Start by marking “A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)

A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years #7)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  4,244 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Just after Caroline Quiner starts teaching at the Concord School, she runs into her fiddle-playing neighbor Charles Ingalls, who's full of plans to head out west. As their friendship turns to courtship, Caroline realizes that she has a difficult decision ahead of her -- and a choice that may mean leaving behind her family and everything she's ever known.

A Little House of T
Published March 15th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Little House of Their Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little House of Their Own

Katie
Oh, boy. Where to start? What I write here will be somewhat of a rant.

As I have mentioned before, I am reading/re-reading the Little House books this year (see the review/comments of Beyond the Heather Hills and Across the Puddingstone Dam). I decided to write something after each series. But with the Caroline series I decided to write something in the middle and at the end as there are 2 different authors telling Caroline's tale (see the review of On Top of Concord Hill).

I will start by saying
Sally
Jun 25, 2009 Sally rated it it was ok
I'd be interested in reading all the other fake Little House books... although this one wasn't that great - there isn't that charm of Laura's writing in this telling.
Ashley Perham
May 19, 2015 Ashley Perham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay! Caroline's the same age as me now! Anywho, I enjoyed the interesting look at schooling in this time period. I especially admired how Caroline taught her school and kept order in the classroom. The story of Friday (I don't remember his first name) was especially sweet! And then the big part of the book :D I loved how Charlotte's advice to Caroline, and I loved Charles. (He looks reallly nice on the cover :D) I sorta wished the book would have gone into more detail with the wedding and stuff, ...more
Naomi Sarah
Apr 09, 2015 Naomi Sarah rated it it was amazing
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

No really. I ADORE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. My copy... my you should see it (or perhaps you shouldn't, hehe). Yes, I love it. Caroline and Charles' love story... it's adorable. I love it, despite Caroline being so quickly-ashamed. I love it. I love it. I LOVE IT!

And I want to go to a corn-husking really badly.
Sadie
May 14, 2009 Sadie rated it really liked it
This is the final book in the Caroline series and I enjoyed seeing Caroline and Charles relationship develop. Another good book.
Janet
Sep 27, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
We loved this series. Now on the Rose!
Apr 14, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Caroline book. :) Great read.
Rosa Cline
This is the seventh and last book in the Little House books Caroline series. As with the others this last book was better than the first due to already knowing the characters and being able to just enjoy the storyline and being 'there in the moment' with them. A simple but heartwarming easy read, perfect to help drift your mind into another time and place before you have to go to bed. Love these books!

In this book Caroline goes back to her home and becomes a school teacher and takes to it very
Rebecca
May 25, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Returned from college in Milwaukee, Caroline Quiner begins teaching school in her hometown in Concord. She loves it, but there are challenges, and a recurrent distraction in Charles Ingalls, who is back at home and seems intent on courting her. Caroline knows that if she marries, she will have to give up teaching, plus Charles wants to move west, and Caroline wants to stay put. How can she reconcile everything she wants?

This last of the Caroline books takes Caroline to her marriage to Charles, a
Monty
Feb 10, 2008 Monty rated it really liked it
I just love all the Little House books; they tell about part of America's history and they are sentimental, plus I learn something about cooking, farming, going through hard times, being a good person and more in every book. This is the last of a seven book series about Caroline, Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother. So far I've read the Martha Series (four books about Martha, Laura's great grandmother; all of these take place in Scotland); four books about Charlotte, Laura's grandmother (these take pl ...more
Emily
Jul 21, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
I love this Caroline book. It goes through Caroline's life as a teacher and the struggle she had with her feelings about Charles. At first Caroline is confident that she wants to teach a few years before getting engaged. But then Charles comes back. She starts to change her mind until Charles starts to talk about leaving to go out to the west. Caroline doesn't want to leave her family. However her mother helps her to admit and realize that she loves Charles so it won't matter where they live as ...more
Samantha Aubrey
Nov 05, 2013 Samantha Aubrey rated it it was amazing
I found this book on a bookshelf in my house, and thought it looked interesting. I thought, according to the title, the book was about Caroline and Charles as newlyweds, starting a new life together. But really, the title "A little house of their own" is not even apart of the story until the very last chapter.
This story is about 17 year old Caroline Quinner, who becomes a schoolteacher. That is the main story in this book. In fact, she doesn't even get engaged until the last chapter.
No Mather,
Rachael
Aug 17, 2012 Rachael rated it it was amazing
The final book in the Caroline Series. I have now officially read all the Little House books and the companion books written about Martha, Charlotte, Caroline, and Rose. This is a journey I started back when I was in 6th grade now I'm a sophomore in college. It took me 8 years to complete. I loved these books even if all the facts aren't correct they are still books that transport you back to the time where life was simpler before running water, electricity, and cars. These are books that I hope ...more
Leah
Aug 07, 2015 Leah rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's just a simple, sweet story in the same vein as the Laura books. It mostly tells about Caroline's days as a teacher with a little of her courtship with Charles on the side. It was fun to read about their shy but steady attraction to one another. The twinkle in the eye, the pleasant fiddle playing, and the unruly shock of brown hair that we love about Pa in the Laura books are all here in this book. Events include an Independence Day celebration, a Corn-husking work party/d ...more
Sumi
Mar 26, 2008 Sumi rated it it was ok
The story of Caroline and Charles' courtship. A children's book, but still a read for those of us that have read the Little House books. I probably would have given it more stars if I'd been a child reading it, but as an adult I was probably expecting more than I ought to have expected. I also thought that the title made it sound as if more of the early days of their marriage would be the topic but it really was a case of 'The Events Leading Up to Getting A Little House of Their Own'

