Start by marking “Candy Hearts” as Want to Read:
Candy Hearts

Candy Hearts

Tommy Siegel's Candy Hearts comics offer a hysterical window into the many ways romantic couples are not at all on the same page.

From the awkwardness of flirting during a pandemic to scrolling through disastrous dating profiles, Candy Hearts hilariously captures the secrets, lies, and misunderstandings behind every relationship. With dozens of never-before-seen comics an
Published February 2nd 2021 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Candy Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candy Hearts

Start your review of Candy Hearts
MischaS_
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I recently had an ARC for I Hope This Helps by Tommy Siegel and while that was not the biggest hit with me, in my review I said that my favourite parts from the book were those which included the candy hearts. So, of course, I could not pass on this one.

And I was not disappointed. It was a very quick read. Very clear, concise and straight to the point/punch line.

It took the best from I Hope This Help
Melki
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Valentine's Day is sneaking up on us again. This year, why waste money on flowers that are only going to wilt, or candy that will . . . well, okay - candy is fine, BUT - instead of throwing your money away on a greeting card filled with sentimental hogwash, why not give this book of comics featuring candy hearts that tell it like it is . . .

description

Your sweetie will either thank you for your brutal honesty, OR it's the last Valentine's Day that will cost you a dime. It's really just win-win with this co
Chad
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
A series of one panel comics centering on relationships using conversation hearts to tell inner thoughts. They are often quite wry and biting. It's a quick, humorous read.

Received a review copy from Andrew McMeel Publishing and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Briar's Reviews
I've been seeking some comedy in my life lately, and this book was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Candy Hearts by Tommy Siegel is an absolutely hilarious sets of comics featuring conversation hearts that have their thoughts written on them. It's insanely funny and had me chuckling and smirking as I read it. The comics are brutally honest and real (like one heart talking about himself and the other guy half listening but instead thinking about what he's gonna say himself). I seriously loved it!
♛ Garima ♛
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short, punchy and entertaining...

Natalie
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it

Candy Hearts is a funny and very relatable comic strip book. I've never come across Tommy Siegel's work before so this was an absolute delight to read.
The pictures are funny and show many truths behind the start of relationships, dating and marriage.
This book drew me in by the cover and I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity to read and review this book!
Geoff
Dec 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Very cute gimmick for this comic collection; putting those chalky yet tempting valentines candy hearts as stand-ins for people in romantic situations and making the candy hearts' pithy slogans wryly reflect the situation at hand. For example, one candy heart is giving a present to the other and the words on the giver read "For My Love Blossom, the Perfect Gift," while the receiver's hear reads "Wait, Do They Think We Are Exclusive."

More hits than misses, especially when the comics turn to love i
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
I don't know that any person can make me laugh as hard as Tommy Siegel and his demented, wonderful cartoons. This collection is just as good as his first, and may even be better, which is saying something because I really loved I Hope This Helps.

I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe at one cartoon, only to have the next one hit like a gut punch. He is honest and the cartoons aren't only funny but also show a vulnerable side to relationships, which are always oddly relatable.

Some of the Best
Carol Flores
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Such a hilarious, relatable comic!

In a few words, this book is a compilation of several one-panel-comics that illustrate what sometimes we are truly thinking –sometimes as a part of a new relationships and sometimes as someone who’s just tired of the same old partner. And it doesn’t matter if you’re single, I’m sure you’ll laugh about this too. We’ve all been there, I promise you.

I would totally recommend it because it’s a light-hearted reading but also because you can go through this in less t
Andrea Pole
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Candy Hearts by Tommy Siegel is a humorous, tongue in cheek look at modern relationships through the anonymity of faceless cartoon candy hearts. This is a quirky and unique take on the universality of our thoughts during social discourse, and there is something relatable here for everyone. The book is a lighthearted look at the struggles we all face while trying to make that deep human connection that is often so elusive. Recommended.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the
Wayne McCoy
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
'Candy Hearts' by Tommy Siegel is a collection of comics using candy hearts to show inner thoughts.

The comics are usually a couple candy hearts with inner thoughts about what they are thinking. The humor is in the way the thoughts are so juxtaposed and disparate. Since the figures are heart-shaped, the comics trend more toward relationships and dating.

This is an idea that could seem to run thin, but it doesn't here. There is even a section of comics about the recent quarantine and social distanc
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I don’t know who Tommy Siegel is but he has two new fans! This one looked very cute and funny and I can say that it was truly funny as well. And very true. 😛

I decided to grab my hubby along as I read this one. I know he likes these kinds of comics as well! We both loved the introduction, but then the real fun started. We all know candy hearts and the texts they have. Ranging from silly to weird to romantic. Well, these are not t
Theediscerning
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
So often books like this come along, merely collating some Internet comic yucks – and adding many not good enough for the Internet the book-buying public are supposed to feel grateful for – and leaving us getting very little out of them. Books like the first Tommy Siegel compilation I tried, which was hopeless. This is much superior to the norm, then – and to that prior volume. We generally have two, at most three, candy heart-type figures, with their real inner thoughts writ large for only us t ...more
Radwa
Dec 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I was instantly pulled in by the cover and this didn't disappoint. I would have to point out that it requires a certain sense of humor, some people might find it vulgar or not that funny, but it's mainly about relationships and the internal struggles in first dates, online dating, or even in long-time committed relationships. It was fun and I finished it in less than an hour.

I thank Netgalley for the digital ARC.
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
I received a free eCopy of this book from NetGalley. All opinions in this review are my own.

