Start by marking “Surviving Savannah” as Want to Read:
Surviving Savannah

Surviving Savannah

It was called "The Titanic of the South." The luxury steamship sank in 1838 with Savannah's elite on board; through time, their fates were forgotten--until the wreck was found, and now their story is finally being told in this breathtaking novel from the New York Times bestselling author of Becoming Mrs. Lewis.

When Savannah history professor Everly Winthrop is asked to gue
Published March 9th 2021 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Savannah, please sign up.

Start your review of Surviving Savannah
Annette

The Steamship Pulaski traveling from Savannah to Baltimore, exploded 30 miles off the coast of North Carolina on June 14, 1838, claiming two-thirds of her passengers and crew.

Savannah, Georgia. Present day. Everly, history professor, receives an offer to be a consultant for the museum exhibit as the wreck of the steamship Pulaski was found off the coast of North Carolina. It’s about bringing “to life a wreck that has long been ignored, one that changed the history of Savannah, Georgia,
Marie Benedict
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spellbinding. Beautifully written with a masterfully crafted plot, Surviving Savannah leaves the reader breathless and marveling at the manner in which the past and present interweave in ways we almost cannot imagine.
Lori
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There is tragedy behind, and it trails us and walks alongside us, but still there is the great mystery of life after.’”

The Steamship Pulaski disaster was dubbed ‘the Titanic of its time’ yet most of us have never heard of it. The fight for survival was remarkable, especially given the time period.

Though I enjoyed learning about this event, I thought the delivery was a bit lacking. The present day story seemed to try too hard to mimic the original tragedy with too much time focused there instea
Judy D Collins
Exquisite! Ten Stars and Best Historical Fiction of 2021. Movie-worthy.

I finished SURVIVING SAVANNAH in two sittings and speechless! EXTRAORDINARY!! Hands down, the BEST historical fiction I have ever had the opportunity to read!

I knew NYT bestselling author, Patti Callahan was a master storyteller but this one is her best and a true gem. The best-kept hidden secret. I have had the opportunity of reading all her books. She was truly meant to tell this mesmerizing story, inspired by true eve
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
FULL REVIEW WILL BE ON MARCH 9.

Wow, Wow, Wow!!

Marvelous, Marvelous, Marvelous!!

A well-researched account of the sinking and recovery of THE PULASKI and its survivors along with a history of Savannah.

A truly addictive read you won't want to put down. 5/5

This book was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Literary Redhead
ASTONISHING
“Those bits and pieces of myself, of everyone, could be retrieved and examined; their stories could be told.”

I love Patti Callahan’s newest hf novel, SURVIVING SAVANNAH. It covers the 1838 tragic sinking of the steamship Pulaski, The Titanic of the South, after its boiler exploded. It’s a story I’d not known but will remember forever, thanks to the author’s enthralling narrative.

DIVINE SPARK
Callahan was visiting the city when a friend told her details of the Pulaski tragedy. It led
Jillian Doherty
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charming, and deeply researched; I adore a historical fiction that makes me want to Google themes as you savor the read~ helping one becoming even more invested in the story. She succeeded here in story, and style.

I also adore when the author’s note is as detailed as hers, offering rich background on what, and who inspired the narrative, local, and the extensive detail on the Pulaski itself.

If you’re looking for a niche historical deep dive, with beautifully balanced by characters of the past
Michelle "Champ"
As I write this I have just finished this wonderful book and I am completely blown away. First of all, I have never heard of this accident so I had no incoming knowledge of what was about to display over the coming pages. Second, this is my first Patti Callahan book (even though I simply adore her on Friends and Fiction), and I am now asking myself why I have not escalated her books up the TBR pile. Third, I simply could not love this book more.

Now about the book, it takes place over two time p
Sue
I am a major fan of Patti Callahan and have read and enjoyed all of her novels. This is absolutely her best novel yet and one of my favorite books of the year - would give it 100 stars if I could. She took a subject that very few people knew about and did deep research to make the story come to life. Be sure to read the Author's Notes at the end of the book about the research that the author did for this book and information about the real people that were part of the Pulaski story.