Nonetheless,
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 Kasey rated it liked it
This is by far my favorite book in the whole Caroline series. I found it fasinating to read about Ma and Pa's romance and seeing how it all started. I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three and a half stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Mary-Jane
Oct 29, 2015 Mary-Jane rated it really liked it
This final book of the Caroline Years series describes Caroline's joys and challenges in her first job as a teacher at her hometown school. She also spends time with Charles Ingalls, but prefers a stable life near home rather than his talk of westward adventures. When Charles shows Caroline a local piece of land where they can start their life together, Caroline wholeheartedly agrees to marry him.
Amy
This was hands down my favorite book of the series, I read it cover to cover in less than a day because I couldn't put it down. I saw so much of myself in Caroline in this book and identifying with a character like that always makes it more touching. I especially liked the stories of Caroline in the school, as an educator myself the stories were touching and reminded me of my own experiences as well as my reasons for choosing librarianship as a career.
Caroline
Jan 23, 2017 Caroline rated it it was ok
I tend to avoid these prequels to the Wilder novels, but sometimes I can't help myself. I appreciate the author's (authors'?) deliberate attempts to retain Wilder's own slightly formal style and tone, and I enjoy the speculative details of Charles and Caroline's feelings, hopes, and ultimate courtship, but generally speaking these books really feel like marketing with little substance.
Lauren
Okay, so this book made me really, really happy. I absolutely loved having a backstory for charles and caroline, aka Ma and Pa. And I thought it was pretty near perfectly executed. I was kind of dying. It was lovely.
Zoe
Mar 14, 2013 Zoe rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Probably the most like the original Little House series, this last in th Caroline Years series has great detail on some of the schoolteacher's challenges, as well as an I the resting look at a settlers cornhusking.
Joni Rupnow
Jan 28, 2015 Joni Rupnow rated it liked it
Nice ending book of the Caroline series. I was interested to see a mention (not by name) about the S.S. Central America which went down off of South Carolina with 20 tons of gold. I also found it interesting to see what was said about the Mormon Massacre.
Amber Riordan
Great book. Took me back to my childhood and reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books LIttle House on the Prairie.
Kaye
Feb 02, 2009 Kaye rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-teen
Little house, Caroline years. (Laura's mother)
Ruth
Oct 04, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing
so enjoyable
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Carolines first year of teaching and the personal expectations she has for her life, are interrupted by love and the romantic ideal of Charles Ingalls.
Anniemichellez
Oct 06, 2009 Anniemichellez rated it really liked it
It was a really fun book! The corn-shucking party is my favorite part! They all get snowed in . . .!
Kirsten
Mar 23, 2010 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Isn't it all about Caroline and Charles meeting? The rest of this book pales in comparison, but the courting part was pretty great.
Highjump
Apr 02, 2014 Highjump rated it it was ok
Caroline totally should have stayed a bad ass lady teacher.
Ally
Apr 07, 2010 Ally added it
Recommends it for: 11-12+
It was good, and left me with a good/strange feeling.
  • The Road from Roxbury (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #3)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own

Little House: The Caroline Years (7 books)
  • Little House in Brookfield (Little House: The Caroline Years, #1)
  • Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)
  • Little Clearing in the Woods (Little House: The Caroline Years, #3)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)