Start by marking “The Dating Plan” as Want to Read:
The Dating Plan

The Dating Plan

(Marriage Game #2)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  12,806 ratings  ·  2,086 reviews
Daisy Patel is a software engineer who understands lists and logic better than bosses and boyfriends. With her life all planned out, and no interest in love, the one thing she can't give her family is the marriage they expect. Left with few options, she asks her childhood crush to be her decoy fiance.

Liam Murphy is a venture capitalist with something to prove. When he lear
Published March 16th 2021 by Berkley Books

·  12,806 ratings  ·  2,086 reviews

Start your review of The Dating Plan
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We need more feel good, laugh out loud, warming your heart books like this! We need thousands of them! Because dear Sara Desai knows how to create amazing, quirky, adorable, smart, sassy and sexy characters, and absolutely knows how to write pant melting, steamy, hot as hell love scenes!

She has great sense of humor! Your stomach hurts after laughing too much! You fall in love with those crowded, loyal, deeply connected, genuine Indian relatives!

I loved Marriage Game a lot but I have to confess
Gabby
This was super cute and it was the perfect way to kick off the new year. This book has a lot to love: fake fiancé’s, fake marriage, and our main character Daisy is a software engineer (we all love to read about women with badass jobs am I right?😍)

These characters are adorable, they have great chemistry, they have very well-fleshed out families and pasts, and I loved how much fun the fake fiancé thing was. I love that Daisy is really good at math and numbers and she’s obsessed with the Avengers.
Julie Wawers
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was ok
Warning- this is about as harsh of a book review as I give.

I picked this book for my Book of the Month because it seemed right up my alley. I tend to love a romance where the characters have a backstory, and I like a non traditional female main character. However, I did not like this. It was entirely too cheesy. The main character, Daisy, was far too quirky. Like over the top-constantly wears Marvel underwear- quirky. And there was not enough relationship development between Liam and Daisy becau
Larry H
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I can’t seem to get enough of these sweet, sexy, emotional rom-coms! Add Sara Desai's new book, The Dating Plan to the list!

Ten years ago, Liam broke Daisy’s heart when he stood her up at the senior prom. He was her older brother’s best friend and a total rebel; she was the science geek with a major crush on him. She was ready to show him that she was more than just a lovestruck teenager, but when he didn’t show up for prom he disappeared from all of their lives.

Needless to say she’s utterly
Katie (katieladyreads)
PLEASE DEAR GOD, can we stop making girls ‘quirky’ just because they don’t wear the latest fashion? I have never met anyone that wears ‘patterned tights, colored sunglasses, and a hat’ but okay. It just screams ‘I’m nOt liKe OtHer GiRlz” and I’ve over it. Let a character have a unique sense of style and be nerdy without making it an overly done cliché. Okay now that I have that off my chest, this was a cute, modern romance. I really appreciated the authenticity surrounding Daisy’s ethnicity. I n ...more
Tina
This is a Fake Dating Romance/Chick-Lit. This book pulled me in for the beginning. This book was sweet cute and funny. I love the two main character, and Liam was so funny and a great fake boyfriend. Daisy family is the best, and they made this book worth reading. This book is beautifully written. (*)

This is my January 2021 Book of the Month pick.

Cait (Caitsbooks)
Check out this review (and more) over on my blog!
Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Quick Stats:
Overall:
4/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Plot and Themes: 3/5
Awesomeness Factor: 4/5
Review in a Nutshell: The Dating Plan is a cute and fun read, that’s perfect if you’re in a slump.

// Content Warning: Child Abuse (Mention), Abusive Relationship (Mention), Mature Content //

Release Date: 3/16/2021

Yes, you!

*gestures*

Yes, come over here!

*flails arms wildly*

I need you to listen to me when I say that PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING ON SARA DESAI'S WORK AND THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.