Many times wh
Jessica Strawser
I've long been a fan of Patti Callahan's novels, but Surviving Savannah may be my all-time favorite. Callahan pivots flawlessly from the character-driven Southern fiction we know and love her for into this wholly engrossing historical tale, based on the real-life sinking of "The Titanic of the South" off the coast of North Carolina. I have a soft spot for stories that take forgotten events and bring them back to life in startling color; Surviving Savannah does all this and more, unearthing burie ...more
Kristina McMorris
Readers are in for a memorable ride! I was fortunate enough to have an early peek for a cover quote and loved it:

Through the interwoven tales of three courageous women, Surviving Savannah grips the reader in a spellbinding novel full of mystery, tragedy, sacrifice, and resilience. Layering painstaking research with evocative prose, Callahan has penned an utterly transportive read while illuminating a heart-wrenching yet largely forgotten slice of American history. Superb.
Elizabeth
I would describe this book as "good". Callahan employed the often used, though not very creative, dual timelines where the modern day protagonist has issues but learns to deal with them through the lens of history. I was extremely excited about this book as I love a good southern story. Ultimately, it was pleasing but forgettable. There will be an audience for this book, though! ...more
Darla
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do we have a destiny? How do we survive the surviving? What happens to us after we live through tragedy both great and small? Is there such a thing as fate? Who do we become and why? Can we ignore our past if we are ashamed of it?-Patti Callahan

This is why we read historical fiction. The past shapes who we are today and we ignore or deny it at our own peril. Using the perspectives of three women (Everly in the present day/Lilly and Augusta from the 19th century), Patti Callahan gives us the stor
Linda
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A double time-line story that will touch your heart and soul.

This is a story of historian Everly Winthrop and her research into the little known steamship accident of the Pulaski in 1838. This is also a story of grief, resilience and soul-searching interwoven in the story of life-living, shouldering your grief, but never letting go of your choices for life.

Unexpected trauma and its after-effects can touch any of us at any time. How you go on surviving the pain, the heartache of loss, cherishing
Susan
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
1838 and the United States has a Titanic-like disaster. The ship Pulaski explodes on it's one-night voyage, as the wealthy families of Savannah try to escape the heat for their summer vacations up north.
Present Day Savannah, and historian Everly tries to piece together the unknown stories of the women and slaves of the disaster, who's harrowing tales did not appear in the newspapers of
Meghan
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was received as an ARC from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was in awe throughout the entire book of the history behind the ship and all of the stories of the passengers aboard. This is a book that can take you away and be part of the action and live through the ships experiences while secrets are uncovered and survivors are exposed. Such a jaw-dropping, historic tale that will leave you c
Jill
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Have you heard about "The Titanic of the South"? As soon as I read the description of this book, I immediately googled this event and it’s all true! In 1838, the luxury steamship Pulaski sank on its way to Baltimore with many of Savannah’s elite families on board. As was common at the time, they were headed north for the summer to escape the stifling heat and rampant disease of the South, bringing with them trunks of gold, china, silver, and household items – basically all the possessions they n ...more
Jenna
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, edelweiss
Review Coming Soon ♥️
Lori
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A powerfully written book about the steamship Pulaski. Just wow!
The author has done an amazing job in describing the sinking ship that I really "felt" the ship's pain as she "died." It made feel so sorry for the ship.
I can just imagine how the passengers felt as well. I could not imagine having to live after that. It'd be forever etched in my memory. I think at some point it would end up driving me crazy.
But, I think that I would also look at it like this. Only God knows how things will end. Onl
Claudia
This book started out very well. I was fascinated by the two storylines. In the first, a modern day history professor is called upon to prepare a museum exhibit for the recently discovered shipwreck Pulaski. She becomes embroiled in the research. The second involves passengers on the Pulaski in 1838. Initially I found both storylines equally interesting. However, as the book wore on into hundreds of pages, I definitely preferred the 1800s storyline.
The contemporary protagonist had so much perso
Glenda
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a big wow! I loved it and hope Patti continues to write historical fiction. She is a story finder AND a story teller extraordinaire.

"Surviving Savannah" is the story of the S.S. Pulaski, a steamship that sailed from Charleston, South Carolina destined for Baltimore but was lost to the ocean on June 14, 1838, when (it is believed) copper boilers exploded, tearing the ship apart.

