hidden home high in the hills. It is discovered one day by a little girl called Lucie, who is in search of her missing pocket handkerchiefs. She knocks on the tiny door, and meets Mrs
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
Miss Tiggy-Winkle is a very industrious hedgehog.
She is also very sociable. ;)

She is also kind.

Replete with lovely illustrations, Beatrix Potter brings the hedges and hedgerows to anthropomorphic life.
The name of Beatrix Potter is familiar and loved the world over. She is famous for her delightful children's books about woodland animals, who are, of course, little people in disguise, as they wear clothes and behave exactly as their human counterparts would. The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is the sixth in a series, and features one of her most delightful characters, a hedgehog washerwoman.

Before these whimsical stories ever came to light, Beatrix Potter had been a respected watercolourist, illust
Mar 19, 2009 rated it liked it

Kids who've grown up learning to blow their noses in disposable tissues just won't get this book. It's tragic.
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, art
Such charmingly beautiful illustrations by the very talented and legendary Beatrix Potter. I almost squealed when Peter Rabbit appeared :) All in all, a sweet freshly-baked cupcake that warms the human heart ... but ends in a mystery too.
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite childhood Beatrix Potter story! Reread it for #readkidslit.
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrns
Read this with my nephew this evening...I never really did dig Beatrix Potter and I still don't apparently!
"Three handkins and a pinny"!

When Lucie loses her handkins (I don't think this word is even in the OED), she starts the search around the environs of Little Town to find them. She ends up discovering the cozy abode of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a very clean hedgehog in the process of washing her whites in the washing basin. As it turns out, Tiggywinkle is the village laundress, an expert in washing, starching, and ironing.

Tea is made, which I always feel is the best part, as it means I must also have my
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my 4 year old granddaughter's favorite books. It's such fun to read the charming story while she lifts each flap that reveals the hidden item and the last words for each page. When she visits I encourage new books and she typically enjoys them but she always requests this one--sometimes twice (or more). Nothing beats a favorite book, at any age.
Kimberley doruyter
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is my most favorite beatrix potter story
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
It's hard to rate Beatrix Potter's work. Collectively, they are cute, fanciful, and make me think of reading her work when I was a kid. This one is a sweet tale of a little girl and a laundry-doing hedgehog.
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time there was a young girl called Lucie, who lived at a farm called Little-town. She was upset for she had lost three handkerchiefs, handkins as she called them, and a pinny (a word rarely used these days but my Mum used to wear one - probably called an apron nowadays).

She was so upset at her loss that she cried and then went and asked Tabby Kitten, a speckled hen and finally Cock Robin; none of them could help Lucie.

Then, climbing on a stile, Lucie spotted some white things spread
Dione Basseri
Now, this Potter story just feels weird. Taken on its own, it's just a story of a young girl befriending a woodland creature and somehow failing utterly at noticing the woman is a wild animal. But, in the context of the other Potter stories, it feels...well, like a plot hole. While animals and humans have both appeared in this world, it has always felt like they're on two different plains of sentience. The humans feel and the animals feel, but their feelings and awareness can not cross, except t ...more
** Books 147 - 2017 **

3,1 of 5 stars!

such a cutie pie a Mrs Tiggy-Winkle as hedgedog who dressed as like humans! :p

Thankyou Bookmate!
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Väike tüdruk Lucie kaotas oma taskurätikud ära ning otsib neid kõikjalt. Ta küsib nii kassi kui kuke käest, kuid keegi ei oska teda aidata. Ringi kõndides leiab Lucie mäe seest väikese ukse, millele koputades, avab proua Tiggy-Winkle. Proua on ümmargune ja natuke omapärane pesunaine, kes peseb ja triigib kõigi ümbruskonna loomade riideid. Lucie veedab oma päeva sõbralikku proua Tiggy-Winkle't aidates ning saab ka oma taskurätikud puhtana tagasi. Lõpuks mõistab ta, et pesunaine oli tegelikult si ...more
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's the illustrations and minor details that make this story so charming. Like how Mrs. Tiggly-Winkle's spines poke through her bonnet. Or the chicken feet yellow stockings. And does anyone else wonder just what Jenny Wren was up to with all that currant wine? I also love how Potter has her whole cast of characters appear within the washing items. And to think a hedgehog was such an exotic and unknown animal to young, little non-British me.
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book answers the all-important questions in the mind of children in 1905: who does the laundry? And what laundry do other creatures have?

Informative introduction to the career of laundress, suitable for human and hedgehog readers alike.

I bought it.
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
So Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is a hedgehog. A hedgehog doing and ironing the laudry for everyone haha very cool! Oh Lucie, always losing her hankerchiefs! Good thing there is Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle to help.
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
This was beautiful and it had everything. A sweet girl, an innocent Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and the search for a missing handkerchief.

The story can be a dream or reality but it sure is something !
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, children
A classic ~ as are all of the books by Beatrix Potter!
Bushra Zia
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-classic
Do you need a second opinion on this book? Visit and explore OceanPearl Books endeavors to provide well-informed book reviews, business readings, parenting tips, and consulting services for our clients worldwide. And it's all for Free!

OceanPearl Books - Book Review
This is a tale of mischievous, little bunnies who always get into trouble by trespassing Mr. McGregor’s vegetable garden. Children fall in love with the Potter’s bunny family and explore Mr. McGregor’
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a re-read. I read most of Beatrix Potter's books when I was little. I remembered this as being one of my favorites. I wanted to see if I could still find something in them as an adult. I don't know about the others, but this is very much exclusively for children, and even then I don't know what I saw in it as a kid. There's barely a story here.
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
'...not waited either for thanks or the washing-bill.'
Jade Evans
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve just realised that they are all connected in some way and Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is the adorable granny figure to all of the characters.
Nicola Haigh
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been my favourite book since I was a child.
Jonathan Hutchings
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sonia Critchlow
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so sweet, such a lovely bed time story
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love how this one connects all the other books in the series.
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a different story as there was a little girl as a main character. I enjoyed the little hedgehog and I found the ending satisfying. The kids enjoyed this one too. I love her art work.
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Such a classic. One of my favorite books growing up. And my niece, who is growing up having never used a handkerchief, loves it too.
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Winter Story
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • What Katy Did Next (Carr Family, #3)
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99