I thoroughly enjoyed Desai's debut The Marriage Game earlier this year and couldn't wait to read Daisy's story. If you're someone who loves your rom-com hijinks high-key, your protagonists full of tension (and steam), and your side characters fun and lil bit outrageous, you're in for a treat with Th
Melanie Pulsipher
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was ok
This was...disappointing. The premise is one that I was excited for but sadly I felt myself wishing for SOME kind of conflict to drive the story. It was literally what the title of the book is. A series of dates with a set of characters who already like each other but refuse to really do anything about it over small and insignificant reasons (and utterly fail at keeping their fake engagement a secret, almost everyone knew it was fake because they TOLD THEM).

The main pair were already into each o
zaira
Fake dating/fake engagement, childhood bffs-to-lovers, second chance romance..... THIS HAS ALL THE TROPES I LIKE. Also: brother's best friend and a hint of marriage of convenience!

Daisy and Liam were a fixture in each other's lives when they were younger. Liam's family situation was bad and so he often stayed with the Patels when things weren’t well at home. Eventually, Liam left town with his mother.

Upon meeting again, they end up with a fake engagement arrangement. Liam would inherit the famil
Bethany
Feb 06, 2021 marked it as dnf
DNF at 30%

Unfortunately I just don't think this book is going to work for me, mostly because I find the hero incredibly irritating and don't like him. I typically love fake dating/marriage of convenience tropes, I like the heroine who is a smart software engineer. But this is a romance, and unfortunately the hero is kind of a jerk but I think we're supposed to find it cute. He talks down on the nerdy things the heroine likes to do in the name of "banter" but really just comes across as him being
fanna
actual rating ↣ 3.5

April 04, 2021: a sweet + sexy adult romance with a classic fake dating trope that leads to adorable and emotional moments; cliché at places but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy — also, love the desi food references. rtc.

↣ digital copy received via the publicist ↢

July 28, 2020: When I see a pink-haired Indian heroine, I'm already sure I'll love her and now that I know I'll love her, I'm very much interested in this fake dating + enemies to lovers story OMG.
Ashley Lauren
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
1.5. Seriously.

I just.... there was truly almost nothing that I liked about this book. I started skimming it about 40 pages in, determined to finish. Decided my time was too valuable, put it down, then convinced myself it had to get better so I choked through until the last 3/4... and just gave up.

So - what was so bad? I mean, I love romance novels. Rom-com, the fake relationship trope - guys, I'm pretty forgiving at the end of the day when it comes to my favorite genre. But this... I think it
Jessica | JustReadingJess
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Dating Plan is a cute romantic comedy and a fake relationship. Daisy’s relatives are always trying to set her up on dates. Liam discovers he will only receive his inheritance of the family business if he is married. They decide to have a fake marriage, but for it to look real, they have to go on dates. During the dates they both develop feelings for each other. Can they move past what happened years ago? Why did Liam stand Daisy up for prom and disappear? They remember happy childhood memori ...more
Nursebookie
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Desai’s The Dating Plan is one enjoyable read in the fake dating, fake fiancée, and second chance at love trope that I really do personally enjoy in the romcom genre. The characters were great especially our main lead, Daisy Patel who represents STEM as a talented software engineer with a slight marvel obsession. At a conference, Daisy meets Liam, her childhood crush, who was also the same guy who stood her up on her senior prom night. They both have something to gain by pursuing their fak ...more
abigail
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was ok
pauline
Jan 13, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐️

This was a very light, very fun read to transition me out of my last read, which was HEAVY. So I felt like it did its job. I enjoyed the banter between Liam & Daisy; it didn’t feel like it was forced or cringey. I actually found myself smiling with how it was delivered. BUT, there were some instances where it felt like it was trying to lean towards “insta-love” while also trying to build up tension between them?

IDK, there were some 180 turns in their feelings towards each other which kind
Michelle
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a cute and fun read! Great palate cleanser and also a romcom where I was actually invested in the characters.

I think what I liked best was the diversity and cultural backgrounds provided on both families. This aspect made it stand out for me. I was also happy to have another lead female in the STEM field (similar to The Boyfriend Project). I appreciated how Daisy also didn't NEED a man in her life to survive and she was independent and capable on her own. Her love of The Marvel Univers
g.
the best fake dating book i've read so far. it was so fucking good. ...more
Allison
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: botm
this book exists in an alternate universe where hockey games are played in halves
John W
Jan 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021-read

There are no halftimes in hockey.
Caz
I've given this a C+ at AAR, so 3.5 stars

The Dating Plan is Sara Desai’s follow-up to last year’s The Marriage Game, and like its predecessor, it’s an enjoyable – if predictable – rom-com, this time a second-chance romance/fake-relationship story.  But – also like its predecessor – it falls into some storytelling traps and incorporates some seriously overused tropes; and although I had fun (mostly) reading it, it’s not what I’d call a memorable read, and I could only assign it a middling grade.