The amount of detail in this book is astounding. The story primarily follows the Longstreets, a prominent f
Aimee
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is hands down the best book I have read all year!! I love Savannah and I adore Patti Callahan Henry's books. So to have the chance to read this one - it was a no brainer!! From the very first page, I was hooked. The main characters - Lilly, Priscilla, Augusta and Everly are people I became captivated with. They are all women with real problems, real issues. Women faced with unthinkable situations. Women who survive the surviving.

The little details bring this novel to life. You can clearly s
Kate
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This is not your usual historical novel, in that there are two storylines: One present day, one in the past. I especially liked the character Lily and found myself rooting for her. I was disappointed when her denouement was summarized, rather than dramatized.

How the past and present interlink in this book is interesting but at times felt overdetermined, not organic or smoothly written. I think with a tighter edit, this book could have been a more captivating read. It had lots of repetition. I f
Cathy Branciforte
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The description of this book was intriguing to me and I thought I would enjoy it more than I did. It was just okay for me as I found the dual timeline to be more distracting than enjoyable, skipping back and forth in short chapters, so I was unable to really enjoy either of the stories. At about one third of the way through I started to read every other chapter because I basically wanted to find out what happed to Lilly and the others on the Pulaski. I also skipped to the end to read the Author’ ...more
Jessica
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing for this advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Surviving Savannah is a story of hope, loss and perseverance. It's historical fiction based on the sinking of the steamship Pulaski . If you are like me, you've never heard of this before! This novel was an excellent read! There were a few slow parts but overall a good story .
Carol lowkey.bookish
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable and well researched historical fiction novel with dual timelines and multiple points of view.

The book centers around the explosion and sinking of the steamship Pulaski off the coast of North Carolina in 1838. The steamship was carrying some of the richest people in the country and their treasures. I relished learning about a part of U.S. history that I knew nothing about.

My favorite timeline was the present one where divers discover the wreck of the Pulaski and start to b
Debbie
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was an unforgettable story of the sinking of the 1838 steamboat Pulaski off the coast of Georgia. The author expertly takes us through the actual events while weaving a story combining the horrific disaster with those who perished and those who survived. The characters are well developed as we experience their journeys before, during and after their voyage. There is also a dual story with a present day museum curator who is putting together an exhibit of the sinking ship along with the stor ...more
Piepie
This book was a letdown after I enjoyed Becoming Mrs Lewis so much.

I liked the Augusta timeline better, but I must say that I found it to be a little predictable. The research and details were there, but seemed to be executed in a dry way. This book seemed to be unnecessarily long. I'm not sure I cared very much for Everly.

I liked this book overall, it raises some interesting thoughts. And it was a piece of history that I didn't know anything about. If you're interested in diving and shipwrecks
Melissa
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100in2021
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have never read anything by Patti Callahan, but I saw an author interview for Becoming Mrs. Lewis and immediately bought the book. When this became available pre-publication on Netgalley, I jumped at it.

I read quite a bit of historical fiction, and I thought Callahan's research showed brightly within the story. So meticulous, yet it did not read like a textbook. I loved the dual storyline and Everly
Carol (Reading Ladies)
4.5 Stars

Thank you #NetGalley @BerkleyPub #BerkleyWritesStrongWomen #BerkleyBuddyReads for a complimentary e arc of #SurvivingSavannah upon my request. All opinions are my own.

In 1838, a luxury steamship called the Pulaski (Titanic of the South) on route from Savannah to Baltimore sank off the coast of North Carolina as a result of a boiler explosion. One hundred eighty years later the remains are found and Everly Winthrop, a history professor, is given the task of curating the museum collection
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Download PDF/ePub eBook Surviving Savannah by Patti Callahan 1 1 22 hours, 35 min ago
also published as Patti Callahan Henry ...more

• The Nature of Fragile Things
  • The Invisible Woman
  • The Rose Code
  • The Lost Apothecary
  • The Sweet Taste of Muscadines
  • The Last Tiara
  • Past Forward: Volume VI (Past Forward #24-28)
  • Firstborn
  • Sunflower Sisters (Lilac Girls, #3)
  • The Newcomer
  • When the Stars Go Dark
  • The Last Night in London
  • The Woman with the Blue Star
  • Under the Southern Sky
  • The Women of Chateau Lafayette
  • The Children's Blizzard
  • Black Girl, Call Home
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)

Articles featuring this book