Start by marking “Treasures of the Snow” as Want to Read:
Treasures of the Snow

Treasures of the Snow

A story of vicious revenge and hard repentance

Annette and Lucien are enemies. After Annette gets Lucien into trouble at school, he decides to get back at her by threatening the most precious thing in the world to her: her little brother Dani. But tragedy strikes. Annette is so filled with rage that she sets out to alienate and humiliate Lucien at every turn. As Lucien seek
Published July 1st 2001 by Moody Publishers (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Treasures of the Snow, please sign up.
Karen I read that is was written for ages 8 and up. I read this book to my children when they were in the upper elementary grades and we all enjoyed it.…moreI read that is was written for ages 8 and up. I read this book to my children when they were in the upper elementary grades and we all enjoyed it. Patricia St. John is one of those authors that tells stories that people of all ages will enjoy. (less)

Natalie Vellacott
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this Christian book that I read as a child and re-read recently. Annette decides that she will never forgive Lucien for hurting her brother Dani. And so she begins a revenge campaign involving many other people in their small community. But her hatred consumes her and she ends up hating herself for what she has become. This is an account of the power of forgiveness even when it seems impossible.

Recommended for children and teenagers.
Keren
This book has 26 chapters and is the perfect Christmas book. My family read this out loud as every December. Starting on December first, my mother would read one chapter aloud to us every night. After we opened presents on Christmas day, we would lie around listening to the end of the story. Even though my brothers and I knew the story inside and out, it's description of sin and forgiveness, and the loving grace of God was still beautiful every time. I can remember my mom starting to cry (every ...more
JD Sutter
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story was just as charming this time as when I first read it in school as a child!
Amy
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, children, religious
I wish this book was easier to come by. Although it's had some relatively recent printings ("relative" meaning in the last 15-20 years), I know it will never be a popular book. With it's decidedly Christian agenda, I'm sure it's far too preachy for the general public. At times, it was a bit sermon heavy for me, too, but really, the story was good enough that I could endure a bit of sermonizing.

Within the plot are three stories/layers of forgiveness: the girl who smashes the boy's horse in an act
Dave Milbrandt
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book as a child and wanted to re-read it as an adult to remind myself why it was so wonderful back then. To be fair, as an adult reader and now a novelist, I can tell you its simple structure and straightforward message is woefully out of place in today's modern world of ambiguity and flawed anti-heroes.

That having been said, that I think is the charm of the book. It is a reminder of a world that was more innocent and simpler. The book believes redemption is better than reveng
Brenda
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
We read this as a family and all enjoyed it. My only serious complaint are the few spots they author teaches kids that God promises to always protect them and never let anything bad happen to them. That is totally unBiblical. It did provide a chance for us to stop the reading and talk about that issue, which is good.
ryan z
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
After I have read this book, I noticed the theme is the innocence of childhood. They do not know about jealousness nor hatred.

The author used the story of a young girl and a boy, Annette and Lucien, letting God Jesus in and allowing him to love everyone. "But it is hard, after what he'd done." -Annette. Yes, it is a hard progress to forgive someone for their grave mistakes. But I believe that everyone should be forgiven at some point. Everyone had made mistakes and asked for forgiveness, it's a
Maria Nane
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am citit cartea aceasta cand eram copil. Acum am recitit o pt ca voiam să văd cum o simt la maturitate. M a miscat la fel de tare. Povestea, este mai degrabă o pilda, cu tâlc, strâns legată de biblie si Dumnezeu, dar e atât de frumos scrisa încat nici nu iti dai seama. Cartea este un șir de povete pt copii, menite să i faca mai buni, mai pozitivi, sa învețe să ierte, sa nu mintă, sa isi deschida inima către Isus.
Drăguță carte de citit in preajma Crăciunului. ♡
PaperTigerMaddy
Jan 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have strong memories of disliking this book as a child, largely due to its utterly vile heroine. I spent the entire book with an almost uncontrollable desire to give Annette a massive slap for essentially doing all she can to ruin Lucien's life.

Unfortunately, my hatred for her made it impossible for me to enjoy the book and so I fail to remember what merits (if any) it actually has.
Rike
"Erbauliche Literatur" im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes. Auch wenn es in einem christlichen Verlag erscheint, ich dachte, so schlimm wird es schon nicht. Doch.
Gott hier, Heilsgeschichte da, Bibelzitate und Jesus, der irgendwem ans Herz klopft, weil er eintreten will. Zwischendurch noch ein paar Erscheinungen und Engel und am Ende haben alle Reue gezeigt, ihre Fehler wieder gut gemacht und alle haben sich wieder lieb. Lukas ist der superböse Junge, wird dämonisiert, ausgegrenzt, Anette, ein Nachbars
Connie
This is a great book for parents and children to read together with opportunity for discussion.

The Goodreads description calls it “a story of vicious revenge and hard repentance” and that it is. It clearly shows that we are born inclined to sin. BUT there is a solution to the darkness that resides in us: Christ’s sacrificial love “drives out darkness and brings forgiveness and reconciliation” (a GoodReads reviewer).