This was a much much more enjoyable book than I Hope This Helps: 500 Days of Comics and Extremely Helpful Guides by this same author. This one was pretty witty and did get a chuckle out of me in a few instances. The jokes were much better this time around as well. The art style is still pretty good! I'd like to see more of this from this author in the future!
Mimi
Loved the idea with the inner monologues as the text on the candy hearts.
Some of the cartoons were snort-funny, some made me smile, some were meh, but the overal was a nice quarantine distraction.

I received a copy for review through Netgalley, opinions are entirely my own.
Shazia
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, netgalley
i've seen a few of these candy heart illustrations by tommy siegel floating around on the internet for the past few months so when i saw that an arc of this was available on netgalley i didn't hesitate to request a copy. here is my very quick and blunt review:

the good:
- honestly kind of a genius concept to illustrate inner monologues
- if you like relatable humorous illustrations, you'll love this
- a very super quick read
- you'll most likely be reminded of a friend or someone you know from one o
Katie
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally funny.
Rylan Pearce (Read with Rylan)
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Candy Hearts is a collection of funny, relatable insights into how our inner thoughts and feelings are often at odds with our outward actions and behaviours. While these kinds of insights are commonplace in many other comic strips, the novelty of this series is that this internal monologue, typically expressed in this medium with thought bubbles or clouds, is instead emblazoned across the ‘bodies’ of the candy heart characters. This gimmick is as clever as it is simple and succeeds at making Can ...more
Sibil
Dec 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: readtoreview
Thanks to Netgalley and to the editor. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

This was fun. I was maybe hoping for something a little less cynical, and maybe a tad more... Humorous, but I enjoyed the reading. The part about tinder was quite brilliant, and it was a nice surprise.
Suradha
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the eARC of Candy Hearts in exchange for an honest review.

I adore Tommy Siegel's work and Candy Hearts is so fresh and insightful.. Almost like a Lorde album in its critique of its own themes. I've seen these around on social media but it didn't impact how it still managed to make me sheepish the exact same way months after.

Somehow the formatting of this book and the time set of the quarantine comics makes all the difference in taking these comics from a casual retweet
Tabrizia
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was just absolutely hilarious! Captures the ups and downs of relationships but with candy hearts! And I loved how it tied in with the COVID pandemic.
Siqahiqa
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
The candy hearts are referring to the inner monologue of ourselves. I liked the candy hearts cartoon as it is simple yet cute, but I could not relate much to the monologue.

Thank you, Netgalley, for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Publication Date: 2 Feb 2021
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
A quick read, some of it was funny and relatable
Natasha | readalongwithnat
I received a free eARC from Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

I can't wait for this book to be published because I definitely want a copy for my collection. This book is hilarious; I laughed out loud so many times my partner asked me what I was doing. Very cute, very relatable.
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book thanks to NetGalley and publisher Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

What a brilliant collection! I must admit, I wasn't sure what to expect from this when I requested it. The art looked cute but the humour seemed like it had the potential to be a bit basic. Not at all! I was pleasantly surprised by the variety and enjoyability of the humour in this collection. I genuinely really loved it and it's the kind of thing I would want my friends to
*Tau*
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, reviews
Do you know those sugar candies in the form of a heart?
Well, they're the main characters in this comic book's art

On their front you can read what they think, but do not say
Even if théy don't feel good, they'll surely brighten up your day
😄

Sweet or not?

For those who don't know this kind of candy: apparently they're called 'sweethearts' and this heart-shaped pastel coloured candy is sold around Valentine's Day. Every heart has a text printed on it, like 'Be mine', 'Kiss me', 'Miss You', … (if you
Geoffrey
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
(Note: I received an advanced reader copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley).

It's a pretty simple comic model that Tommy Siegel has created - anthropomorphized candy hearts set in some kind of very familiar relationship scenario, with their true feelings written loud and clearly on their bodies. It's literally nothing but this from start to end in this collection, and if you think that it would get old, you'd be justified with that rational assumption.

You would also be incorrect.

Granted, I s
Vaiomo ♡
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher for giving me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was reading this during class while I had nothing to listen to and do however that was a bad idea because I kept laughing out loud because this was simply just so funny! I didn't read too much into this comic and went into this comic with no expectations. I ended up absolutely loving this!

It was so funny how you absolutely needed no backstory or context in order to know what the comic was on about and all t
madison | readwithmads
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5 ⭐

I loved this book of comics! I follow Tommy on Instagram and had always enjoyed seeing his clever, hilarious candy heart comics. When I heard he was making a whole book of them, I had to purchase.

As expected, this book delivers some hilarious comics with some scenarios that I think many, especially millennials, will relate to. I just think the whole candy heart concept is so clever and these comics put a smile on my face! Some are vulgar which I'm a fan of, but if you're not just be aware.

Ove
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • When Sharks Attack With Kindness
  • Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy
  • What's Up, Beanie?: Acutely Relatable Comics
  • A Turtle's Guide to Introversion
  • Shine your Icy Crown (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Seriously! Are We There Yet?!
  • Living With Mochi
  • Delicates (Sheets, #2)
  • My Life in Transition: A Super Late Bloomer Collection
  • The Spy Who Raised Me
  • Just Act Normal: A Pie Comics Collection
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • The Neurotic Notebook
  • Thoughts of Dog
  • Gudetama: Surviving the Holidays
  • Why She Wrote: A Graphic History of the Lives, Inspiration, and Influence Behind the Pens of Classic Women Writers
  • Juliet Takes a Breath: The Graphic Novel