Start by marking “Where The River Begins” as Want to Read:
Where The River Begins

Where The River Begins

A confused and misguided youngster stays with a Christian family while his mother is institutionalized. The family helps him discover the source of the nearby river and the source of the Christian life.
Published June 1st 1980 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Where The River Begins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where The River Begins

Teresa
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just really love this English writer. All of her books are so original and inspiring.
Elaine
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
Another outstanding book for youth by this author. A story of unconditional love by one family toward a young boy who is troubled.

Ten-year old Francis has hard lessons to learn in "Where The River Begins." He doesn't know where he fits in since he thinks he is unwanted at home by his mother, his step father and step sisters. One sister in particular, he is always fighting with and it's he that gets blamed every time as though his sisters could do no wrong. He befriends a small Indian boy who is
Clement Lee
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A lovely story expressed in simple words, although I found it a bit laborious to go through descriptions of scenery, landscapes and nature since I hardly read them and after all I don't stay in the countryside. But that doesn't matter. What I like is how Ms Patricia illustrates spiritual things with natural things:

[Auntie Alison to Francis]
"God is like the source of a beautiful river - all love and happiness come from Him."

"I think our hearts inside us are a bit like that spring you found...f
LeAnne
Disappointing since her Tanglewoods Secret and Star of Light were favorites of mine as a child. This is too evangelistic and intent on making the symbolism clear. She uses multiple POVs, including adult. It feels like she read some articles about the causes and cures of juvenile delinquency rather that interacting with real teens.
Stuti
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Pretty good book. It had me kind of emotional. I wish, though, that it didn't stop so abruptly. The ending seemed just a little incomplete. I might/might not read it again. We'll see...
M Pau
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and inspiring story.

"But whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
Erin
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like Patricia St John's books! This one is a story of a boy whose life changes after he learns about Jesus from a family--not his own--who loves him, despite his problems.
Siminy McGarvey
DeAnne Dato-on
rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Patricia Mary St. John spent 27 years as a dedicated missionary to North Africa - and was also a prolific children's writer. Her books are loved and treasured around the world; some have been turned into stirring films. Gripping adventures which cover real life issues are her hallmark.