I disagree with Grandma who, in her mostly wise, godly counsel, says that God p
Nelleke Plouffe
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this aloud to my 9, 5, and 3-year-old boys. We all enjoyed it.
Faith Spinks
A childhood classic re visited after my nephew read it and loved it. I still loved it just as much as I did as a child.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, religion
When we want to illuminate a dark room, we do not try to chase away the darkness before letting in the light. We simply open the window, and the light comes in. And when the light comes in, the darkness disappears. In the same way, we should not try to cast out the fear and anger in our hearts by sheer will and before we accept love and forgiveness. "Perfect love casts out fear." That is what I learned from this book.
It is a beautiful and convincing story, and it means a great deal to me.
Jennifer Trzeciak
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We had some wonderful discussions as a family after we finished on what a life belonging to Christ looks like. Such an excellent book, and I already can't wait to read this one again once my littlest kiddos get a bit older.
Peony
3,5 tähteä. Todella hieno ja koskettava tarina. Eikä Sveitsin vuoristokylä-ympäristö kesäniittyineen, lumimyrskyineen ja jouluineen pettänyt tunnelmassa. Tarina on vaikuttava, siinä kerrotaan ilkeydestä ja kiusanteosta, josta vahingon kautta kasvaa vakavat seuraukset. Tarinan "ilkimystä" käsitellään kuitenkin ilahduttavan ymmärtävästi, eikä asetelma ole lainkaan mustavalkoinen. Kirjan kristillisyys näkyy pitkin tarinaa viittauksina Jeesukseen, rakkauteen ja anteeksiantoon. Tämä ei häirinnyt itse ...more
Kathy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Second time I've read the book- this time with the boys. The first time I read it, I loved it! This time I noticed the theology that is most emphasized is quite off. The aging grandmother repeatedly said "perfect love casts out fear" and then continued to discuss how God would never allow bad things or danger to happen to us when we love him. I think this was spoken at least 5 times throughout the book. It brought about some good conversation with the boys about this theological error.
Drennan
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our family loved this book!! I have had many teaching opportunities come up in the weeks following reading Treasures of the Snow where I was able to reference the book to teach a principle to my children.
Alicia
This may be a children's book but it hits on some hard truths, in the format of a very enjoyable and beautiful story (set in Switzerland, which makes it even better). I loved it!
Cheyenne
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a really good Christian book that I would recommend to everyone!
Lisa
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book: another superb Christmas tradition.
Sara Arrigoni
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. I remembered it as being important to me as a child, and on revisiting it I see why. Full of biblical truths that I have not seen in current fiction.
ladydusk
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Own. Sister recorded as audio-book for the children.

We enjoyed listening to this book as a family. Please excuse any errors I make in spelling names.

The story of Lucien, Annette, and Danny was compelling and well told. The thoughts and motives of the children were explored in depth and clear. The obvious sin of Lucien; the not-as-obvious, easy to ignore sin of Annette; and Danny's selfishness were delved into, rooted out, and exposed to the light of the work of Christ.

The story, itself, had a p
Christina Pilkington
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had listened to this on audio book when I was about 7 or 8 year olds. I still remember being sucked into the story, drawn into this beautiful world, and feeling like I was a part of it. It was magical.

When I bought this book to read to my own kids this past month, I was a little afraid it wouldn't live up to that same magical quality I imagined the book held. Lots of other books I've read when I was a small child just aren't the same when I read them as an adult- they've lost all their magic.
Anna
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A wonderful read-aloud with the kids. Patricia St. John shows us the darkness that resides in even children's hearts and the power of Christ's love to drive out that darkness and bring forgiveness and reconciliation. Do be aware that the current in-print edition of this book has been "adapted" (i.e. dumbed down), so search out an older used edition. There was no need to tamper with this well-written story - even my five-year-old enjoyed it.
Demetrius Rogers
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids, fiction
What a heart-warming, wholesome, and edifying book to go through with your kids. Many opportunities to stop and discuss life lessons. Very glad to have picked this one up. Highly recommended.
Jurgen
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just read this again to my daughter. I read it twice when I was in middle school.
Charming story with very strong, albeit the controversial JudeoChristian value system (nothing wrong with that!).
Katie Bliss
Oh, such a sweet book!!! Loved the characters and the changes they went through, both from being stubborn and bitter (I can identify with that!) to grudgingly admitting they are wrong and, through the love of Jesus, being able to forgive others and themselves (I can identify with that!). Simple enough for any child to understand and follow, and also still totally applicable for us grown-ups too, this story definitely was lovely.

"'Those who persevere find more happiness in earning love than they
Natalie Print
I am torn about this book! I only discovered this as an adult, and on the one hand, I enjoyed the story, and how easy it is to relate to the struggles of the main characters surrounding envy, forgiveness, and love. Whilst I appreciated the desire to illustrate and explore what difference being a Christian makes, I felt at times like there was too much explicit teaching in the dialogue which didn’t always flow naturally. Having said that, I do recognise it is a children’s book which I’ve come to ...more
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • That Printer of Udell's
  • Teddy's Button
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • Mary Jones and Her Bible
  • Just David
  • The Lamplighter
  • The Swamp Robber (Sugar Creek Gang, #1)
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Almost Home: A Story Based on the Life of the Mayflower's Mary Chilton
  • Mother
  • Saved at Sea
  • Derwood, Inc
Patricia Mary St. John spent 27 years as a dedicated missionary to North Africa - and was also a prolific children's writer. Her books are loved and treasured around the world; some have been turned into stirring films. Gripping adventures which cover real life issues are her hallmark.
“Your skill can never buy you love. It may win you admiration and envy, but never love. If that was what you were after, you have wasted your time.” 8 likes
“God is love, and when we pray we are drawing near to love, and all our hatred must melt away like the snow melts when the sun shines on it in spring. Leave Lucien to God, Annette. He rewards both good and evil, but remember, He loves Lucien just the same as He loves Dani.” 5 likes