W
Ilhaam
When I read The Marriage Game I really really liked it, which is why I was so excited for this one. TMG was so funny and i loved sam so much. however, The Dating Plan was a miss for me. I feel like I couldn't really connect with Daisy or Liam, and it felt off. maybe it was just that I read it during a slump, but I was disappointed. There was a lot going on at one time and by the end I felt like there were certain unresolved plot lines/ things that could have been expanded on but were missed. How ...more
• Y •
Feb 25, 2021 rated it liked it
~ 3.5 STARS ~
note: the book cover gives me calligraphy vibes, hence the subsequent decorative font.

the plot:
this book tells the story of Daisy (h) and Liam (H) as they agree on a mutually beneficial arrangement; a fake marriage that will sanguinely fix their respective situations. it follows them as they come up with 'the dating plan' which entails planned dates and designed appearances together to make their fake engagement appear legitimate to overbearing, albeit loving family members, a d
RateTheRomance
Prepare yourself for a Slow Burn that will have you foaming at the mouth for these two to seal the deal! Author Sara Desai writes this story so well that you are just swept away with Daisy and Liam and their love story!

Daisy is amazing! Crazy-smart, an overachiever, a quirky nerd girl, and a lover of order and spreadsheets. I loved her so much. You guys...she wears AVENGERS bra and panty sets and I am so here for this level of fandom awesomeness.

Liam is so tortured and bad-boy, but turns out to
𝕕𝕒𝕟𝕖𝕣𝕪𝕤 ☾
One-sentence review:

would’ve been better if it was gay.

Full review:

3/5⭐️

So this was good. It was lighthearted and fun and cute and all that, but it was at the same time just...meh. I do think it was done well for a romcom, but to be honest, I’ve grown tired of reading the same plot and the same romance over and over and over again. We needed something new, and this is not it.

The plot: 2/5⭐️
You might be looking at my rating for the plot and a wondering if it was really that bad. And my answer t
Alice 🌙
3.75/5 ⭐
Hhhmm I've always loved the fake dating trope, and this waS was even better because the MC was a total nerd and worked for a company that sold women's products.
The romance was good as well, not to sexy, but it wasn't lacking. I enjoyed how it ended.
Sue
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The cute, predictable feel-good read I needed.💕
Maria
Mar 06, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

Thank you Penguin Random House Canada for sending me a review copy in exchange for an honest review!

This book was ridiculously over the top, but also really fun to read at the same time. I think the characters were a little bit immature, and a little extra also. In the end, I read this book for a fun, in-between before a darker book, and it served its purpose - a mood booster!

Despite the characters, I think a fun quick read is what we all need once in a while, and this book fits the
Liber_Lady
ARC review

3.5 Stars

The Dating Plan is a mixture of Fake engagement/dating + second chance romance+ sibling's best friend romance, all rolled into one.

Daisy Patel: She is an Indian Canadian, senior analyst/developer in a women's hygiene company. She has Mommy/abandonment issues. So, she doesn't form any serious bonds or commitments with people in her life, be it her office colleagues or in her romantic relationships. She doesn't want to get married but at a ripe, marriage age, she is hounded by h
Book of The Month: The Dating Plan *Spoiler Discussion 7 73 Jan 21, 2021 11:34AM

• People We Meet on Vacation
  • The Unwinding of the Miracle: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Everything That Comes After
  • Beyond the Point
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • Hell and Other Destinations: A 21st-Century Memoir
  • A Stolen Life
  • The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily (Dash & Lily, #2)
  • All the Young Men
  • Straight from the Horse's Mouth
  • The Woman in Red
  • How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mysteries, #2)
  • Punching the Air